Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
1. You are on a ship
2. The ship is destroyed
3. You don't die from the calamity because some unknown power saved you: DOS2 quote "I have plans for you child"
4. You wake up on land
5. You walk around to meet and possibly join your companions
6. You are united with your companions by your ailment (Sorcerer vs tadpole)

I know this is early access, but I wanted to point this out.

Suggestion:
1. You are on a ship and are infected
2. the ship escapes and returns to it's plain to retreat, because it is under attack from the Gith
3. As the ship docks you are held captive by the Mind flayers
4. The Gith follow the ship to finish the job
5. You meet Lae Zal here during the attack on the ship where it is docked (Dialogue options and choices, both of you still in your pods)
6. As you are still locked in the POD you are presented options by NPCs who interact with you:

Path 1> You agree to join the Mindflayers who open the pod, and eventually overwhelm the Gith into retreating. Maybe you meet the absolute, maybe you meet your competition.
Path 2> You join the Gith, Lae Zal or another Gith comes back and frees you from the pod. You join them in the assault, but are presented other options as it unfolds
Path 3> You stay neutral as the Events unfold, are eventually released by mind flayers, and have some unique options.

7. After time with the Gith or Mindflayers or another unique option, you are brought back to the mainland to do a main quest that isn't removing the tadpole, but that can be a over arching quest etc..

Thoughts ?

old hand
old hand
And all of the companions stories are way more important and compelling than yours lol

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
apprentice
apprentice
Because they gotta stay true to the Divinity series considering they're making DoS3

R
old hand
old hand
R
I don't know what's wrong that the beginning of the story resembles a DoS. This makes as much sense as getting upset that you start out as a prisoner in bethesda games.

old hand
old hand
If they want to do alien abduction right, they need to play South Park

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Orbax
And all of the companions stories are way more important and compelling than yours lol

100% agreed that this may potentially be the worst part.

While I don't mind the origin character system, the fact that Larian's characters are more special than yours is one of the worst design philosophies in DOS 2. It's even worst when it goes beyond narrative preferences and manifests itself in game mechanics (looking at you Gale, aka Fane of BG3 - I'm only level 1 but also a Chosen of Mystra I'm soooo special I can't even die like a normal person).

They have said that custom characters will be just as good this time around, but I'll believe it when I see it.

addict
addict
Everybody take a shot.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Topgoon

100% agreed that this may potentially be the worst part.

While I don't mind the origin character system, the fact that Larian's characters are more special than yours is one of the worst design philosophies in DOS 2. It's even worst when it goes beyond narrative preferences and manifests itself in game mechanics (looking at you Gale, aka Fane of BG3 - I'm only level 1 but also a Chosen of Mystra I'm soooo special I can't even die like a normal person).

They have said that custom characters will be just as good this time around, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Haha "Tav, please meet the legends you will be travelling with. Legends, this is Tav. Tav cuts the brown spots out of potatoes or something. Or did before whatever this was happened. Tav apparently doesn't remember or his own mind erased the memory of his prior life out of self preservation so it wouldn't kill itself from the reality of Tav's life being the left over eraser marks from someone scrubbing a doodle out on the margins of the book of life."

Rest of legends: *a series of unenthusiastic mumbles*

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S

Thanks for chiming in.
I wasn't talking about the companion origins or stories. I am talking about the Story Architecture (Main Story) being the same for your character that you are playing, who in the end could be an origin.
In fact the origins are one of the things I enjoyed in DOS2 a lot and added a cool way of getting to know characters and added some role playing elements.

But appreciate the feedback.

A
stranger
stranger
A
This needs to be top post ASAP and i agree there needs to be more paths at the beginning i think they'll add more options at launch hopefully

Last edited by Alanhop1238; 31/10/20 05:25 PM.
addict
addict
I see it more as a signature, a calling card if you will.
Frankly it doesn't bother me as it is all of the first 15-30 minutes and then poof, gone.

I agree with the other posts in here regarding more love for custom characters.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Riandor
I see it more as a signature, a calling card if you will.
Frankly it doesn't bother me as it is all of the first 15-30 minutes and then poof, gone.

I agree with the other posts in here regarding more love for custom characters.

Interesting point, and well taken.
But I wouldn't call it a signature at all, but more like shortcuts. And they could have easily just changed one or two things. This really is just the beginning, but it has impact throughout the game.

Side not I wrote that in like 10 minutes, I would not mind volunteering creative talent if they accepted.
Interesting point of view for sure.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
[/quote]

Haha "Tav, please meet the legends you will be travelling with. Legends, this is Tav. Tav cuts the brown spots out of potatoes or something. Or did before whatever this was happened. Tav apparently doesn't remember or his own mind erased the memory of his prior life out of self preservation so it wouldn't kill itself from the reality of Tav's life being the left over eraser marks from someone scrubbing a doodle out on the margins of the book of life."

Rest of legends: *a series of unenthusiastic mumbles*
[/quote]

This is awesome, very funny.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE

Suggestion:

I don't know if you are aware of this, but for legal reasons, once you have posted your suggestions for the continuation of the story you made sure Larian will not take them into consideration, even in case they look similar to what they already had in mind they would now be looking for ways to prove in court they didn't rely on your ideas, but thought of them earlier. Otherwise you'd have reason to sue them for royalties. That is why authors (especially ones who plan to write sequels) never read fanfictions of their own work, so they'd have deniability if what they write turns up to have similarity to what a fan wrote.

Last edited by Callimachus; 31/10/20 05:40 PM.
addict
addict
Anyone ever see the Brady Bunch movie, where every architectural design created by Mike Brady (the dad, who is an architect), be it a gas station, a fast food restaurant, or whatever, is the same exact design as his own home? Kind of reminds of Larian with the story telling. Point is OP, yeah I agree. I don't get hung up on it, though. From a creative standpoint, it sure does seem odd to squander an opportunity to do something fresh. But maybe, like musicians with their hit songs, they hate playing them show after show, but the crowd loves them.

For those who care to watch the scene:

Last edited by Emrikol; 31/10/20 05:44 PM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Valid point. So let's make it clear that I am not, and will not pursue any damages or fees in any nature, for them following any ideas I have written, and that is is given under the public usage rights for anyone to use, as it is not copyrighted or published under my authority.

Furthermore, I volunteer to assist if they are willing with creative writing, as stated before in the hope of improving what we see in EA.

Also my hope is that they just used the Story Arc from DOS 2 to get them through EA, and that this is not replicated in full release.

Besides I joined EA to help provide feedback as well as try out the game.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
1. You are on a ship
2. The ship is destroyed
3. You don't die from the calamity because some unknown power saved you: DOS2 quote "I have plans for you child"
4. You wake up on land

You're not wrong. It is a very common RPG introductory story set-up, although BG3 does mirror DOS 2 more than others:

BG2:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is attacked by a "random faction" (Shadowthieves vs. Giths)
3. You don't die during your escape because the higher power - authoritarian mage-lords - conveniently interrupt when you run into the villain
4. You escape into a foreign location
6. The game makes up various, random reasons for people to risk their lives to help you save some girl you may or may not care about

NWN2 MoTB:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is infiltrated by a Red Wizard
3. You didn't die from a previous "Rock Falls, Everyone Dies" because some unknown power saved you
6. You are united with your companions by your ailment (Sorcerer vs. Tadpole vs. Spirit Eater)

Suggestion:
2. the ship escapes and returns to it's plain to retreat, because it is under attack from the Gith
5. You meet Lae Zal here during the attack on the ship where it is docked (Dialogue options and choices, both of you still in your pods)
6. As you are still locked in the POD you are presented options by NPCs who interact with you:

Path 1> You agree to join the Mindflayers who open the pod, and eventually overwhelm the Gith into retreating. Maybe you meet the absolute, maybe you meet your competition.
Path 2> You join the Gith, Lae Zal or another Gith comes back and frees you from the pod. You join them in the assault, but are presented other options as it unfolds
Path 3> You stay neutral as the Events unfold, are eventually released by mind flayers, and have some unique options.

7. After time with the Gith or Mindflayers or another unique option, you are brought back to the mainland to do a main quest that isn't removing the tadpole, but that can be a over arching quest etc..

Thoughts ?

I like the addition of choice to side with the Mindflayers, but similar to siding with the Goblins in the main-game, I feel like a narrative reason needs to be added in.

By default, you currently side with the Giths because the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" (or at least a convenient tool to escape). Since you start off as an infected prisoner of the Mindflayers, there's got to be reason you'd want to choose them over the Gith.

Maybe an additional, non-hostile interaction with one of the Mindflayers in the beginning? He/she can at least give you a sales pitch (aka this Tadpole is a great honor, tons of power, etc).

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Anyone ever see the Brady Bunch movie, where every architectural design created by Mike Brady (the dad, who is an architect), be it a gas station, a fast food restaurant, or whatever, is the same exact design as his own home? Kind of reminds of Larian with the story telling. Point is OP, yeah I agree. I don't get hung up on it, though. From a creative standpoint, it sure does seem odd to squander an opportunity to do something fresh. But maybe, like musicians with their hit songs, they hate playing them show after show, but the crowd loves them.

For those who care to watch the scene:

Nice tangent.
Good vantage point on duplicating success.

The story in DOS2 though in my opinion was not as good as it should have been. And the being saved by a God or deity, when you could have just washed up on shore like everyone else, seems cheesy. So that is kind of why I brought this up. The story in DOS2 had a lot of cheese "your special, your the one, your the divine " Your sacrifice will close the void. I almost started a mod to change the whole campaign and story line. It just feels empty in comparison to the creative talent focused on the Origins. I did end up creating mods, but just not to that scale.

Again my opinion, and appreciate the other views and comments.

R
old hand
old hand
R

I like the addition of choice to side with the Mindflayers, but similar to siding with the Goblins in the main-game, I feel like a narrative reason needs to be added in.

By default, you currently side with the Giths because the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" (or at least a convenient tool to escape). Since you start off as an infected prisoner of the Mindflayers, there's got to be reason you'd want to choose them over the Gith.

Maybe an additional, non-hostile interaction with one of the Mindflayers in the beginning? He/she can at least give you a sales pitch (aka this Tadpole is a great honor, tons of power, etc).

To believe this, the character would have to lose half of his brain at this point. This makes even less sense when the character comes from the underdark.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 31/10/20 06:00 PM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
1. You are on a ship
2. The ship is destroyed
4. You wake up on land

You're not wrong. It is a very common RPG introductory story set-up, although BG3 does mirror DOS 2 more than others:

BG2:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is attacked by a "random faction" (Shadowthieves vs. Giths)
3. You don't die during your escape because the higher power - authoritarian mage-lords - conveniently interrupt when you run into the villain
6. The game makes up various, random reasons for people to risk their lives to help you save some girl you may or may not care about

NWN2 MoTB:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is infiltrated by a Red Wizard
3. You didn't die from a previous "Rock Falls, Everyone Dies" because some unknown power saved you
6. You are united with your companions by your ailment (Sorcerer vs. Tadpole vs. Spirit Eater)

Suggestion:

Thoughts ?

Right on.
+1
I could write that narrative in this forum:

Physic voice " Do not be afraid, we may seem like the monsters you heard of, but are only attempting to save our race. Dramatic pause ... "You know, We are the most powerful and most feared of all sentients, and soon you will know that power " "When you are ready, reach out and we will begin your training"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard