Next Thread
Print Thread
#723753 31/10/20 09:35 AM
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
A lot of people have asked repeatedly for 6 man parties. For me this would give the game a more Baldur's Gate feel other than it just being a game by a company I'd never heard of with a bit of D &D from a version that again I hadn't heard of.

There is already the option to get multiplayer to 6 slots on the starter ship. 4 characters and 2 NPC's. There is some clipping in cinematics and items in inventories are a bit small but it's playable.

So why not unlock this for the rest of the game? Unlock 6 slots with 2 of them being NPC slots, or 3 and 3 even. There would be no extra need for more NPC's or dialogue and people like me can build our parties (takes a bit of work creating a 4 man multiplayer team solo and a lot of praying that it doesn't bug out b4 you can make it a solo save) and add NPC's just for the nookie or as meat shields.

Those who want to complain that a 6 man team is blasphemous (or whatever spurious reasons they have) can carry on happily playing with themselves.

MatronPain #723756 31/10/20 09:38 AM
veteran
veteran
Mod it. Even now it's already possible. If this is your only gripe with the game, consider yourself lucky

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
MatronPain #723761 31/10/20 09:42 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Swen mentioned Multiplayer and the reasoning for 4 man party in the Dropped frames interview, if you are curious.
In short, it's for stability and balancing purposes. If you want more party members, you will have mods.

I hate large battles at the moment, I can't even imagine I'd be running around with a party of 6 right now.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
MatronPain #723764 31/10/20 09:48 AM
veteran
veteran
Large battles are far more fun with more companions wink

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
MatronPain #723766 31/10/20 09:50 AM
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Not my only problem by far but a 6 man party is something I'd like to see.

Which is why I posted it in suggestions.

As for mods, in 30 odd years of gaming I've never seen the point and I don't here. If they give us 6 man parties then fine, if not, then almost fine with a bit of grumbling.

But we won't get if we don't ask.

Why is why I asked.

Maximuuus #723773 31/10/20 09:55 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Easier maybe, the AI is all over the place with larger battles, that's why I hate them.

Not today.”
Vamathi #723774 31/10/20 09:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vamathi
Swen mentioned Multiplayer and the reasoning for 4 man party in the Dropped frames interview, if you are curious.
In short, it's for stability and balancing purposes. If you want more party members, you will have mods.

I hate large battles at the moment, I can't even imagine I'd be running around with a party of 6 right now.

The only thing I would hate about having a six men party right now is that party controls are utterly atrocious and need to be fixed.
But that's true even for a four-men party, so let's fix those.

Anyway, this is all stuff we already discussed more than once and the thread about this specific topic is quite literally the biggest one in this sub-forum (at least until the trollish one about skimpy outfits will surpass it too).
Contributing to existing threads instead of starting new ones on the same arguments would help make the feedback a bit more focused... For how little it may actually matter.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Easier maybe, the AI is all over the place with larger battles, that's why I hate them.

Which is a separata argument, more akin to a technical issue than a design flaw AND something that wouldn't get worse with a six-men party (in fact, probably the opposite: the player would have more chances to inject his actions in the middle of long queues of NPCs thinking their moves).

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 09:58 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #723784 31/10/20 10:11 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Which is a separata argument, more akin to a technical issue than a design flaw AND something that wouldn't get worse with a six-men party (in fact, probably the opposite: the player would have more chances to inject his actions in the middle of long queues of NPCs thinking their moves).

Do you think technical issue is simpler to solve than a design flaw or something?
I think there is many reasons why we shouldn't want to have 2 more party members, especially in the current state of the game.
It's not like you roll your entire party with same initiative all the time. 2 More targets or 2 more Gales might make AI even more confused wink

If Larian decides down the line that they might find a workaround and have it work well - so be it - but if they continuously say that there is technical and balancing limitations to it, and 4 is what they are going for, why beg them for more to risk the games overall perception to people?

Not today.”
Vamathi #723789 31/10/20 10:19 AM
veteran
veteran

Do you think technical issue is simpler to solve than a design flaw or something?

Yes?
The Ai getting quicker and more reactive as it gets polished and optimized over time is basically a given.

I think there is many reasons why we shouldn't want to have 2 more party members, especially in the current state of the game.

Just because you think you have a reason, doesn't make it a good one.

It's not like you roll your entire party with same initiative all the time.
Which is PRECISELY why it wouldn't make the combat slower. You'd have MORE chances to inject your actions in queue rather than being a spectator. Not to mention more targets would (possibly) mean less focus fire on a single poor bastard spending most of his fights face-on-the-ground.

If Larian decides down the line that they might find a workaround and have it work well - so be it - but if they continuously say that there is technical and balancing limitations to it, and 4 is what they are going for, why beg them for more to risk the games overall perception to people?

Because Larian took several bad decisions over time that made their games almost objectively worse, and I want to advocate for a better game, not for a worse one?

I won't waste two hours listing all the countless reasons a six men party makes for a more compelling experience in a single player, party-based campaign that is supposed to go on for dozens of hours and absolutely BEGS for party variety.
We already did it for weeks in other threads that everyone can read.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 10:20 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN

Link Copied to Clipboard