Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CMF Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Right now Baldur's Gate Complete Saga is on sale at Steam and Good Old Games for 50+% off. $90 value down to $35. Good time to buy if you didn't own already.

apprentice
apprentice
Endless fun! I’m playing again right now.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I wouldn't be here if I didn't love the original games. I probably play them every other year. I didn't own the EE soundtracks though, so I went ahead and snatched those up. 🙂

S
Banned
Banned
S
Still demanding money for 20+ years old abandonware games. The gall.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Stahlhengst

They are Enhanced Edition? Made and supported by Beamdog...

veteran
veteran

Unbelievable isn't it ?
They can still sell those games 20 years after the original release...

I hope it will be the same for BG3^^

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran

Blink twice if someone's holding a gun to your head and making you buy them.

I'm a huge D&D fan so I really want to play the original BGs... but I've tried and I just can't. Between the super dated look and the atrociously complex class/race mechanics (and confusion in data from BG1/2 vs BG EE) I just felt overwhelmed. Please convince me otherwise or help me get past all that and into the game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nezix
I'm a huge D&D fan so I really want to play the original BGs... but I've tried and I just can't. Between the super dated look and the atrociously complex class/race mechanics (and confusion in data from BG1/2 vs BG EE) I just felt overwhelmed. Please convince me otherwise or help me get past all that and into the game.

Can't help if you need your game looking good just to play it. Mechanic wise, game comes with a pretty good manual and youtubers have posted vids about thac0.

Originally Posted by fallenj

Can't help if you need your game looking good just to play it. Mechanic wise, game comes with a pretty good manual and youtubers have posted vids about thac0.

I can probably get over the graphics, and I understand THACO, it's the multiclass vs dual class on top of there being some confusion about how all that changes between BG 1 and 2 and where exactly BG EE fits into all that.

old hand
old hand

I can probably get over the graphics, and I understand THACO, it's the multiclass vs dual class on top of there being some confusion about how all that changes between BG 1 and 2 and where exactly BG EE fits into all that.

I've put probably half hour into playing the game and a hour plus looking stuff up. So i could be wrong but, duel class is only for humans an you gain features from both classes that multi classing does not. Multi is only for non human races. Classes are race locked also. So no halfling bard (cried to sleep on that one).

I'm not picking up bg2 till I finish one & the dlc for bg1 is made by beandog (from what I read they radically changed how npcs act).

Bg1 EE is the edited version beandog did to try an fix stuff years ago. From what I read they changed stuff from the original that never needed changing. I don't think it's possible to pick up a copy of bg1 without it being EE though.

Last edited by fallenj; 30/10/20 03:14 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've personally just picked up Icewind Dale:Enhanced, in parts because with the original I'd never much tried the multiplayer. If anybody's interested...

veteran
veteran
I could use an iOS sale. My laptop is dead and I could use something to play on my tablet. I don’t feel like paying £10 for another copy of BG1 though.

addict
addict

My advice would be ignore dual-class. Dual classing is only available to humans - it's more or less like multiclassing in 5e (yeah, the naming is confusing), but with many restrictions:

Humans may not MULTI-class, but can instead DUAL-class, starting from a Level 2 kitted or a unkitted class onward. By doing so, they cease to advance in their current class and start to develop a new, unkitted class from its Level 1. Once they have changed to a second class, they cannot go back to the first. In addition, the abilities of the first class become unavailable until the second class reaches one level beyond the level where the first class stopped. This option may only ever be done once, even if the requirements are met for more than one new class.

IMPORTANT: The experience cap in Throne of Bhaal is 8,000,000, experience points from both the exact XP requirement of the level of the first class and the total XP from the second class count towards this total. Please make sure that there're sufficient points left available to progress high enough in the second class.

(From the wikia)

I wouldn't touch dual until you know what you're doing or look up a guide. (Personally I just dislike dual-classing, so I might be biased.)

Multiclassing is basically being two classes at the same time - you split XP between them. Can't really go wrong with multiclass, though some are easier to use effectively than others. I'd also suggest not picking pure thief, I found I only needed "half" of a thief in my recent playthroughs - but if you do need more thieving power, there's a lot of thief companions in BG1 to choose from. (I usually go Fighter/Thief for my PC.)

Or you could always go with pure class - multi/dual is strong in BG1/2, but you might want to go pure caster for accessing higher level spells earlier.

Just mess around with character creator. wink There's also a neat table on the wikia.

As for changes between BG1 and 2 - 2 introduces some 3e content/rules, though I think it was only the case in the classic versions and EE allows you to use all the character options in BG1 as well. (I'm playing classic versions, so take it with a grain of salt.)

S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Unbelievable isn't it ?
They can still sell those games 20 years after the original release...

I vaguely remember a Einstein quote about two infinite things and human stupidity.

Also no, Beamdog is not the developer of anything, they're just modders. Inserting their homosexual/transsexual agenda into bg because le current year.

veteran
veteran

Also no, Beamdog is not the developer of anything, they're just modders.

I don't think that's fair. While I am not a fan of them adding new content, they probably overhauled quite a bit of the engine. EE has features that old games don't have. Considering how many new bugs EE had, I imagine the changes were quite substantial substantial.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, this is my first Enhanced Edition (Icewind Dale), so far I think they did a good job on that. Even smaller stuff, such as the looting, such a small thing, but quality of life improvement. Are they ever going to make their own RPG? According to their website, they seem to be looking for Unreal Engine programmers, amongst a couple other things.

Now that BG3 is out of the cards, Icewind Dale 3, make it happen. laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 30/10/20 07:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sven_
Well, this is my first Enhanced Edition (Icewind Dale), so far I think they did a good job on that. Even smaller stuff, such as the looting, such a small thing, but quality of life improvement. Are they ever going to make their own RPG? According to their website, they seem to be looking for Unreal Engine programmers, amongst a couple other things.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, they say they are working on an RPG that does not use a license and is an original IP and using the Unreal 4 engine.

W
veteran
veteran
W
They are working on developing their own IP. Good for them.

I do hope that someday the missing IWD2 source code is found, because I would like an EE of that to complete the collection.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

Multi-class = you progress your selected classes at the same rate. Not available to Humans

Pros and Cons:
- You get the best of both worlds when it comes to Thac0, saves, proficiency etc
- HP is averaged between classes and you don't get max proficiency (i.e. Fighter/Mages can only specialize in weapons (2 points))
- In ToB you can access High Level Abilities (HLA) for both classes more easily (as soon as you hit 3 Million XP)
- No kits (main class only, so no Kensai/Mage, etc).

Dual-class = only available to Humans. You basically "change jobs". The result is you mainly play a new class, while retaining some benefits from a previous class. Powerful because of how front-loaded progress is in BG 1/2.

The process goes:

1) Start off normally as Class 1 (i.e. Fighter). You can choose to introduce Class 2 at any time (you'd want to do it right as you cross into a new level)
2) Relearning Period (Class 2 is catching up to Class 1. Your character is handicapped - You forget the skills of Class 1 and you're basically playing a brand-new character of Class 2 with an existing larger HP)
3) Dual Class 1/Class 2 (Class 2 caught up. Only Class 2 continues to progresses. Class 1 abilities are remembered and you take the best of Thac0, saves etc from the 2 classes)

The length of the relearning period is determined by how far you've progressed in Class 1.

Pros and Cons:
- You get the full HP on level-up prior and after dualing. Because of the way HP is gained in BG2 (only full HD up to level 9), you can end up with more HP going Fighter to Mage than a Fighter/Mage multiclass. However, the inverse is also true.
- Dual class means Class 1 can be kitted (more powerful combos). However, Class 2 is still main class only (so you'll never have a Kensai/Assassin)
- Obviously, the "relearning period" sucks, especially the more you progress into Class 1
- Usually less HLAs. Essentially you need to hit the 3 Million XP individually for each class to get HLAs. This means most people don't see Class 1 HLAs (since you don't want a 3 million XP+ relearning period).
- You can split the 8 million XP cap more efficiently between the 2 classes

Last edited by Topgoon; 30/10/20 09:40 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard