Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Toggle would work fine. The number of times when you'll want to toggle it off will be few.

That's not true at all. In many instances, when your current target is only a few hit points away from dying, you won't want to waste your sneak attack on them. And as rogues do lots of damage, these situations might happen a lot. You can only jump once a turn so the ideal thing to do will be to use your sneak attack on your next enemy. And after level 5-6, I don't remember which level rogues get their second attack, you might have a 50% chances not using it on the first one.

It will be more so the case when you will have 3 attacks a turn and so on.

Personally, I would rather have an action button the way it is now than a toggle. It's one less click to do every round (use your sneak action vs toggle off/toggle on + attack action)

Last edited by Nyanko; 04/11/20 10:38 AM.
old hand
old hand
Rogues don't get second attack in 5e. You'd have to multiclass.

With the button as we have now, you can't Sneak Attack with an offhand weapon, you can't Sneak Attack with a special arrow, you can't Sneak Attack on an opportunity attack. That's a big reduction in overall utility.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 04/11/20 10:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
Agree with toggle. It would allow sneak attack to be used with whichever hand attack you wanted, in combination with whatever special abilities, and allow allow for sneak attacks to apply during AoOs.

The currently-implemented toggle that swaps main hand attack to dual wielding happens almost instantly, so a similar sneak attack toggle would take up way less time then having to find and click a sneak attack button every single turn.

Also it needs to change to dealing Xd6 instead of 1d6*X damage, so that dealing <5 damage with sneak attack happens less often. And the "to hit" indicator should explicitly say whether you have sneak attack (figuring out if my ally is technically within 5 feet is difficult).

old hand
old hand
They just need to put Sneak Attack over in the reactions/toggles area, just like Repelling Blast.

journeyman
journeyman
This:
[Linked Image]

And to answer OP question: Sneak Attack is now done as separate damage instance, which btw opens up the way for lots of exploits. So when you see 1d6+3+1d6 on current Sneak Attack button, it deals 1d6+3, and then it deals another 1d6. If something modifies the damage, both damage instances are modified like they are a completely separate attacks. For example, if you have Great Weapon Master enabled, both attacks get +10. See here:

[Linked Image]

T
Thomson Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Zahur
This:
[Linked Image]

And to answer OP question: Sneak Attack is now done as separate damage instance, which btw opens up the way for lots of exploits. So when you see 1d6+3+1d6 on current Sneak Attack button, it deals 1d6+3, and then it deals another 1d6. If something modifies the damage, both damage instances are modified like they are a completely separate attacks. For example, if you have Great Weapon Master enabled, both attacks get +10. See here:

[Linked Image]

I looked at the hit points of the enemy before and after the attack, so that was not the problem.

Also I don't think you need toggling at all.

There is a separate button for sneak attack and for normal attack.

The sneak attack button should only be enabled when you really can make a sneak attack.

It is that simple. It is rediculous that I can choose that option even though it does not work.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I'm having trouble identifying what is working as intended with sneak attack, and what is a bug. In 5e, sneak attack only works with finesse or ranged weapons - not so here. It doesn't always work with ranged attacks (as previously mentioned) - I now know that is a bug, in that attacking from hiding doesn't deal sneak attack damage. It really ought to be a toggle. A rogue is only getting one or two attack per round (unless they multiclass or get boosted with spells), so that really shouldn't be an issue.

old hand
old hand
Sneak attack does not work as you would think, just like advantage and disadvantage you don't follow the rules of actually rolling dice, instead you get a flat bonus to the roll from what it looks like.

I got on my main and back stabbed a halfling merchant here is what I got while stealthed and behind the target.

Armor Class: 15
Base Attack/Damage
Attack Roll: 17 (1d20, Advantage) +2 (Proficiency) +4 (Dex Mod) = 23
Damage Roll: 3 (1d6 Piercing) +4 (Dex Mod) = 7

Sneak Attack
Attack Roll: 17 (1d20, Advantage) +2 Proficiency) +4 Dexterity Mod.) = 23
Damage Roll: 3 (1d6 Piercing)*((4(Level)-1) / 2+1) = 6

So for the sneak attack you roll the 1d6 times it by your level minus one and divide it by 2+1 (whatever those numbers mean) to gain the additional bonus.

You can see this formula in the combat log, on the bottom right open it up an make it bigger. Combat log for whatever reason also starts at the very top of the load in so you have to scroll down every time to see current stuff.

Truthfully I kind of wonder whats going on under the hood of this game. Removing random dice to flat bonuses is where I would draw the line, height an backstab advantage plus other junk just I really dont care. Dice rolling/randomness to the game is flat out d&d in every edition.

Last edited by fallenj; 06/11/20 11:53 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard