Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
stranger
stranger
G
It is strange that the women are the same, both are condescending, stand-offish, and unbearable. I don't understand why they need to be so horrible at every moment. I don't want them around. I don't need them questioning every decision and annoyed that I try to talk to them. That said Gale and Wyll are almost the same as well. The women (I am guessing) are tough on the outside, squishy on the inside, where the men are optimistic and heroic on the outside with a dark, shameful core. I don't like the approval/disapproval system, especially since I need these folks to play the game; I don't get to choose a party who aligns with me, and when trying to get to know them I am immediately turned off by their snark and disregard. I don't need to be looked down on. I don't enjoy dialogue choices that lead only to them insulting me. Astarion is always in a bad mood for me- not sure what I did to piss him off. I don't want to play a game where I am trying to please the NPC's instead of permitted to make my own decisions, and these are NPC's I need to play the game.

Statistically, most folks play "the good path" in games, so why are we saddled with NPC's that are dicks? Why do they see no obligation to even be civil? I am all for complex characters, but I have played numerous characters the way I want to play and all of my NPC's are shut down and consistently unhappy. If nothing else maybe have them weigh in on what they would like to do, so at least when I make a decision I have some idea how they will react. I would also suggest some dialogue that is not so dire. We can talk about things that aren't life or death or moral and immoral, at least then we could be people for a bit and not folks ready to judge each other, take power, or take a controversial side.

D
old hand
old hand
D
So I dont know this DISC test and im not sure why people are assuming peoples personal opinions and stances on anything. Its not helping the discussion? Larian said already that they are worried about how these characters will be received and big chances are that if we perceive them in a negative light that other would so as well, which they obviously want to avoid.

I dont think Shadowheart is rude, per se. First impressions she comes across like that but when I thought about it, most of my dialogue with her I was prying into her personal business and I was a random person she just met. It would be weird if she wasent put off by that or just spilled her entire history in a heartbeat. The things she likes seem to be pragmatic and logical things. BUT. She also has things to hide and when people pry about those things she basicly tells them to take a hike if you dont pass the (often difficult) skill checks. Shadowheart doesent trust anyone (understandably) and if you start prying she doesent open up but just gets more secretive. Allowing the players some less creepy and invasive ways to get her to open up would be appreciated though, we can only be rude and/or very straight to the point and no holds barred with her., no middle ground there which is a shame.

Lae'zel on the flipside is more about showing strength, taking care of inmediate peril (the parasite) and alot of her personal biases come from Githyanki culture. She thinks Gith are super and others are inferior for example. She istent just rude per se either, she just speaks her mind. Regardless how that makes her appear to people. I have a part of Lae'zel's personality as well (the no bullshit straight to the point part) and people often perceive me as rude while the only thing im doing is beeing straight to the point. Alot of people dont get that or perceive it negatively. And before people misunderstand, its not that this personality trait means you dont understand tact or know when its needed. (ok maybe for Lae'zel it is but could be a cultural thing?) Its kind of the inverse, we dont beat around the bush or lie to make people feel better or make kind with people when we dont perceive them as such. Dident like the opinion you heard? Shouldnt have asked then. wink kinda like that.

I like the fact that their personalities clash as well. This was a thing in bg as well lest people forget. Some people would outright attack eachother if kept in the same party for to long! From what ive seen so far its only a mutual distrust though and hasent reached any outright hostilities (yet) although granted im just at the druid camp with this 2nd playthrough...

K
K
Originally Posted by GoldenSphinx
I would also suggest some dialogue that is not so dire. We can talk about things that aren't life or death or moral and immoral, at least then we could be people for a bit and not folks ready to judge each other, take power, or take a controversial side.

Talk to shadowheart enough she tells you what flowers are her favourite and other stuff...like why she worships Shar...

Astarion: I really don't like him, he care onyl abotu himself.
Gale: Dumb wizard by which mistake and lust for power every one around him can die.
Will: Good who want save people so he borrow power from demon and now don't want pay for it.
ShadowHeart: rude thief, very religious and secretive.
LaE'Zel: She blindly believes in the teachings of her people and trusts her queen. For her, all that matters is strength and the service of the queen.

I don't like any of those companions at all. If you wanted to be friend one of them I will refuse. Ok I can do job with them but I will never drink with them in my private time.

K
K
Originally Posted by Rouoko
Astarion: I really don't like him, he care onyl abotu himself.
Gale: Dumb wizard by which mistake and lust for power every one around him can die.
Will: Good who want save people so he borrow power from demon and now don't want pay for it.
ShadowHeart: rude thief, very religious and secretive.
LaE'Zel: She blindly believes in the teachings of her people and trusts her queen. For her, all that matters is strength and the service of the queen.

I don't like any of those companions at all. If you wanted to be friend one of them I will refuse. Ok I can do job with them but I will never drink with them in my private time.

Isn't that the premise though? The party is one of circumstance and less one of choice. There is something rewarding about getting to know a character gradually rather than them just telling you what they are about straight off. I remember romancing Viconia in the previous games, the character showing her vulnerable moments after enough work. With Shadowheart we learn things as to why she is the way she is as you progress,
and once you find out what her mission is and her erased memory comes back or not there could be more

We can also speculate as to the connection they have with the tadpole, being able to pry into eachother's minds could understandably make the characters more distrustful of eachother to an extent.

Viconia was really nice writed in BG 2 in BG 1 was really poor character. I start loved her when I played game second time but it was really hard to have her in party.
Jeheira was one of my favourite romances and was really nice companion in late game. In early she was like mother. Do that, don't do that.
Aerie was naive but I loved her backstory, and I always have her in my party if I can.
Jan I loved that bastard he was funny msot of time.
Natalia have no knowdle about world and people. She want be a good lord but she have no idea what to do.
Mazzy, I always wanted to ramance with her, I loved her backstory and her character in game.
And from EE I really loved Neera she was crazy but in good way, I loved her humor, and I want see that type character in BG 3, mabe a bard?

journeyman
journeyman
On my first few playthroughs I wanted to get to know all of them and try to follow their side stories (save for LaE'Zel to be honest. I always just had her benched at the camp). However when I started later on while playing a more 'I don't care what you think', I found myself only sticking Asterion in my party and going it with just the two of us. There is a potential tiefling companion that I would love to have join us later, but they are not recruit able.

I stopped caring about Shadowheart. She never wants to share anything about herself, but when she said the line 'your business is my business', I realized how selfish and hypocritical she is. I used to always have her in my party but these days in my most recent playthroughs I don't even invite her to my camp.

I liked Gale. My goody goody two-shoesness (especially in wanting to help the tieflings) got me on good terms with him. But his 'I want to eat your rare equipment' thing turned me off. If he's not in my party, that won't be my problem. Sorry Gale, figure it out yourself my dude.

I usually ignored Wyll. I would invite him to my camp but never play him because I always play Warlock. When I tried a playthrough of bringing him and going through his revenge story, it became more trouble than it was worth. He's hella shady and I'm sure his quest is worth unfolding but... I like playing Warlock. No other class gives me the amount of satisfaction that Warlock does (Until we get Bard unlocked).

LaE'Zel. I personally hate people who are bossy and overbearing. From the start I felt really rebellious with her. 'You will do as I say', 'No, no I will not'. Now I just leave her in the cage. I used to free her and now I don't. When I tell her to say please and thank you, she's like 'no', so my natural reaction is going 'kay, bye'. I don't even feel bad about it.

Asterion is the only one I genuinely like. He's a horrible and selfish person. Probably charming you to get what he wants and seems likely to stab you in the back, but I seriously find him super fun to be around. He has fun dialogue (especially the barn scene) that tends to get overridden if you have others in your party (like Shadowheart always gives her two cents in my playthroughs) so I was super shocked by the things he actually had to say when it's just the two of us.

Hoping to see more companions but even more so, I'm hoping there's a way that all companions can add their input towards a situation or scene instead of one person saying something. Dragon Age Inquisition did companions right for me. Giving BG3 more time to finish and refine their game, I hope, adds more depths and casual dialogue/banter as we go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard