Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I everybody,

Here is a suggestion about scrolls.
Actually everyone can use every scrolls in the game. That's a little bit strange and it erases a little bit the function, the role and the limit between the characters and their classes/subclasses.

This is what D&D 5e say about scrolls :

A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material Components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell’s normal Casting Time. Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and it crumbles to dust. If the casting is interrupted, the scroll is not lost.

If the spell is on your class’s spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your Spellcasting Ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other Effect.

The level of the spell on the scroll determines the spell’s saving throw DC and Attack bonus, as well as the scroll’s rarity, as shown in the Spell Scroll table.

D&D5e offer for nearly every classes the ability to use spells whatever it's a class or a suclass feature.
Baldur's Gate 3 also use the optional feats rule and allow many characters to use different types of spells.

(Nearly) everyone has solution to use magic, spells and scrolls in the game, but I think this should be part of choices and character building rather than a wtf basic mechanics.

I don't find the actual mechanic very D&D, nor very BG, nor very FR and I think it actually reduces the importance of our choices without any benefits.

I think the game should stick to the rules about that, even if it's only about the : "If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast it. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible"
Those who wouldn't be able to use scrolls can still use special potions, arrows,... The game isn't missing possibilities but it's sometimes missing consistency.

What do you think about this ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/11/20 08:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Definitely not let anyone use scrolls. They're not written in common.

Magic Initiate is the feat that unlocks this talent for you and gives you spells on top. Anyone being a Wizard or a Cleric with scrolls just makes magic feel lame and mundane.

And how are there scrolls everywhere in this Wilderness? Put them in logical places, please. On spellcaster enemies, libraries, arcane towers, temples.

old hand
old hand
I agree. Scrolls should only be usable by the proper classes.

S
addict
addict
S

Originally Posted by 1varangian
Definitely not let anyone use scrolls. They're not written in common.

Magic Initiate is the feat that unlocks this talent for you and gives you spells on top. Anyone being a Wizard or a Cleric with scrolls just makes magic feel lame and mundane.

And how are there scrolls everywhere in this Wilderness? Put them in logical places, please. On spellcaster enemies, libraries, arcane towers, temples.

everything you said +1

L
addict
addict
L
+1

journeyman
journeyman
I agree. There is also big side-effect of this issue that Wizard is able to learn any spell from scroll, even those not on his spell list. So now I have Wizzard in-game which knows and cast Guiding Bolt and Bless.

apprentice
apprentice
I agree it makes spellcasters useless if anyone can use Scrolls.

Originally Posted by Zahur
I agree. There is also big side-effect of this issue that Wizard is able to learn any spell from scroll, even those not on his spell list. So now I have Wizzard in-game which knows and cast Guiding Bolt and Bless.

I am pretty sure its a bug, no way they intended for you wizard to become a cleric as well

old hand
old hand
Agreed. It is fun using scrolls as any class but it makes things too easy.

journeyman
journeyman
Obviously I would say yes, but I feel like it doesn't really matter.
The few feedback from Larian makes me doubt that they are actually reading this

Link Copied to Clipboard