Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Beside IP / Loyalty issues, what would be your interest in replaying the original story Baldur's Gate with BG3 game engine?

Some reasons I believe it's doable :

- Story/characters/dialogues are already done = much less work (but ofc, it is assuming that the remake will stick to old dialogue system, without being upgraded to BG3 level)

- Geographically, BG 1 is set in Sword Coast, covered by this BG3, I think many graphic assets already available can be reused. Especially if the city of Baldur's Gate 3 is as faithful to the source material as BG1 was...

- Rules/Engine : obviously same as BG3, (that could mean some changes in character stats, combat encounters might be necessary)

I have no doubt there are talented MOD community who would make wonderful job, but it's a delightful dream that someday, after BG3 release, Larian will remake it by themselves, or give their engine license to Beamdog.

Last edited by Lumign; 02/11/20 10:45 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
thats a neat idea.
This has already been done in NWN2 but ive never tried it out if its any good.

Note however that, especialy BG1 s but also BG2s encounter desing would probably turn out realy tedious in BG3

addict
addict
A good remake would be very impressive, but I personally don't have any need for that - the original games are perfectly playable and fun. Also not a fan of how Beamdog went about the EEs.

Tbh I'd prefer Larian to direct resources to adventure module adaptations. I'm not a tabletop player and I'd love to be able to play the modules in the video game format.

veteran
veteran
When you say Remake, what do you mean? If you mean just take everything in BG and put it in the new engine, I highly doubt it would be better than the original. The painted backgrounds of BG still looks better great and will probably remain good looking while the 3d graphics of such remake would look very dated ten years from now.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Abits
When you say Remake, what do you mean? If you mean just take everything in BG and put it in the new engine, I highly doubt it would be better than the original. The painted backgrounds of BG still looks better great and will probably remain good looking while the 3d graphics of such remake would look very dated ten years from now.

I recently replayed BG1 EE and frankly, it could be better graphically.

- the original game was made when 640x400 was not uncommon and it shows on my QHD monitor... (too pixelized or too small to be enjoyable)
- BG3 is gorgeous, and has very similar "colors" as original BG. (because after all, they both take in the same place : Sword Coast)

A little off topic, but I saw some new AI tech, which draws 3D models out of 2D pictures. If they apply that tech with some handworks for details... smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
A good remake would be very impressive, but I personally don't have any need for that - the original games are perfectly playable and fun. Also not a fan of how Beamdog went about the EEs.

Tbh I'd prefer Larian to direct resources to adventure module adaptations. I'm not a tabletop player and I'd love to be able to play the modules in the video game format.

I think he was on about fan remakes.

Love and sausages xx
veteran
veteran
I don't know... I saw the nwn2 remake of bg2 but I always prefer to play the original. Perhaps its just because every time I think of nwn2 my computer crashes but who knows.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0

I was referring to this part:

Originally Posted by Lumign
it's a delightful dream that someday, after BG3 release, Larian will remake it by themselves, or give their engine license to Beamdog

I likely wouldn't play fan remakes, but it would be fun to follow such projects.

veteran
veteran
I highly doubt Larian can make it any better than it already is. Perhaps the first game but it is really a long shot

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

No I wasn't. :p

old hand
old hand
I would love that, and I would pay for it.

veteran
veteran
Like I said, there is nothing Larian can do to make it better than it already is. Perhaps dubbing everything, but even that is doubtful.

journeyman
journeyman
I have played the BG1 and IWD remakes in the NWN2 engine and they were both enjoyable - in the case of the latter, downright excellent. I am sure I would enjoy a well-done adaptation of BG2 in BG3's engine as well.

old hand
old hand
Like I said, there is nothing Larian can do to make it better than it already is. Perhaps dubbing everything, but even that is doubtful.

For a lot of modern gamers, who didn't play the Infinity Engine games back when they were new, the graphics, interface, and archaic 2nd Edition mechanics are big turn-offs. The game has a great story, but a lot of people will never see that story because they don't want to play something that looks and feels ancient.

I've watched a fair number of streamers completely bounce off of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, because it's simply not modern enough.

So a remake in this engine could be very appealing to a lot of people.

stranger
stranger
Because most of the story would probably be the same, I would pass due to the turn-based combat.

Last edited by IanTheWizard; 03/11/20 05:19 AM.
veteran
veteran
BG1 and BG3 are such different games, that I don't really see a point for it. Pretty much all that makes BG3 would need to be cut to make BG1 world and quest design work.

journeyman
journeyman
I would be interessed but I don't think it's doable

I'd definitely buy it. Tried playing EE but had to confess gaming has come a long way since...

TBH I also consider NWN quite unplayable (adding to the fact I've never found it a worthy succesor to BG)

veteran
veteran
I get you guys are saying about gamers that are turned down by the og games. I'll say it like this - I have nothing against the idea of remake, but I think that I personally have nothing to gain from it. That's why I would prefer to see a new game

Last edited by Abits; 02/11/20 01:45 PM.

old hand
old hand
I get you guys are saying about gamers that are turned down by the og games. I'll say it like this - I have nothing against the idea of remake, but I think that I personally have nothing to gain from it. That's why I would prefer to see a new game

That makes sense.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard