Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
If we want to feel this adventure as a real Journey then the "coming back to the same camp every night" idea has to go. D&D is very much about a Journey, not only personal for each character but also about travelling and all the challenges that come up when you have to find a place to sleep in a wild and dangerous area.

Right now coming back to the same camp feels not only immersion breaking (because the camp isn't even real, it exists in a parallel dimension) but also feels like a set back, like going back on our own steps. Always the same camp, same beds, etc.

Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring never left Rivendel and they did small quests from that location and came back every night for dinner and sleep. Boring, right? And at least for me just changing a bit the scenery of the camp once you move to a different chapter doesn't cut it (which is what I anticipate that they are trying to do).

I believe the stationary camp should go away, and we should have something more like Pathfinder Kingmaker where you have to find a suitable place for camping and build improvised tents and fire, watch for danger, etc.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
well, we can TELEPORT around... no need of traveling. Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring had access to special rune spread across the land so they can teleport around in a instant from rune to rune
Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring had access to revive scroll, Boromir would still be alive smile

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 04/11/20 02:01 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
old hand
old hand
I like the camp.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
well, we can TELEPORT around... no need of traveling. Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring had access to special rune spread across the land so they can teleport around in a instant from rune to rune
Imagine if the Fellowship of the Ring had access to revive scroll, Boromir would still be alive smile

I always assumed that fast travelling is travelling that does happen, but you don't see it. A good example of fast travel is Red Dead Redemption 2 where Arthur's beard grows during fast travel. That is why I don't agree with teleportation runes either but that is just being too picky, leave the runes if you want

OP Offline

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I like the camp.

Well now you can have dozens of camps, all unique and different because you will be camping in a different spot every night. How exciting is that?

L
addict
addict
L
Yep the teleport waypoints have to go too. Doesn’t feel Sword Coast at all. Just make fast travel offscreen travel.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Yep the teleport waypoints have to go too. Doesn’t feel Sword Coast at all. Just make fast travel offscreen travel.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like those!

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Would make more sense if camp had a rune in it.

It might have but I just didn't see it.

So far it feels like the group found a random spot to camp on day 1. And decided this will be their camp for the rest of time with no real reason given as to why.

I could see it being a convenient safe location, but its really not that well protected. Nor that convenient since no teleportation runes nearby. Having a camp you can teleport to (which I mean you can even without the rune in it) is actually insanely useful. If I could teleport home at that's fantastic. In that sense it would make sense. You can have a home base REALLY far away from where you are currently adventuring making you extra safe.

Pissed someone off in the area? Yeah good luck finding me in my sleep mate. My camp is located days if not weeks or months away from this area. Oh yeah I angered some folk in underdark? Haha camp on surface (where you probably never been to even once in your entire life) goes brrrr

Last edited by blazerules; 04/11/20 07:04 AM.
old hand
old hand
They use the camp as a staging ground for lots of narrative events and such, though. So if you just camped anywhere, it would be exceedingly hard to do that.

veteran
veteran
Stationary camp is not really a problem to me.
The problems are the transition.

Use the worldmap for fast travel rather than this kind of mmorpg rune, add the camp on the map, and you can travel on the stationary camp in a more immersive way

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
They use the camp as a staging ground for lots of narrative events and such, though. So if you just camped anywhere, it would be exceedingly hard to do that.

Yep thanks again to cinematic dialogues, cut content and annoying stuff everywhere.
Because of cinematic dialogues there SO MANY THINGS that cannot be done for the sake of having a movie like experience. Ironically this kills the immersion.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 04/11/20 07:27 AM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran

I mean, contextual cutscenes where the "actors" can stage the same interaction regardless of where you place then have been a thing for a while in this industry.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
D

Don't see how this could be a problem.
The only event that might be hard to move to a random location is the party after resolving tiefling/goblin problem. Which could be easily moved to their camps. And IMHO it would make more sense.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by drimaxus

I always assumed that fast travelling is travelling that does happen, but you don't see it. A good example of fast travel is Red Dead Redemption 2 where Arthur's beard grows during fast travel. That is why I don't agree with teleportation runes either but that is just being too picky, leave the runes if you want

Gale literally explain the fast travel is instantaneous. So the only travel that happens off screen is "you walk yo the teleporter"

addict
addict
The camp will be gone once
we arrive in Baldur's Gate in Act 2, after which it will be replaced by an inn.

D
D
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

It would only solve the problem if restrictions on when and where you can rest will be added. Otherwise it will be just a reskin of the camp.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

do you have a source on that?

F
stranger
stranger
F
+1 OP. You discover the runes immediatly after leaving the tutorial, and when I clicked on it the first time I ended up in camp, not knowing why, how, or how to get back. It broke an already fragile immersion, and not having characters at least walk into the zone first to state that this would be a fine place to rest is such a lost opportunity. It gives a big fat "Shut up it's magic" vibe to the system, like whatever this is a world of fireballs and dragons, why bother explaining anything at all, and it feels really cheap. I disliked the rune system as well, which seems a bandage over a bloated oversized map that would benefit from being separated in several smaller locations, and provide an excuse for not walking hours with a parasite in your head. I really feel like the time-restricted narrative and the rest and travel mechanics don't work at all together, so instead of changing one or the other they tried to do their best to sweep the conflict under the rug. You're told you are out of time but you can take unlimited long rests with no consequences, and instant travel feels like an element that was introduced to avoid making things worst.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by drimaxus

Gale's introduction says hi, along with his explanation of how it worked.

Imagine all the time required to make a different camp for every possible area a player could choose to rest in. There is also this glaring problem that I see, right off the bat, we're on one map, with an excursion into the Underdark. Is Act II using the same camp? What about Act III? What is it that you've seen that the rest of us hasn't?

old hand
old hand
They could have a few skins for camp depending on your location right before. It is really immersion breaking to be in the Underdark and then go back to the surface to make camp, especially when playing a Lolth Sworn Drow. Even if they kept the similar camp setup and just changed the environment (although I would like the option for players to be able to rearrange the camp as well.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard