Print Thread
#728207 05/11/20 10:20 AM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
So excited about the full game!

Reading through the feedback threads a lot of stuff is covered but I had a few thoughts on maps.

1. A yellow polygon? The creative direction in the game so far is really smart, playful, engaging - then there's a primary yellow square for a quest marker. It just feels a bit clumsy.
2. The map as a journal. I like the Journal interface and how much info is captures - but it would be great if this was tied into the map a little bit more, some examples;
- When you read a book that references a location - it is added to the map (it would also be cool if when you 'hover' on the marked location on your map the source referenced (for role playing purposes)
- This would also help for people like me who hate missing content, I want to see, find (and read) everything - but missed some cool places that could have been read about and then added to the map

3. And not map specific. This may only be a Stadia issue (the first time I've used the platform). But Settings are not saved between play sessions. So re-setting personalised keybindings EACH play sessions was really frustrating. But if it is a game development solution i.e. including settings data in save game data - it would seriously improve the Stadia experience

4. I can't wait - need the full game now, please!

veteran
veteran
1) I agree that every markers should be improved. It's really impersonnal at the moment. i think larian can find a better design to improve this part of the UI.

2) I disagree. Finding clues in books or in your journal to search a location is a part of the journey and the travel accross the world. It's some kind of "enigma" and i like it.
I also hate missing content, but missing content allow me to replay the game and enjoy "new" content.

No opinions about 3 and 4.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/11/20 10:38 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Tbh the map as a whole looks like a placeholder. The markers in particular, but the "satellite view" types of maps are... neither pretty nor helpful in getting around in games, and BG3 boasts so much verticality. "That guy" time: now if you look at the map in Solasta, weeeell... that's a different story. Solasta has the type of map I wanted to suggest for BG3 months ago (maybe sans minimap, which is just a compass).

old hand
old hand
Solasta's map is great. I wish more games would do maps like that.

N
N
i think that some tweaking to the map/ui/waypoint travel needs some love and i would be a big fan if they incorporated more of the map image/theme design that we find on the boarders of ea as it gives a more 'world map' feel v the current waystone point and click (it also reminds me alot of the og bg maps and art design).

i still would like if larian provided some comment as to the lock mechanic happening after act 1, and if its limited to just companions or maps as well - not a fan of act maps that restrict where you can and cant revisit as you progress the story.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Before I saw Solasta's map, I wanted to suggest "something like Daggerfall, just more polished". I'm so happy a modern game has this type of map. This should have been the standard (or one of main approaches) for two decades. I hope future games continue this.

And it looks so nice, too! I love the "3D sketch on paper" feel. Like a magical map fantasy adventurers could actually use.

Originally Posted by nation
i still would like if larian provided some comment as to the lock mechanic happening after act 1, and if its limited to just companions or maps as well - not a fan of act maps that restrict where you can and cant revisit as you progress the story.

Yeah... Not a fan of both. I'm more bothered by companion lock, tbh, but permanently missable content is also not something I like. Imo the best model is openable/opening world (kind of how BG1 did it). I suppose story reasons might dictate otherwise though.

Another thing is that iirc main plot progression might be sudden/not obvious. So you could progress beyond act-break on accident by exploring. I hope I misunderstood Swen and it's completely not the case. (Take this with a grain of salt.)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

indeed

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Oh, I wasn't talking about the world map. Which is fine. I meant the local area map.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Hey.

I really like the game but the only thing wrong for me is the map. I know they cant make it like a traditional Baldurs Gate map but i wish you could highlight an area then move your party to the location and maybe have all locations marked on the map. Everything else is looking good just going to do my second playthrough.

Link Copied to Clipboard