Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cravon
I don't want to Mod BG3, but is there a place to record or see the combat logs? I'd like to see the rolls and information in there because There seems to be a LOT of Critical Misses, which would indicate rolling a 1. If that's the case, I think their D20 random number generator is not seeding correctly or is flat out broken.

Click the little "double arrow" on the right edge of the screen, near the bottom. That will expand the combat log.
There are a few threads about this where people have recorded hundreds to thousands of roles to test this: see e.g., https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717185&page=9

Keep in mind confirmation bias. You probably notice large miss streaks (because you get frustrated) more often than large hit streaks.

F
stranger
stranger
F
As a fanatic map maker is the Divinity 2 map editor compatible with BG3? Can I expect a map editor to be released before the end of Early Acces? I know mod tools most def. aren't according to OP.

Last edited by Flint; 31/10/20 06:41 PM.
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Flint
As a fanatic map maker is the Divinity 2 map editor compatible with BG3? Can I expect a map editor to be released before the end of Early Acces? I know mod tools most def. aren't according to OP.

Norbyte's tools are: you can unpack game data (and repack it if you must, though it's not necessary to get it working in-game), convert from LSF to XML and back to edit data, and convert between GR2 and Collada to edit models. There's some other stuff his stuff does that I haven't looked at, too.

Maps are something I've never previously looked at (well okay, I have, but the last time was either Oblivion or Fallout 3, so hardly relevant here!), so I have absolutely no idea about any of that. I dare say it may be possible to coerce the DOS2 editor to do something but I suspect it might be a rather protracted exercise in frustration. I honestly haven't a clue what might come of it though.

J'aime le fromage.
Mods can open this game up so much.. Neverwinter was popular because of modding, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are household names now because of mods.. Seriously Bethesda even started their own mod area.. Saying mods aren't good for gaming is crazy.

This game could have modded classes, races, modules, maps, you name it, it can thrive with it.

With enough mods DMs could use this as a 3d representation of the tabletop game. like NWN was.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 03/11/20 06:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Amazing stuff going on at the mod nexus. We already have new clothes, some of them made with new models. Right now we have almost 80 mods, which is much more than most of the games on the site. Great things are about to come

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Abits
Amazing stuff going on at the mod nexus. We already have new clothes, some of them made with new models. Right now we have almost 80 mods, which is much more than most of the games on the site. Great things are about to come

Stuff like new models are certainly possible: I've done a few bits and pieces myself, though some of the stuff that's been uploaded is just as-yet-unused models from the game files, so there's a risk that people may see the same stuff appear in the full release and bits of it need fixing. But that's the nature of mods and nobody goes into it with their eyes closed. Well okay, most don't!

I would imagine that the official situation remains unchanged, and there's pretty much no chance that the modding toolkit will make an appearance before the actual release but it'll be worth me checking in periodically to see when mods can be "supported" on the forums.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I just marvel at the possibilities right now. Even if there's not many interesting mods right now, the amount of them just makes me very optimistic about the future.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
I just marvel at the possibilities right now. Even if there's not many interesting mods right now, the amount of them just makes me very optimistic about the future.

I guess that depends on your definition of "interesting" wink

There are at least 4 for must-have mods for me and a bunch of "nice to have but I'm too lazy to integrate them". For EA it's quite impressive actually and I'm definitely looking forward to what the future may bring.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kendaric

I guess that depends on your definition of "interesting" wink

There are at least 4 for must-have mods for me and a bunch of "nice to have but I'm too lazy to integrate them". For EA it's quite impressive actually and I'm definitely looking forward to what the future may bring.

You said it. you should always remember this is an ea wer'e talking about with no support from developers. The hardships of installing certain mods seem like they're not here to stay.

veteran
veteran
I agree that it is too early to say where the modding scene will go for this game. However, for me, mods adding in new clothing or even new classes or races and the like are just superficial fluff. I would need mods that change fundamental characteristics of the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I agree that it is too early to say where the modding scene will go for this game. However, for me, mods adding in new clothing or even new classes or races and the like are just superficial fluff. I would need mods that change fundamental characteristics of the game.

Like quests and story bits?

veteran
veteran

Yes some of that, especially if the "good" side of things ends up weak/lame. But also gameplay and mechanics. Of course my #1 mod would be a RTwP mod, but that I don't hold out much hope for. So beyond that I would want mods for:
Up to six person party
Gathering and moving the party the way most other games do it
Get rid of most environmental elemental effects
No party lock at end of Act 1
A true pause function during exploration (in single-player)
Reduce DC of dialogue skill/ability checks
Get rid of HP bloat of enemies

Oh, and if what I hear is true that Lathander is not among the good gods available in the game for clerics and paladins, I would LOVE a mod adding in Lathander. Paladin of Lathander is my all-time favorite character to play in D&D.

May be some others I can't think of right now.

veteran
veteran

Yes some of that, especially if the "good" side of things ends up weak/lame. But also gameplay and mechanics. Of course my #1 mod would be a RTwP mod, but that I don't hold out much hope for. So beyond that I would want mods for:
Up to six person party

Oh, and if what I hear is true that Lathander is not among the good gods available in the game for clerics and paladins, I would LOVE a mod adding in Lathander. Paladin of Lathander is my all-time favorite character to play in D&D.

You're in luck sir, some of these are already available, so even if it's kinda hard to implement them now, you can bet your ass they'll be available in full release

veteran
veteran

Up to six person party

You're in luck sir, some of these are already available, so even if it's kinda hard to implement them now, you can bet your ass they'll be available in full release

I sure hope so. These would be somewhat the minimum I would need (either as changes made to the game or as mods) to be able to have an enjoyable experience playing the game. That's why I am not a fan of the game right now, but have not walked away from the game either because I remain cautiously hopeful these things will materialize somehow.

addict
addict

Up to six person party

Looking at what has been possible for DOS2, I have to say that I'd guess no-one will do a rtwp makeover. Various claims have been made that DOS2 has a rtwp mod, but I have not found one on either the Steam workshop or Nexus.

The closest I have found is realtime combat in DOS2 Arena Mode. When asked about realtime for the campaign, the modder stated that it would require so much work that it was unlikely to happen. Clearly, some games do attract modders capable and willing to sink extreme amounts of time into makeovers, but there isn't so much evidence of this with Larian.

Mods types I would expect, based on DOS2 examples are :
- User Interface/Control mods ( including party size and maybe organization/movement )
- Data manipulation mods ( that change stats and chances of things happening like HP, DCs, damage )
- Additional classes and character capabilities
- Cosmetic changes

Some of what you want may appear, some not. There seem to be a lot of mods that make DOS2 easier or harder in some way or other; you might find some combination of BG3 mods that allows you to enjoy the game mechanics.

As for good/evil gaming and the existing companions in EA, this is not as clear-cut as in years past. You can certainly BE evil in the game by acting as a complete jerk, and randomly stealing/killing, as you can in many games, but in EA, the good/evil positioning is not always so obvious.

There are a number of "situations", both large and small, where you can choose to support one faction or another. If you like playing traditional paladins, you will probably find it easy to choose; not so much if you are a more neutral sort of player.

The evil companions are also not so obviously evil. Each of the companions takes a position, from heroic through to brutally pragmatic, and they have their own relationships within the world, but their reactions to your choices are not quite the simplistic good/evil you might expect, and I have not found it particularly difficult to have whichever combination I want in the party.

Overall, the EA game-space is interestingly designed, and the story elements are a reasonably complex weave that looks like it will produce an interesting game, provided you can overlook the weakness of some of the 5e rules and combat ( personal opinion, I can't judge if you would share it ).

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
So the modders are already working on BG3.

DnD Rebalancing

I am a bit torn, if you start playing with mods, would that effect the data Larian is seeing?

Mods will effect play so can color feedback so do you need to post what mods you are using when you give feedback?

Also I do not want Larian to become another Bethesda where the attitude is just let Modders fix our games. I want Larian to use the 5e rules and would rather let modders break those.

wierd if i acces the link from these forums, its allright but if accesed ( the mod ) from within nexusmods.com my browser loads @ infinity...strange, i bookmarked the page @ nexus through the link here aparently for me its innacesable from nexusmods...at any rate.

One great thing to mod in would be Guild administration features for established guilds that would like to play. There are not many guilds yet that have decided to add this game to their roster, but when they do come they will do so with many loyal members and they tend to play together for very long periods of time so its a great way for the game to grow it's player base with dependable adventurers (customers in Larian-speak).

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 09/11/20 08:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
Overall, the EA game-space is interestingly designed, and the story elements are a reasonably complex weave that looks like it will produce an interesting game, provided you can overlook the weakness of some of the 5e rules and combat ( personal opinion, I can't judge if you would share it ).

Yes, the availability of mods is what I am now heavily counting on to make the game palatable for me.

The one area of the game that I am very okay with is BG3's deviations from D&D rules. I am 110% with Vincke when he says sometimes you need to deviate from the PnP rules to make the game be interesting and fun to play as a video game. Personally I'd be happy if they deviate from most D&D rules and mechanics, because I don't care for D&D that much anymore. My interest in BG3 is primarily as a Forgotten Realms game and not as a D&D game.

So, um, how does one go about actually installing a mod? I've got a .pak file, where do I put it?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jhelzei
So, um, how does one go about actually installing a mod? I've got a .pak file, where do I put it?

Depends on the mod. Some of them go into the game's data folder, other go to mods folder in your Documents folder. Some require you to edit some files for the mod to work. Where did you get that mod?

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard