Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco

I'm trying not to be too judgmental here, but... Really?
What did you love about it so much? I'm not even sure I'd put it in a top 20 of the genre, let alone as my favorite game of all time in general.

Part of it being the first actual RPG I ever played, and I think i was just at the right age when playing it to be like really affected by the storytelling. Also, despite the fact that the later games ruined most of it, I really like the setting and general lore that DA:O sets up! I know calling it my favorite game is... controversial, especially in these nerdy RPG spaces lol. But I just like it a lot!

But you ARE able to see the ceiling in BG3. You are even able to climb on it. Well, when there's one.

Welp. Lol I guess this proves my point in a way, since I never even noticed the ceiling I don't really find it important.

veteran
veteran
The only complaint I have about DAO isometric controls are that you can't move the camera anywhere you want on the map. But other than that, it's pretty much the same as bg2... Party members are following you unless you tell them not to, but unlike earlier Bioware games (ahem Kotor) I had no troubles with it here

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zeel

I know calling it my favorite game is... controversial, especially in these nerdy RPG spaces lol. But I just like it a lot!

While I disagree, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. I know plenty of people who adore DA:O. To me it was simply too shallow and too long. I always enjoy the more structured introduction, until the end of battle of Ostagar. And I find it really dull afterwards.

veteran
veteran
I wouldn't say it's my best, but I think it's the perfect blend of old and new when it comes to Bioware game design, and based on what came later I can safely say it's no small feat

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
You can see roofs but not very easily. I can't look up to see the jackass shooting me from the rafters.

Originally Posted by Zellin
Originally Posted by DurneFea
Hi,
So i loaded up Dragon age Origins and after the first two minutes the character movement, camera and controls feel like "next level" stuff compared to BG3.

The buildings even have roof! In BG3 we cant know for sure wink
[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/zr1Dubd[/img]

Ok. I have only one question: how did you manage to be unsure about roofs existence, while we can even climb on them? Like really comparing the game where roofs are just shown, aside from very few scripted moments, with the game where roofs are a surface to walk on as well as the ground... And saying that... Wow!

I've run into a few situations where I wasn't able to see a roof without finding the "right" angle to do it with the camera. It's frustrating.

The one I remember best was in the Hunt the Devil quest, where choosing to help Karlach led to a fight, and one of the enemies (the female wizard) ran up into what looked like the sky. She stayed floating there, not doing anything and I couldn't target her. Eventually I found a location for the camera that showed she had climbed up on the roof. I could only see that from one particular location and camera angle that wasn't obvious.

I'm chalking that up to EA and assuming it will be fixed along with other camera glitches like the D20 crit "kill cam" view.

W
veteran
veteran
W
If you want to check out an enemy location just click on their portrait on the move order list. That will snap you right to them.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Zellin
Originally Posted by DurneFea
Hi,
So i loaded up Dragon age Origins and after the first two minutes the character movement, camera and controls feel like "next level" stuff compared to BG3.

The buildings even have roof! In BG3 we cant know for sure wink
[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/zr1Dubd[/img]

Ok. I have only one question: how did you manage to be unsure about roofs existence, while we can even climb on them? Like really comparing the game where roofs are just shown, aside from very few scripted moments, with the game where roofs are a surface to walk on as well as the ground... And saying that... Wow!

I've run into a few situations where I wasn't able to see a roof without finding the "right" angle to do it with the camera. It's frustrating.

The one I remember best was in the Hunt the Devil quest, where choosing to help Karlach led to a fight, and one of the enemies (the female wizard) ran up into what looked like the sky. She stayed floating there, not doing anything and I couldn't target her. Eventually I found a location for the camera that showed she had climbed up on the roof. I could only see that from one particular location and camera angle that wasn't obvious.

I'm chalking that up to EA and assuming it will be fixed along with other camera glitches like the D20 crit "kill cam" view.

Its not actually about whether there is a roof or not in the game, its about free camera control which allows you to look up at any time you wish. Given the focus on verticality in BG3 one would think this would be natural and expected to have this ability.

addict
addict
Funny how everyone keeps comparing BG3 to DA and DOS and not Baldurs gate 1 or 2...its their sequel right? lol.
I think the roofs of BG2 look better than all of these games.Pretty good verticality too (for buildings).You have a great sense of scale with your characters. You can go inside a building and come back out at their top/lower floors.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 03/11/20 10:38 PM.
old hand
old hand

What did you love about it so much? I'm not even sure I'd put it in a top 20 of the genre, let alone as my favorite game of all time in general.

What would you call the top 20 of the genre? And what do you mean by "the genre" in this case? If the genre is CRPGs (which I guess I would consider to be just about any western, non-action RPG), I think I'd definitely have it in the top 20. At one point, it was my 5th favorite game of all time, but too many good RPGs have come out since then, so now it's not. But still in the top 20, certainly.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
What would you call the top 20 of the genre? And what do you mean by "the genre" in this case? If the genre is CRPGs

It is.

Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Jagged Alliance 2
Fallout 2
Ultima VII
Darklands
Battle Brothers
Temple of Elemental Evil
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Fallout 1
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Divinity: Original Sin 1
Disco Elysium
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Underrail
Wastelands 3
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Stygian
Arcanum
Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
Pillars of Eternity 1
Knights of the Chalice
Fallout Tactics
etc.

and that's on top of my head. I'm sure if I think about it calmly I'd be adding more.

If we are going to be less strict about definitions and include even other types of RPGs for which I have a very soft spot (immersive sims, management/tactical games, action RPGs with enough depth, etc) the list is going to expand considerably with stuff like:

System Shock 1 and 2,
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2,
Prey 2017,
Vampire Bloodlines,
Deus Ex,
Gothic 1 and 2,
Risen,
ELEX,
MAAAYBE even Risen 2 and 3 stretching it a bit (rough start but I ended up enjoying them a lot),
Witcher 1-to-3,
UFO Enemy Unknown (the original),
the modern XCOM 2 War of the Chosen,
Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre,
Battle of Wesnoth...

These are all games that all things considered I enjoyed way more than Dragon Age (and without a doubt more than its sequels).

Last edited by Tuco; 04/11/20 06:10 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Yeah most of those games would also be on my list, but I can't imagine putting something like Knights of the Chalice ahead of Dragon Age: Origins. You must have really disliked it! Heh.

old hand
old hand
Oh, somebody's talking about Dragon Age, so I'll put in my 5 cents.

Mages are better than Templars! I really want that in the future part of the series in Tevinter we can find a non-corrupted Ancient God and wake him up (not in the form of an archdemon). This is the best way to make Tevinter Imperium great again.
I went through the Inquisition specifically for the elf magician girl in order to romance Solas (the ending is great, I'm going to help him + there are such companions that a heterosexual man is better off playing for a girl)
The riddle of the Dark City (Golden City) also needs an answer.

I said everything, thank you everyone for your attention

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Yeah most of those games would also be on my list, but I can't imagine putting something like Knights of the Chalice ahead of Dragon Age: Origins. You must have really disliked it! Heh.

It's more that KoTC despise the amateurish art had some of the best encounter design in the genre.

Last edited by Tuco; 04/11/20 05:49 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Frumpkis

It'd be nice just to have a Sims-style thing of being able to page-up/-down the various levels without the game having to guess what you meant and getting it wrong.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
DA:O was fun but it didn't hold my attention long enough for me to finish it. DA:I on the other hand is my favorite RPG of this style by far, but BG3 isn't even finished yet, and yes, you CAN get on roofs. I have in the Plundered Village. People are so fast about counting this game out and it's like Early Access doesn't mean anything. I'm sure this game will be good in its own right WHEN IT'S DONE.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i personalyl dont get the hype about DAO, it was a decent game but i dont understand why it was so outstanding to people.
I mostly remembered that the combat felt tedious but that was probably because i felt like enemies would constantly swarm past my melee characters.

I had the same issue with icewind dale, but in icewind dale i did stuff like stack those barrels they had everywhere to stop that from happening.
maybe i just misskilled my characters back then so i didnt have sleep or entangle... idk.

i dont know why people love it. the enemies always seemed realy uninspired to me and the best companion was a dog.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
i personalyl dont get the hype about DAO [...]

Shush you. It has nugs and is awesome. It's also the closest I've ever managed to get to tactical gameplay without being seriously pwned every time. D:

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast

If we are going to be less strict about definitions and include even other types of RPGs for which I have a very soft spot (immersive sims, management/tactical games, action RPGs with enough depth, etc) the list is going to expand considerably with stuff like:

System Shock 1 and 2,
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2,
Prey 2017,
Vampire Bloodlines,
Deus Ex,
Gothic 1 and 2,
Risen,
ELEX,
MAAAYBE even Risen 2 and 3 stretching it a bit (rough start but I ended up enjoying them a lot),
Witcher 1-to-3,
UFO Enemy Unknown (the original),
the modern XCOM 2 War of the Chosen,
Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre,
Battle of Wesnoth...

These are all games that all things considered I enjoyed way more than Dragon Age (and without a doubt more than its sequels).

Soulsborne...
And Dishonored, tho Prey gave more crative tools like a gloo cannon.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
As someone who does not have any form of nostalgic value in DA:O and installed/started playing it less than a week ago (thanks again, Abits!) - the graphics are fine, really. I was pleasantly surprised.

The combat however... Oh god, I am not sure whenever I just suck at it in general or if it is my severe distaste for real-time action in solo-player games showing but MAN... I played on the normal/standard difficulty, and I died so many times just trying to clear out the 3 bandit camps that I nearly lost it. ; _ ; And I don't even wanna talk about how long it took me to survive the night outside the haunted kid's castle. , _ ,

The entire thing about pausing live-action and being able to select ONE ability at the time when paused is driving me insane. I am at a point where I have to quick-save after pretty much every single encounter or dialog. XD (but that is not entirely due to difficulty, I am also having weird crashes, probably due to the game's age)

And regarding the camera management... Please no , _ , The scrolled-in option is making me motion sick and the scrolled-out option is clunky when out of combat. I personally absolutely adore the turn-based combat and camera angle in Xcom, DOS2 and BG3. Turnbased combat has really turned out to be something I am much better at than live-action . _ . I couldn't even finish The Witcher, Mirror's Edge or FF XV because I just can't handle the live action combat - I absolutely hate it. >.< So I ended up just watching the entire stories on YouTube instead.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard