Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by VincentNZ

In the end they still are just regular companions, bar the one you choose. Didn't BG have custom characters as well for multiplayer with a made-up bio? It just appears that someone in the dev team thought this was a good idea, his personal choice and the rest can not or do not want to change it, like someone's pet peeve. Also not much additional work goes into it. It could work well, it just appears cumbersome to design a system this way and poor character writing naturally interferes with this system more.

I think this is the issue. Don't get me wrong, Larian has pretty good writers but this kind of writing is very complex and you need to write many different dialogue lines to accommodate different scenarios and make these lines work with each other. And I think Larian has much to improve in that regard. The biggest problem with Larian is their tendency to just do things because they like them or think they are cool without putting serious thought into how

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by blindhamster
IMO just scrapping them as playable PCs and keeping them as NPCs, then putting a lot more effort into the custom character choices impacting the story/narrative would be a much better way to go. Your race, class, background and tags should impact the game in meaningful ways.

Pretty much. Especially since playing as origin character is character assassination in a way when you think about it. All of origin characters have already pre-defined personalities/alignments/beliefs. Playing as them and putting them in the shoes of PC just doesn't seem right to me. Imagine playing as Lae'zel and making her the most selfless and softest person in the world that likes helping people even though that is not even close to how she is. Being Shadowheart who is completely trustworthy of Lae'zel, agrees with her and is good friends with her. Or playing as Wyll and helping goblins against tieflings even though Wyll would never do such a thing. It's just weird and doesn't work well for me at all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I kinda agree with the most of u on this, guys. When they announced they will be using origin characters, I was not happy about it (as it undermines the character creation aspect of the game that is, for me at least, a major draw of a DnD inspired game).

On the other hand, I am curious to see the background-stories integrated into the narrative for the origin heroes (though I am slightly jealous cause my custom hero will never have the dream scenes and the internal narration the origins pcs will have, like Wyll getting feedback from his patron).

I am really hoping Larian will include a bigger quest line (depending on the background and the race tags like Balduran/Underdark/Planar) that better incorporates the custom heroes into the game world. It would be awesome if we could actually meet people in Baldurs Gate who recognize us and have pre-existing relationships with us.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by spacehamster95

I am really hoping Larian will include a bigger quest line (depending on the background and the race tags like Balduran/Underdark/Planar) that better incorporates the custom heroes into the game world. It would be awesome if we could actually meet people in Baldurs Gate who recognize us and have pre-existing relationships with us.

If they'll restrict the number of possible custom origins into Baldurian/underdark/planer it is more than possible to have a compelling story line for custom characters. But if I had to guess I'd say not a chance. The word "restriction" is a dirty word in Larian studio.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
I´m fine with any mechanics that are different from other CRPGs so I´m willing to give the origin characters an opportunity.

I´m planning to play a custom character first. The option to watch the story unfold in the eyes of one of your companions in later playthroughs I´m sure it will spice up the reruns of the game.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
My issue with them in Divinity is that it felt like you got more of a story if you played the Origin Characters over the Generic one.
This doesn't seem to be an issue in BG3.

I don't really see WHY we should be allowed to play the companions as a main character. It seems a little pointless to me. Which is why I don't really mind that we can. I won't use it, but to each their own.

There is a tradition for premade characters in DnD though, it's done in some modules, but rarely do they have elaborate backstories. Usually it's there for the balance and the stats etc.

But again: I won't use it, so why do I care. It seems they know that custom characters is the main concept here.

I saw someone mention that they'd like personalized quests based on background you choose. I don't think I'd like that, as it would set my characters backstory and personality in a sense. In 5e the backgrounds are mostly there to help you write your backstory, and also give you some suitable bonuses. I'd like it if it gave some conversation options, but not really much beyond that.
I like that "my story" is written though gameplay choices, not by someone at Larian before the game starts.

What I hope Larian don't do is "lock" the companions full story to a playthrough with them. Part of a companions job is to give you a side story that you help that character out with as part of your main quest, and the Main Quest is YOUR story that the companions help you out with.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard