Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
The true Baldur's Gate must consist of:
1) up to 6 members in party
2) instrumental soundtrack (like early versions have); invite Michael Hoenig please before it's too late!!!
3) good interface design (like BG1 has) You have pretty ugly interface now.
4) tactical pause fighting system only!!!
5) some items from BG1 and BG2 (gems, weapons, armour) and similar inventory sounds (that leather armour sound...)
6) good old NPCs from BG1 and BG2 (Elminster, Drizzt, Volo; some old companions like Imoen, Kivan, Tiax etc)

R
old hand
old hand
R
Mercy, I'm tired of this kind of topics. But ok, let's play this game.
1) Just because the previous games looked like that, doesn't mean that BG3 has to. Compare the series of witchers, each game was very different from each other. It's still the same series.
2) The current soundtrack is great
3) There are many things that can be said about BG 1, but not that it had a good interface.
4) See point 1
6) Volo is in the game. As for the others, most of the characters are long dead.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
My suggestion is addressed to developers, but not to newfag users. I hope they played the original source of Baldur's Gate.

old hand
old hand
This isn't RPG Codex, keep your homophobic slurs out of here.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sheriff1965
My suggestion is addressed to developers, but not to newfag users. I hope they played the original source of Baldur's Gate.

Do keep it civil please. You lose credibility by being rude to others. Not just that, but repeated behaviour will have you removed entirely.

R
stranger
stranger
R
The 6 party members is a good idea that has been put forward many times before. It wouldn't even be difficult for Larian to implement, modders have done it to both the divinity games easily and messed up nothing in the game ( with the exception of difficulty lol). Your attitude ruins any hope of being taken seriously though. Your #6 seems to imply that you don't know the time this game is set in, even if Imoen hadn't died around 1482 DR, she wouldn't be able to live long enough to be in BG3

addict
addict
1) up to 6 members in party
2) instrumental soundtrack (like early versions have); invite Michael Hoenig please before it's too late!!!
3) good interface design (like BG1 has) You have pretty ugly interface now.
4) tactical pause fighting system only!!!
5) some items from BG1 and BG2 (gems, weapons, armour) and similar inventory sounds (that leather armour sound...)
6) good old NPCs from BG1 and BG2 (Elminster, Drizzt, Volo; some old companions like Imoen, Kivan, Tiax etc)

Must? No.
1) No
2) No
3) Too subjective, why not make suggestions on how to improve.
4) No
5) No
6) There are several.

And shove your insults while you are at it.

veteran
veteran
1) Yes
2) Not sure I'll remember BG3's soundtrack as much as I remember (and listen) BG1/2's soundtrack, but heh... I don't really care.
3) Interface like BG1/2 is too old, but I agree that BG3's interface is kind of "random" and without any personnalities. I don't like it.
4) Won't happen, deal with it.
5) Not sure to understand. The number of so many useless items in BG3 are boring and inventory management is even worse than in the old games. The magical items are all "strange" to me and not very satisfying... But I don't really care about references.
6) Most are dead. Not sure it's usefull.

This is the answer of someone that only wait, hope, suggest and discuss about the game for it to look and feel more like BG1/2.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/11/20 09:17 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
1. Yes.
2. Idk, from what I've heard it's really good in BG3, though it could be tweaked a bit to be more in line with the originals. One person made an amazing mockup.
3. I'm not sure why BG1 over BG2? I didn't hate it, but BG2 improved A LOT on the UI and player-friendliness. I'd use BG2 UI and "modernize" it a bit while keeping the overall feel and convenience.
4. I agree on RTwP, but that battle had been lost before it started. I have the tiniest of hopes for such a mode in Definitive Edition or, more likely, a mod.
5. A small handful of BG1/2 items would be nice, but I'd rather have most be new ones. Similarly to BG1 -> BG2 transition. Some subtle sound references would be very nice.
6. Some cameos would be nice (and are confirmed, afaik). I'd like to see Xan and Edwin as a lich. (Or Xzar. Damn that BG2 canon treatment of Xzar.) But I'd leave most out of it - it would just seem like trying to get people to acknowledge BG3 as BG by parading old characters... and it's better for a sequel (especially one that's not in the same saga) to be mostly fresh while retaining series' identity. Even BG2, a direct continuation, had most things new. (That and tbh I don't know if I trust Larian to get the characters right. Sorry. Writing some else's character is... iffy.)

Originally Posted by The Composer

Do keep it civil please. You lose credibility by being rude to others. Not just that, but repeated behaviour will have you removed entirely.

Really? You cant even be bothered to edit the slur?

stranger
stranger
1) That would be nice.
2) Better music is a must. Current title piece sounds like a sound check (though that makes sense for EA).
3-6) I think you're far too invested in the actual content of the original games, rather than their tone and feel. This is set 100ish years later. It wouldn't make sense for old characters to still be around. Elminster and Drizzt would make sense for cameos (and that's all they had in the original games too). Volo is already in the game.

Larian is establishing a new campaign in the same setting. If they're true to the tone and setting of the original games, it'll feel like a successor sure enough. The Bhaalspawn saga may have ended, but there's still plenty of adventure to be had in the Forgotten Realms.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have to admit I seriously expected to see in game some of the books from BG 1 and 2 as well as one or two about BG 1 and 2. I was surprised when I didn't see any (although the reading mechanic of closing a book closing your inventory annoys me enough I have to admit I have not yet all the books I have collected) but aside from being nice I don't have hard feelings about old content being largely eclipsed over a century but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the magic items low key show up. Like Flame Tongue which was always my favorite sword and which I often carried even when it was no longer useful (imagine my joy when I got the Underdark and found it could be enchanted further). I think they would be nice easter eggs for fans of the franchise. Also I think the main theme is pretty bland and generally uninspired and I turned off music in the game midway through because I prefer the quiet and ambient environmental sounds to leitmotiff, but from what I remember the score wasn't that bad actually.

So put me down for +1 to 1 and 5.

Link Copied to Clipboard