Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
enthusiast
for me, not especially. At least, not if the gameplay was like BG3 is now, OG gameplay felt less clunky. Maybe if they sort out the UI and tighten things up so it plays more smoothly, i'd be down for it. I do like fan remakes when done well, looking forward to Skywind for example.

Thing is, a remake of BG using this engine or even the solasta engine would need to make use of verticality and stuff, which would mean changing up the games anyway - so yeah if they got overhauls to the environments to make use of those features, i guess that would be a reason to play them.

R
R
I would rather see 5e modules adapted in this engine as the first set of official content post launch.

addict
addict
The originals look good and are functional.

BG3 engine is too limited to handle all the complexity of the originals.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
A remake from Larian? No thanks, they still haven't proven themselves as the stewards of BG3. A remake of the original games with this engine's atrocious controls, camera, and UI sounds like a nightmare to me. Then there's tons of dialogue and I doubt they would pay for that all be voiced and have performance capture. I don't see this as even a remote possibility. Even if it does happen, I'd rather a company like Obsidian be responsible and see if they can drag the BioWare doctors out of retirement to help produce it.

Last edited by KingNothing69; 02/11/20 05:40 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
to be honest, we dont need remakes of bg and bg2. they're perfect the way they are.

veteran
veteran
Of course. I would pay a FAT amount of money to play any barely competent remake of BG 1 and 2 (2 in particular) that could rid me of the low resolution and low framerate of the original.

And yes, I would love it made with the BG3 engine, character models and turn-based combat... As long as we don't borrow the control scheme too.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Actually, I really don't want a remake of BG 1+2. I'd rather they just make something new.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'd certainly buy a copy, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Actually, I really don't want a remake of BG 1+2. I'd rather they just make something new.

Persuasion success. The dice favours me this day

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
I'd rather they just make something new.

I really don't see the point of this type of argument.
People are making "something new" all the times. How someone else working on a remake would be a problem, exactly?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'd rather they just make something new.

I really don't see the point of this type of argument.
People are making "something new" all the times. How someone else working on a remake would be a problem, exactly?

I explained it, but Larian working on remake means Larian is not working on dos3/bg4/whatever crazy cool idea they might have in the future.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits

I explained it, but Larian working on remake means Larian is not working on dos3/bg4/whatever crazy cool idea they might have in the future.

I didn't read anything in the OP asking specifically about LARIAN being the one making it.

But even if that was the case, Larian is currently a studio counting hundreds of employees. I'm sure they could part people between projects as they wanted and even make new hires, if needed.

old hand
old hand
I think anyone trying to remake any very old and very beloved games is treading in perilous waters. They almost certainly will not get it just right, to please the fans of the original. My favorite game is Planescape: Torment, and I do NOT want anyone to try to remake it. They will fuck it up and break my heart. I feel like a lot of Baldur's Gate fans would feel the same.

veteran
veteran

I didn't read anything in the OP asking specifically about LARIAN being the one making it.

But even if that was the case, Larian is currently a studio counting hundreds of employees. I'm sure they could part people between projects as they wanted and even make new hires, if needed.

That's true. But why though? I think remaking Baldur's Gate needs a better reason than new graphics.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Better graphics and a newer version of D&D would sell me. AD&D was too restrictive for my usual character concepts. 5e is better, but I'd love to have BG remade using a different system. Same setting and companions, but not (A)D&D.

Heretical, I know, but the joys of BG for me were the setting and personalities rather than the game system.

Last edited by Sadurian; 02/11/20 06:33 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think remaking Baldur's Gate needs a better reason than new graphics.

Eh, that's literally all i want from it.
I never valued BG's writing too much. I think people who keep praising it as a masterclass in narrative are frankly delusional, nostalgic or have incredibly low standards.
There are tidbits of BG3 that are already better than most of what BG1 or 2 ever offered, in that sense.

But as a gameplay experience? I would still enjoy it immensely, especially going past its current technical limitations and with a superior turn-based battle system.

Last edited by Tuco; 02/11/20 06:46 PM.

old hand
old hand

I never valued BG's writing too much. I think people who keep praising it as a masterclass in narrative are frankly delusional, nostalgic or have incredibly low standards.
There are tidbits of BG3 that are already better than most of what BG1 or 2 ever offered, in that sense.

I agree. Look, I LOVED Baldur's Gate when it first came out. I bought it the first day it released, from a store shelf, and I was so thrilled to have it that I was practically shaking as I put the first CD in the drive. For the time, compared to all the D&D video games that came before, it was an absolute triumph, it was god-tier for a D&D fan and a computer RPG fan. It didn't even occur to me to see any flaws in it. It was simply better than everything else up to that point.

But a whole lot of RPGs have come out since then in the same subgenre. And honestly, I like MANY of them more than Baldur's Gate (1+2). There's a lot of silliness in BG. The companions, and some people will want to crucify me for saying this, but I think they're pretty garbage in the original BGs, compared to much less silly, much more realistic and well-developed companions in a great deal of newer RPGs. I don't really need to see Montaron and Xzar, or Tiax, or Xan, or Branwen, or honestly 90% of the others in beautiful new graphics, because those characters are still gonna be deeply un-compelling to me. The story of Baldur's Gate 1+2 was astounding for its time, it revolutionized computer RPGs, it created a whole new subgenre. I admire it deeply as a historical force, and for my memories of how much it thrilled me at the time. But looking at it now, through the lens of someone who has played a dozen or more evolutions from that game, it's just . . . okay. I could re-play the BGs, I guess. It would be . . . fine. But it wouldn't blow me away.

But everyone has that one thing that they love the most. BG fans love BG, to them it's the pinnacle. For me it's Planescape: Torment, and I can't even comprehend how anyone could think BG 1+2 is better than that game. But I understand that to them, the exact opposite is true. And that's perfectly valid. And those real die hard BG lovers would hate me for saying this, but I think that BG3, even in it's current state as a rough, unfinished, broken FRAGMENT of a game, is still vastly better than the originals. I know, it's blasphemy. But it's how I feel.

K
K
I'm not sure. I have the enhanced editions and have not tried them yet. But not sure what areas would really need to be brought up to speed with a new engine. Other than some possible graphical updates. I'm not sure what would really be worth the trouble of a remake. (older direct X games being compatible as an issue with older games aside) not sure what would be the impetus here.
BG series was my introduction to real computer gaming and D&D, so there is a certain fondness like many have already expressed. The old character portraits kinda look like the characters are airbrushed af, but that's an asthetic preference.

Loved the party controls on BG2. being able to change formation, click on minimaps and grab a clutch of characters only was nice. Would be nice to see that again.

@firesnakearies I hear what you mean, by it being great for its time. I don't know of any other games which had the level of character background and exploration at the time. But, I don't see too much wrong with the characters being somewhat silly. Planescape Torment was great. I ate up all the Black Isles games, even IWD though that was more combat than story.

old hand
old hand
I loved the IWD games more than the BG games. And people say they didn't have story, they were just about combat, but I disagree. I liked the stories in IWD.

C
C
Definitely not by Larian. I'm sure they would do to it what they are doing to 3

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard