Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Svalr
I think that there's a difference between feedback that is all about removing things because you don't like it and taking things away from other people, and '' this is bugged and doesn't work '' or the addition of other options on top of it.
One is kinda just narcissistic and the other is less subjective and limiting for others.

Sex is a part of companionship too, and I don't think that all dialogue needs to be in actual words either.
A lot of dialogue is a matter of action, like the expression '' actions speak louder than words ''.
When you kiss your significant other you're speaking to them without words, it's the same with sex.
It's physical interaction and a form of expression and communication.

And the dialogue of which you speak is written, it's not the same as animated sex or other forms of intimacy.
I really don't think that the dialogue is suffering because of it, if anything there's probably more of it leading up to and following it.
Sex is a part of the roleplaying elements in and of itself and seeing that represented visually is no different than seeing anything else visually represented as a result of dialogue and roleplaying.

And again you just keep arbitrarily focusing on how sex being visually represented is '' unnecessary ''.
Do you apply this same logic to everything else having to do with dialogue and visual representation as a result of that dialogue?
Is it just sex or should kissing and hugging not be animated either?
Do we really need to see characters drinking?
What about the singing scene, is it really necessary to see her sing? They could just save resources and cut to black or have a still image.
Same with other stuff like dragons flying in or fight scenes, might as well just be a cut to black.
Or if you die due to dialogue, it could just be a cut to black too.

Edit: I just totally reject this notion that I have to choose between better dialogue and sex.
It's not even the same people who animate and who write.
If there's an issue with the writing that's on the writers not the animators.

+1

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
I also didn't want romance removed, just the cutscenes and pick the option path to romance. I just feel that most individuals want to watch a cut scene more then role playing the situation. Cutscenes are not the only reward.

How about let people play their game the way they want to? I do not care about romance in games, perhaps because I tend to rp characters with more important concerns (maybe they just haven't found the "right" one yet. smile ). I would not ask any game to remove this because it is not that important for me. There is a way to skip the scenes if you do not wish to see them. If someone is so interested in a cutscene with a particular character then let them manipulate the game into showing them what they wish to see. Nothing wrong with that either.

I do wonder sometimes if there should be a "sanitized mode" for people who are at risk of small children or insecure significant others walking in on them when they play games. A simple toggle at the start of gameplay so they are never at risk of a sex scene playing.

Also the companion should also attempt to concede or adopt to your playstyle as well.

This I don't understand at all, especially in relation to the topic. Why should they force themselves to be a certain way to please you? This makes for miserable relationships and is often how an abuser expects their victim to act.

If you mean adaptive AI based on how you engage in combat then this would be awesome, have never played a game with this.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by OP

Romance is the wrong reason...
...to choose a dialogue option to watch a cutscene.
...to feel an accomplishment for watching a cutscene.
...to play this game.

All [arguably] true, but that doesn't mean 'get rid of it'.

Watching a Dwarf heal a bird is also the wrong reason..
...to watch a cut scene
...to feel accomplished for watching a cutscene
...to play this game.

It's just something that can potentially, and optionally happen in the game. Some things you'll like better than others.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
G
stranger
stranger
G
I am cool with romance that folks can opt into or not. I do not like romance that relies on characters to totally agree on everything. I think it is totally possible to fall in love and /or have sex with someone who has very different perspectives and opinions than you. I really don't like romance as the "You hit ll the right choices to unlock character X.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I am constantly puzzled by people who make the point the OP has made. This is the game and this is how its developers envisioned it. It is in keeping both with the previous games in the franchise (BG2 was in fact the game that originated romances in video games), and with previous games of the studio making this game. If you don't like romances, you don't have to follow those plots, according to Larian's recent community update a full 1.7% of players chose to not pursue any romance, kudos to them! If the romance still bothers you so much, there are a thousand other games in the market without this plot feature, you are welcome to them, but you don't see me going on their fora and admonishing them for this lack of plot option. I just would probably not buy that game.
But telling other people why they should and should not buy a game, what they should enjoy or feel a sense of accomplishment for is arrogant, egocentric, and self absorbed. Other people are not you, they enjoy different things, and I feel amazed I have to say this: you can't and should not try to tell them what choices to make or why to make them.

Last edited by Callimachus; 02/11/20 05:19 AM.
Well one quick look through only the front pages of this forum serves you up with gems like: remove cutscenes, remove romances, what's the point of auntie Ethel, NPCs being too low level as we should obviously be only fighting rats throughout Act1 etc

So let's do away with the story, companions with actual personalities, romances, cutscenes, sidequests that are actually interesting etc and let's all play peasants fending off a major rat infestation and fetch subquests while obviously religiously following 5e which is actually the one and only holy postulate everyone should care about here (btw anyone else fed up with endless 5e threads? I mean I get it - sorta but why does EVERYONE need to create a separate thread about it? Could we just give them a subforum maybe?)

Last edited by Azarielle; 01/11/20 03:51 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
No I disagree. It's kind of standard for RPGs of this callibre (DOS2, Dragon Age series, Greedfall) to be able to romance your companions. You can CHOOSE NOT TO. I don't agree that it should be removed, but I wouldn't mind if you were given the choice to partake or not. I personally don't have to have sex and would like the option to do it or not (which from what I've seen so far, IS OPTIONAL). Meaning that for you to know that it happens you CHOSE the option to do so.

What a selfish request.

Last edited by Divine Star; 01/11/20 04:29 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Well one quick look through only the front pages of this forum serves you up with gems like: remove cutscenes, remove romances, what's the point of auntie Ethel, NPCs being too low level as we should obviously be only fighting rats throughout Act1 etc

So let's do away with the story, companions with actual personalities, romances, cutscenes, sidequests that are actually interesting etc and let's all play peasants fending off a major rat infestation and fetch subquests while obviously religiously following 5e which is actually the one and only holy postulate everyone should care about here (btw anyone else fed up with endless 5e threads? I mean I get it - sorta but why does EVERYONE need to create a separate thread about it? Could we just give them a subforum maybe?)

There's always going to be the oddly unself-aware, "this isn't how I would make this game" type criticism. The retort of "well, make your own game then." is a bit reductionist, but some could definitely grow a little and understand that there is not only ONE valid way of doing things.

old hand
old hand
I don't see any real difference between "Remove this" and "Add this" type criticisms to be honest. They're both self-entitled. But this is the forum for feedback and suggestions so it's not like anyone is wrong to suggest things that would make the game better in their mind.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
I hope you're joking! A cutscene in a romantic line is like a reward for players. And dialogs don't get worse just because they have animations, that's nonsense. Just click "skip" if you don't like it.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
I don't see any real difference between "Remove this" and "Add this" type criticisms to be honest. They're both self-entitled. But this is the forum for feedback and suggestions so it's not like anyone is wrong to suggest things that would make the game better in their mind.

Cut all of the voice acting and invest in a statue of me in the Belgium office.

veteran
veteran

Cut the evil route in invest in a statue of me in the us office too

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
K
K

For sure. I agree that no one is wrong for making suggestions of things which they believe would make the game better. We benefit from understanding that phrasing or expressing oneself in a constructive way with criticism is something people have different skill levels with. We also have people from various backgrounds who do not have English as a first language and expressing criticism may not be as eloquent as it could be. We see a gamut of suggestions here, even if some tend to stay on the front page longer than others.

old hand
old hand
People who have a different opinion can support me on this topic. More kink options in romance

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand

You have my 110% accord

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
Quoting The Dude: "Well thats just like your opinion man." Keep the romance for those that like it and have a toggle in settings for those who don't.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Quoting The Dude: "Well thats just like your opinion man." Keep the romance for those that like it and have a toggle in settings for those who don't.

Or you can choose "NO".
I know, it may be shocking, but there is such a dialogue option.

veteran
veteran
Maybe i get it wrong ...
But i dont see any problem, in both my gameplays where i get to romance, i could choose to "go sleep alone" ... so ... that button for "not seeing sex" is already there. o_O

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
C
apprentice
apprentice
C

Not going to even argue with your point, because it is irrelevant here. The OP didn't say "Larian please cut this or that", the OP addressed players and told them they were wrong to want what they want, to enjoy what the enjoy, or to feel a sense of accomplishment for what they work to achieve. That is rude, entitled, arrogant, and self absorbed.

journeyman
journeyman
I also didn't want romance removed, just the cutscenes and pick the option path to romance. I just feel that most individuals want to watch a cut scene more then role playing the situation. Cutscenes are not the only reward.

How about you let people play the game the way they want and stop telling people how to play a game just because you don't like something. Their are people who enjoy romance in games even if its awkward or good, just like their are people who don't like romance in games. Yet those who don't like romance in games don't try to tell others what they can and cannot do in their own game. I for one enjoy games with romance in it and I do tend to look for games with romance in it and if it does even better along with the story and combat imo.

Also a cutscene in a romantic conversation is a "reward" for the player and nothing wrong with sex scenes in a video game and off the top of my head right now I can name 2 video game series with sex scenes Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

You do know that their are and can be sex scenes in Pen and Paper games, I have seen a few during the years of playing Pen and Paper and my characters have been involved in a few.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 02/11/20 10:32 AM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard