Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'd be very interested. The old game exists and nothing can threaten that for those who prefer it. But a remake in this engine would be amazing.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Durlags Tower done by Larian? If you haven't considered this yet...
Nashkel mines in one map?
Maps with little on it but are still worth every pixel?
Edwin -> Edwina transformation in 3D?
Pathfinding....well...it sure is "authentic" already
comes on 7 external HD

Alone the combat we are getting now would be worth it, as unrefined and prone to cheese it may be right now.

BG1 maps translated into the BG3 engine would finally show the elevation in some maps and since there are fewer trees on fire and its always autumn, I'm sure it would look great during the day and night smile

It would also put resting back in order and add 3 times the companions.

Regardless of what anyone says here, we'd all play it, for science if not for fun.

BG3 still has lots of things to add to get the same wholeness Baldur's Gate has

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I loved the IWD games more than the BG games. And people say they didn't have story, they were just about combat, but I disagree. I liked the stories in IWD.

Some maps should be printed and hung on a wall they are that beautiful, BG doesn't come close

You give the characters in BG1 not enough credit I think, maybe you have never had Branwen in your Party, Kivan isn't all too funny either and aside from Khalid (silly in BG1, resolved in 2) Jaheira isn't silly either. Kagain, Faldorn, Shar-teel and Quayle (ok, maybe silly for you)...

I mean, some of them basically don't speak so you can't go much wrong wink

Last edited by Tuv; 02/11/20 08:47 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CamKitty
Definitely not by Larian. I'm sure they would do to it what they are doing to 3

You mean make it awesome?

veteran
veteran
Too soon to tell. If BG3 will be the awesome game it could be perhaps a remake is not such a bad idea. but, once again, we'll have to wait and see

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Honestly, if you wanted to "remake" the BG 1 and 2 games, you'd be better off using Obsidians Pillars of Eternity approach.

It's far closer to matching the mechanics and art style and those guys tried to model their game off the original BG games as closely as possible.

I don't think BG3's engine would be a great match for those games TBH

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Quietwulf
Honestly, if you wanted to "remake" the BG 1 and 2 games, you'd be better off using Obsidians Pillars of Eternity approach.

It's far closer to matching the mechanics and art style and those guys tried to model their game off the original BG games as closely as possible.

I don't think BG3's engine would be a great match for those games TBH

I tried Pillars of Eternity. And I didn't like it much, at all :
1. Rules hablve evolved too far from DnD, it took me quite some time to readjust...
2. What's weird is that, in fact their system makes more sense, and is more adapted to real time combat too, but yet ultimately I hated it...
3. Finally, real time combat? No thx, the turn based combat with radial movement (no hexagon/square) FTW.

L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I loved the IWD games more than the BG games. And people say they didn't have story, they were just about combat, but I disagree. I liked the stories in IWD.

Totally, they were awesome.

I especially loved when my paladin could see through the disguise of the villains by using detect evil ability as dialogue option!!!

old hand
old hand
Yeah that's cool.

apprentice
apprentice
Irrelavent and should be removed from forum. They will not make an entirely new game engine. This is the engine they are working with. Keep your feedback to how they can fix the game within the possibilities of the engine in use.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dreygor6091
Irrelavent and should be removed from forum. They will not make an entirely new game engine. This is the engine they are working with. Keep your feedback to how they can fix the game within the possibilities of the engine in use.

Mh? You sound confused.

1. This is not the "Suggestions and feedback" subforum. This is the "general" section dedicated to BG3. Which means anything vaguely related to the game goes.
2. No one was asking for a "new engine". On the contrary, the question was specifically if people could have any interest in a remake of the previous games using this engine.
3. This thread doesn't violate a single rule nor it's particularly out of place here, so not sure why it should be "removed from this forum".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would no sooner play a remake of BG1/BG2 than I would watch a remake of Casablanca or Wizard of Oz (note I said remake, not reinterpretation). There is absolutely NO reason to tamper with perfection.

Originally Posted by Anfindel
I would no sooner play a remake of BG1/BG2 than I would watch a remake of Casablanca or Wizard of Oz (note I said remake, not reinterpretation). There is absolutely NO reason to tamper with perfection.

Why? The old games haven't aged well and you can't even run the originals on newer machines - your eyes will bleed out. Plus, you already have one remake which is the Enhanced Edition by Beamdog.

I'd love the remake, but it will probably be a modded one, similar to all those attempts to recreate Baldur's Gate over the years first as Neverwinter Nights modules, then then Neverwinter Nights 2, and then Dragon Age Origins.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
apprentice
apprentice
Games like Pillars of Eternity basically an updated version of the infinity engine, which was the engine used for the orginal BG games. So to answer your question, there are games made exactly the way the old BG games were.

Last edited by Dreygor6091; 03/11/20 04:14 AM.
veteran
veteran
Actually, a Poe engine remake sounds great, provided they'll make this engine more stable. Right now this engine has terrible performance

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
The second game more closely follows Bioware's modern "blockbuster formula", therefore a "modernized" remake likely wouldn't butcher that much. The first game however would be stripped off its wilderness and downtimes as the majority finds that "boring". Perhaps unless it were remade by Warhorse Studios, who risked "boring" audiences with their landscape / encounter design in Kingdom COme Deliverance just the same, and in turn created one of the most authentic game worlds of this generation rather than a theme park.

Another question is whether Larian's engine supports map design like the originals'. BG3's EA is a pretty compressed affair. There are no open fields as such, you're lead along paths from druid groves to goblin camps to ruins to the Underdark -- with all of those being pretty much right next to one another. I'm curious how Larian's version of the titular city will look like in comparison to the original anyway once we get there.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why/ Because it would no longer be BG1/2. It would be BG 1 & 2 played on a BG 3 engine, or an NWN engine or a DoS. And enhanced edition is NOT a remake. It is still the same BG plot, characters, U/I, gear, classes and so on - and still essentially the same engine, just tweaked to run on modern machines with some additional content tosses in - prequel and sequel material, offered up in the same format. As for them not aging well, they look fine to me. I'll take a '54 vette any day of the week.
Originally Posted by Arideya

Why? The old games haven't aged well and you can't even run the originals on newer machines - your eyes will bleed out. Plus, you already have one remake which is the Enhanced Edition by Beamdog.

I'd love the remake, but it will probably be a modded one, similar to all those attempts to recreate Baldur's Gate over the years first as Neverwinter Nights modules, then then Neverwinter Nights 2, and then Dragon Age Origins.

Why/ Because it would no longer be BG1/2. It would be BG 1 & 2 played on a BG 3 engine, or an NWN engine or a DoS engine. And enhanced edition is NOT a remake. It is still the same BG plot, characters, U/I, gear, classes and so on - and still essentially the same engine, just tweaked to run on modern machines with some additional content tosses in - prequel and sequel material, offered up in the same format. As for them not aging well, they look fine to me. I'll take a '54 vette any day of the week.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sven_
The second game more closely follows Bioware's modern "blockbuster formula", .....

That "you're lead along paths from xxxxx to xxxxx to xxxxx to xxxxx" is better to be put in a spoiler tag.

Last edited by IanTheWizard; 03/11/20 09:30 AM.
addict
addict
The old games haven't aged well and you can't even run the originals on newer machines - your eyes will bleed out.

I strongly disagree. They have aged very well. (BG1 a bit less than BG2, but I think it was wonky back in the day too, given how BG2 promptly got rid of the wonkiness.) It's perfectly playable on modern systems and looks very nice with the widescreen mod. My eyes are yet to bleed out - 2D graphics have little problem with aging.

Plus, you already have one remake which is the Enhanced Edition by Beamdog.

That's not a remake, that's a remaster. Huge difference. It's basically the classic version with widescreen mod, some rule changes, some bugfixes, some new bugs and Beamdog's fanfiction.

veteran
veteran
People who played bg1-2 when it came out shouldn't have a say in the question "do you think the game aged well". I mean they can say whatever they want, but they should acknowledge their bias

addict
addict

Aged badly? Really?
To my eyes they still look amazing. The UI is top notch. It controls fast. Story is still engaging.
In general it is usually 3D games, especially their cinematic dialogues that age badly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 03/11/20 11:05 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard