Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#724818 01/11/20 10:53 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Played BG3 for around 10 hours and instead of spoiling myself any further, I have decided to let Larian work more on the game and wait until release before passing final judgement.

To celibrate this glorious occasion of having a NEW BALDURS GATE game in over 20 years, I have decided to replay the previous game..Including all the great MODS (Ascension, wheel of prophecy, NPCs, SCS, quests pack, tweaks, Banter pack, Spell revisions etc...)
30 hours in I'm still in Athkatla...still as fun as I remembered it wink

Have most people even finished BG2 with the community build MODS (SCS, Ascension, wheel of prophecy, colors of infinity quests....)? I*m really liking it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 01/11/20 12:03 PM.
addict
addict
Doing it right now. Started with classic BG1, which I actually hadn't played before. Vanilla+. Currently 100 hours in BG2, Chapter 6, Watcher's Keep. Having a blast.

I love the little subquest with fetching a moldy pair of slippers to appease an undead priest.

apprentice
apprentice
I did not play BG1 or 2 before
I have them in my steam library and I am just holding myself off till BG3 come close to version 1.0
so maybe after a year or two, I will play them

Human #724844 01/11/20 11:37 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Human
I did not play BG1 or 2 before
I have them in my steam library and I am just holding myself off till BG3 come close to version 1.0
so maybe after a year or two, I will play them

Just remember to start BG1/2 in advance if you want to finish before BG3 1.0 ships! They're quite lengthy, so depending on your play speed it might take a couple of months. wink Hope you have fun with those, they're great games.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
BG and BG2 were good in their time but are now purely nostalgia fodder for me. They are of their time.

I would not object to a 1:1 remake using the latest technology and graphics (and with D&D 3+ or PF rules), but I can't see that ever happening.

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sadurian
BG and BG2 were good in their time but are now purely nostalgia fodder for me. They are of their time.

Actually, due to the scalable "painted" maps & interface, they are quite enjoyable even today (assuming you use the widescreen mod or enhanced edition). One of the old games that has graphically the least problems with its age.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Yes, I still occasionally play both games (the EE versions). They still show their age.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Pathfinding issues aside, and the busywork looting that was adressed in the EEs: These games still hold up at their core real well, in parts because the industry's main aim in subsequent years was it to make games more cinematic (e.g. cosmetic changes in presentation), as well as making things more accessible to reach an even bigger audience (oft at the cost of system depth, which was also one of BGs strengths, being a fairly faithful adaptation of (A)D&D).

BG2 in particular also happens to have a ton of content even by modern standards -- engines have become ever more complex so that the same amount of content takes much more time to develop. Additionally, unlike many older games, the BGs control just like any old and modern RTS, and things barely get more intuitive than that on a keyboard and a mouse.

tldr; Have fun, but don't forget the first game (which I actually still prefer overall in big parts due to its more free-form exploration).

journeyman
journeyman
It's always good to play BG1/BG2. They among the best roleplaying games of all time for a reason.

veteran
veteran
I'm doing a replay now as well. No mods. Barbarian with insane stats. Right now I'm in the defiled temple but I don't remember how to get to the room with the dragon I thought you just need to have the three pieces of that symbol thingie so if someone has better memory please share.
I have minsc anoman Mezzy Vioconia and Nalia with me

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
I couldn't. After a solo playthrough I feel like i swallowed the soul of BG and it can't give me more than it did. Hence why I'm quite active on this forum ^^ I hope BG3 will be a step forward after Larian listens to us smile

Good luck on your playthrough!

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
I did a full BG playthrough before PoE2 release. Still great games.

I generally avoid community mods. I dislike “unofficial” content. I am even upset Beamdog made changes to BG1 - I prefer for games to stay in their original form whenever possible.

The only mod I use regularly is “Ascention” - mostly because it is done by original dev, and Throne of Bhaal needs all the help it can get.

Abits #724925 01/11/20 01:49 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Abits
I'm doing a replay now as well. No mods. Barbarian with insane stats. Right now I'm in the defiled temple but I don't remember how to get to the room with the dragon I thought you just need to have the three pieces of that symbol thingie so if someone has better memory please share.

Here's a hint: gems of light dispel portals of shadow... :P. Keep in mind that Shadow dragon can be pretty tough if you are low level.

Also, nice party set up but I never leave without my trusty Korgan...

D
stranger
stranger
D
Amazing game BG 2... with all the additions and some mods, I could play 100 hours + each run with it, and I have already finished the game something around 15 times across the years. Love it, It is a classic that never gets old.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I liked BG1 well enough for what it was, though it didn't draw me in that much to be honest. I adore BG2, however, and I played both just a few weeks ago for the first time. They both have a certain charm to them.

I used NPC Project for BG1, but only two companion mods for BG2. I'm not familiar with Ascension or most quest mods for this game though, are they worth getting and making another playthrough for?

veteran
veteran
I doesn't take much to get me to play BG:2 again, I typically play with the fix/tweak mods and the unfinished business mods too, but I've never really put a lot of time into the character and quest mods.

One of the great things (there are many) is how many companions their are. They usually have a quest they need your help with so the way I typically play I have a core set with an open slot for the guys to come in to do their quest then I drop them off so there's an opening for the next one. My core is usually Minsc Jaheria Viconia Yoshimo/Imoen. I typically don't have it in me to drop Minsc and Jaheira but do change up the other guys a lot, though not having Viconia's banter is tough.

Last edited by Sozz; 01/11/20 02:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tulkash01

Here's a hint: gems of light dispel portals of shadow... :P. Keep in mind that Shadow dragon can be pretty tough if you are low level.

Thanks. I'm loaded with lower resistance I'm gonna nail him

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Abits #724963 01/11/20 02:36 PM
addict
addict

Thanks. I'm loaded with lower resistance I'm gonna nail him

I remember at some point I casted several traps in one part of the room ( I don't remember the name of the spell...The one that allows you to create a floating skull and explodes if anyone approaches) and lured him in. If he survives you can still finish him of with an electric wand. Or try to setup 20 barrels around him. Oh wait. Wrong game. :P

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
addict
addict
Ah yes, the Shadow Dragon "Thatsasyphillus". I recall that I actually gasped when I first saw that beauty. BG II graphics are old, but you know, it doesn't matter once you start playing.

addict
addict

You just need Yoshimo and Helm of Vhailor, traps absolutely destroy Dragons in this game. The only one that reacts when you set traps is Saladrex.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard