Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
V
Well I certainly do not want the crafting of Fallout 4 or Skyrim implemented, this indeed is just clutter and a way to lengthen game time.

However technically Cromwell or Cespenar would count as crafting as well, as some pointed out. Throne of Bhaal also implemented potion and scroll crafting. I could totally see that in this game and hope it gets added.

Reason why this makes sense is simply that the fighting mechanics in this game are complex and you are supposed to use consumables on a large scale, since they offer new ways to tackle encounters. However players tend to just hoard the consumables and never use them out of fear that they might not have them available in a later fight. So the option to craft three potions/skills per rest like in BG2, or in a similar style like you brew the antidote in a cauldron with one ingredient, that is fine. Since food is now a reskinned healing potion converting those items would make sense, now, too, especially since their value at traders is non-existant.
So, the ability should absolutely be there, since Larian wants you to make use of poisons, oil, fire, barrels water, etc..

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by fallenj
Ya I want crafting, blacksmith, alchemy, enchanting, gathering, etc. You could craft a homunculus/golem, enchant, make scrolls, & magic weapons if I remember correctly just from the artificer class in 3.5

This went along with warforged since they don't heal by normal means, artificers could patch them up

In D&D 5th edition Warforged can be healed through magic as everyone else can be.

Last edited by Tulkash01; 01/11/20 09:33 AM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I haven't played game yet and ı know witcher 3 and bg 3 different type of games but ı think the crafting system that w3 have is pretty good.

The point is that we are not blacksmiths, we are adventurers. We can't possibly know all the secret methods of blacksmithing. Of course a "bs" could know better.

But we can collect the materials. While crafting in Dos2 I had came so unhinged. It is so boring to try every comb. of stuffs on bench. I dont wanna be a blacksmith it s opposite of my rpg style.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tulkash01
Originally Posted by fallenj
Ya I want crafting, blacksmith, alchemy, enchanting, gathering, etc. You could craft a homunculus/golem, enchant, make scrolls, & magic weapons if I remember correctly just from the artificer class in 3.5

This went along with warforged since they don't heal by normal means, artificers could patch them up

In D&D 5th edition Warforged can be healed through magic as everyone else can be.

Went back and read the book, originally they were considered living constructs an made from forges. They had aspects of constructs like Immune to poison, sleep effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain. Spells that heal health/ability damage only did half. They could be healed via repair metal/stone spells but took damage from spells like heat metal/chill metal, rusting grasp, & repel wood. Did not need to eat, sleep, or breath. Warforged couldn't were armor and came with deposit plating that gave natural armor and spell failure. They also had a light fortification feature that made them 25% resist crits.

I wouldn't be shocked if they healed full, truthfully half of what made warforged probably isn't a think in 5e.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Fikoley
I haven't played game yet and ı know witcher 3 and bg 3 different type of games but ı think the crafting system that w3 have is pretty good.

The point is that we are not blacksmiths, we are adventurers. We can't possibly know all the secret methods of blacksmithing. Of course a "bs" could know better.

But we can collect the materials. While crafting in Dos2 I had came so unhinged. It is so boring to try every comb. of stuffs on bench. I dont wanna be a blacksmith it s opposite of my rpg style.

What were you before you started adventuring? Artisan? blacksmith. You have to consider you had a life before you became a "adventurer".

D&D HAS CRAFTING IN THE GAME, you hypocrites want to complain that it is not D&D but dos3, but then want to cherry pick it. D&D period has tons of junk in it, grappling hook to silver/gold cups and plates as treasure, just tons and tons of junk. That is why you have donkeys & wagons, so when you finish you adventure you can stock up on what? Your reward at the end with treasure/junk.

Kind of funny, no one made you pick up all that stuff on the bench in the first place. People complain about stuff they don't have to do, like it's mandatory.

Crafting in most games is secondary, a crappy crafting system is not even that.

Last edited by fallenj; 01/11/20 01:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
If crafting can allow me to customize my gear, so make a +1 set of studded armor look different as an example. YES. Yes I need crafting to be in the game.

If it allows me to boost items I have and like the look of, say make a +1 Scimitar a +2 Scimitar of acid - YES. Yes I need crafting in the game.

If it is just another time and inventory sink in order to make healing pots, I can most likely get by without it.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
How could you know guess my assumption about dnd or dos3 PSYCHIC? Well certanly ı was not a blacksmith and not gonna be one.

And people complain about the stack they had to order or annoyingly think about crafting without any clue. We know everybody search crafting guides and then role play like a blacksmith we are.

Just if there is a prepared guide like a offered by a npc blacksmith things are become pretty tidy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think that Alchemy would be cool.
And for Ranger ( and Rogue? ) maybe trap crafting?

It has been suggested in another thread too but I think that being able to craft cosmetics would be fun too.

S
addict
addict
S
+1

Absolutely agree with the original poster on this. A convoluted loot (the loot level is also out of control and imbalances) and crafting system distracts and diminishes the focus on the characters. It surprises me that so many seasoned RPG developers clings to this Diablo/MMO-mindset. In Dragon Age Inquisition it was absolutely character defining and unbalanced in every way.

I'm fine with a very limited crafting system, for instance to create healing potions (scrap healing food), poison and such (scrap ever-burning candles to dip weapons in fire please!). Nor would I object to bringing back Baldur's Gate style assembling of artifacts/powerful magic items. Repeat after me Larian devs: Fallout 4 loot levels is the DEVIL! wink

Last edited by Seraphael; 01/11/20 01:52 PM.
Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Like we have had it in BG2 is fine or maybe like in Pathfinder Kingmaker but the artisans travel with you.
I'd prefer some great smiths and enchanting shops in Baldurs Gate though, where we find interesting characters that are talented artisans making the items for the player.

Crafting without questing doesn't add much to a game I think.

Crafting in order to constantly feed the player success moments will hopefully be avoided.

What we have in BG3 so far is creating a potion to heal oneself which is pretty cool, the spear and the sussur bark weapons although I haven't created those, simply forgot about them.

I hope there will be the option to take good looking armor and have it enchanted or modify already enchanted equipment, for a price. These things can take weeks though so choose carefully which weapons are going to be gone for a while.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I loathe crafting systems in RPGs. Especially in ones like DOS1 and DOS2 where the game is filled to the brim with hundreds, if not thousands, of different materials that you need an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of.
I, for one, am glad that BG3 seems to have absolutely minimal crafting, usually also requiring you to use a specific station such as a furnace for it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Crafting is a must for non-magical characters in D&D. Traps, arrows and bombs for those classes that don't have the means of AoE etc. is a must imo. Implementation is the key. As already stated you need a COMPLETELY separate inventory for crafting materials and a quick list of all the recipies known by class or learned via bp. You craft items on long rest like traps and stuff in 5e and you can only craft a certain "gold" value in base items per rest, 5gp I think I don't remember. Even scribed scrolls for mages etc.

Larian have already said they are implementing a crating system so I think the best feedback would be how you would like it implemented rather than if you would like one or not. Have the ability to disable the crafting system if it bothers you that much. I agree however the last thing you want is 5000 items lying about with no idea what they do or needing to read 50 pages of a wiki to figure out crafting recipies.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Bukke
I loathe crafting systems in RPGs. Especially in ones like DOS1 and DOS2 where the game is filled to the brim with hundreds, if not thousands, of different materials that you need an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of.
I, for one, am glad that BG3 seems to have absolutely minimal crafting, usually also requiring you to use a specific station such as a furnace for it.

Sadly theres a greyed out crafting icon currently in the UI, implying we'll get DOS2 style crafting eventually.

I wouldn't want it implemented in such a way that we'd have to rely on it or if only the most powerful thingies could be acquired through crafting. As long as it's a fun side thingy to do and not necessary or required then I don't usually mind it. I think what I dislike most about crafting is all the junk items in the world that you would pick up that are specifically for crafting. I just don't like filling up my inventory with a bunch of items I have no idea if I need to keep or not until like my 8th playthrough.

old hand
old hand
I'd
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Larian have already said they are implementing a crating system so I think the best feedback would be how you would like it implemented rather than if you would like one or not. Have the ability to disable the crafting system if it bothers you that much. I agree however the last thing you want is 5000 items lying about with no idea what they do or needing to read 50 pages of a wiki to figure out crafting recipies.

Ya alright, my take would be related to 3.5 since I have no clue how it's handled in 5e. Crafting magical items required prep spells, material, gold, an xp. You would sack more xp for higher level stuff once you hit the proper level, but you could not down level yourself. Brew potion was a low level, where wonderous item was higher.

I'd like to see each category for crafting: potions, trap, scrolls, etc.

This is off the top of my head, about to go to work & have no source material on me.

Last edited by fallenj; 01/11/20 06:28 PM.
K
K
This will depend on who much it is implemented. Many of us have noticed the crafting table in the camp. Does this mean crafting will be a regular thing? If it is limited to only a few craftables and quest crafting (like the flail with different heads and such in BG2), I don't think it would be a distraction. If they added something where I could use all the herbs from the apothecary cellar to make potions (not that I run out of potions from merchants at this point) Or had it so you can make something with the rope you find sometimes, I feel like that would also not be too much. However, A system that you can craft every +1 weapon in the game or non-named gear or is a purely economic function (make something with gemstones just to sell for more) would be a bit much though.
If the game is indeed only to have about 4 acts, the scale of the world is at play somewhat in the reasonableness of even adding a system of crafting. So far we have the craftable: the Sussar bark weapon and the antidote using Nettie's cauldron.

Possible ingredients I know of so far found: the herbs you can pick up in the apothecary cellar and other places/containers, the mushrooms in the Arcane Tower in the Underdark and in the mushrooms themselves, and raw meat. and possibly the various geodes and such you can get in the underdark.

Last edited by Kraydenvar; 01/11/20 06:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
Assuming they are implementing a general (non-quest) crafting system, I would much prefer:

a) We can only craft consumables (potions, scrolls, traps). I could really do without DOS's systems of crafting/improving armors and weapons every level up & new armor acquired.
b) There are not a bajillion options. 2-4 traps, ~5-10 potions (heal, fly, invisible, strength, alchem fire, poison, heroism, resistance, speed).
c) Scrolls: We should have to expend a spell slot, casting the spell into the scroll. This would additionally cost only paper and X GP. We should not have to collect a different herb/ingredient for each spell.
d) Kits. Either we can just buy "Herbalism kit, Poison Kit, etc." which contain all the necessary ingredients or:
d part 2) Failing ^, all herbs+etc we collect go directly into a dedicated kit/pouch. Item clutter is already a problem in this game and dedicated pouches that ingredients automatically go into would be such a relief.

addict
addict
I hate crafting.

Always ends up one of two ways.

Garbage, useless

Overpowered, mandatory

Hate it.

I hope it's just quest related crafting, but the prevalence of crafting tables is suspiciously like DOS 1.

One thing I hope isn't like the DOS series is the ability to easily craft magic arrows. The archer/ranger class is effectively an elemental Mage who would always use crafted magic arrows. I like the way magic arrows are fairly limited so far in BG3, so we reserve them for the hardest fights. Enemies are even a little too freely equipped with them, but that also gets back to the surface effects issue.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
I just don't like filling up my inventory with a bunch of items I have no idea if I need to keep or not until like my 8th playthrough.

This! I'm a pack rat, but I hate having too much stuff to collect and hoard and organize and wonder what I should or shouldn't keep.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard