Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
old hand
old hand
N
The witcher 3 best rpg for normies? What normies? It's simply the best RPG ever made. Period.
Each of its biggest side quests could be a game of their own. Visually, musically, writing, characters, everything in the witcher 3 is better than anyting Bioware has ever produced. For me, it's not even a game, it's an artistic masterpiece.

And this is, by far, the best game I ever played in my entire life of gamer, which started way back when PC wasn't even a thing.

Last edited by Nyanko; 05/11/20 01:09 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
>Withcer 3
>Best RPG
witcher bareley an RPG to begin with.
If witcher is an RPG then so is Far Cry.

>Best RPG for normies
definitly. Its how i got my girlfriend into video games. its heavy on the narrative, very much a movie game but iwth enaugh gameplay to not keep you falling asleep, graphics are fantastic and so is the voice acting.
Combat is babys first Arkham Asylum clone but its executed well and makes you look awsome while only pressing one button repeatedly.

For what its worth, you gotta commend withcer for making a pants on head stupid story somehow work through excellent execution and acting.

>better than anything bioware ever produced
on a second note. you might aswell be right on that one...
Bioware doesnt deserve the praise it gets

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyanko
The witcher 3 best rpg for normies? What normies? It's simply the best RPG ever made. Period.
Each of its biggest side quests could be a game of their own. Visually, musically, writing, characters, everything in the witcher 3 is better than anyting Bioware has ever produced. For me, it's not even a game, it's an artistic masterpiece.

And this is, by far, the best game I ever played in my entire life of gamer, which started way back when PC wasn't even a thing.

Some people like to play blank page hero. ;-)

About action RPG I would like to add first Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Atmosphere, unusual storytelling, good combat and NPCs that aren't our nannies, best bossfight soundtracks, enemies from the nightmares. Aaand visual gothic magnificence of Yharnam.
Dragon's Dogma DA would be my honorable mention because of fun factor of spell syncing maelstroms/BBI. Pawn mechanic gives some freshness.

Best modern(ish) RPG:
- Dragon Age:Origins

Best classic RPG:
- some rpgs I really like a lot for the story or companions but they do have some serious flaws; vtm:bloodlines 1 (best dialogue system ever imo), nwn2: OC/MotB/MoW (I love D&D 3.5 what can I say), nwn 1: HotU (story), BG2 (evil path felt incomplete but otherwise epic).

Best RPG back in the day:
- Ultima 7 (don't think I could play it nowadays, but played it to bits back then)
- BG1 (again, I can't play this anymore even though I was crazy about it back then)

Best casual RPG:
- fallout:NV / elder scrolls: morrowind/oblivion/skyrim, DA3, path of exile, for when I don't want to think too much and just kill stuff and loot for w/e reason.

RPGs I will most likely never play:
- Witcher series, Planescape Torment. I want to play my character not someone else's. Most definitely not a guy.

RPGs I won't be able to play:
- Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2. First person perspective. Motion sickness is a thing.

RPGs I played but hated with a vengeance:
- I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2. Press a button and something awesome happens? Just no.

RPGs I think are meh:
- Pillars of Eternity 1-2, Divinity OS 1-2. I backed them but the story and companions never really clicked with me. Combat systems were annoying.

addict
addict

It can't be the best of all time with bad combat, and combat taking a huge part in it. It is a HUGE flaw.

addict
addict
Best RPG studio of all times: Bioware

Best RPG game series: Baldur's Gate

Best RPG for modders: Skyrim

Best modern RPG: Pillars of Eternity 2

Best RPG for normies: Skyrim

Most Overrated Studio: CD Projekt Red (one great game only)

Most Promising Studio: Obsidian

veteran
veteran
For all you Alpha Protocol fans, I have a good feeling that MS will end up putting in a strong bid to buy its IP so that a sequel can be made. I personally never played the game because I don't care for shooters, but from all that I've read about it I would agree it's a really good game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Verte
Dragon's Dogma DA would be my honorable mention because of fun factor of spell syncing maelstroms/BBI. Pawn mechanic gives some freshness.

That first experience of hiring a prawn who liked to cast maelstrom. "Argh, what just happened?!! D:"

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict

I love the artistic side of W3. This is something that I wish Larian would put into BG3.

But CDPR produced W3 because Bioware pretty much elevated the CRPG genre decades before. CDPR started by publishing Baldur's Gate in Polland. And many of the foundations of W3 comes from prior Bioware games.

Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption - Also a very cool game: Pissed off Cristoff.

Wow. Nice to see somebody that knows this game. Loved it back in the day.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 05/11/20 03:18 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Tyranny is not good. Has good story but the mechanics is completely disconnected from the lore.

Could not disagree more. I love Tyranny, it's one of my favorites. To me, it's the best of the "new renaissance" batch of CRPGs. (But probably to be dethroned by BG3.)

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 05/11/20 03:27 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
I don't follow studios...so, I'm just going to list some of the NPCs that had the most influence or which I have the most persistent fond memories of.

The Gold Box games, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness...played all of those...played a Gateway and Treasures of the Savage Frontier and Champions of Krynn too. The gameplay has really not aged well, though Gold Box Companion adds a lot of QoL upgrades that make it good.

Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines, very cool game.

City of Heroes - From Third Wave Beta to shutdown, great superhero MMO, easy to play as an entirely solo experience, generally only played with family and other friends or just completely solo. (yes, there's private servers out there, I am playing on some of them.)

The Secret World/Secret World Legends = Let's punch Cthulhu in the face! Yeah! Get to be a nigh-immortal superhero...sort of like being in a grimmer version of City of Heroes with worse travel options...but still cool stories and again, very solo-able (to a point)

Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 - I've replayed the original campaigns of these so many times. I prefer NWN2 because it has more character build options, but they're both great.

Sword Coast Legends - I know a lot of people dislike this as a D&D game and it isn't a D&D game even if it is a Faerun game. I enjoyed the story and the characters...and some of the bosses were quite clever. I wish it had done better so we could have seen more expansions on it.

Lord of the Rings Online - Such a weird mix of nerding out and nerd rage....amazing game for any Tolkien-fan...even when you're complaining about the small odd things they got wrong.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption - Also a very cool game: Pissed off Cristoff.

Pillars of Eternity - I love the reputation systems and it's a wonderfully pleasant dark fantasy storyline.

Shadowrun Returns / Shadowrun: Dragonfall / Shadowrun: Hong Kong - All the three of the recent Shadowrun games are good, but Shadowrun: Hong Kong just is amazing. So good. Though I have to give real props to whoever wrote/designed the companion characters in Dragonfall....oh man, Glory struck a nerve in a wonderfully emotion stirring way.

Grim Dawn / Titan Quest - Like with LotRO, Titan Quest is great for a mythology nerd....though it is a LOT more "got it wrong" than in LotRO. Grim Dawn is basically the same system of Titan Quest with some severe upgrades and an entire extra layer to the characters builds that makes for some wonderful replayability.

Great list! I've played and loved most of these as well. Gold Box games were my favorites as a kid, great memories there. Loved both NWN games and their expansions to pieces. I even liked Sword Coast Legends and was sad that it failed so hard. (I made an adventure for it called "Fifty Shades of Thay", now lost to time.)

And oh man, the Shadowrun trilogy are SO GOOD. They get better with each installment, though Dragonfall is still probably my favorite overall just due to thematic reasons. And Glory . . . one of the most memorable companion characters from any RPG, for me. Plus I'm just a huge Shadowrun fan, I played an awful lot of the tabletop game back when I was in my teens and early twenties, big nostalgia.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abits
You guys go on I just wanna say I'm so excited to find other fans of Alpha Protocol. do you remember this foxy lady?
[Linked Image]

Scarlet Lake! She was so cool, even more so when you find out her secret. I loved her and Stephen Heck. So many great characters in that game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Could not disagree more. I love Tyranny, it's one of my favorites. To me, it's the best of the "new renaissance" batch of CRPGs. (But probably to be dethroned by BG3.)

As much as I griped at the time about the very static-feeling isometric setting (which is purely a matter of taste rather than any claim of objectivity) I loved the game. It went a bit "yeah whatevs, imma finish up now" near the end but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia

As much as I griped at the time about the very static-feeling isometric setting (which is purely a matter of taste rather than any claim of objectivity) I loved the game. It went a bit "yeah whatevs, imma finish up now" near the end but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

I feel like it was very much designed to have a sequel, or at least an expansion. But then, due to money or whatever, it never got to have one. Sad. It had such an original setting compared to most RPGs, and I liked the companions a lot, and the magic system was really interesting and unique.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia

I feel like it was very much designed to have a sequel, or at least an expansion. But then, due to money or whatever, it never got to have one. Sad. It had such an original setting compared to most RPGs, and I liked the companions a lot, and the magic system was really interesting and unique.

I was really enjoying Tyranny then it ended after about 9 hours of my first playthough. I was like eh? Like so many other games it had so much potential but in my opinion the entire game should have been act 1 of 4. I think I read the department was defunded before they had chance to complete the game so they ended it as best they could. I loved the dark setting and the characters were far more interesting than in PoE.

for one, i just want to say I absolutely loved SCL, now can someone please tell me where i can find NWN 2??? Ive looked on steam and to no avail... I haven't played tyranny but want to, and also is it worth it graphics wise to try shadowrun???

Originally Posted by DayVlad73
for one, i just want to say I absolutely loved SCL, now can someone please tell me where i can find NWN 2??? Ive looked on steam and to no avail... I haven't played tyranny but want to, and also is it worth it graphics wise to try shadowrun???

It was removed from Steam a few years back, have you tried GoG? NWN2 Complete

Last edited by Moirnelithe; 05/11/20 04:57 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe

Best classic RPG:
- some rpgs I really like a lot for the story or companions but they do have some serious flaws; vtm:bloodlines 1 (best dialogue system ever imo), nwn2: OC/MotB/MoW (I love D&D 3.5 what can I say), nwn 1: HotU (story), BG2 (evil path felt incomplete but otherwise epic).

I was thoroughly disappointed with MoW, but otherwise, I loved NWN2 and NWN1...definitely VTM:Bloodlines

Best RPG back in the day:
- Ultima 7 (don't think I could play it nowadays, but played it to bits back then)
- BG1 (again, I can't play this anymore even though I was crazy about it back then)

You might want to look toward a YouTube stream by the name of Kikoskia. He did Ultima 7. Serpent Isle, Ultima 1, Ultima Underworld, Ultima Underworld 2, Ultima 8, and (recently) Ultima 9. He also did NWN, NWN: SoU, NWN: HoU, Lands of Lore (twice), Lands of Lore 2, Lands of Lore 3, Anvil of Dawn, BG1, and BG2.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ADhkBQFudvyhdpsBJJvYw

He does a lot of older games and RPGs, actually. Very pleasant, laid back man, generally doesn't have a cross-word to say about games he plays (won't LP games he won't enjoy), but he is lovingly heavy on lampshade hanging.

RPGs I won't be able to play:
- Cyberpunk 2077, Bloodlines 2. First person perspective. Motion sickness is a thing.

RPGs I think are meh:
- Pillars of Eternity 1-2, Divinity OS 1-2. I backed them but the story and companions never really clicked with me. Combat systems were annoying.

Ouch on Cyberpunk and Bloodlines. As to the others yeah, combat was the most annoying part of Pillars. RTWP is something I'm fine with in some games, but not so much in an RPG. I recently played about an hour or two of Divinity 2 because people kept saying how this game is just that over again, but to be honest, I don't much feel it beyond a love for starting people on failing ships and beaches....In any case, Divinity didn't hold me the way BG3 has. It's very much "okay, this is a thing that exists". I think the whole "society believes super powers are evil / super powers are actually evil" story hook turned me off immediately.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 05/11/20 05:01 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar

I was really enjoying Tyranny then it ended after about 9 hours of my first playthough. I was like eh? Like so many other games it had so much potential but in my opinion the entire game should have been act 1 of 4. I think I read the department was defunded before they had chance to complete the game so they ended it as best they could. I loved the dark setting and the characters were far more interesting than in PoE.

Wow, 9 hours? My first playthough took literally 10 times as long as yours. I clocked in around 90 hours for Tyranny. Of course, the reasons for this are clear in my playthrough on YouTube, in which I (badly) voice acted every piece of dialogue from every character. I also have a very slow playstyle in general. I mean, my BG3 first playthrough was 103 hours, and I was NOT streaming/recording.

Tyranny Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaN_s1bC7W5xpGp8n8u7e5rj5ABiQgepu

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by DayVlad73

Shadowrun Returns is good (gets a couple of things with certain Lore very wrong, but it's tolerable)

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is great, lots of improvements to cyberwear and companion mechanics. Much better story.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong .... Oh yes, yes it is worth it. Huge improvements to cyberware. Thin orc models. It is very conversation intensive and I recommend digging into all the conversations because I suspect there are some triggers in there for what endings you're able to get and I can't narrow in on what I think are the important NPC conversations without spoiling and there's some fun bits all over even if not all of them are plot relevant.

Maybe eventually we'll see a Shadowrun CRPG that pushes time to when subraces like oni and people like changelings start making an appearance. I'd love to play my shintoist oni who wanted to be idol singer.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard