Next Thread
Print Thread
#724172 31/10/20 06:26 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
The limit of one summon per character ruins the necromancy subclass, as well as any other class or subclass that should be able to have more than one summon out at a time.

T
stranger
stranger
T
+1

I am really only interested in this game if necromancers are playable in their current 5e state

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yeah, I am curious how they will resolve it. Because Conjure Animals wouldn't be the same if you can't conjure a bunch tiny creatures and break the action economy. At the same time may be hard to implement.

addict
addict
Totally agree.

One summon limit DESTROYS necromancer class which was great on BG1/2 BTW.

BG2 had a 5 summon limit and people hated it. IMO the best rule is the 3.5e rule. An necromancer can control 2x hit hit dice worth of creatures. Dread necromancers can control D4. ALL, I REPEAT ALL popular caster mods for nwn2 remove this one summon limit BS.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 31/10/20 07:09 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Have you guys tried the necromancer subclass yet? Cause I cannot find it when I choose my magic school as a wizard.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Have you guys tried the necromancer subclass yet? Cause I cannot find it when I choose my magic school as a wizard.

Is not on EA. But one summon limit is a way to KILL necromancers. Necromancers already lost :

1 - OHK spells like finger of death
2 - Ability to create high HD/level undeads, including vampires
3 - Powerful prestige classes and core classes like dread necromancer

An single summon limit kills necromancer even more than 5e already killed.

veteran
veteran
I dunno ... i would honestly like to see necromancer with small group of skeletons, or zombies ...

On the other hand cant see much difference between 2 skeletons wich deals 1d10 dmg each and have 20 hp ... and one skepeton wich deal 2d10 and have 40 hp ...
Note that i say much ... i didnt say none. laugh

On the other hand, there is chance for this rule to be avoided by Necromancer spells related to undead minions. :-/
I gues it was implemented for ballancing Beast Masters, or Warlocks and Wizards with familiars ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 31/10/20 07:42 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Razielim0420
The limit of one summon per character ruins the necromancy subclass, as well as any other class or subclass that should be able to have more than one summon out at a time.

I might have missed something, but what makes you think summons is limited for 1 per character?
my wizard has his familiar summoned along with zombie from wand you get from the hag which indicted there is no limit

By the way if there is a limit +1 for removing it i love having multiple summons, and games like NWN that only gave you one really bugged me

Last edited by jayn23; 31/10/20 08:16 PM.
Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Glut master race
35 "summons" i think, the bullette is missing

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tuv; 31/10/20 08:08 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by jayn23
zombie from wand you get from the hag

He can follow you? frown
Damn ... that man is just standing there and roar to me. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
stranger
stranger
The summon limit is just an extension of the concentration spell limit, isn't it?

So, if spells or abilities are introduced for Necromancy that don't use the concentration mechanic, there'll be no problem, no?

addict
addict
+1. I was pretty disappointed when I learned taking Beast Tamer and then going Beastmaster was redundant for ranger. I want to have a huge bear at my side and a raven on my shoulder as I walk into battle!

Plus rangers will get Summon Animal eventually. It'd suck if it just replaced your animal companion. And Druid of the Shepherd is all about summoning groups of things.

journeyman
journeyman
Am I the only one that found the spider eggs? thy do have a mechanic in game to summon a small group of low hp animals at once in game. so i hope it extends to spells.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Popsculpture
Am I the only one that found the spider eggs? thy do have a mechanic in game to summon a small group of low hp animals at once in game. so i hope it extends to spells.

I found them, but never used them for anything. I was waiting for a challenge that was overwhelming enough that I had to resort to kitchen sink tactics. I don't use consumables as a general rule, I either hoard them if they are unique or sell them if they are common. They are the backbone of my income stream because they are usually light weight and valuable

Last edited by DistantStranger; 31/10/20 11:05 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
+1. I was pretty disappointed when I learned taking Beast Tamer and then going Beastmaster was redundant for ranger. I want to have a huge bear at my side and a raven on my shoulder as I walk into battle!

Plus rangers will get Summon Animal eventually. It'd suck if it just replaced your animal companion. And Druid of the Shepherd is all about summoning groups of things.

This is valid and something I hadn't thought of; Summon Familiar probably shouldn't be a concentration spell.

K
K
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by jayn23
zombie from wand you get from the hag

He can follow you? frown
Damn ... that man is just standing there and roar to me. frown

yeah, the wand makes him come as a summon, it costs enough action points that I have to have a character summon him BEFORE we initiate a combat encounter though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1, makes me also think of conjurers..

Link Copied to Clipboard