Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just a quick question re likelihood of a fourth lvl group beating a 5th lvl. Thinking specifically about the fight with the Githyanki at the bridge. Cant see any way I can beat them given they kill two of my party in the first round every time. Better to gain a lvl and return yeah? TIA

addict
addict
I mean, you're not going to be able to gain a level because EA is currently capped at 4.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

W
veteran
veteran
W
It’s doable, but it takes preparation. I usually just send out my most survivable character with the item (is it boots?) that gives Misty Step. Everybody else hides up on the bridge. Assuming my lone badass can survive the first enemy attacks and teleport up to the bridge the rest of the fight after that is pretty easy.

Last edited by Warlocke; 03/11/20 07:45 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
What is your party compsition? Have you split them and took high ground for casters?

addict
addict
It is definitely beatable. Larian is monitoring these things, though, so if they see too many deaths on that battle, it will be toned down.

journeyman
journeyman
As people have said this encounter is beatable and the major factor is holding the high ground. You can always beef yourself up with potions of speed and oil of sharpness too.

old hand
old hand
The party we need for the rest of the battles: MC, Laezel, Astarion, Shadow Heart
The party we need in the Githyanki patrol event:
[Linked Image]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies! I did try to get high (errr...) but they just followed me up and beat my crew to a bloody pulp regardless. Think I'll explore a bit more and return when I've recruited a few Balrogs. Dont recgonise the dudes in the piccy.....

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
The party we need for the rest of the battles: MC, Laezel, Astarion, Shadow Heart
The party we need in the Githyanki patrol event:
[Linked Image]

+ Alfira

V
stranger
stranger
V
I somehow managed to beat this fight by sheer dumb luck (or possibly because of a bug) the first time I found it. After the first couple of rounds only Astarion was left standing (Gale, Lae’zel and my cleric main character all died). I had him and Gale on the bridge. Gale pushed one of the Gith to their death before he died, then Astarion pushed the other. Then I put Astarion in stealth and slowly chipped away at the remaining ones below. All they did during their turns is yell threats; no attempts to look for the hidden rogue above.

I somehow doubt I could duplicate the surprising win if I tried, but maybe the stealth height advantage thing is worth a shot.

Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Valsharra
I somehow managed to beat this fight by sheer dumb luck (or possibly because of a bug) the first time I found it. After the first couple of rounds only Astarion was left standing (Gale, Lae’zel and my cleric main character all died). I had him and Gale on the bridge. Gale pushed one of the Gith to their death before he died, then Astarion pushed the other. Then I put Astarion in stealth and slowly chipped away at the remaining ones below. All they did during their turns is yell threats; no attempts to look for the hidden rogue above.

I somehow doubt I could duplicate the surprising win if I tried, but maybe the stealth height advantage thing is worth a shot.

Yeah, I took the Hag out in an unrepeatable way. Still not sure how it happened either. Ah well, will plod on.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks for all the replies! I did try to get high (errr...) but they just followed me up and beat my crew to a bloody pulp regardless. Think I'll explore a bit more and return when I've recruited a few Balrogs. Dont recgonise the dudes in the piccy.....

When they follow you up just move around them and shove them off the ledge. The fight is significantly easier if you can trick them into going up the ladders than just fighting them on the ground.

Originally Posted by Topper
Just a quick question re likelihood of a fourth lvl group beating a 5th lvl. Thinking specifically about the fight with the Githyanki at the bridge. Cant see any way I can beat them given they kill two of my party in the first round every time. Better to gain a lvl and return yeah? TIA

Quick Save before the encounter, and reload to try and get your guys at the start of the turn order up.

Also, Astarion is the best <3. He is a life saver in every fight <3.

Last edited by FatePeddler; 04/11/20 12:00 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Yeah my Hag fight was bugged to, once combat started she just stood there and took it. I actually stopped attacking for a bit trying to figure out if she swapped places with myrena and I was attacking the wrong one, could see anything wonky so just killed her.

old hand
old hand
I didn't find this encounter especially hard, at 4th level. I went there as the last thing I did on the surface world, so I had all magic gear available on the surface, but nothing from the Underdark, yet. This was the one time in my playthrough that I actually used a Potion of Speed, though in retrospect I didn't need it.

I know it's not actually helpful to say, "lol it was easy for me" though.

I had Lae'zel (battlemaster) with 22 AC from Defense style, her armor, shield, and Shield of Faith spell from the Sword of Justice (oh and I raised her Str and Dex both 1 at level 4, so that was one more point of AC). She was the only person who stayed on the ground.

My other party members were Gale, Shadowheart (with Warlock Initiate), and my own Thief Rogue.

First round, Gale casts Jump and leaps up to a position on the rocks. My rogue dashes and climbs up to the top of the bridge, does a ranged Sneak Attack, and then Hides. Shadowheart just dashes and climbs up to the top of the bridge. She might have also cast Hex that round, or maybe in round two. In any case, first round was all about positioning except for Lae'zel, who immediately Frightened the leader of the enemy group with Menacing Attack.

One of their guys comes up top with us, eventually pushed him off. Enemy leader is running away, Lae'zel Frightens another one of them, Gale is blasting from up on the rocks with impunity, Shadowheart is Eldritch Blasting her Hexed target and dropping Healing Words (with the item that also applies Blade Ward on a heal) as needed, my rogue drops a torch and dips, keeps ranged Sneak Attacking, keeps Hiding.

Once we get them down in HP, Gale is putting them to sleep, then we're finishing them off with big crits. The leader comes up to the top and gets in Shadowheart's grill, Gale sleeps her, Shadowheart obliterates her with a 55-damage Inflict Wounds + Hex auto-crit. In the third round, I think, my rogue switches to melee, getting behind their archer guy up top, uses a Potion of Speed to attack three times and then Shove him off to his death.

I don't remember all the exact details, play-by-play for every round, but honestly we pretty much wiped the floor with them. None of my characters were even downed.

apprentice
apprentice
I went through a fair bit of healing but I didn't find this fight outrageously hard the time I did it. Possibly it's just that I had good luck with my crowd control - dissonant whispers seemed to disable one of them each time I cast it (yeah it was only one round of being frightened, but with teh "save each round" in 5E, how long do things like hold person last anyway? And frightened enemies have a tendency to provoke attacks of opportunity) and I was somehow always able to kill the Gish in round one. Wouldn't have cared to try it if the party wasn't "fresh" in the sense of Lae'zel having her action surge and all her superiority dice and my warlock MC with both spell slots. I was using MC (Goolock), Lae'zel, Shadowheart, and I think Gale (might have been Wyll, was two playthroughs ago). Compared to the minotaurs (which I only beat because of a glitch that caused one to wait several turns before remembering it could jump to engage), this was hard but not unreasonable.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Дело не в уровнях и даже не в уроне, который вы способны нанести. Тактика и стратегия. Правильная расстановка группы до боя. Бойцов заточенных на силу, лучше оставить на мосту. Двое из Гитиянок телепортируются туда при первой же возможности и хороший пинок, лишит их преимущества и нанесёт приличный урон. Увести в скрыт тех, кто может это сделать, тем самым можно получить преимущество первого удара. Защиту на того, кто идёт к Гит для разговора и на Лаэзель. Если есть возможность призыва существ, вызывать и подставлять под первые удары. Разбойников желательно постоянно держать в скрыте, рассчитывать удар и снова в скрыт. Пара на земле будет оживлять друг друга, тем самым оттягивая на себя удар, а пара сверху наносить урон, пользуясь преимуществом высоты, как крайний вариант.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Their level isn't an issue. But it is one of those "prepare" style combats.
BG3 isn't a "I can breeze through every combat" sometimes you need to load and use your knowledge to win.

Further more, you have to have decent builds at this difficulty level, maybe on lower difficulties you might not need them, but here it's detrimental that you don't botch your builds.

I have no issues with any combats, and I don't cheese with barrelmancy or use dipped items etc, but I know my characters and what's going to work. I gain advantages I need.

By all means this isn't an easy fight, and if you look at the location, this might even be a fight you should wait for till level 5 in the final release (Which is possible in a final build)

old hand
old hand
I don't think you need l33t builds for this game, or cheese, or even necessarily preparation most of the time.

I've watched lots of people playing this on Twitch and YouTube, and honestly the people who struggle do so because they just continually make terrible decisions in combat.

"Hmm, I'm standing right next to an enemy, and it's too dark to see them, so I have a 15% chance to hit with my ranged attack. Oh wells, guess I'll just attack anyway."

"Two of my party members are downed, I'm a healer. Oh wells, guess I'll just cast Sacred Flame and then end my turn."

"All the enemies are up high, and they can hit us easily while we can't hit them for shit. Oh wells, guess I'll just stand right here in place, in their killbox, and complain about low hit chances and overtuned encounters."

Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok cool, thanks again for the insights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard