Print Thread
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
To the entire community here, including Larian, you need to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_pyZWPxiVg

The video is pretty... inaccurate I'd think is the best word.

He IS describing a phenomenon that IS happening, but he fails to see that this is not feedback. If people go crazy because of some bugs, that is not really feedback. If people do the thing where they say "it should be the game in my head" that is not feedback. Those are rumblings.

The distinctive feature of feedback is: it is constructive.

Here and on reddit is more than enough feedback which falls under the constructive category.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
While it is true plenty of feedback players give often undermine the games they are supposed to improve, it is also an invaluable skill for developers to know what feedback to listen to and what to ignore.

C
C
Imagine thinking Day9 helps your point. Keep rolling over and taking what they feed you, especially in an early acess where they asked for feedback

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
He's making a point about a type of feedback.

But feeback isn't something you should be reading litterally, but you compile a list of the PROBLEMS not the solutions suggested.

When people say "Barrelmancy" or "surfaces" it might not be that "remove it" it means "it's not exciting" or "it makes me play in a boring way". So Larian will look at it.

I think the big problem of the game is "It's not like Dungeons and Dragons 5e enough"

But Day9 is just whining about people giving feedback. Keep in mind the irony, he is giving the same sort of feedback that he hates.

Day9TV's opinions are dumb and don't matter.

His video is perhaps one of the worst I have seen yet. He seems to live for one reason... To play clown for his base.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
The title of the video is unfortunately named (because it's a click-baity title), but the content ISN'T wrong. The way it is presented in this thread, without context is the issue.

He talks about not all random feedback is good feedback, and establishes the proper conditions to obtain feedback. At 10:34, he says in regards to proper feedback:

"I think it should be done in a very focused, clear controlled environment. I like the idea of you getting 95% of the way there, with a particular idea - not the whole product - but 95% of the way, with like a chapter of your book or an idea of your story and you go... ah fuck, but I'm wondering if it's a little too confusing at this part or whether it makes sense. You hand it to someone and go - give me your reaction... "

Does that sound familiar? This Early Access process by Larian is exactly this lol.

He does make other points about what makes useful feedback - which is also fair IMO. We've seen people make feedback based on faulty information that should be ignored - e.g. we've seen people complaining that BG3 melee is weak without realizing there is a backstab mechanic.

BG3 is an extra interesting scenario because of the game's attachment to both the established 5E D&D ruleset and the BG1/2 systems - so now you're dealing with up to 3 conflicting visions for BG3 - (the Larian Game, the BG1/2 Sequel, and the 5e Videogame). I'm in the camp that Larian should make the game they want to make, but I know there are people that vehemently disagree with that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let Day9 know we appreciate his feedback and will give his opinions all due consideration going forward

stranger
stranger
Game dev here: Listening to feedback is a skill. Learning to read the subtext of a complaint will show you how to make a better game. And yes, complaining is also a skill - saying you have a problem without providing a solution you have no right to give requires great patience.

journeyman
journeyman
the problem we have here tho, is we can't agree on anything. some of us like A, can tolerate B and demand change C

me as an example; i like turn based combat, cool with 4man party, hate the chain-link, yet on this forum survey 30%+ liked the chain-link, and that's not even top priority issue.

journeyman
journeyman
It takes genuine effort on my part to provide feedback.
I pay attention to bugs and improvement opportunities, stop my gameplay, head to the forums or the feedback form, articulate my point clearly and concisely and submit it.
It's not just a passing thought, I make an effort to explain my self.

I almost NEVER give feedback. I skip questionnaires, I ignore "tell us what you think" emails, etc..
I only make an exception for things that I really care about and think I can provide valuable insights.

So, now you're telling me that it's worthless? actively annoy and hurt the developers?
If that's the case, I'll stop. Fine. But I would appreciated it if Larian clearly said they don't want it instead of saying they do just because it's "right" or PC thing to do.

Last edited by Alon Binyamin; 30/10/20 11:52 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
They want the feedback, but I doubt it's anywhere near as important as the analytics.

Originally Posted by Alon Binyamin
It takes genuine effort on my part to provide feedback.
I pay attention to bugs and improvement opportunities, stop my gameplay, head to the forums or the feedback form, articulate my point clearly and concisely and submit it.
It's not just a passing thought, I make an effort to explain my self.

I almost NEVER give feedback. I skip questionnaires, I ignore "tell us what you think" emails, etc..
I only make an exception for things that I really care about and think I can provide valuable insights.

So, now you're telling me that it's worthless? actively annoy and hurt the developers?
If that's the case, I'll stop. Fine. But I would appreciated it if Larian clearly said they don't want it instead of saying they do just because it's "right" or PC thing to do.

It was shocking when they changed the narration for the entire game. That was a big (and expensive) change. Somebody rewrote every. line. of. dialogue. in every conversation tree, and they had to throw out all that recorded VO.

Larian is listening.

Link Copied to Clipboard