K
Kokonut Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hi there
I really enjoy this game so far, there is only one thing that I don't like:

Since when we met, Laezel keeps telling me how important it is to find her friends which are the only ones who can help us getting rid of the tadpole. So I did my best, try to ignore all the other weird stuff going on and head on to the place where the Githyanki patrol was.
I thought that since I got one of them with me, they should have some trust in me and at least do not try to kill me immediately. However, I was wrong. Suddenly about 5 heavy armed Githyanki warriors attacked me, all level 5. There was no chance in the fight, it was a massacre (my party was level 3, me (Ranger), Laezel, Shadowheart and Gale. So I reloaded and tried other dialog options, but all of them lead to the green skinned guys attacking me and a total party kill.

This is no fun. There were absolutly no signs that this will happen, and that those guys are so strong. Of course the fight IS somehow winnable, either you have A LOT of luck or you use some cheese mechanics, but it kill immersion and I always feel bad when I start cheesing.
I had to load an earlier save and start to go to the Goblin camp, which I didn't want to and does not fit the personality of my character (he's a bounty hunter who always searches for the easiest, fastest solution of things, and due to laezel who seems trustworthy the Githyanki way is the best to get rid of the brain worms).

Stuff like this forces me to play the game not like I want, but like the game wants to be played.

I hope this will change after EA. Just give some more hints that those Gith will not be that nice as expected and rescuing the druid may even be the easier way to go.

English is not my native language so sorry for some mistakes in the writing.

Last edited by Kokonut; 01/11/20 01:12 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kokonut
Hi there
I really enjoy this game so far, there is only one thing that I want I don't like:

Since when we met, Laezel keeps telling me how important it is to find her friends which are the only ones who can help us getting rid of the tadpole. So I did my best, try to ignore all the other weird stuff going on and head on to the place where the Githyanki patrol was.
I thought that since I got one of them with me, they should have some trust in me and at least do not try to kill me immediately. However, I was wrong. Suddenly about 5 heavy armed Githyanki warriors attacked me, all level 5. There was no chance in the fight, it was a massacre (my party was level 3, me (Ranger), Laezel, Shadowheart and Gale. So I reloaded and tried other dialog options, but all of them lead to the green skinned guys attacking me and a total party kill.

This is no fun. There were absolutly no signs that this will happen, and that those guys are so strong. Of course the fight IS somehow winnable, either you have A LOT of luck or you use some cheese mechanics, but it kill immersion and I always feel bad when I start cheesing.
I had to load an earlier save and start to go to the Goblin camp, which I didn't want to and does not fit the personality of my character (he's a bounty hunter who always searches for the easiest, fastest solution of things, and due to laezel who seems trustworthy the Githyanki way is the best to get rid of the brain worms).

Stuff like this forces me to play the game not like I want, but like the game wants to be played.

I hope this will change after EA. Just give some more hints that those Gith will not be that nice as expected and rescuing the druid may even be the easier way to go.

Ahem... did you notice that Lae'zel is actually an evil zealot and when she talks about "purification" everyone feels unconfortable? She also knows less than she think she does and assumes things that are not actually true. As for your "problem", in RPGs some areas/encounters are more difficult than others and you should not expect to be able to win every fight because you just want to do so. The fight with the Gityanki is quite challenging if you try to take them when you are level 2 (not impossible if you know how to place yourself and how to use explosives). It becomes quite easy when you get to level 4.

Suggesting the game should scale down difficulty of encounters based on what you want to do, so you have an easy time suceeding (because that's fun in your opinion) is just not what this game needs imo.

Last edited by Tulkash01; 01/11/20 01:29 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Okay here is the thing.

I believe the area we are in may not be the entire ACT 1 area, and if it is then there are some fights that are obviously set up for higher level adventurers. We may be higher level when we actually would normally get that encounter.

This area may change a bit at launch and the companions we find here may not be the ones that are in the EA. We know that they included the companions they did so that evil playthroughs (which they requested) would be more viable. You may not meet Lae'Zel until later in the game, and end up coming back here for her quest at a higher level.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
There aren't really any difficult encounters in this game so far. You just need to practice playing the game. Try scouting instead of blindly walking into areas. Approach people carefully and position yourself for a fight in case the conversation goes badly.

In short, "git gud."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fisher
There aren't really any difficult encounters in this game so far. You just need to practice playing the game. Try scouting instead of blindly walking into areas. Approach people carefully and position yourself for a fight in case the conversation goes badly.

In short, "git gud."

I don't think that most people expected them to be hostile towards you tbh, even less so with Lae'Zel around.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
This fight was hard.

People will come in here and tell you it was easy. That they did it at level 2 or 3 easily using barrels, explosives, preemptively positioning before the fight, abusing push or invisibility/fog cloud or darkness. Others will say they soloed it with one of the broken class/race/feat/item combos.

Again this fight was hard. And that's okay. EA will be encounters will be tuned, level cap for first area will most likely go to 5. I personally like that there are fights that are more difficult, that you have to come back to with a stronger team. Gives this game a larger feel, a sense of progression and accomplishment

G
stranger
stranger
G
There are more than a few difficult fights with enemies near impossible to take on. The gityanki is one example, the green hag, I haven't gotten too far into the Underdark because the enemies seem beyond me. I don't have the armor, weapons, abilities or scores to match them. They are able to wipe me out in a round or two killing my characters with one attack. It is not about getting good. I can beat some with exploits and lucky rolls. It's not fun. Especially since my level is capped at four, I can't change my party without going to camp, many of the magical weapons are cursed, magical armor is rare. When trying to fight the Green Hag, for example. I attempted to position my party in ways that they were hidden and spread out and then the battle wouldn't spawn, she disappeared, so I had to group them all together and I couldn't use stealth. Using stealth is weird as players will not immediately enter combat and when they do they are thrown into an initiative order I can not figure out which offtimes means their turn is skipped. Surprise doesn't seem to work as even when I accomplish it I get screwed in that one character gets to act and the rest are left out and sometimes ignored for up to two rounds even when in the initiative order.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dotemtpy
This fight was hard.

People will come in here and tell you it was easy. That they did it at level 2 or 3 easily using barrels, explosives, preemptively positioning before the fight, abusing push or invisibility/fog cloud or darkness. Others will say they soloed it with one of the broken class/race/feat/item combos.

Again this fight was hard. And that's okay. EA will be encounters will be tuned, level cap for first area will most likely go to 5. I personally like that there are fights that are more difficult, that you have to come back to with a stronger team. Gives this game a larger feel, a sense of progression and accomplishment

During my first playthrough (Lvl 4 Dwarven Battlemaster Fighter/Lae'zel/Astarion/Shadowheart) i walked into the Gith without being rested and started talking to them then they attacked to great effect thanks to misty step (and double attacks). I quickly lost Lae'zel (critted) then Astarion and Shadowheart. They had managed to cut down a couple of Gith before falling but it wasn't enough. Meanwhile I had managed to position my character on higher ground and got rid of the Gith who had placed himself up there (a couple of attacks and and then shoving him down did the trick) the rest I cut down by throwing stuff at them (like the Illithid "gravity bombs" you get from the nautiloid, damage plus falling damage work great in this game) and then killing the last remaining one. My problem was I didn't have resurrection scrolls on me and I had to go buy them since you cannot rest when one of your characters is dead...

My second playthrough (Half elf Warlock 3/Lae'zel/gale/Shadowheart) I knew what to expect. I separated my characters and place them all on higher ground then I sent Lae'zel to talk with the Gith. The ensuing confrontation was a one sided slaughter in my favor...

Last edited by Tulkash01; 01/11/20 02:11 PM.
K
Kokonut Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
You can't do any stealth there, as soon as you go into reach the dialog and afterwards the fight begins. If "git gud" means placing oil barrels and abusing fog cloud bugs then I won't "git gud" at all.
I don't expect to win every fight, but this fight is NOT winnable without cheesing or multiple reloads, so there should be at least either a hint that those giths are so strong (even if I would expect them to attack me, I wouldn't expect them all to be at level 5) or a way to avoid the fight.

I am no newbie in RPGs, I play DnD for a long time and if my DM would challange my level 3 party with such a fight he would just be.. a bad DM. A good DM would give you hints that if you go this way, you would most likely die.

I want to play this game "fair" and DnD-like, not DOS2-like by abusing all this stuff.

Last edited by Kokonut; 01/11/20 02:16 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kokonut
You can't do any stealth there, as soon as you go into reach the dialog and afterwards the fight begins. If "git gud" means placing oil barrels and abusing fog cloud bugs then I won't "git gud" at all.
I don't expect to win every fight, but this fight is NOT winnable without cheesing or multiple reloads, so there should be at least either a hint that those giths are so strong (even if I would expect them to attack me, I wouldn't expect them all to be at level 5) or a way to avoid the fight.

I am no newbie in RPGs, I play DnD for a long time and if my DM would challange my level 3 party with such a fight he would just be.. a bad DM. A good DM would give you hints that if you go this way, you would most likely die.

Ok... as a DM I agree you as a player should get an hint about these Giths being dangerous psycopaths. Fact is you get all those hints. Lae'zel doesn't know what she's talking about (listen to her banter carefully and you'll get it). The Githyanki are a bunch of evil zealots and them talking about "purification" should raise alarms in your mind. Third, when you notice the adult red dragon you should know they are pretty dangerous.

Anyway: try unlinking your party, place them on the towers above the battlefield (you can easily do so when approaching the Githyanki, it's the spot where the tiefling huntress is hiding then spread your characters out) then send your tank to talk with the Gith and start the encounter. When they try to engage you, hit them and then shove them down, the combination of attack damage plus falling damage will get rid of most of them. If you need to finish them with bombs or fire/explosives comboes.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Barely made it the first time, it's tough and for people who expect every fight is winnable it will be frustrating. I'm glad some of the "this group is too strong for you right now, hero" was left in the game. You are level 3 and they are level 5, which means a variety of things you get too when you level up.

If you really want to make it at level 3 use resistance potions, haste potions, invisibility potions, the aid spell and whatever else you have. Some of them you can take before talking to them.

Above all else though I feel like there should be a peaceful resolution, depending on how the chat with the comanding gith went.

Last edited by Tuv; 01/11/20 03:26 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm pretty sure there is a peaceful way to deal with the situation.
In my first playthrough, Lae'zel rushed to speak with them, then my character got to the conversation. I decided to let her speak and at some point when they talk about the weapon you get a persuasion check to tell Lae'zel to play along and not tell them anything. After they just leave.
That solution is still a bit bugged because Lae'zel comments you should check the bodies for a clue but nobody is dead so there is no way to progress her personal quest.
In my second playthrough I just killed them to see how hard the fight would be and that was worth it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
The fight is unexpected and quite awkward. It is possible without luck or cheesing it (I'm not especially good at either) but it's definitely one of those late game encounters (at least late in terms of what we have) and requires some careful manoeuvring, or at least separating your characters and putting the couple that aren't Lae'zel and the PC into advantageous positions.

Originally Posted by Fisher
In short, "git gud."

Don't go there. It's neither helpful nor amusing and isn't welcome here.

J'aime le fromage.
If you beeline to the patrol, you may not be level 4 yet, or have collected enough +1 weapons and other trinkets to handle it. Given the location on the map, it's intended to be a late encounter in Act 1.

Personally, I like games that have very hard encounters that I stumble into, and have to come back later to deal with. In DOS2, I remember the group of scarecrows in a field that looked harmless, and suddenly wiped our party when they came alive. We hadn't leveled up enough, and my wife and I in co-op were still getting used to the combat systems. So we just came back later when we could handle it.

Finally, I don't think the game is perfectly balanced yet, and Larian may eventually tweak this difficulty. Especially if Act 2 locks out a return to Act 1 to finish up things like this.

Last edited by Frumpkis; 01/11/20 04:50 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Yes the fight was one of the more challenging due to them all using misty step etc. but the game would be beyond boring without challening fights even the ones you loose the first time around, i certaintly hope for most of the fights to be super challenging without getting the feeling of the AI cheating too much.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Maybe....I feel like Larian games typically have a fight order you have to figure out DOS2 was full of that.
I don't care you amazing you are at turn based strategy games, I dare you to walk straight into those scarecrows before leveling on other fights....

I feel like fIguring out the best order to handle encounters (by dying a lot) is part of the overall Larian strategy theme.
I kind of like that, but I maybe a weirdo.

veteran
veteran
I don't think there is such a thing in Larian games. Remember that right now there is much more xp than levels, and I assume that the toughest fights in the ea will be much less hard with an extra level or two

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
So the first time I encountered these Gith I talked my way through it. Telling people I had rotten wormy brains didn't strike me as advantageous also Lez is aggressive enough and she likes me. These guys were killing the Flaming Fist for laughs.

Second time I wanted a fight. They were assholes and I wanted to put their dicks in the dirt.. If I remember correctly there are only four of them, and only one is level 5. Do the double attacks hurt? Absolutely. Are they going to drop someone? Almost certainly. It is an imbalanced encounter. . .However, it is also immediately in front of the exit of Act 1. I get why you rushed there, I did the same thing for what I imagine are the same reasons, and like you I also resent being forced to learn through failure and the truth is this is not a fair fight. . .But its also true that not every fight should be fair. Its difficult and frustrating but it isn't impossible. Take it as an opportunity to learn to play more strategically and improve upon your efficacy.

Have fun with it, like this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...ncy_is_a_dead_meta_use_hoardermancy_for/

Last edited by DistantStranger; 01/11/20 05:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
What makes it worse is that you have to go through a billion dice checks lol.
And then on top of that too if you ask him to clarify what the weapon is he just attacks you for asking questions.
I was all like '' oh so I am helping these guys now '' and asked him to clarify and he sentenced me to death.

L
L
Occasionally running into fights which aren't winnable at your current level is fun, but I'm sure there will be adjustable difficultly levels for those who disagree.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard