Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, it sure is true how most DnDers overestimate their IRL stats smile People saying:'' I have 16 intelligence, I'm above average'' No, above average is 11-12. 16 is borderline genius level, that's like less than 1% of the population. with that said...

Str: 15 I am genuinely stronger than about 95% of people I've met in my life, but there are people that are way stronger than me.
Dex: 8 Below average, I'm the guy who could trip tying my shoes and I'm generaly clumsy. Forget stealth
Con: 16 At least as good as my strength. I don't get sick, ever. Never broken a bone in my body and played contact sports all my life. Been a bouncer for years and shrugged off injuries/hits that would KO most people
Int: 12 I do a lot of mind puzzles and games and am a knowledgeable person, I also have a pretty good memory. Good grades in school also.
Wis: 9 Made some questionnable descisions in my life. If you give me 2 choices, I will usually pick the wrong one.
Cha: 11 Nothing special. I put it slightly above average because I am a teacher and have to speak in front of a group everyday and not everyone can do that. I won't be the guy to rally people though.

How is everyone's stats so high? i'm a peasant across the board. Hell, my strength and constitution are probably 9's.

enthusiast
enthusiast
NAME - Mean Joe Soymilk
DEITY - Karl Marx
RACE - Bi-Pedal Soybean
CLASS - Gender Studies
STR - 6
DEX - 3
CON - 4
INT - 3
WIS - 3
CHA - 3

But seriously I have the rolls written down.

Ranger BM
Wood Elf
Lv - 9

1) 1-2-5-6 - 14 STR
2) 1-1-5-6 - 14 CHA +2
3) 4-4-5-3 - 14 INT +1
4) 4-6-6-2 - 16 WIS
5) 6-1-4-6 - 16 CON
6) 3-5-6-5 - 17 DEX +1

Last edited by Soul-Scar; 30/10/20 07:29 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
People really overestimate themselves, it seems. 16-18 in a stat means you're among the best that humans have ever been. You should be famous if your stats are that high.

18... maybe you're up there with the best of the best. But we "would be the heroes" of our game. Pretty much means everyone we have ever encountered in D&D is best among the world. A lot of NPCs have decent stats. 18s.. not so much for sure. But harping on someone because "they are full of themselves" is just silly. But almost ANY professional athlete would be breaking the 18s and getting 19s etc. That is what sets them apart.

addict
addict
People really overestimate themselves, it seems. 16-18 in a stat means you're among the best that humans have ever been. You should be famous if your stats are that high.

My proficiency in Ego adds 3 to all baseline attributes.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict
Nine months in character creation, eh? Then I'll bet you didn't start out with that strength ... that probably resulted after 168 more months of development. There is some relevance to BG III in this topic, because the 3d6 scores are supposed to somewhat correlate to the human statistical spread of abilities., and that gives a sense of realism to the game. It's the old "bell curve" again, where an 18 represents the top 0.5% of the population, 17 is in the top 1.9%, 16 is the top 4.7%, etc.

D&D originally tried to put some objective realism into the strength and intelligence scores. Strength is roughly 1/10 the number of pounds a person could lift in a military press, which I think is where you push a weight up over your head. So a person with a strength of 10 can lift 100 lbs overhead. That is actually pretty good in my book! Intelligence was supposed to sort-of correlate to the IQ score, although it also included memory capacity and some other ill defined stuff. If we stick to IQ, and use the standard scoring where the average is 100 and the standard deviation is 15, then if I do my math right, an IQ of 115 would be in the top 15.8% of the population, and that corresponds to a 3d6 roll of about 14. The other ability scores are much less correlated except by comparisons to real people. I've always associated high dexterity with Olympic gymnasts, though I have to say, some of that yoga stuff is just as impressive. Wisdom and charisma are very hard to nail down, although I think everyone has an understanding of them to some degree.

After you reach 18, the statistics have no more relevance to the human population. D&D 5E keeps giving you ability points beyond 18, so your fighter can end up with a 22 natural strength. You are then well outside the realm of normal probabilities, no longer fully human but infused with magic and godlike power ... until it's time to go to bed and then you are your normal self once again.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Argyle
After you reach 18, the statistics have no more relevance to the human population. D&D 5E keeps giving you ability points beyond 18, so your fighter can end up with a 22 natural strength.

Adventurers are generally limited to a maximum 20 in attributes. Points spent on anything over 20 are wasted.

old hand
old hand
5e nerfed everything that let your character become awesome.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Argyle
After you reach 18, the statistics have no more relevance to the human population. D&D 5E keeps giving you ability points beyond 18, so your fighter can end up with a 22 natural strength.

Adventurers are generally limited to a maximum 20 in attributes. Points spent on anything over 20 are wasted.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure only Barbarians can break the stat limit of 20 for their Str and Con.

old hand
old hand
Which makes

Which in turn makes sense, as you no longer get the insane AC's to beat, either. A 20 STR Half Orc will hit consistently at all levels.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
virion Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
"D&D originally tried to put some objective realism into the strength and intelligence scores." Dayum, had no idea. I just put random numbers like everyone lol. But earlier post form Sadurian made me wonder if it was indeed always the case. And... turns out people didn't change that much in 20 years.

Including forum moderators.

Below is a link to a BG2 forum from 2000. I found a similar thread pretty much immediately xD And here I thought I was being original.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48965

Gotta say we didn't max out our stats as much as them so maybe D&D players became more humble over time?

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Which makes

Which in turn makes sense, as you no longer get the insane AC's to beat, either. A 20 STR Half Orc will hit consistently at all levels.

I honestly don't like bounded accuracy. I liked the huge ACs and such of the previous two editions.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by virion
Below is a link to a BG2 forum from 2000. I found a similar thread pretty much immediately xD And here I thought I was being original.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48965

Gotta say we didn't max out our stats as much as them so maybe D&D players became more humble over time?

Well, I thought the ones I'd seen were bad, but this one might need a dose of self-awareness (to spare his blushes I am not posting the name).

Here's mines.............

STR - 17

INT - 16 - I don't really count myself as clever because there's no limit to how much someone can know. What maybe an 18 to me might be a 3 for say........a mathematician.

WIS - 0 - No I don't have any wisdom even though I hear more than enough of it everyday.

DEX - 23 - Gained by years and years of Kung Fu Training. High kicks, punching stone bags - yout get the idea...........

CON - 13 - I have been an asthma sufferer, not to mention my dad smokes 20-40 a day so therefore I thank god I'm still alive!! However it isn't so bad now so I don't consider myself to be poorly.

CHA - 18 - Every gets on fine with me, I can't think of one person who really really hates me for what I am. (except for my pet cat when I forgot to let her outside!!)

old hand
old hand
23 Dex nice. Spider Man is a gamer, it seems!

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I love the 'CHA 18' and the subsequent comment. He may be right about WIS 0.

Last edited by Sadurian; 30/10/20 08:46 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
. But almost ANY professional athlete would be breaking the 18s and getting 19s etc. That is what sets them apart.

No, that's the point of an 18: no one gets an 18 except the strongest men, or the most intelligent persone, or the most beautiful women. 18 IS the pinnacle of the human body, period. 19, for me, is like Legolas in LoTR: the guy has 19 dex, no one does what he does.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
. But almost ANY professional athlete would be breaking the 18s and getting 19s etc. That is what sets them apart.

No, that's the point of an 18: no one gets an 18 except the strongest men, or the most intelligent persone, or the most beautiful women. 18 IS the pinnacle of the human body, period. 19, for me, is like Legolas in LoTR: the guy has 19 dex, no one does what he does.

Hmm I guess in 5e stats were toned down. My brain always thinks of 3.5 when it comes to stats. It just won't stop.

addict
addict
Safe to assume that the same people complaining about these stats being too high are the same Debbie Downers who are whining in posts about BG3 being more like DOS3 and not being faithful enough to 5e?
Relax, it's meant to be a fun thread.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

J
stranger
stranger
J
STR 10
DEX 13
CON 8
INT 15
WIS 12
CHA 16

journeyman
journeyman
Interesting. So the "rules" are:

Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying Capacity (or 30 times your Strength score). While pushing or dragging weight in excess of your carrying Capacity, your speed drops to 5 feet.

Which would make Hafthor Bjornsson str 36 as he holds the record for Dead lift at 1100 lbs.... but potato potato...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard