Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
if you end up fighting them you did the wrong choice in the conversation and/or failed your roll check.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 04/11/20 11:54 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I don't think you need l33t builds for this game, or cheese, or even necessarily preparation most of the time.

I've watched lots of people playing this on Twitch and YouTube, and honestly the people who struggle do so because they just continually make terrible decisions in combat.

"Hmm, I'm standing right next to an enemy, and it's too dark to see them, so I have a 15% chance to hit with my ranged attack. Oh wells, guess I'll just attack anyway."

"Two of my party members are downed, I'm a healer. Oh wells, guess I'll just cast Sacred Flame and then end my turn."

"All the enemies are up high, and they can hit us easily while we can't hit them for shit. Oh wells, guess I'll just stand right here in place, in their killbox, and complain about low hit chances and overtuned encounters."

a few of those issues are caused by the questionable house rules too to be fair.

Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
if you end up fighting them you did the wrong choice in the conversation and/or failed your roll check.

I failed the persuasion check a few times and fought, lost. Restarted the encounter several times and finally won the persuasion roll but.... Lae'zel lost the deception roll and thus we fought. I'd rather resolve the encounter without a fight but, I'll keep trying and see where it goes.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I don't think you need l33t builds for this game, or cheese, or even necessarily preparation most of the time.

I've watched lots of people playing this on Twitch and YouTube, and honestly the people who struggle do so because they just continually make terrible decisions in combat.

"Hmm, I'm standing right next to an enemy, and it's too dark to see them, so I have a 15% chance to hit with my ranged attack. Oh wells, guess I'll just attack anyway."

"Two of my party members are downed, I'm a healer. Oh wells, guess I'll just cast Sacred Flame and then end my turn."

"All the enemies are up high, and they can hit us easily while we can't hit them for shit. Oh wells, guess I'll just stand right here in place, in their killbox, and complain about low hit chances and overtuned encounters."

Yeah, that's what I see too. While the forum might be debating the advantage rules, it's currently in the game, and not being able to use that is very detrimental. But no one really tells you about it, so yeah...

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self

Not the way I play. I want to fight them. If I end up fighting them I call that the right choice. If I were to end up letting them go without killing them then I’ll have missed out on one of the more interesting battles in all of the EA. 😈

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks for all the replies! I did try to get high (errr...) but they just followed me up and beat my crew to a bloody pulp regardless. Think I'll explore a bit more and return when I've recruited a few Balrogs. Dont recgonise the dudes in the piccy.....

Did you try shoving them off the edge? Shove is a delicious mechanic. I have shoved so many EA bosses down long drops to their deaths.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Did you try shoving them off the edge? Shove is a delicious mechanic. I have shoved so many EA bosses down long drops to their deaths.

Especially with thunderwave. Just don't put Gale too close to the edge because they tend to teleport to the bridge and will smash your mage with their 2H swords. Once shoved their HP is like halved and they are easy target for ranged characters or/and Laezel if she's still down there.

Mage armor + bless before fight starts.

Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks for all the replies! I did try to get high (errr...) but they just followed me up and beat my crew to a bloody pulp regardless. Think I'll explore a bit more and return when I've recruited a few Balrogs. Dont recgonise the dudes in the piccy.....

Sadly no, they had already pulped two of my characters and I thought...walk away and return when the blood cools. I'm glad its tough though. Adds to the immersion smile

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
When in doubt, barrels and cover the battlefield in fire. The DOS2 way

Topper Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I won the rolls this time. Didnt have to fight them.

addict
addict
Easily beatable even w/o pre-staging party members or cheesing with barrels. Combat guide: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=722075

journeyman
journeyman
I beat them last night but they killed 3 of my characters including my main. frown So I went to an old save and avoided them... I may take another crack at them tonight. Thief, Wizard, 2 fighters. Potion of speed and if you can catch them in a high place to hit and shove.... did a hell of a mash up there magic user.

I have found the Barbarian Rage starts on me when they tweak out triple attack combos.... Lots of WTF on my dwarven tongue.

T
T
Luck does play a big part in it. I beat them with a level 3 party but then in another playthrough my level 4 party got trashed. The initial initiative rolls are big and the enemies might miss or hit on their first turns. Having some high dexterity characters that go before most of the enemy units is really helpful and someone with a really high AC so they miss.

And I like that there are a ton of options for this encounter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard