Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
This is tough. Using the D&D 5e alternative to rolling stats, my numbers break down as follows:

STR: 10 (Strangely, though, I'm the second strongest person at work... See INT for more)
DEX: 13 (Decent reaction times, rarely slip on ice, good at catching things that get knocked over)
CON: 12 (My whole family is either naturally tough, or too dumb to recognize pain right away. I figure both count as CON)
INT: 14 (I do research for a living, and I usually know what I'm talking about)
WIS: 15 (High Perception score, and enough Insight to catch people off guard)
CHA: 8 (Still single... ladies...)

Using this site, though, I'm more like this:
STR: 12 (Can carry a 50 lb bag of grain from the feed store to the car)
DEX: 12 (But a deadly shot with a rubber band. Proficiency in "office weapons," maybe?)
CON: 9 (Asthma and a sedentary lifestyle mean I'm not exactly ready to run a marathon)
INT: 16 (Learning new tasks quickly is part of the job)
WIS: 15 (Still the same)
CHA: 12 (Can carry on decent conversations with people I'm comfortable with)

M
stranger
stranger
M
STR 6 (I'm a weakling)
DEX 11 (I'm pretty nimble and good at noticing things)
CON 10 (Got insomnia, but otherwise I can probably take a hit?)
INT 15 (pretty smart, book-wise)
WIS 8 (Pretty dumb, street-wise)
CHA 13 (I'm an awkward loser but apparently people like me for some reason??)

virion Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Safe to assume that the same people complaining about these stats being too high are the same Debbie Downers who are whining in posts about BG3 being more like DOS3 and not being faithful enough to 5e?
Relax, it's meant to be a fun thread.

EEEEEEmmm...... As the OP.... I'm one of them laugh So the assumption is false. Idc about purism to the rules though. Anyways, keep updating your stats.
I have an idea what to do with them.

^^

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Str 10 (nothing special here but I sometimes have to do some stuff at work that the other females are too lazy or incapable of doing when there is no guy around for them to pester.)
Dex 12 (I have decent reflexes)
Con 14 (Never get sick with normal stuff like colds and flu, also heal fast)
Int 13 (I enjoy learning most anything and can solve problems decently fast, but suck at math)
Wis 16 (Can read people very well and have good perception, also have learned a lot from my past)
Cha 12 (I get along with most people once I have figured them out. Also I apparently scare some people)

Sometimes when feeling a specific type of rage either my Str or usually Cha (Intimidation) go up for a short time. Has kept me out of many bad situations.

@OP: You should do a thread for proficiencies as well. smile

Oooooh why not.

STR: 6 # I'm very small and anytime there's something heavy that needs moving someone near me is quick to say "let me get that"
DEX: 18 # My best stat. I'm ambidextrous and can do very delicate crochet/knit work
CON: 8 # I'm always tired
INT: 13 # Above average. I read a lot and I'm usually the first to solve puzzles in my household but certainly not genius level
WIS: 16 # I've seen some shit.
CHA: 12 # I can be fairly persuasive

Bonus: I'd be the tallest Halfing at 4'11

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Hm, my IRL D&D stats are:
STR:11 (luckily this can still be tweaked with the proper dedication)
DEX:12 (yeah... in my case seems to be untweakable^^)
CON:13 (Was practically invincible when I was young... but these days my warranty seems to have run out^^)
INT:17 (I don't like to toot my own horn... well, no I like to: I am the smartestest)
WIS:14 (At least some wisdom came with some age)
CHR:11 (This must be wrong... as far as I can see, this should be an 18)

Thing is, I'd like to be a sorcerer... but alas... I am not even a half decent wizard...

Last edited by TyPinOwly; 31/10/20 12:39 PM.
virion Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Zarna
Str 10 (nothing special here but I sometimes have to do some stuff at work that the other females are too lazy or incapable of doing when there is no guy around for them to pester.)
Dex 12 (I have decent reflexes)
Con 14 (Never get sick with normal stuff like colds and flu, also heal fast)
Int 13 (I enjoy learning most anything and can solve problems decently fast, but suck at math)
Wis 16 (Can read people very well and have good perception, also have learned a lot from my past)
Cha 12 (I get along with most people once I have figured them out. Also I apparently scare some people)

Sometimes when feeling a specific type of rage either my Str or usually Cha (Intimidation) go up for a short time. Has kept me out of many bad situations.

@OP: You should do a thread for proficiencies as well. smile

But I can't make an average of proficiencies smirk Not too sure what i could do with them xD

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by virion

But I can't make an average of proficiencies smirk Not too sure what i could do with them xD

Well now we know what you are doing with these stats. laugh
Would be amusing to see what people came up with though and you could do an average of most selected maybe?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by pinklily
STR: 6 # I'm very small and anytime there's something heavy that needs moving someone near me is quick to say "let me get that"

Huh, I get the opposite and keep getting "this is too difficult, can't you do it?" I'm not at all convinced it's my relatively enormous 5'7" stature; nor that I look fat and bad-tempered, on the basis of being fat and bad-tempered. Actually it's probably that "wisdom: nul points" thing as I've repeatedly injured myself by lacking the insight to say "actually... I can't do that" and then after I discover I really can't do that, I do it anyway, being too bloody-minded and generally stubborn to give up. And then something breaks. Which is usually me.

J'aime le fromage.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
There are some seriously OP builds here, I'm more like 8 all around and in need of a buff.

Stranger than life
Stranger than life
I'm guessing if i was born in Faerun I'd be statted massively differently. I like to think I'd be a favoured of some minor gnome deity whose portfolio is green Calimshite cheese. My only attack is after 5pm when I take my socks off. So high Con and Cha is my dump stat. Except for the faithful.

Originally Posted by vometia

Huh, I get the opposite and keep getting "this is too difficult, can't you do it?" I'm not at all convinced it's my relatively enormous 5'7" stature; nor that I look fat and bad-tempered, on the basis of being fat and bad-tempered. Actually it's probably that "wisdom: nul points" thing as I've repeatedly injured myself by lacking the insight to say "actually... I can't do that" and then after I discover I really can't do that, I do it anyway, being too bloody-minded and generally stubborn to give up. And then something breaks. Which is usually me.

xD This hurt my soul. I'm so sorry. Tbh, I've always been very conflicted. On one hand, yay someone else doing something for me. On the other hand, 8 times out of 10 I can probably handle it but people looove Infantilizing short people. So I could sit in impotent rage or shrug it off and let them do it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
xD This hurt my soul. I'm so sorry. Tbh, I've always been very conflicted. On one hand, yay someone else doing something for me. On the other hand, 8 times out of 10 I can probably handle it but people looove Infantilizing short people. So I could sit in impotent rage or shrug it off and let them do it.

Too tall to be "cute" but not tall enough to reach the high shelves. Then again, not being cute I haven't experienced the dubious privilege of being infantilised by random people. Which I have never done to my sub-5' friends. *cough*

Originally Posted by Yiasemi
I'm guessing if i was born in Faerun I'd be statted massively differently. I like to think I'd be a favoured of some minor gnome deity whose portfolio is green Calimshite cheese. My only attack is after 5pm when I take my socks off. So high Con and Cha is my dump stat. Except for the faithful.

Talking of tall, how's the weather up there, Yias?

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
12/09/12/12/14/10

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Str 10 (never did sports nut still I'm not so delicate laugh )
Dex 10 (just because I don't tumble on my own feets laugh I'm fairly good to follow objects' traiectories but fairly unable to move consequentialy)
Cons 14 (I'm 44 yold still I can count using only my hands the times i was seriously ill, that is more than three days on bed and with fever over 37.5° C, also, much to my surprise, I'm quite resistent to fatigue)
Int 16 (book wise and able to quickly learn new stuff, unless it requires high coordination or firm hands laugh )
Wis 17 (Life was a wonderful, read with a caustic tone, teacher, also being akin to my survival I'm always aware, when lazing around in town, of what happens around myself)
Cha 13 (I dare to say that is variable, my ability to charm people varies on how much I feel the need to sell myself in a due environment, so I can change from cold as ice and isolated to amusing, well informed, listening person laugh laugh ).

In faerun probably would choose a neutral (good or chaotic) or a chaotic (good) deity and probably choose the wizardry or cleric road. (but loving to be an oppositive argumentative know it all wizardry could be my preferred choice )

addict
addict
Agh, yeah, it's Barbarians not Fighters who can exceed 20 for their natural strength scores in 5E ... up to 24! Thanks for the correction. 24, isn't that like a Storm Giant? That just does not seem "natural" to me, but I guess there are the examples of Hercules and Sampson.

I was 4'11" once. I don't remember having too many problems with it, at the time. If I see someone who is really short trying to stuff their luggage in the overhead compartment on an airplane, I always let them give it a try for a couple seconds before I offer to help. I've seen some creative approaches such as the "bag toss" and the "chair climb". And if it doesn't work out, then there's nothing wrong with people working together for a good cause.

stranger
stranger
I am not sure where or how you guys are picking the stats but you are way over and in some case way under what would be true: here is an Idea for you to think about:

First of 8-11 range is "average". So everyone would have a range in this area for every stat except for some major, or even minor issues.

Strength 9-10 average, anything above 18 is "Olympic level strength"; My son is a power lifter i figure he has 18/75 or so strength) and he can bench 350, dead lift 750. a soldier who is on combat arms, specifically infantry would have a strength of 15-16, being able to carry a 35 pound combat load with no fatigue. It is possible to have a low strength because of lack of fitness, but anything below say 8 would mean some type of psychical issue, i.e. congenital deformity or acquired injury.

Intelligence can directly be translated to IQ so a 13 would be an IQ of 130. and anything below an 8 being effectively illiterate and mentally deficient, with say a 6 being the intellect of a 6 year old child.

Wisdom is can be measured as a function of intelligence.There was a dragon magazine article that talked about this relationship and i do not know which one it was. But it posited that it would be impossible to have a person with say a 9 intelligence and an 18 wisdom. That said there is no reason why a "mentally deficient" character could not have a high wisdom with a low IQ score. especially if this deficiency was an acquired deficiency do to Traumatic Injury later in life.

Dexterity is a separate statistic with an 15 being "Olympic level" or "professional dancer level", again anything 8 or below would be from some type of physical impairment.

Constitution is a function of strength, you can not be solid of body and weak, it doesn't work that way. especially since constitution is a measure of "physique" PHB 1 ed page 12. Anything less than 8 would be a physical impairment, Raistlin Majere had a con of 10, I am not sure how this was considering how weak he was. But those are the stats given.

Charisma is a separate stat and the hardest to quantify, it is a measure of PERSONALITY not only looks.

Many of the above stats can be broken down into 3 areas of concentration:

Strength: Muscle mass, Endurance, and Stamina.
Intelligence: Deductive reasoning, Memory, and Learning ability.
Wisdom: Intuition, Judgment, and Willpower
Dexterity: Fine motor skills, Reflex, and Speed.
Constitution: Health, Resistance, Fitness
Charisma: Persuasion, Magnetism, and Attractiveness.

Based on this you can scale each of the three on a scale of 1 to 6 and then add them together.

So, for me:

Strength: 3, 5, 5: total 13, a little low for a soldier, but then again i did struggle with the physical aspects of the job, and i never had a first class pt test.
Intelligence: 4, 5, 5: total 14 i have an IQ of 140 =/- 5, so pretty close.
Wisdom: 5, 3, 3: total 11, I am a leadership challenge because i make bad decisions sometimes. So again pretty true.
Dexterity: 6, 5, 5: total 16; I am a Dan level martial artist so this fits, and I can shoot 90% at 800 meters, and i was at the junior Olympics as a child.
Constitution: 4, 3, 3; total 10 I am 15 pounds overweight, but not unhealthy my cholesterol is fine and I don't have any other issues.
Charisma: 4, 4, 3; total 11 I have a certain amount of magnetism in me, even though i am average looking.

These stats were acquired over a 48 year life of study of martial arts, soldering ( I was in the Army), and graduate level studies in the social sciences. And with a career in Cartography and Urban Planning. The only place i really excel is IQ and Dexterity.

My Daughter would be:

Str: 8 she is out of shape and has very little stamina because of it.
Int 16 she is highly intelligent, even more so than me.
Wis 16 she is pretty open minded and intuitive.
Dex 13 She is also a Dan level martial artist, but being sick has taken its toll.
Con 7 She was born with a CHD, and has had two heart transplants and is in heart failure now.
Cha 8 She is crabby and bitchy because of her illness, and she was never properly socialized as as a child do to hospitalizations.

High School Graduate with some college.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by C_Corday
I am not sure where or how you guys are picking the stats but you are way over and in some case way under what would be true: here is an Idea for you to think about:

First of 8-11 range is "average". So everyone would have a range in this area for every stat except for some major, or even minor issues.

Strength 9-10 average, anything above 18 is "Olympic level strength"; My son is a power lifter i figure he has 18/75 or so strength) and he can bench 350, dead lift 750. a soldier who is on combat arms, specifically infantry would have a strength of 15-16, being able to carry a 35 pound combat load with no fatigue. It is possible to have a low strength because of lack of fitness, but anything below say 8 would mean some type of psychical issue, i.e. congenital deformity or acquired injury.

Per the rules your son has a STR of 25 as he can lift a weight of 750 lbs and Hafthor Bjornsson str would be 36 or 37 as he can lift 1100.

old hand
old hand
3 in everything.

I are ooga booga dumb dumb with joint problems.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 02/11/20 01:30 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena

Per the rules your son has a STR of 25 as he can lift a weight of 750 lbs and Hafthor Bjornsson str would be 36 or 37 as he can lift 1100.

Those are 5th edition stats and they are impractical. According to 5th edition the average person can carry 150 pounds. That means a person with a 10 strength should be able to carry a full combat load (35 pounds), plus all the kit that an airborne trooper carries (about 70 pounds), and even that of a "Ranger" load out (which is generally about 100 pounds of gear). And yet Rangers are constantly training to keep their physical fitness at peak levels (or at least a 15, but more like an 18).

Based on the 15 x ability score, a person who can dead lift 750 pounds has a strength of 50. A bench press of 350 is a Str of 23 for the 5th edition rules.

18/00 is the maximum human body lifting capability, period. A human body can not have a 19 or better strength the physics of the body make it impossible (according to 1st edition rules).

You move 70% of your body weight in a push up. Average height for a white male in the US is 70 inches. and the average weight is 165 pounds, so the average person could move 115 pounds, a strength of 8. We know this to be too low, as such the mathematics of 5th edition is flawed.

In 1st edition there is a table starting at strength of 12 there is a"'weight allowance" of 10 pounds, this increases to 300 pounds at 18/00. This is the amount of weight a person can carry without becoming fatigued, or moving at a slower movement than the 'base rate" of 120 feet per turn.

5th edition, in an effort to simplify the game, made the strength modifier so high so as to make encumbrance a non factor. I quote:

"your carrying capacity is 15 times your strength score, which is high enough that most characters don't usually have to worry about it."

So, the numbers in 5th edition are just plain impractical.

Better to use the 1st edition, or even 3rd edition which gives an 18 strength a 300 pound weight allowance, and an 11 of up to 38 pounds for light, capping out at 115 pounds for heavy. This would then be the 'minimum" strength for an Army Ranger, with a 15 or 16 ~ 70 pounds as "light" and 133-153 as medium, capping out at 200-230 pounds as heavy.

figure 35 pound combat load, 35 pound ruck, 30 pounds of additional gear (like a radio), and we are 100 pounds, and then you have, for a mortar team, a 50 pound base plate, and ammo, mortar tube and ammo, etc. M2 MAchine gun team 50 pound lower receiver, 35 pound barrel, and a 35 pound tripod, plus ammo...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard