Hi There
I have the following setup:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-9700K, 3,6 Gig, 8-Core

GPU:
GeForce RTX 2070

RAM:
16 Gig

While this is not high-end hardware its still pretty good and works with all games perfectly, even with the highest graphic settings. When it comes to BG3 however, I recognized the following (of course I closed all other CPU related programs at the time):

- CPU usage is alwys about 80-95%
- Especially when rotating / moving the camera, CPU usage can go up to 100%. Game can become stuttering.
- Graphical settings do not seem to have any impact. I lowered resolution, model and texture details, but the CPU usage remains high
- Using Direct X instead of Vulcan DOES have an impact. Direct X reduces CPU usage, but it still stays quite high

I tested mainly in the druid grove.
Is this a known problem, is this by design or is my hardware just too bad (don't think so)?

N
stranger
stranger
N
I have noticed that BG3 rides fairly high on CPU as well. Similar system:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.50GHz 101 °F
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1203MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX Z270F GAMING (LGA1151) 87 °F
Graphics
27MP33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (EVGA) 126 °F

addict
addict
This new Divinity 4.0 engine is an absolute resource hog.
I don't know the first thing about the technical stuff, but I've never seen a new iteration of an engine go from the smooth and overall fair playability of how 3.0 felt to this overbearing monster of an engine.
There don't seem to be any shades of grey in between low and high settings. You're either stuck with literal pixels and visible blocks for shapes on low, or next-gen top-tier graphics on high.
Medium settings are just high settings with less moodier lighting and entirely too much brightness.
I've never seen such a disparity between settings before, and I really hope it's just because of the Early Access process.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

journeyman
journeyman
Honestly, running afterburner and I haven't seen this at all.

2700x
rx580
32gb

Using Vulkan. I haven't seen my cpu get over 35% usage.

K
Kokonut Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
It basically only happens when moving the camera around with arrow keys. If camera is static, CPU usage is also much lower. I don't use overclocking or anything.
However, I have Hyper-V enabled but I don't think its an issue since I do not have such problems with any other game.

Hope this will be fixed in EA. I saw some similar Threads about this issue on Reddit too.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Optimization usually comes later during development, so that is to be expected.

B
stranger
stranger
B
They said since launch that optimizations would come later (it's usually one of the last things you do in game development for what I understand). Just be patient.

old hand
old hand
The new patch made it so when im scrolling, if I have youtube up on my other monitor, it freezes and audio goes graggagsrgxgxgzzxzxsjjjdskd until it finishes allocating memory. Its locking like hell now.

Monitor 1, 34" 4k curved
Monitor 2, 24" standard 16:9

Intel i7 4820k overclocked, liquid cooled
32 gigs system ram
Nvidia RTX 2080ti 32 gigs ram, liquid cooled
500gb dedicated SSD (this is the only thing on that drive)

Used to be fine, new patch borked it, I feel like I shouldn't be crunching too hard on this. The last patch also raised average GPU temperate from 39°C to 47°C.

Good times

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
old hand
old hand
Yeah, I've been noticing this too. I'm hoping that future optimization passes will clear it up.

Stranger than life
Stranger than life
Yeah my psu just blew when I left this running overnight by mistake after 4 years service, and this game makes the fans blow out more hot air than the Montgolfiers' press call. It's a beast.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I got this response from Support on October 15 after I mentioned the tough time my computer was having in my ticket:

As for your system getting put to the test, the team is actively looking to optimise and improve the game's performance, so this will with any luck improve as time goes by.

veteran
veteran
I honestly think the latest patch made things worse for me. I think the game is crashing less, but the frame rate really dropped.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."

Link Copied to Clipboard