Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
It just seems super unlikely to me that a game like Dragon Age Origins which was an AAA game with a huge budget sold less than DOS2 which was a very successful but niche game nonetheless. perhaps I'm wrong but who knows. and what the hell is 2-5 I dunno.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
R
old hand
old hand
R
I think DA: O could have even reached 10 million, only problem is that 11 years have passed since the premiere.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I think DA: O could have even reached 10 million, only problem is that 11 years have passed since the premiere.

I would also assume that if you want to check how many copies dao sold you should check Origin and not steam.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Feels like no one reading me this last days :'(

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Topgoon

The number is most likely from Steamspy

It lists the 2-5 million owners. Note, that number is steam only. I can't find anything on GoG, Xbox, PS4, or the Switch.

Yeah, I already confirmed where it was from. And yeah, that range is absurdly broad because SteamSpy is not as reliable as it used to be before most Steam profiles became private by default (since scanning those is what it uses to gather data).
While once it used to have a margin of accuracy of 5% that became more and more fine tuned for big sellers, now that's not case anymore.
Still, it can still offer some vaguely reliable data as a broad reference. In the specific case we know that at very least it sold two million copies and that they are probably even more (but it's pointless to attempt a guess without confirmations from Larian, which as a private company they have no obligation to offer).

Anyway, back to the point of what we can safely deduce from this: at very least, even taking the worst case scenario into consideration, one where we are imagining that sales topped at 2 million on Steam and amount to virtually nothing on other stores and platforms, we can say that DOS 2 can easily match and probably surpass sales of Dragon Age Origins on PC (which were not the majority). And possibly compete with its sales combined on all platforms and surpass them, too.

Originally Posted by Rhobar121

Over the years it was also given for free to lure people on Origin and sold for five bucks countless times. And I still wouldn't bet in a similar number or Bioware would scream that from the rooftop at full lungs every time they mention the franchise.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/10/20 08:54 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by arajaja
I honestly don't give a flying f how much copies each game sold, i just find it amusing that Rhobar seems to believe since DOS2 sold more than PoE2 that TB sells more than RTwP confirmed. As if that is the deciding factor (sure some people might not buy the game because it is TB and vice versa but the majority probably doesn't give a shit). Well newsflash buddy, DA:O probably outsold DOS2 and that is RTwP so yea, RTwP sells more than TB confirmed.

This is how I see it too. There are multiple factors that go into a person finding a game to be something they like or dislike. In the case of D:OS2, it could be TB combat. But it could just as easily also be co-op play, DM mode, availability on consoles, being able to blow up the whole world with oil barrels, etc. Who knows? Saying people loved D:OS2 (only) because of TB, and saying people disliked PoE2 (only) because of RTwP, is completely unsubstantiated b.s. No data analyst worth a damn would ever agree with such a shallow and biased inference.

L
L
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Larian is not the wrong studio for BG3 but they have to stay humble.
D&D and Baldur's Gate are legends. DoS is a really good and promising game for the future, with awesome and fresh mechanics.

They have to create a D&D/BG experience and add a Larian's flavor on top of it instead of trying to "Larianise" D&D and BG.

This could lead to the next legend and not only the next Larian game.

That's what I think since the announcement of BG3.
Maybe it's too late to still think like that^^
This seems to be the only really relevant post in the last few pages, and spot on in my opinion.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zefhyr
Feels like no one reading me this last days :'(

<3

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard