Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I cannot fathom, for the life of me, what Warlocks are for, or how to use them. I couldn't figure them out in NWN2, or in 3.5 to begin with, and I still just don't get them. What do they do?
Wyll is.. kind of sucky as a Wizard, kind of sucky as an archer, kind of sucky as a melee combatant. I must be doing it wrong, what is it?

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Eldritch Blast!!!! Also, when you get to level 3->4, give him some weapon proficiencies so he can use bows and other types of weapons effectively (note - the default feat you get on level up is to increase some of the basic stats. However, you can switch feats and choose to learn weapons and shields).

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yes, I was planning on that feat; although I was inclined to give him medium armor proficiency. Weapons might be better.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Your spell Hex adds 1d6 damage to attacks you make. This includes Eldritch blast and Scorching Ray. Make sure that you always have Hex up, as long as you aren't in danger of losing concentration. You only have to use one spell slot on it, because once you kill someone who has been hexed, you can cast it again for free on another enemy.(Make sure you use re-apply Hex spell, it's separate from Hex.)

If you have a target that really needs to go down, Scorching ray can deal 9d6 to a hexed target.

Take the invocation that adds Charisma to your Eldritch Blast for an extra 3-4 damage. You should boost your CHA at level 4. It will give you more accuracy and damage. You don't need to worry about weapons, because you will almost never deal more damage with them than Eldritch Blast.

Don't forget you regain spell slots on a short rest.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
In terms of gameplay a Warlock is kinda a wizard with less spells (and spell-slots), but he's got a really powerfull ranged-damage cantrip (ELDRITCH BLAST). Also he gets back his spellslots on a short rest and all spells are always cast on max-level.

And additionally he uses CHA to cast. So he's really good at talking too. And you get Eldritch Invocations on lvl 2 for some fun customization. (pick Blast-damage if you are unsure what else to pick)

So, in combat: Hex'em and BLAST'em. Outside: Do all kinds of fun stuff, or just talk yourself out of it.
I really like Warlocks and I think they are really strong in the game atm although they still lack some class-features.

Last edited by Ectheldir; 30/10/20 06:30 PM.
veteran
veteran
Warlocks are really a 4th ed class. Think of them as teleporting lazer cannons. It's all eldritch blast all the time.

They were born out of the "I hate vancian casting" / why can't I wear light armor arguments around mages. If you only use a small handful of spells and tend to build "battlemages" you want a warlock.

Wyll comes set up for his story -- but once it's clear he's a warlock there's no reason for the armor and sword. Give him a robe and staff, take the mage armor and armor of something-cold-something spells and cast those as soon as you start out. He can't see in the dark so give him the dancing light amulet and have him cast it on the enemy before eldritch blast. Use misty step to get to high ground get advantage and away from enemies. If you can't get away from enemies use the arms of hadar spell.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks fellas, Wyll give it another shot. Blast. Puns all as intended.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Warlock is nothing more than a dip multiclassing class. Pretty much whole TT meta is Warlock 2/Whatever, or Warlock 3/Whatever.

Reality is that Warlocks get some nice toys for first 2-3 levels, but after that - they are done, it's like a C grade class that's being taken to save a feat selection or two and you're correct that starting level 3/4 you are better off diversifying because Hex/EB alone simply does not do enough really and they can barely do anything else, especially with how they are in EA.

This is especially apparent in EA, where already as is - you can instead go Wizard and pick Warlock Initiate feat at level 4 and you got your Hex + you can actually cast a ton of spells and Firebolt being overtuned as it is with all the surface/burn stuff.

Eldritch Blast in EA is nothing more than a poor-man's crossbow shot and everyone can have Hex level 4 if they want that so much. EB has knockback, that's cute, but hey there are knockback arrows too, so whatever.

So yes, your assertion that it is a sucky Wizard is right on the money, because that's exactly what it is as it stands now.

Once we will have multiclassing, something like Warlock 2 or 3/Sorc X is literally a better Warlock by far - IMO what's warlock should have always been and not this 5e version that's half a class. And pure Warlock - yeah, it's just a shit Wizard really, no way to make that pretty.

Last edited by Gaidax; 30/10/20 06:48 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Multiclassing to save for feat selection? In 5E, my understanding is that feats require four levels in a single class, not four character levels... So if you want feats, you'd stick to a single class?
Knowing we'll get to play to level 10 in the full release of BG3, I can see how you dip two levels, but outside of that?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Multiclassing to save for feat selection? In 5E, my understanding is that feats require four levels in a single class, not four character levels... So if you want feats, you'd stick to a single class?
Knowing we'll get to play to level 10 in the full release of BG3, I can see how you dip two levels, but outside of that?

It is what it is, really and 2 levels dip in a class is worth it for benefits in very specific builds. For example Sorlock is popular which is Warlock 2/Sorc X or Warlock 3/Sorc X, where you literally get 90% of all the point in Warlock and actual full spellcasting ability, save a few slots missing, which does not terribly matter. That build can really pump some EBs there with Sorcery points, far better than Warlock alone ever could.

And in EB, the Warlock here is like half-implemented to begin with. Patron(s) missing and only 1 pact out of 3.

Some people do tend to lie to themselves a bit, reality is EA Warlock is probably the weakest class there is now. Like all these guys above making EB seem like it's such a hotshot spell, when in reality when you look at it - it's basically literally a pretty crossbow shot that knockbacks for free, but that you can't dip/coat in poison/have more attack with thanks to magic weapons. Quite frankly, the whole Hex benefit can be had by anyone as is, by simply using a poison bottle for weapon you get a ton of or dipping - that's free, even without doing that Hex feat trick.

And what you get to make yourself better than a crossbow? 2 Spell slots per short rest and a companion that can't hit anything to save its life that won't even scale further down the road.

So yes, Wyll feels weak, because that's simply how it is. Sometimes things are just as they appear, really.

I mean I have firsthand experience - my first PT was Warlock PC and I optimized all I could and like guys above when EB connected with hex and all I was like "woohoo, feels good"... My second playthrough - Ranger... it's like night and day, you literally do twice the damage with normal attacks with Ranger and at better hit chance and you can start out with 9 proficiencies to boot, so like... what's the point.

And that's even without all the EA cheese/bugs people do, like Wizards oneshotting dragons with thunderwave or rogues rolling in 50+ damage per turn without breaking a sweat or rangers/rogues double/triple proccing GWM for absurd damage.

Last edited by Gaidax; 30/10/20 07:25 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Fair enough. Cheers.

Ive been confused about this too - if the vast majority of the class really is just EB, that's quite disappointing. Id love to see the narrative options for warlocks in the world, but the gameplay cost seems like it may be too great.. hm.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, do a google image search on eldritch blast warlock. There's an entire set of meme dedicated this issue. 90 percent of the time EB is right choice. People who like them like that that charisma is good for social interactions or like that the RP aspects of having Cthulu as a patron.

Forced to choose I will always take a sorcerer over a warlock.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 30/10/20 09:46 PM.
old hand
old hand
I just killed him and moved on

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Don't be discouraged by people talking trash about the warlock. We are in EA and like most of the classes, it is incomplete even up to level 4. Once it's missing features are added, it will feel much better.

I emphasized the use of EB with Hex, because it sounded like you were having issues combat-wise, and that's the best way to maintain your damage output, and will only get stronger as we surpass LV 4.

One of the coolest things about the warlock is it's versatility in building it. You get so many choices of invocations that really help you customize your character in ways other classes don't get.

Comparing early level warlock to early level ranger is pointless. Ranger has one of the strongest level 1-5's out of all the classes. Colossus slayer being bugged and occurring on full HP enemies takes that a bit over the top, but doesn't change that fact.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
No worries, I am by no means dicouraged. Just that, so far I always left Wyll behind because I couldn't get myself to trade anyone else for him. Currently doing a goody goody Cleric of Selune specifically to see what Shadowheart and Wyll have to say. Amittedly, I get more use out of him now that I get the Blast cantrip; he's fairly fun. Not as fun as a true Wizard, I think, but fun enough.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Evandir
Your spell Hex adds 1d6 damage to attacks you make. This includes Eldritch blast and Scorching Ray. Make sure that you always have Hex up, as long as you aren't in danger of losing concentration. You only have to use one spell slot on it, because once you kill someone who has been hexed, you can cast it again for free on another enemy.(Make sure you use re-apply Hex spell, it's separate from Hex.)

Hex, like every single Concentration spell, is a waste of time in Baldur's Gate 3 because of all the AoE damage, no-save surface effects, and going prone.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Evandir

Hex, like every single Concentration spell, is a waste of time in Baldur's Gate 3 because of all the AoE damage, no-save surface effects, and going prone.

You may recall posting on my thread about Concentration saves. We already share the same opinion that concentration has been unreasonably nerfed and needs to be fixed.

In my experience with the Warlock however, if I make sure that I am always positioned on the outskirts of the fight, I can keep Hex up for most of the time. This isn't always possible, but I don't cast Hex until I'm ready to start Blastingâ„¢ from a good spot.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You can fix this by using subsequent bonus actions to go to stealth away from all the bullshit.

Eventually this will be nerfed, but maybe eventually concentration will be just a tad more reliable too.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I think part of the problem with warlocks right now is there's just no incentive to only do a short rest when you can do a long rest instead and regain all your seplls and abilities for everyone. So the warlock gets all the drawbacks of having so few spell slots, but don't really gain any benefit from being able to get them back on a short rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard