Next Thread
Print Thread
#723959 31/10/20 02:01 PM
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
I was a bit surprised (just a little bit), that all the druids in the grove worshipped just one god, Sylvanus, when Toril has so many nature gods, and according to lore druid circles tend to be composed usually of a mixture of deities, I was even more surprised that nonhuman didn't follow their own culture's traditional nature deities.
I really hope that when Larian finally releases the druid class, the player, at least gets to decide on a god, in the same way that a cleric does.
Mielikki, Chauntea, Eldath, Malar, Auril, and Talos are all appropriate gods for druids, as are Rillifane Rallathil, Aerdrie Faenya, and Solonor Thelandira for elves, Sheela Peryroyl, Urogalan, and Yondalla for halflings, Marthammor Duin for dwarves, and Baervan Wildwanderer for gnomes. (Sorry if I forgot someone)

Last edited by Callimachus; 31/10/20 05:27 PM.
addict
addict
It's an Emerald Enclave associated grove, the only gods you will find worshipped by them are Eldath, Mielikki, and Silvanus.

Eldath/Mielikki are servants of Silvanus (unless that changed in 5e).

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I think it reasonable that a given druid circle worships the same deity. They might also show respect to other nature gods, but the circle itself venerates Sylvanus (on this occasion) above al the others. A circle, after all, is like a temple. Other druid circles on the Sword Coast will, no doubt, primarily worship other deities.

C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I think it reasonable that a given druid circle worships the same deity. They might also show respect to other nature gods, but the circle itself venerates Sylvanus (on this occasion) above al the others. A circle, after all, is like a temple. Other druid circles on the Sword Coast will, no doubt, primarily worship other deities.

it is reasonable, but the opposite is just as reasonable. There are many instances in the forgotten realms of temples dedicated to more than one god, most famously the temple of Corellon's Grove in Evermeet, which, despite it's name is also dedicated to Sehanine, Aerdrie, Hanali, Labelas, and Titania and Oberon. In regards to druid circles, their tendency to mix worshippers of various deities is long established in the lore.

Last edited by Callimachus; 31/10/20 05:27 PM.
addict
addict
Meanwhile players can't worship Sylvanus.

C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
Meanwhile players can't worship Sylvanus.

Maybe it's reserved for the druid class?

addict
addict
A druid's grove and a circle aren't the same thing, to be fair. What we see is a druid's grove. A sacred space inhabited by a small community of druids who seem to live there full time.

A Circle isn't bound to a specific group and druids who are a part of the same Circle don't necessarily live together. There are many religions within any given Circle as they stretch beyond the limits of political borders and tend to not have a single location where they operate. Druids, by and large, roam. They don't have big churches or temples.

The grove we visit seems to be a sort of natural temple to Sylvanus specifically, which would explain why all the druids there worship her above all others. They aren't likely all part of the same Circle, they just share the same faith in Sylvanus and decided to dedicate their lives to her and her grove in the same way a cleric might choose to dedicate herself to a specific temple.

Link Copied to Clipboard