Print Thread
#726148 02/11/20 05:55 PM
M
Maxxrox Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Please ensure that successful perception checks clearly indicate what you've discovered visually, as well as generating a log entry (clicking should center camera/highlight object, plus contain brief text).

If the current implementation were ported to a tabletop session:

[DM] Roll perception!

[Player] Look like, uhh.. a 17.

[DM] You've successfully passed your perception check.

[Player] Great! What do I see?

[DM] Ain't gonna tell ya.

[Player] Ah. Okay?

Last edited by Maxxrox; 02/11/20 05:56 PM.
It bugs me when people talk about these perception checks and say they're passive perception checks. They're not. If they were, there would be no check, you would just notice it.

My little peeve aside, everyone pretty much agrees that whatever you successfully perceived should be more noticeable.

M
Maxxrox Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
They're passive.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ability%20Scores#toc_8

Edit: Okay, I see your point - wouldn't require a roll if it were 5E passive. Still, I'm not searching; if I walk by and the check occurs without my intervention, it's passive. Tabletop simply does the set value to not alert players (which BG3 does when you do a perception check anyway).

Last edited by Maxxrox; 02/11/20 09:01 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by dreambled
It bugs me when people talk about these perception checks and say they're passive perception checks. They're not. If they were, there would be no check, you would just notice it.

My little peeve aside, everyone pretty much agrees that whatever you successfully perceived should be more noticeable.

Agreed!

old hand
old hand
Makes me think of one of those ridiculously smug DMs that like to throw everything back at the player.

"Okay, what do I see?"

"I don't know, what DOOO you see?"

journeyman
journeyman
I wish they happened more often. I like walking past something and getting a role to notice it. I do agree though, I wish there was some narration beyond the character saying 'oh I see something'.

Link Copied to Clipboard