Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
stranger
stranger
S
The gith fight is the only one I didnt "master" and needed to barrel. Unlinking in group and putting characters in stealth doesnt work with this one. You cannot get surprise on them.
There is now a warning cinematic before getting there (and no more talking yourself out of a fight). The difficulty itself has been lowered (less HP), but the misty step double tap hits to hard especially with them getting intiative almost all the time.

D
old hand
old hand
D
I tried this fight a few times. Got slaugjtered ever yime. The explored the rest of the area and came back when i had done everything else and managed it without to much trouble.

Its doable if youve done the rest first. Ive also strolled past them disguisijg shadowheart as a githjanki (no Laezel in party) and talked myself to avoid the fight. Ive heard others say the same eith a gith PC so non violent options are also possible.

But yeah, the encounters as a whole need some work.

veteran
veteran
Im sorry, but there was several hints. :-/

Bigest of them is named Shadowheart ...
The way Lae'zel is talking to litteraly anyone, including you, even in situation when you are her only hope for freedom. :-/
Then there was that dragon, burning flaming fist soldiers ...
Or his rider specificly says "question, kill, then move on" ...
Also you see their levels ...

And i bet i could find some more. :-/

Originally Posted by Fisher
In short, "git gud."

You have typo there ... its Gith gud. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Unfortunately Larian’s game has always been about basically know every encounter beforehand or wipe. Its either you wipe or you get yourself absurd advantage and then wipe them. It saddens me greatly that this is once again encouraged here and again greatly reduces the ways you solve an encounter. It is just boring really if every encounter expect me to position high ground + abusing some kind of explosive or prep - because it makes every encounter the same and makes replaying a snooze fest since you already solved the game.

I played DOS2 once and never touched it again - i have solved the game and one strategy beats all. I know all encounters beforehand so ambush is pointless and since highground/surpise factor matter so much with this game i pretty much won already with just pre-positioning. I hope it wont be the case here.

Last edited by Cyka; 01/11/20 08:25 PM.
addict
addict
Amusingly when I did this fight on my first time Shadowheart killed three Githyanki by shoving them off the gate because they kept chasing her up there. The third teleported to the gate where my spider was waiting.

Which I TOTALLY planned. Yep. The spider definitely didn't just sit there as I climbed down and forgot about it again. Deeefinitely.

I do sympathize though. That is a rough fight. Especially if you're not expecting it. Though you probably should go in expecting to fight them if you listen to anyone other than Lae'zel about the Githyanki.

What the game really needs is a better what to disengage from combat. Right now it is almost impossible to run away from a fight going south.

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 01/11/20 08:41 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
This fight is pretty hard, true. I got there a little bit early with I believe level 3, and it took me all my consumeables and every spell I had to win this fight.

I mean, it's fair that it's this hard, since this is where you can start travelling around the world, and I assume an alternative end to act 1. Could use some heads-up though, if you are not prepared and haven't saved in a while, you probably won't beat it and lose your progress.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
enthusiast
enthusiast
The fight is really tough to get though without cheese mechanics at lv 3. The first round is tough to go without losing 3 guys. Even though they are advertised as lv 4-5 they have many bonus actions which would suggest they are in fact higher lv. It is doable with conversation alone but you miss out on "story stuff" if you go convo route.

I managed at level 3 ranger beast master after a few tries with the same setup as OP but it was 5-6 tries and used every defensive spell I could just to live though round one. After that many of their 3 action combos were reduced to 2 making it much more tit for tat combat. Didn't hide any of my guys or do anything you wouldn't normally do in that situation as a "first encounter". I was lucky as well as I managed to cause fear on a first hit removing one from the fight right off. Not going to lie, felt pretty good once they bit the dust and could very well have taken more tries at lv 3.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I saw a player trivilize all encounters by memorizing where they spawn and the ambushes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X36huiZHrSM&ab_channel=sintee], this is just not good design.

I dont mind if you get an advantage by scouting beforehand, but the advantage shouldn't be this massive that you are one shotting mobs left and right, two turning encounter - its exactly the DOS2 feel that makes me nauseous. It kills replayability and any form of alternative strategies/approaches.

Last edited by Cyka; 02/11/20 03:51 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
I killed them twice without the use of barrels. Speed potion on Lae'zel and invisibility on your mage does the trick usually.

Gonna try to solo them with a mage soon actually, only with spells. Will tell you later how it went.

Last edited by Nyanko; 02/11/20 04:02 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
I did the fight twice (at level 4), both times without wiping.

The 1st time I went into it blind with PC lock, laezel, shadowheart and gale.
All party members were downstairs and I basically got jumped on. But I managed to win. Shadowheart being able to res with healing word as a bonus action was a major help and so was Laezel using menacing strike and a speed potion.

The 2nd time, I knew what was coming so I kept my party (PC dex Ranger, Astarion and Wyll) hiding, while I sent Laezel on her own to initiate dialogue and combat. It was an easier fight as I could a free shot in with all my other companions which basically removed one of the Gith out of combat. Moreover having the guys upstairs allowed me to shove on of the Gith of the construction for some extra damage. Once again menacing strike and speed potions are amazing in this combat. You can get up to 3 menacing strikes and thus chances to frighten some in the 1st round with action surge. Laezel is tanky enough to get them off.

The fight belongs to the more difficult fights of EA, but is far from impossible nor does it require cheese of meta knowledge. I assume the fight is intended to do at the end of 1st act so being level 4 (or even 5) is not unexpected.

And iirc, there is a thiefling who warns you of the Gith and recommends you of staying away from them. So there is some form of warning.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
The encounter is not impossible. Challenging, yes - impossible - not by a long shot. You want a hard encounter? Let me introduce you to a certain hag...

Also for the Gith encounter, it (like many encounters) depends on your level as well.

@Larian please don't nerf challenge. Difficulty slider, yes... nerfing challenging encounters - no.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I feel like the point is being missed. It doesn't matter if there are warnings. There a million times in a game where players are warned against doing things- even staying alive (Fuck you, Nettie). There are multiple fights that are above the level and capability of players at there level with their current armor and weapons. It isn't fun. If you have to have the right party, be in the right place, and get the right rolls to survive the first round it's not a good fight. Also, it is in the game for us to encounter. Saying we should stay away from it seems like a silly things to say. Experience the game, but not that part!

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by GoldenSphinx
I feel like the point is being missed. It doesn't matter if there are warnings. There a million times in a game where players are warned against doing things- even staying alive (Fuck you, Nettie). There are multiple fights that are above the level and capability of players at there level with their current armor and weapons. It isn't fun. If you have to have the right party, be in the right place, and get the right rolls to survive the first round it's not a good fight. Also, it is in the game for us to encounter. Saying we should stay away from it seems like a silly things to say. Experience the game, but not that part!

Don't just assume everyone agrees with you. Because I for one - do not. I like challenging fights that force me to come up with different approaches.

R
old hand
old hand
R

Combat is intended for characters on level 5, once you reach this level the fight will be ridiculously easy.

T
stranger
stranger
T

Steamrolling or not having a challenge at all isn't fun for others either. I did 2 playthroughs of EA and while there were some difficult fights (which I enjoyed) none of them were impossible at the level I attempted them.

If you attempt the fight at a level where you are too low, it should be hard or even impossible without cheese but that doesn't mean it's bad game design. If they balance all fights in EA for a party of level 3 characters, I would be bored because the game showers you with XP. A fight with level 5 oppenents shouldn't be attempted with a party of level 3s.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

Combat is intended for characters on level 5, once you reach this level the fight will be ridiculously easy.

The levels are capped at four, currently.

stranger
stranger
Running into fights that are above your paygrade would be fine if you could... disengage from them. I know the githyanki specifically are a rough one to think we could escape from, but take the minotaurs in the underdark. I'd love the ability to stealth out of a difficult situation if I fucked up rather than reloading, even if it costs me a revive scroll or two.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by xxAres
Running into fights that are above your paygrade would be fine if you could... disengage from them. I know the githyanki specifically are a rough one to think we could escape from, but take the minotaurs in the underdark. I'd love the ability to stealth out of a difficult situation if I fucked up rather than reloading, even if it costs me a revive scroll or two.

Fun fact, the Githyanki's encounter is pretty easy to escape from because the Gith do no follow you outside the guard towers and after a while you get out of combat.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I don’t mind some fights that point out that you are in over your head in a particular area. BUT I do find that some Level-appropriate battles are just too grind-y and long, and if you die at the end of one because of some unlucky check it’s super annoying. If I have two hours to play I don’t want to spend 25% of that time on one battle. I’d rather see the availability of a difficulty setting so I can still enjoy the story and battles etc but not become frustrated with the slow progress, and potentially up the difficulty when I have more time to spend, etc.

Also, To Fisher who said the OP should “git gud”, the “git gud” thing is really tiresome, please stop. Why be condescending? Just do your thing and let others do theirs unjudged by you.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
As a LONG time D&D player, I knew right away that Lae'zel was at best a naive newbie or at worst a liar. The Githyanki are a chaotic evil race who's leaders made a pact with TIAMAT to have red dragons to ride. When she said her people could help, I immediately knew it was going to be a lot of fighting, and I believe that when she says "purification" she thinks it means a cure, when it's more likely to be a fire or a blade. I thought that encounter was spot on. super arrogant leader who's insulting and immediately leaves when the fight is about to start. BTW, my dialogue choices did not lead to a fight, (after save scumming because they kicked my ass every time). Not sure if that's the best option though.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard