Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by Contra
I've seen this discussion crop up a number of times and wondered why no one has suggested just implementing a hard cooldown for long rests. It would be very easy to incorporate into the current tutorial on resting and would eliminate the problem of rest-spamming while allowing folks to wait out the CD if they have to (which honestly isn't likely, given the availability of healing in the game).

It actively encourages people to use alt + tab instead of playing the game.

I mean only if you're actively trying to go to camp after every battle, which there is no reason to do unless you're being supremely lazy with the resources the game gives you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Contra

I mean only if you're actively trying to go to camp after every battle, which there is no reason to do unless you're being supremely lazy with the resources the game gives you.

Well, I've seen people here BRAGGING about their habit to rest after each single minor fight.
Which is weird, because it sounds like an unnecessary, contrived, incredibly tedious form of game masochism.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
In the next thread, players asked how to motivate the player to relax in the camp, since theoretically you can go through the entire first act without going to bed (except for a party with tieflings or goblins) and skip all the important events in the camp. I did not find the opportunity for a short and long rest immediately, it was not in the tutorial. I think Larian needs to think about how often the player should rest in the camp, and help him to act correctly

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
At this point in the iteration of gameplay there is nothing stopping you from resting after every fight. Making short rests useless and saving spells and abilities pointless. There needs to be at least a configurable difficulty to limit this otherwise why not use the best tactic. Players acting all big, tough and superior for not resting, butnwithout restriction it means 0

enthusiast
enthusiast
My suggestion is create an "iron ration" that you need for a long rest and limit when you reward them, for story beats that would be like 4-6 encounters. Each long rest needs an Iron Ration and since they are limited, Long Rests become valuable. Need to bump of short rests to like 3 between a long rest.

Of course, if you are going to limit long rests, you will need to rebalance the encounters so they are not all hard / deadly.

journeyman
journeyman
Again, it was my impression that allowing for frequent rests are by design.

A lot of the plot elements are tied to the camp which is why there's just one short rest and combat is on the more difficult side. This encourages you to return to camp often, and in turn allows these plot elements to progress.

And we'll have even more companions in the final game, and they'll want you to juggle your party around frequently. So you'll have their plot elements to push forward, camp NPCs, pets, etc. before having to decide on our final 3 companions by the end of Act I.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
It does seem like the number of long rests is by design. I was getting story content all the way the way through my last playthrough, and I feel like it explored everything.
Also I tend to limit them because I'm afraid there is some potential consequence, like that tadpole might actually burst through if you take to long.
Or worse yet, Gale insists on eating another one of my blue magic items.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In Baldur's Gate (the 1st game, Enhanced Edition), one can rest after every fight as well. At least on normal difficulty setting.

This is something that has to be adjustable based on player preferences, in something like a difficulty settings: allow endless rest & no pressure, or set limits.

Nothing can please everyone except customizable settings.

D
old hand
old hand
D
If short rests arent limited to 1 per day we wouldnt need as many rests either. Short rests regain you hp, some abilities (depending on class ofcourse) and would have often times sufficed for my rest. Favt that short rests are limited to 1 per day is just weird. And I do feel that the amount should br limited. Just not to 1.

Maybe 2 or a maximum of 3 could work without breaking the fliw of the game?

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
My suggestion is create an "iron ration" that you need for a long rest and limit when you reward them, for story beats that would be like 4-6 encounters. Each long rest needs an Iron Ration and since they are limited, Long Rests become valuable. Need to bump of short rests to like 3 between a long rest.

Of course, if you are going to limit long rests, you will need to rebalance the encounters so they are not all hard / deadly.

What if the player gets stuck and cannot rest, being on the verge of death / before an extremely difficult fight?
Read my previous post why this won't work.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

What if the player gets stuck and cannot rest, being on the verge of death / before an extremely difficult fight?

It would be easy to reset counters allowing rest before "boss fights" (possibly on lower difficulty settings though)

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Tulkash01

It would be easy to reset counters allowing rest before "boss fights" (possibly on lower difficulty settings though)

Well, not every tough fight is a boss. It's hard to say what will be a difficult fight for some people. I had no problems with the minotaurs myself, but the fight with the goblin leader was extremely unpleasant.
There is a reason why PoE2 doesn't have rest restriction items, unlike PoE1

Last edited by Rhobar121; 01/11/20 11:05 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Instead of having artificial limits just have the tadpole growing be an actual danger. (+the need items to rest mechanic).

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Ixal
Instead of having artificial limits just have the tadpole growing be an actual danger. (+the need items to rest mechanic).

Why introduce a mechanic that is disliked by most players? First of all, it is a game and should be fun.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Why introduce a mechanic that is disliked by most players? First of all, it is a game and should be fun.

Well the whole game premise is about you having a time bomb lodged into your brain and desperately searching for a way to remove it before it kills you. I'm not saying the game should have hard set time limits like in PF:Kingmaker (which I considered completely fine btw, although the game failed to explain they were in place when it was first released and that could force you to replay huge chunks of the game in order to suceed) just that some limitations for rest-spam whould be implemented otherwise suspension of disbelief is undermined along with internal ballance between classes.

addict
addict
Instead of having artificial limits just have the tadpole growing be an actual danger.

Please no. It would be very unfun. Not "challenging in a fun way". Just frustrating and punishing the player for engaging with side content.

Items needed for rest I can get behind though. And limit the places where you can long rest to areas that are actually safe and/or easily defendable. (Like... in a dungeon - a room with area around it cleared would be ok, but not an open corridor with unexplored rooms nearby. Something like that. In general, maybe require the area around the resting spot to be explored - adventurers wouldn't want to sleep in a completely unfamiliar location where anything could be lurking just a couple steps from the camp.)

veteran
veteran
I'd really prefer localized long rests where you camp on the actual map. With a chance to be attacked by wandering monsters.

If there has to be a "base camp" that is in a safe mystery location you teleport to, you should only be able to access it from a safe area. If you are not in a safe area, you should take long rests in a makeshift camp. Or find some kind of campsite or shelter, like the Deep Gnome village or Myconic colony.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Tulkash01

Well the whole game premise is about you having a time bomb lodged into your brain and desperately searching for a way to remove it before it kills you. I'm not saying the game should have hard set time limits like in PF:Kingmaker (which I considered completely fine btw, although the game failed to explain they were in place when it was first released and that could force you to replay huge chunks of the game in order to suceed) just that some limitations for rest-spam whould be implemented otherwise suspension of disbelief is undermined along with internal ballance between classes.

Then you just increase the difficulty of the fights.
Probably the class balance will be sacrificed for a more enjoyable gameplay.

In games, the problem with time lapse is practically from the beginning.
When the game tells you that you must hurry to kill the evil dragon, otherwise it will burn the city in 99%, you have unlimited time for it. Gamers are used to it.
You can set a time limit even several times greater than needed by the average player, but he will feel that he must hurry.
The consequences themselves could even have a minimal impact on the game, but still most players would not hate it.
Gamers like to play games at their own speed.
Out of curiosity, I looked at a few topics related to pathfinder (I didn't play it myself) and it wasn't a well-liked mechanic, even though the game was aimed at more hardcore RPG fans.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next part would either abandon it completely or make it even less important.

I have a better comparison to PoE1 and PoE2 (I played both of them).
In the first game, the rest was limited to items which, on a higher difficulty level, you could have two with you.
This meant that you often had to go back for more.
As you might expect, it was not pleasant, so it was removed in the next part along with the combat system overhaul. Which didn't help the game anyway.

It would be appropriate for Larian to learn from other developer's mistakes and not try to smash the walls with his head.
Restriction may make sense in terms of role playing and logic, but both them fail with convenience.
Better to use the proven rest systems from previous D&D games than trying to invent a square circle.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 01/11/20 12:57 PM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

Why others want to get immersed in the world, taking it slowly.

This may be the objectively wrong way to play depending on how immersed and slow you take it.

For me the first playthrough was avoid long rests, be super cautious, dont want long rests... I got a tadpole... time is ticking... Got to underdark before I saw the raphael cutscene.

My 2nd playthrough was me just deciding to spam long rests to see what happens. The answer being I got a ton more content since apparently most story stuff is tied to long resting. Even tadpole use is tied to longrests? Didn't know that since I didnt use it in the first playthrough. So the game actively encourages you mechanically and story wise to do long rests. It's all a bit weird considering the whole premise.

Originally Posted by Tuco

Well, I've seen people here BRAGGING about their habit to rest after each single minor fight.

With my experience in the 2nd "spam longrest" playthrough I can say 2 things.
It's not tedious at all even with my incredibly awful slow hard drive. Loading back and forth takes little to no time. Personally I found inventory, hotbar and party management a ton more tedious and infuriating if that matters.
It's the best way to heal. You get health back, don't use any resources to do so, get companion cutscenes thus more content and fill spellslots for mages. In essence being at max readiness always.

I'm not sure if people are bragging so much as pointing out how overpowered and unbalanced it is. It can be seen as suboptimal play if you don't use longrests a lot. But that doesn't make sense with the story premise. Yet the story relies on you long resting a lot to see all the cutscenes and get all the camp events.

Last edited by blazerules; 01/11/20 01:17 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Pretty sure most D&D games have been really lenient on Resting.

I normally try not to abuse the resting thing by playing like I would play in Table top. I do not cast bless every fight, I use cantrips most times unless I really need to burn down something, my casters have bows if they can use them (IE clerics sacred flame sucks), etc. I only rest when abilities, etc. are depleted and only sleep when the casters are wiped out of spell slots.

Just because a single player game allows spam sleeping, does not mean I have to do it.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard