Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
I love it when people get super technical about D&D stats.

No, I'm serious. Not being sarcastic, I really do love it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by C_Corday
M2 MAchine gun team 50 pound lower receiver, 35 pound barrel, and a 35 pound tripod, plus ammo...

Do they really lug those about? Yikes. It was bad enough doing a stint of having to carry someone's Bren gun for them and that's "only" 25 lbs.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
In 1E AD&D, the basic strength score was 1/10 the amount of weight a person could lift above their head in pounds, i.e., the "military press". That would be 180 pounds lift for a person with 18 strength. However, some people can do more than that and so they added the extra strength percentages for scores between 18 & 19. There is no rationale explicitly stated for these percentages, however there is some indication given by the weight allowance bonus parameter. For a regular 18 strength, the allowance bonus is 75 lbs, whereas for 18/00 strength it is 300 lbs (the 1E tables were actually in units of gold pieces, where 1 gp = 0.1 lb). The ratio is a factor of 4. Therefore, one might extrapolate the military press lift limit to be 4 X 180 = 720 lbs for someone with 18/00 strength. In 1972, the world record for a military press was 236.5kg (520 lbs), set by Vasilily Alekseyev. 520 lbs is not quite the 720 required for 18/00, but it is very close and so Vasilily was somewhere around 18/95, based on the 1E tables and a little windage. This extrapolation technique actually works out about right, should you find it important to know this someday.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena

Per the rules your son has a STR of 25 as he can lift a weight of 750 lbs and Hafthor Bjornsson str would be 36 or 37 as he can lift 1100.

Those are 5th edition stats and they are impractical. According to 5th edition the average person can carry 150 pounds. That means a person with a 10 strength should be able to carry a full combat load (35 pounds), plus all the kit that an airborne trooper carries (about 70 pounds), and even that of a "Ranger" load out (which is generally about 100 pounds of gear). And yet Rangers are constantly training to keep their physical fitness at peak levels (or at least a 15, but more like an 18).

Based on the 15 x ability score, a person who can dead lift 750 pounds has a strength of 50. A bench press of 350 is a Str of 23 for the 5th edition rules.

Lifting an object is 30x your str score in 5e. So 25 can lift 750... Stats per the rules of 5e is what I was getting on about. People who saying everyone's personal stats are epic... not really. According to the rules.

old hand
old hand
Holy crap, 520-pound MILITARY PRESS? That's some straight Hercules shit right there.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Argyle
In 1E AD&D, the basic strength score was 1/10 the amount of weight a person could lift above their head in pounds, i.e., the "military press". That would be 180 pounds lift for a person with 18 strength. However, some people can do more than that and so they added the extra strength percentages for scores between 18 & 19. There is no rationale explicitly stated for these percentages, however there is some indication given by the weight allowance bonus parameter. For a regular 18 strength, the allowance bonus is 75 lbs, whereas for 18/00 strength it is 300 lbs (the 1E tables were actually in units of gold pieces, where 1 gp = 0.1 lb). The ratio is a factor of 4. Therefore, one might extrapolate the military press lift limit to be 4 X 180 = 720 lbs for someone with 18/00 strength. In 1972, the world record for a military press was 236.5kg (520 lbs), set by Vasilily Alekseyev. 520 lbs is not quite the 720 required for 18/00, but it is very close and so Vasilily was somewhere around 18/95, based on the 1E tables and a little windage. This extrapolation technique actually works out about right, should you find it important to know this someday.

This is good info to have. But I guess it all comes down to *which ruleset are you basing your scores off of*

addict
addict
All the rulesets so far seem to claim a basis on 3d6 dice rolls. The individual probabilities of the outcomes of a 3d6 roll are as follows:

Roll Freq Prob
3 1 0.5%
4 3 1.4%
5 6 2.8%
6 10 4.6%
7 15 6.9%
8 21 9.7%
9 25 11.6%
10 27 12.5%
11 27 12.5%
12 25 11.6%
13 21 9.7%
14 15 6.9%
15 10 4.6%
16 6 2.8%
17 3 1.4%
18 1 0.5%

The highest probabilities are in the middle as you would expect, with a mean value of 10.5 that you can't actually roll. A score of 18 means you are in the top 0.5% of the population for that ability. A score of 17 means you are in the top (1.4 + 0.5) = 1.9% of the population, and so on where you add up the probabilities as you go down the list. As I mentioned earlier, the IQ score for intelligence is probably the only other "real" score that has relevance to 3d6 stats. There are many IQ tests, but if you assume the standard test is defined by a mean average IQ of 100 and a standard deviation of 15, then a person with a 115 IQ would be in the top 15.8% of the population. Looking over at the 3d6 table above, that equates to a D&D score of about 14. My guess is that a lot of people on these boards have higher real life INT scores than they might realize.

Also, you can watch Vasilily on Youtube. He is very impressive, and he does not look like He-Man at all.

apprentice
apprentice
Ok based on the comments I have decided to re-roll my Personal Stats based on reality...

18 Str (Have a build that was designed to be powerful and have used it for sports and work my whole life) 6’4” 245lbs can jump high and lift very very heavy.

17 Con (Have never broken a bone and have been ran over by a forklift, Rarely get sick and have ran marathons)

14 Dex (Have burst speed and wonderful reflexes, However the aim can be hit or miss and lack accuracy with throwing games, Great aim with rifle)

13 Int (Have a high enough IQ and can learn quickly but I’m nothing special)

15 Wis (Very keen and good judge of character borderline telepathic, An old soul)

15 Cha (Natural good looks and good sense of humor, people like me)

Hop on my sword while you can Evil! I won’t be as gentle!!

R
stranger
stranger
R
Uhh

I’d figure like,

10 str - meh
8 dex - literally can’t, anything
12 con - don’t get sick, no bad vices
15 int - like a rat in a cheese maze kinda way
16 wis - long life, short time
17 cha - it’s a curse, actually, for an introvert who plays the part of an extrovert.

Tried to go off of proficiency bonuses or where I fall before the next proficiency.

If dex could be like a 2 then...

Last edited by Redacted; 03/11/20 06:34 AM.
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
3 in everything.

I are ooga booga dumb dumb with joint problems.

Ok.. I'll join your group. All we need now is like 800 more 3 stat folks to join and we'll make for an epic encounter. Otherwise I suggest we just sit atop the hill enjoying a picnic while overlooking the battle field as others duke it out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have 3's in all seven stats. Or is that five stats? I'm too dumb to even know how many there actually are. There are rocks with better stats than me.

virion Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I have 3's in all seven stats. Or is that five stats? I'm too dumb to even know how many there actually are. There are rocks with better stats than me.

With all due respect to others, this comment wins the day for me.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Ok.. I'll join your group. All we need now is like 800 more 3 stat folks to join and we'll make for an epic encounter. Otherwise I suggest we just sit atop the hill enjoying a picnic while overlooking the battle field as others duke it out.

I could go for that. I'll bring booze and cheese. We can take bets on how long the others will last, at least if any of us can figure out what odds mean: I'm still not sure.

J'aime le fromage.
S
stranger
stranger
S
funny, used the site to see what I would be:

STR: 12-13 (1): Carries heavy objects for short distances
DEX: 14-15 (2): Can catch or dodge a medium-speed surprise projectile
CON: 10-11 (0): Occasionally contracts mild sicknesses
INT: 16-17 (3): Fairly intelligent, able to understand new tasks quickly
WIS: 12-13 (1): Able to tell when a person is upset
CHA: 10-11 (0): Capable of polite conversation

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

On top of the hill?

Is there an escalator and binoculars?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
M2 Machine gun team 50 pound lower receiver, 35 pound barrel, and a 35 pound tripod, plus ammo...

Do they really lug those about? Yikes. It was bad enough doing a stint of having to carry someone's Bren gun for them and that's "only" 25 lbs.

It depends on the people. If you don't have a tripod, you can not dismount the m2 (which is .50 cal machine gun). we carried the tripod and T&E (Traverse and Elevation) in the back of the humvee, if the humvee becomes disabled then you break the gun down into the lower receiver and barrel one person per piece with at least one cane of ammo (200 rounds).

Most machine guns in an infantry squad are "medium" and .30 cal weigh about 25 pounds. They come with a spare barrel, you swap the barrel every 800 rounds or so. The gunner carries the weapon and a "starter belt" designed for immediate suppressive fire it can be 50 or 100 rounds. If you want you can carry an entire 200 round belt in a special ammo bag. the assistant gunner carries the spare barrel bag, and extra ammo.

the SAW (squad automatic weapon) is a "light machine gun" it weighs 17 pounds, and also has a spare barrel. it is 5.56 (.22 caliber).

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
STR: 11: Can carry ALL GROCERIES in the house at once.
DEX: 12: Skateboarding yes , Basketball no.
CON: 16: Stomach of a goat, never broken a bone. I'M INVINCIBLE!
INT: 14: Can do maths, engineer by trade, no scientist though, took a looong time to finish my Masters, but i did it *see CON & WIS
WIS: 6: I'M INVINCIBLE! (dump stat)
CHA: 15 Generally get along with most people, especially after a few Tequila's, I like to got to parties, chase chickens, do activities.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by whalesecrets
STR: 11: Can carry ALL GROCERIES in the house at once.

Best qualifier in this thread right here.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard