Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rob Anybody
I think part of the problem with warlocks right now is there's just no incentive to only do a short rest when you can do a long rest instead and regain all your seplls and abilities for everyone. So the warlock gets all the drawbacks of having so few spell slots, but don't really gain any benefit from being able to get them back on a short rest.

Definitely big part of the issue.

I hope down the road in release they will offer at least 3 short rests for 1 long one to let short rest dependent classes their spotlight opportunity.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I think the answer is tank, with his extra hp from his pact + plus the cold armor, plus the fire reaction, his job is just to run into the middle of the fight, keep his armor up and eat apples. Granted this is probably not true in 5e, but in BG3 DnD lite it seems to be.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Originally Posted by Rob Anybody
I think part of the problem with warlocks right now is there's just no incentive to only do a short rest when you can do a long rest instead and regain all your seplls and abilities for everyone. So the warlock gets all the drawbacks of having so few spell slots, but don't really gain any benefit from being able to get them back on a short rest.

Definitely big part of the issue.

I hope down the road in release they will offer at least 3 short rests for 1 long one to let short rest dependent classes their spotlight opportunity.

Why three? Two short rests per long rest is core rules D&D (or, strictly speaking, two short rests and one long rest every 24 hours).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Wyll or warlock you use as eldritch blast pusher with hex. Warlocks are multitools with 1 main tool and some gimmicky other tools.
Eldritch Blast with push effect can deal some nice fall damage. It lacks serieus spells, but cantrips are the tools of the trade.

Either go +2 charisma or pick wizard spells and cantrip feat (firebolt and MM with the MM necklace and int headband)

stranger
stranger
In 5e, Warlocks can also deliver Eldritch Blast (effects/damage) through Weapons like Glaives and such. I'd suspect that LS will eventually add that in, I can hope...

Though Eldritch Blast, by level 5, will be doing 3d6 plus Cha to damage every hit so their damage does scale well IMO.

“When drinking poison, lick the bowl."---Yoritomo Tarao, Small Enlightenment's by Nancy Sauer
M
stranger
stranger
M
Although Warlock is pretty much the fighter amongst casting classes, it has one very important perk;
Free knockback on EB. This is not to be deminished or taken lightly in the slightest.

I believe I ran Misty Step, Scorching Ray/Shatter and Invisiblity on mine next to the mandatory EB+Hex,

Warlocks are simple builds, often described as one of the dip classes, But repelling blast is so freaking good in this game. I do not care how hard a ranger or a fighter hits when I can throw everything off of anything.
The mage tower robot in the underdark? Yeeet
The Green Hag? Yeeet
Queen Phase Spider? Yeeet
And there is more yeeting to be done.

I don't entirely agree with the criticism that they're that bad raw damagewise and I find the 'your just a heavy crossbow with a few spellslots more' argument grossly thick.
With the right evocations and hex etc a warlock hits for 1d10+CHA+1d6 damage. This is pretty solid but not shocking.
It hits better than the cleric and better than an average wizard. the only class hitting higher would most likely be a ranger, or a fighter, which in turn can be argued; what exactly makes a ranger or a fighter more interesting than a Warlock both are vanilla combat classes? I've played all of them and they were allright,
Although I did like the Warlock best because of the better Charisma stat which helps with NPC Dialogue/trading etc.

All in all, Warlock always has been kinda meh, but from a 5e perspective, it;s a charisma character with some combat prowess. Kinda linear, not very complex. But can be made lots and lots of fun in the right hands.
As with any character or class really.

addict
addict
You got repelling blast to do fall damage?

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I cannot fathom, for the life of me, what Warlocks are for, or how to use them. I couldn't figure them out in NWN2, or in 3.5 to begin with, and I still just don't get them. What do they do?
Wyll is.. kind of sucky as a Wizard, kind of sucky as an archer, kind of sucky as a melee combatant. I must be doing it wrong, what is it?

Warlocks are a bit nerfed currently in BG3, because of the unlimited Long Rests, and limited Short Rests.

Things that makes warlock interesting:

Eldritch Blast This is the best damage cantrip in DnD 5s, and only available to Warlocks.
Not only is the base damage on this cantrip very high, Warlocks get the ability to improve it with Eldritch Invocations.
You can pick two Invocations on lvl 2. My personal favorites are Agonizing blast and Repelling Blast. Giving your Eldritch blast a +CHA modifier to your damage roll, and you get a 10ft push back on the blast.

This honestly is your main source of damage through the game.

Spell Slots
Warlock has a very different spell system to that of Wizards and Sorcerers. Like the Sorcerer you pick your known spells on level up, but all your spells are always cast on your highest spell level.
Warlock also get's their spell slots back on a short rest, unlike other spell casters. As a balance you tend to have very few spell slots. This is why I say Warlock is nerfed in BG3, since all classes have this feature with how long rests have no limiting factors, but short rest is only once per long rest.

Hex
Hex is a core spell for Warlocks, it adds 1d6 necrotic damage to all your damage rolls. This is a concentration spell that in 5e lasts 8 hours, and in BG3 lasts until your long rest. You can keep casting it as long as you maintain concentration as a bonus action. It works very well with spells like Scorching Ray, which does three attacks.

Your spell slots is usually best used to get Hex up and running, and then on either utility spells, or comboing Hex with a multiple damage roll spell like Scorching Ray.

Pact
It doesn't seem like these are fully implemented yet. I have usually gone Packt of the Chain which gives you access to find familiar, with an expanded list of familiars only available to Warlocks

Other Worldly Patron
This is more or less your sub class, and gives you an interesting expanded spell list, as well as some other features. Doesn't seem to be fully implemented yet

Armor Proficiency
The Warlock is also proficient with light armor. Which is better than the Wizard's "nothing". Now one of the Invocations you can take is a once per long rest Mage Armor, if you so please, which is a good alternative to wearing light armor. But keep in mind that once you have Studded Leather +1 you no longer really need the mage armor, so I prefer to go with Repelling Blast. Especially in BG3 Early access where you can get Studded leather armor pretty early.

One Ability focus
The only ability you really want to max out is Charisma. This is because of Agonizing Blast. Having 20 in charisma means +5 on each of your Eldritch Blast damage rolls.
Beyond that you watn high Constitution to pass more concentration checks to maintain Hex, and dexterity to get a higher AC together with your Light Armor.

I find the Warlock to be a fun class in BG3, mostly because repelling blast has a lot of synergy with the mulit leveled design of the game, and feels really impactful when used.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Kolat
In 5e, Warlocks can also deliver Eldritch Blast (effects/damage) through Weapons like Glaives and such.

Eh? No they can't, that was in 3.5.

In 5e you can get a Pact of the Blade pact gift, instead of the familiar, but that is completely independent (and mechanically inferior to using) Eldritch Blast.

Though Eldritch Blast, by level 5, will be doing 3d6 plus Cha to damage every hit so their damage does scale well IMO.

At level 5 Eldritch Blast (with agonising blast) should do 1d10+CHA bonus. But it should fire twice.

The one blast for 3d6 at level 5 (actually 1/2 your level round up) was from the 3.5 version rules. You can find them in NWN2.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 03/11/20 01:59 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
You got repelling blast to do fall damage?

if you push someone down a ledge than yes, and there are alot of ledges

S
stranger
stranger
S
Warlock actually feels quite powerful. They make an incredible party face due to innate CHA focus, and the Imp summon can both fly and has invisibility, making it the best scout in the entire game.

How to build a Warlock centers on their main cantrip, Eldritch blast. Just like in tabletop, you will cast this every single turn. There are two perks that improve this cantrip, one for damage, one for knockback. Taking both of these is very worthwhile as a powerful baseline for your character.

The other main spell you want to take is Hex. Hex improves your damage of your Eldritch Blast and has two important things that make it efficient. The first is that casting it is a bonus action, not a regular action, so you Hex your target and simply blast them. The second it that you can re-cast Hex for free as long as you don't lose concentration. So for this single spell slot you are getting an enormous amount of damage.

The nice thing about Warlock is that since damage is already covered by such a powerful cantrip, your other spells don't need to be damage-related at all. I really recommend Misty Step and Invisibility. Misty Step lets you escape or instantly position yourself on high ground, while Invisibility has incredible utility out of combat.

apprentice
apprentice
Taking the medium armor feat is not a bad idead for Wyll. I have done it, raised his DEX to 14, equipped him with the +1 medium armor available at the sylvanus grove, added a shield to his equipment and he ends up with an AC of 18 or 19.
While eldritch Blast is a reliable source of damage, warlocks are just one trick ponies with just two spell slots. I find Gale much more versatile and he can't cast spells forever as there are so many scrolls to find and buy in this game.
On top of that Gale (or any Wizard) could take the Adept Warlock feat at level four and thus include Hex in his armament of spells. Ray of Frost (cantrip) with Hex deals 1D12 + 1D6 damage and you still have the flexilibility of a wizard.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Oh...hex with magic missile? with the overpowered necklace that buffs magic missile? each missile does 2d4 + 1d6 and auto hits? I missed out on the Adept Warlock trick, good thinking.

A
addict
addict
A
Does anyone know how to put back the toggle for the repelling blast back on the quickbar? I chose the repelling blast for Wyll on his 2nd level and a toggle appeared on the right side of the quickbar. But upon levelling up again, this toggle disappeared and all of his eldritch blasts count count as repelling now, which is very annoying.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Does anyone know how to put back the toggle for the repelling blast back on the quickbar? I chose the repelling blast for Wyll on his 2nd level and a toggle appeared on the right side of the quickbar. But upon levelling up again, this toggle disappeared and all of his eldritch blasts count count as repelling now, which is very annoying.

Have you tried reloading the game?

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by DM_Judas

Have you tried reloading the game?

I've reloaded few times. I think at this point I'll just wait for the next patch, because now Wyll's dialogue is not triggering properly. I coukd deal with the combat, but if his interactions are also bugged that's just disappointing.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by whalesecrets
I think the answer is tank, with his extra hp from his pact + plus the cold armor, plus the fire reaction, his job is just to run into the middle of the fight, keep his armor up and eat apples. Granted this is probably not true in 5e, but in BG3 DnD lite it seems to be.

Do the pact bonus HPs and the cold armor ones stack, I wonder?

T
T
Warlock, while very powerful, I find is just too boring. Eldritch Blasting all day long just doesn't do it for me. In addition for Baldur's Gate 3 . . . since we already have a tadpole and all that relates to . . . I don't need to be dealing with being beholden to another otherworldly being😉. And Wyll is my least favorite of the companions . . . his personality and backstory doesn't interest me much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard