Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So, I kickstarted DoS1 and really enjoyed the game. Never completed it because the bugs stopped me and I haven't had time to finish a run in the definitive version.
Every few levels, I would dive back into my crafting supply stash and re-equip the party with the best gear I could make (based on my preferences).
It was a pain to do, but that elation from building something I wanted to use instead of the randomly found gear kept me going back.

So, I finally found some time to play. A friend and I dove in to DoS2 and have been enjoying the combat and story telling.
We are level 11 and looking for our second source point... and I've got nearly 100 weight of what I thought were crafting ingredients to build my supply.
I have been anxious to find an anvil and such to start crafting awesome gear for us.
I was looking at recipes online and thinking that the sites were abandoned before the curators finished harvesting recipes.

But now, I think that most of the items I grabbed in hopes of crafting are completely useless.
Metal scrap? I think I can make a junk shiv or spear.
Leather scrap? More bags to sort the likely junk I'm carrying.
Ingots? Wait... nope.

So, I think I need to go through an pull out things like metals, feathers and such.
I think I have a stack of 50+ fish bones because I figured they would be used like bones in DoS1... but now, I think they are actually useless.

I'm still wearing a level 5 ring because it has +5 total stats, and the level 11 rings we are finding have about 4x more shield but are at best +2 total stats.

I'm pretty sure I still have my DoS1 Definitive save... I should find that, install and jump in... just so I can make a great weapon.
Not that I would say the enchanting system is great... I mean, I probably spent 1/4 of my DoS1 play time crafting and enchanting.

I realize it doesn't do anything to vent about it.
But I wanted to do it anyway.
Hopefully, if they make a DoS3, they actually make a better crafting system than DoS1.
Likely with less complicated enchanting... like have pixie dust enhance enchants instead of enhance enchanting ingredients?
Also, I understand that steel can't be reverted back to iron (except maybe advanced tech or magic)... but really, a large ingot can't be split back into small ingots again?
But then, coming up with a crafting system is difficult... I've spent years theorizing one, but haven't sat down to actually flesh it out (mainly because I have no where to apply it).

Note: I'm one of those guys that squeezed every drop of enchanter potion and alchemy gear I could in Skyrim.
It was annoying to need to craft so much to level up the skill (though realistic), but the cycle of crafting an enchant potion to enchant better alchemy gear to then brew a better enchant potion to then enchant better alchemy gear was real.
And in a game where supplies are unlimited in some way, it works.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
One type of scrap metal is used for Eternal armor as I recall. Feathers are used in certain scrolls. Leather scraps can be used for leather armor. However, I find that, unlike in 1, the made armor (other then eternal armor) is inferior to the found armor but perhaps equal to the bought armor. If I am correct, you may be out of luck in this aspect of the game. Also, I do not believe all types of crafted things have recipes so one has to experiment. I'd personally rather find all the recipes I need. Can't have everything, though.

Swen has said, regarding crafting, that some people really like it and some really don't like it. To me crafting seems de-emphasized in DOS2 versus DOS1.

In a way I feel that DOS1 has the right balance of crafting: there is are skills (crafting and blacksmithing) that you can invest points into if you wish, when leveling up. And you can create your own powerful weapons and armor, which, as Esperologist says, is an elating experience. Yet the power of crafting is balanced by the fact that you don't have to do it at all.

Having said that DOS1's crafting is more enjoyable for players who want to craft (in my opinion), I must say that I enjoyed DOS2's crafting much more with Larian's "seedling / herb garden" modification. Even if it is overpowered, the mod invited me to try out crafting for the first time. (I completed my first playthrough with no crafting other than arrowheads and arrows.) It is fun to farm for potions!

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard