Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dez Offline
addict
addict
What an awesome list! +1

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
This is a wonderful list. I agree with pretty much everything.

Right now Long Rests and Short rests being obsolete is the biggest problem of this game. Also the fact that solving encounters peacefully does not provide equal exp compared to solving encounters via combat. You already miss out on loot because often times the NPC's run away. Just make it so you cannot gain more exp after you solved this encounter peacefully so players don't exploit this for 2x exp.

Also rework the Siding with the Goblins storyline. It has pitiful rewards. And there is just no incentive to siding with them. They never promise to aid you with your Tadpole problem and they do not promise you to make its effects strong, either.
And the Questlog lies to you. The Questlog says "The absolute has awarded me with more power" but you get nothing. There is a dialogue after you finish the raid where it says something like "the tadpole is really happy, you are becoming." But there is no reward at all.
The best rewards are from killing Mintharra and the goblin leaders and you miss out on those when raiding the grove. Kadgas and Zevlors items are nice, but Kadga can simply be killed or die during the attack, or at the party, so you can easily get her items while not siding with the goblins.

Please change the writing of the Quest Journal. Throughought the whole EA: Your journal says "Removing the Parasite". However as we all know, this is not the goal for everyone. Astarion for example wants to keep the tadpole and its positive effects and learn how to control it. My personal character would want this aswell, so why does the game already force you into a decision? It should say something like "Find a healer to understand the tadpole" or "Learn about the parasite".

Please add Hexblade to the game and add something useful to Great Old one Warlock. There is no reason to pick it other than having a few different spells to chose from, but no bonus like Dark One's blessing level 1. Also Dark One's blessing is bugged sometimes and does not grant you temporary HP, even when you do not have False Life active.

The best part of this EA are the dream interactions and the promise of power and authority, and actually getting the powers of the Absolute via the Dreams and via a Questline in the underdark. These are amazing rewards and I hope you keep this up. But the evil Questline as siding with the Goblins is the worst part about EA. There is no incentive to do so. They never promise you to help you in your main goal. They do not offer any information, any cure, or increasing your powers. You have to actively force the evil playthrough in dialogue description without any incentive.

There is almost no information about the Brand of the Absolute. The game never explains to you that you can use the powerful items of the absolute now. There needs to be an option to force your party members to also receive the brand. Maybe use your Illithid powers to make them obey and brand them? And the fact that your character is branded NEEDS to be a tag in your character sheet.

Also siding with the goblins and a general evil playthrough is not about murdering everyone. During your evil playthrough you should also gain followers, or servants, or slaves. Similar to how a good character would gather followers united under the same goal, an evil character must also be able to gain followers who follow you because you are powerful, or because they are afraid of you. If you can add this to the game, then you will have a wonderful playthrough for both the good and the evil side. But please do not make the evil side "randomly murder a bunch of refugees or random npcs" and not help with our characters problem. Because thats what the goblin path is right now. And in the end, you feel stupid because they betray you. Which makes little sense given that you are a True Soul. Why should they listen to Mintharra over you?

Also magic items are great, but they need some tuning and balancing. The 18 int circlet is way too powerful. Change it to 16 instead.

The items which grant you spells to cast, like the Circlet of Blasting which grants you a cast of Scorching ray, needs to use your actual casting attribute instead of always using intelligence. Items like these favour mages because mages use intelligence. But they already have the most amount of spell slots, they do not need items like this as much.

On the other hand, an item which grants an additional cast of Scorching ray is very useful for my Warlock! But you made it so this Scorching ray uses intelligence instead of Charisma as a spellcasting modifier. So it has a really low chance to hit. This makes these items less useful as they should be. Please change the casting attribute for these items to match your class.

Last edited by feedback_wizard; 05/11/20 01:45 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Wow, that's impressive.

+1, mostly.

Agreed with all but 38 -- you are right that sacred flame needs love but I don't want to just bolster it and leave the rest of the overpowered cantrips in place. Put them all at the PHB descriptions.

nicely done

Yeah, putting all the cantrips at PHB description would be fine, too. Although it still favors attack roll cantrips over save cantrips due to the ease of getting advantage now.

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you for compiling this list! I may have missed it, but my additional request would be to either change how pausing works to make it instant and global or to add a real option for players to instantly do a global pause.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Decent list, but no we need to change the "Bonus actions" that are supposed to be actions. It's a game balance issue, and it affects so many things.
Rogues are nerfed because of it.
Shield Master Feat is nerfed because of it.
Goblins are nerfed because of it (They have disengage as a bonus action)
Melee characters/monsters are nerfed because of this. (Less opportunity attacks)

If I read Firesnakearies' feedback correctly, they want a bonus action that's not as powerful as the regular action. It makes sense.

A bonus action I'd like to see is Dodge, which is already 5e but not in BG3. If we can't get dodge, then I agree with Firesnakearies for other bonus actions, provided I read their feedback correctly.

[Linked Image]
546F6F206F6C6420746F2067616D652C20746F6F20796F756E6720746F2077617463682074686520776561746865722C200A746F6F206C617A7920746F206D616B652067616D65732C20746F6F20636F6D70756C7369766520746F2063617265206C6573732E
S
addict
addict
S
Agreed with all but 38 -- you are right that sacred flame needs love but I don't want to just bolster it and leave the rest of the overpowered cantrips in place. Put them all at the PHB descriptions.

The issue with Sacred Flame is that it doesn't benefit from the excessively easy way to leverage ADVANTAGE to ranged attacks (same goes for melee w/ flanking). This can be fixed somewhat with changing the homebrew as outlined below*. From bad to worse; Sacred Flame saves vs DEX which is the most heavily resisted save.

Larian's homebrew is GUARANTEED to break game balance in any number of ways and will force subsequent patchwork homebrew to fix what needn't be broken in the first place, so a better fix would be more authentic D&D rules whenever that doesn't get in the way of fun gameplay. A middle ground solution could be to give Clerics the non-PHB cantrip: "Toll the Dead" which saves vs WIS. Besides being strong on its own, this would afford Clerics with both cantrips the option to target the weakest save providing the class with a much needed combat boost w/o expending resources.

Shadowheart illuminates the problem further as she is very poorly built both mechanically and thematically (a roguish cleric of her sleight build should swap dex and str currently), so now she is poor both ranged and in melee outside of abusing the excessively imbalanced rest mechanic to cast spells every round.

BALANCED ADVANTAGE CHANGE (while still incentivising fun tactical mobile combat):
Flanking: +1 attack flank, +2 attack back
Higher Ground: +2 AC/DEX save (half cover to simulate defensible position). No disadvantage on attacking prone enemies on lower ground.

Last edited by Seraphael; 05/11/20 06:35 PM.
old hand
old hand
I agree with most of these.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Great suggestions. I agree to every one except the last one.

I don't like Disengage, Shove and Jump as bonus actions. They're cheesy and OP as it is and really spammable on top of that as bonus actions. 5th+ level Fighters should be able to both Shove prone and Attack and it's a good move against a high AC target getting that advantage and giving it to your team. Keep that a Fighter perk, they don't have that many.

I especially don't like the ability to both attack and disengage on the same turn. That gives too much free mobility to everyone and makes positioning in combat utterly meaningless. Tanks NEED to be able to punish enemies who run and control their movement. The combat is already a silly DPS king of the hill race as we have no Dodge, no Cover, defensive concentration effects won't last because the floor is lava everywhere, and high ground is completely OP. Choosing to engage an enemy needs to have consequences, on both sides.

About dice rolling. I want to see all the actual dice rolling on the lower left side of the screen where the attack breakdown is. It needlessly shows the percentage there for a second time as we can already see it on mouseover on the target. It would be especially important seeing Advantage / Disadvantage rolls there. I want to see the proof I failed a 94% shot. =)

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
[quote=1varangian]Great suggestions. I agree to every one except the last one.

I don't like Disengage, Shove and Jump as bonus actions. They're cheesy and OP as it is and really spammable on top of that as bonus actions. 5th+ level Fighters should be able to both Shove prone and Attack and it's a good move against a high AC target getting that advantage and giving it to your team. Keep that a Fighter perk, they don't have that many.

I especially don't like the ability to both attack and disengage on the same turn. That gives too much free mobility to everyone and makes positioning in combat utterly meaningless. Tanks NEED to be able to punish enemies who run and control their movement. The combat is already a silly DPS king of the hill race as we have no Dodge, no Cover, defensive concentration effects won't last because the floor is lava everywhere, and high ground is completely OP. Choosing to engage an enemy needs to have consequences, on both sides.

About dice rolling. I want to see all the actual dice rolling on the lower left side of the screen where the attack breakdown is. It needlessly shows the percentage there for a second time as we can already see it on mouseover on the target. It would be especially important seeing Advantage / Disadvantage rolls there. I want to see the proof I failed a 94% shot. =)[/quote]

Wait your attack break down is on the lower left side? How did you move it there? For me, the window is on the bottom right. And botteom left is where my party portraits are.

Also something that should be added is combat-text window should automatically scroll to the bottom and keep scrolling if you have it open. Every time I want to check dice rolls in combat, I open the text window and then I have to scrol allllll the way to the bottom. Thats very annoying.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Wow, that's impressive.

+1, mostly.

nicely done

Yeah, putting all the cantrips at PHB description would be fine, too. Although it still favors attack roll cantrips over save cantrips due to the ease of getting advantage now.

It does. Which is the problem with homebrew rules -- they have unintended consequences.

Like you I really like shove and hide because that replicates what you can do with a real life DM -- if you are creative enough the DM should just fudge the dice roll and declare your I push the boulder onto the ogre maneuver successful.

I'm hoping we get a "Solasta" mode or even a "choose your own homebrew" set of options. Keep shove, remove surface effects on cantrips . . .

S
addict
addict
S

It does. Which is the problem with homebrew rules -- they have unintended consequences.

Just wait until Larian actually opens up the Player's Handbook and discovers they have not only kicked class balance in the groin, they have broken the Barbarian class (Reckless Attack) by their radical homebrew. Hoping Larian sees the error of their ways instead of doubling down triggering an avalanche of homebrew to fix their tampering.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by feedback_wizard
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Great suggestions. I agree to every one except the last one.

About dice rolling. I want to see all the actual dice rolling on the lower left side of the screen where the attack breakdown is. It needlessly shows the percentage there for a second time as we can already see it on mouseover on the target. It would be especially important seeing Advantage / Disadvantage rolls there. I want to see the proof I failed a 94% shot. =)

Wait your attack break down is on the lower left side? How did you move it there? For me, the window is on the bottom right. And botteom left is where my party portraits are.

Also something that should be added is combat-text window should automatically scroll to the bottom and keep scrolling if you have it open. Every time I want to check dice rolls in combat, I open the text window and then I have to scrol allllll the way to the bottom. Thats very annoying.

Not the full log but the little window on the left that shows modifiers like Advantage / Disadvantage, High Ground, Dim Light, Outside normal range etc. There's a circular graph with a repeat of the attack percentage. Use that little window for showing the dice rolls rather than showing the same percentage in two places. Put the circle graph that highlights advantage and disadvantage next to the target instead.

veteran
veteran
I feel like the majority of points are valid, reasonable, and practical. There are some points that deserve special attention, and these are:

6. YEES fuck this shit I hated it back in DOS2 and I hate it now what the fuck is wrong with you what the hell why keep the trap after it sat off only to make me annoyed and miserable?
9. every action that can only affect self should activate once you click on it. everything else is just stupid and annoying design.
24. Item interface is something many developers struggle with, but there have been better systems in other games. don't bang your head against the wall Larian.
about the second list:
15: I was actually quite vocal in my hatred for random encounters. However, your idea here is quite brilliant. you kill two birds with one stone - add random encounter and prevent players from abusing camp rest.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
+1

Great list!

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
+1 to all

journeyman
journeyman
This is an excellent, thoughtful list of improvements, and many of them are super solid suggestions. Most lists are whining and poorly thought out complaints that help no one- this one ought to be considered carefully by Larian as it's quite on point.

I would add that it would be great to see the addition of camping inside dungeons "for the night", with an addition of a chance for an encounter. Combine this with the option of setting a guard who does not rest, to avoid surprise, and this would do away with a lot of the unrealistic feel of "jumping to camp". Make Base camp available only when it's reasonable close by.

Requiring food when you rest would also be very nice. Make it an option for a "hardcore" game mode, maybe, with arrows that one needs to buy and carry.

I love the whole idea of the "Base Camp" and the way one gets to know one's companions, can improve the camp's stuff, store things and in the future, no doubt, will be able to craft and cook there. I love the way new hangers-on show up! The way night comes when you decide to end the day is genius...it solves a complex problem most elegantly and easily. It's brilliant game design.

The game is the most RP fun I've had in a long while.

old hand
old hand
Finally, I am ready to post my full, official feedback for the developers. I've played 116 hours so far, and I absolutely LOVE Baldur's Gate 3! I've been obsessed with it since it came out, and all I want to do is keep playing it, watching people play it, and chatting about it on forums and Reddit. It's really, really good so far! I think it has the potential to be the best CRPG ever. I'm not going to use up a lot of post space going on about all the things I like about the game. Just assume that, other than the specific points I raise below, I like EVERYTHING about it.

I have a ton of requests and suggestions here, I kept a lot of notes as I played. If you read these, I really appreciate it! I've organized my points into three sections: Change Requests, Feature Addition Requests, and Bug Reports.

42 OFFICIAL CHANGE REQUESTS:

1. Please rethink the current party control scheme. Often times my characters run around in ridiculous ways, even in dangerous situations. I can’t cast Guidance without the whole party deciding to take a frenzied lap or two. This all comes down to the chain/unchain control system, which, honestly, is not good at all. There’s a reason why almost every other game in this subgenre has a fairly standardized control scheme, except for Larian’s games. Because it’s better. Click an individual character to control that character, drag to select multiple characters (marquee select), only the characters selected move or do anything, and a button that automatically selects all characters. It’s faster, it’s more precise, and it is just proven to work well and be liked by people. All this dragging to chain and unchain is unwieldy and tiresome, and leads to poor control of the game.

2. Please let us set a party formation rather than just have the characters stand wherever they want with no control. This would go along well with the previous request. Lots of other games in this subgenre have this option, people like it, and it would really help.

3. Please change the number of short rests available per long rest. Three would be perfect. While we’re at it, putting some kind of limit or cost to long resting would also be great. But I don’t like timed quests, so I’m not asking for that specifically. Just something that makes us less likely to want to hit the “end day” button after every encounter.

4. Please reduce the number of searchable containers in the game world. Right now, there is an obscene number of them, and most of them are empty. Some players feel compelled to search everything, and it’s honestly not fun at all with this density of searchable, empty containers. I’m not asking you to put things in them, there’s already way too much stuff to take as it is. Just make the bulk of the empty ones un-searchable.

5. Please upgrade the map. I’m hoping that the current in-game map is just a placeholder, as it looks really awful right now. Compared to everything else in the game, it seems very low-effort. And it’s not even very helpful, as instead of clearly showing individual features of the terrain and buildings, it just shows a big . . . mess of pixels.

6. Please make these traps disarmable. I found tons of traps in the game that could not be disarmed, and it was very disappointing, as a Rogue player. There were 23 trap disarm kits (I don’t know why we need these, instead of just using Thieves’ Tools, but whatever) in my inventory at the end of my playthrough, and virtually no traps to disarm. I found at least two trapped chests that couldn’t be disarmed, all those traps in the swamp couldn’t be disarmed, the mines along the side approach to the goblin camp couldn’t be disarmed, the proximity bombs in the Zhentarim hideout couldn’t be disarmed, and so on. Disarming traps is an important part of the D&D style of game for many people, so please make most of the things disarmable.

7. Please fix Sneak Attack. It shouldn’t be a separate ability on the hotbar. It would be much better as a toggle, just like you use for Repelling Blast. This would allow us to potentially Sneak Attack with an offhand attack, with a special arrow shot, with an Opportunity Attack, and so forth. As it should be. Still only once per turn, of course. Also, please roll each of the Sneak Attack dice separately, instead of rolling once and multiplying. It should be consistent damage, not swingy.

8. Please limit offhand attacks to once per round. Right now, the Thief subclass emerges as this obvious damage beast, which is not really what it’s supposed to be. I love the extra bonus action, that’s fantastic, but it should be used for utility purposes, not to make extra attacks that the class shouldn’t have.

9. Please let us Dash with one click. There’s really no reason why, when I click Dash, that I need to see my character dramatically posing while I have to then click again (but not even on the button again, no, I have to move the cursor to the playfield and only then click again . . . for no reason). Hide is one click. Why can’t Dash be, also?

10. Please separate Jump and Disengage. I actually quite like the fact that Disengage is now a bonus action for everyone, but it shouldn’t be tied to jumping. Jumping should not take any action at all, it should just take up some of your movement.

11. Please change the way we select spell levels from the hotbar. Instead of filling our bars with tons of different versions of each spell (I mean, how absurd is it gonna be when we have up to 5th level spells?), we should just be able to click on a single icon per spell, and then a sub-menu opens up to choose the casting level. Just like how Hex works now.

12. Please allow us to walk through our own allies during combat. Obviously we wouldn’t be able to stop inside their space, but moving through them would solve a lot of annoying situations where one character blocks every other character from getting to an area.

13. Please add more information to item tooltips. They should tell us what an item does. Food heals you, but the tooltips don’t even say that. Some mechanics should be communicated more strongly on item tooltips as well, such as the fact that wearing non-proficient armor will give you a penalty to all attack rolls. Players need this information.

14. Please upgrade the combat log both functionally and visually. It should remain at the size we set, it should not close itself without our permission, it should always start at the bottom rather than requiring us to scroll down to the bottom whenever we open it. Let us see the rolls in the log without having to mouse over, and show both die results whenever Advantage or Disadvantage is rolled. For a good idea of how the combat log could be dramatically improved, please just look at Solasta’s combat log and take some ideas from that.

15. Please show the roll (either in the combat log, or as a pop-up such as when disarming the 5% of traps that you can actually disarm) when lockpicking. We need to know whether we failed due to a low roll, or failed because the difficulty is high.

16. Please make the vision cones more visible in all environments. Or at least, give us a settings option to increase their visibility. In some places, they can be very hard to see clearly.

17. Please change the fact that activating Dash instantly breaks Hide and Invisibility. This especially makes no sense given the fact that you can activate Dash first, and then Hide, and still move at double speed while Hiding.

18. Please improve the AI of enemies when you are Hiding. Right now they mostly just stand around and wait to die if you are hidden. This is pretty bad. They should come searching for the hidden character(s), or go take cover somewhere, or do something sensible. Right now, you can’t even play a stealthy hit-and-run playstyle without automatically exploiting an obvious failure in the AI, which is not fun.

19. Please reduce the distance at which someone is considered Threatened a bit. Right now, it’s conspicuously far. It feels bad to have a penalty to ranged attacks and see that the enemy is not really very close to you at all.

20. Please change it so that a foe who is sleeping or paralyzed does not Threaten anyone.

21. Please do not let combat end until no character is making death saves. If someone is still making death saves, the combat state should persist. This will prevent characters dying while auto-triggered cutscenes happen after a battle, or players suddenly having to rush and aid their fallen friend(s) in real-time after a fight ends.

22. Please make the objects/features found with Perception checks more obvious to the player. Sometimes you have no idea what your character just “found”, and it can be very difficult to figure it out. Our character succeeded at Perception, so we as the player shouldn’t also need to.

23. Please make all torches automatically lit when equipped. We can already magically light any candle, brazier, ensconced torch, or campfire just by clicking on it, so obviously we have the means of starting fires at will. There is no reason to make us go through the step of dipping the torch (especially since we can drop a candle and light it without an action) in a pre-existing flame. No one wants to carry around an unlit torch, there is never any reason to do that, so the unlit version of the torch item just shouldn’t even exist.

24. Please improve the functionality of the camp stash. Instead of just being a tiny little container window, make it a larger panel, with full sorting and filtering options. Once you have a lot of things in the current stash, it becomes a huge pain to deal with it.

25. Please allow Mage Hand to open containers and flip switches. If it can Shove an ogre, it should be able to manage those tasks. Also, Mage Hand really probably shouldn’t remain out of combat while the party is currently in combat.

26. Please allow us to buy and sell at merchants using the Charisma bonus of the best Charisma in the party. Shuffling 50 items around to your party face just so you can get a good price for them, every time you go to sell, is incredibly tedious and unnecessary.

27. Please allow us to “downgrade” a regular action to a bonus action if we want to. If we can attack and drink a potion, it doesn’t make sense that we can’t Shove and drink a potion. If we can Disengage and cast Cure Wounds, it doesn’t make sense that we can’t Disengage and cast Healing Word.

28. Please remove the ability to consume food during combat. This is not Skyrim. It destroys credulity to imagine taking the time to wolf down a whole pig’s head or rack of ribs in a couple of seconds, while fighting for your life. The ability to eat in combat also very much devalues both healing potions and actual cast healing spells.

29. Please remove the ability of any character to use magical scrolls. Only people of the appropriate class should be able to do it. If a non-caster wants to use certain scrolls, they should be able to do it after taking the Magic Initiate feat. A character’s class should matter more than how many consumable items they have in their backpack.

30. Please remove the ability of Wizards to copy non-Wizard spells into their spellbook. Preserve class identity and roles. The Wizard should not be casting Healing Word and Bless.

31. Please allow us to dip in our nearby ally’s equipped and lit torch. If we can put our magic blades of instant ignition in a candle’s flame or a torch on the ground, we should be able to use our friend’s conveniently held up burning beacon.

32. Please make spears Versatile, as they should be. Spear and shield is a classic fighting style.

33. Please change it so that UN-Hiding does not use up your bonus action. As in, you are Hidden already, and you hit the Hide button, and it makes you not Hidden anymore. That shouldn’t take your action. Along the same lines, please change it so that attempting to Hide, but being not allowed to because an enemy is looking at you, also does not use up your bonus action.

34. Please update the Sneak Attack tooltip to show the correct number of bonus dice when we level up. It still says 1d6 even once it has increased to 2d6.

35. Please make the Athletics skill increase jumping distance. Right now it is only Strength, and that makes proficiency in Athletics seem pretty useless. It would be nice for characters who have low Strength to be able to choose proficiency in Athletics to at least get some jumping ability.

36. Please make the Silence spell actually silence things inside its radius. Sound-based attacks, calls for help, drum beats, and the like should be nullified inside a Silence spell. Because that’s what it says on the tin.

37. Please consider letting us read owned books without starting Ragnarok. Not take them, of course that would be stealing. But just reading them without picking them up isn’t too much harm, is it? Your writers put in the work to write those books, don’t shut players who don’t want to anger the locals out of reading so many of them.

38. Please consider showing some love to Sacred Flame. Due to the changes you’ve made to Fire Bolt and Ray of Frost, and your higher ground rules making it very easy for casters of most cantrips to get excellent accuracy now, poor Sacred Flame, the Cleric’s only attack cantrip, is comparatively awful. I don’t think it needs more damage or a higher success chance, but why not take a page from 4th edition’s book (where Sacred Flame originated as a spell) and give it a minor support effect. Hit or miss, casting it could also grant a nearby ally a small number of temporary HP, or a small bonus to saving throws for one round, or something of that nature. This is how it was in 4e, and it befits the support nature of the Cleric class. It will take the sting out of always failing with Sacred Flame, while the Wizard laughs with 95% hit chance from on high while also creating free surfaces with a cantrip.

39. Please take a look at the rewards for the Phase Spider Matriarch encounter. It’s one of the biggest “boss fights” in Act 1, but it doesn’t feel like it when you win. Right now the Matriarch awards 20 XP. Twenty. Two-zero. In addition, there’s no hidden cache of goodies to be found in her lair afterward, just a robe of questionable usefulness.

40. Please change Astarion’s default outfit from padded armor to just plain clothes. The player is going to replace it with leather most likely anyway, but at least he won’t join the party with Disadvantage on Stealth rolls. He’s going to be many people’s only Rogue, and they might expect him to do some sneaking around right away. His outfit doesn’t even look like padded armor. It looks like clothes. So make it clothes.

41. Please make Shadowheart more trickery-y. Her 9 Dexterity is appalling. She’s a medium armor wearer, and supposedly into Trickery. Yet her Dexterity is her lowest score, and she lacks proficiency in Deception. Please raise her Dex (14 would be good), and give her proficiency in Deception. (And also maybe start her with a short bow or crossbow if that’s not asking too much?)

42. Please DON’T change bonus action Disengage, Shove, and Hide. I think they’re fun, and I think in the case of Disengage and Hide, they actually fix bad rules in 5th Edition. People are asking you to change them, but I like it how it is.

23 OFFICIAL FEATURE ADDITION REQUESTS:

1. Please add the ability to target a spell by clicking on the portrait of the character. We can do this is many other games, and I keep trying to, and then it just selects the other character, and it’s a bad day.

2. Please add the Ready action to the game. Let us pick an attack that we will then automatically use on the first target that presents itself in range of that attack. It would make the combat even more tactical and deep, and the AI could use it as well, which could be a good counter to the Hiding hit-and-run strategy that the AI currently does nothing about.

3. Please add the Delay action to the game. We could just click on someone in the Initiative order, and our turn would be moved to just after that character. Again, this would help a lot with tactical coordination and helping us not have to waste turns from time to time when we can’t do a thing until later on in the round.

4. Please add the Dodge action to the game. Just like in 5e rules, it would take a full action but would give attackers Disadvantage against us, and give us Advantage on Dex saves until our next turn. More tactics, again.

5. Please add the ability for us to change which character is speaking/interacting at any time during a dialogue scene. Sometimes the game randomly picks one of my companions for a conversation instead of my main character, and I hate that. Other times, we really want the party member who is good at a certain skill to be able to step up and make that skill check in dialogue.

6. Please add the ability for us to set keybinds for our left-side bar actions, such as Dash and Jump. We already have a keybind for Hide, so it would be really helpful to be able to hotkey the other ones, some of which get a lot of use.

7. Please add the Expertise class feature for Rogues. It’s one of their defining features, Rogues/Thieves have always been the skill class in D&D. They need Expertise to retain that role. Also, maybe give them one more proficient skill at character creation, because right now you can make a Ranger that has more skills than a Rogue, and that steps on the class identity as the skill experts.

8. Please add another type of Cunning Action, to make up for the fact that you gave bonus action Disengage and Hide to everyone. That takes a lot of the Rogue’s specialness away, and only having one Cunning Action (Dash) seems kind of anemic compared to many other class features. My suggestions would be either Cunning Action: Throw (bonus action, once per round), Cunning Action: Dodge (bonus action), or Cunning Action: Hide (once per round can Hide without using any action at all).

9. Please add the ability to take cover behind objects or terrain features by using a bonus action. It could even be combined with Hide. Hide/Take Cover could let you either Hide, if hiding is allowed for you right then, OR you take cover behind an adjacent object or terrain feature. The AI could also use this, of course, which would make combat even more tactical.

10. Please add the ability to use a potion directly on a downed ally. Without throwing it. (I mean, the potion-throwing is fine, I like it, but I’d like to be able to administer a potion directly at close range.)

11. Please add a Use Item button on the right-side hotbar, that brings up a submenu of consumables that we could use, similar to the way the Throw button works on the left-side bar. There tends to be a lot of clutter with different potions and such on the hotbar.

12. Please add some XP for resolving encounters peacefully. It could be half as much as you would get for fighting them, or even less. But it should be something. It feels bad to roleplay your character and avoid violence, only to deprive yourself of all XP for encounters.

13. Please add the option in settings (or directly from the equipment window) to hide our helmets. A lot of us want to see our characters’ hair and faces clearly, and the helmets don’t always look good on the characters.

14. Please consider adding more than one type of difficulty slider. Not just one for combat difficulty, but perhaps one for skill check difficulty, one for resting restrictions, and the one I want the most, which would be some kind of “economic difficulty” setting. This would reduce the number of usable items which drop in the game, and reduce the money you receive for selling items, while increasing how much you pay for items. Some of us feel like there’s just too much loot right now, and it’s overpowering everything. Being able to tone that down on an individual basis, without necessarily changing other elements of difficulty, would be really nice.

15. Please consider adding a random encounter system to the camp. When resting, there could be a chance of being attacked in the camp. Right now it just feels too safe and too fast and too easy to take a long rest at any time.

16. Please add Githzerai as a playable race. You could just have Gith as the base race, with Githyanki and Githzerai subraces. It would be great to see the interactions between a Githzerai and Lae’zel!

17. Please add a use for rope in the game. We find lots of rope, but right now it is useless. An awesome thing to add would be the ability to tie off a rope at certain locations, which could then be climbed up by our other party members like how we can climb ladders and vines now.

18. Please add value to the Acrobatics skill, as so far it seems useless. Specifically, give us an automatic Acrobatics check whenever we would take falling damage, to reduce the damage and stay on our feet instead of falling prone.

19. Please consider adding slings to the game as a weapon. Slings are such an important historical weapon, and they’re just cool. They could provide a nice alternative to crossbows for some classes. They can also be used with a shield, which is very nice.

20. Please consider adding a Search action to the game. This would allow us to spend a few seconds, with a progress bar similar to lockpicking (although searching would take longer) to roll new Perception or Investigation checks in our immediate area. It’s awful when you fail those, and there’s no way to ever find that thing after that. If we could spend 5 or 10 seconds searching, it would feel a lot better and give us the chance to eventually find hidden things at the expense of time.

21. Please add the ability to resize our personal containers (held pouches, backpacks, etc.) by dragging them to our desired size. Those tiny windows for the bags quickly become a pain once you have a lot of items in them.

22. Please add the ability to cancel the Light spell once cast.

23. Please consider making the weird potions from Ethel’s lair usable on throw, so we could toss one at a character and they would be affected by it, similar to how the Potion of Sleep currently works in the game. It would just be a fun little thing, not a big deal.

24 OFFICIAL BUG REPORTS:

1. When we ambush attack someone from out of combat, it should always work if the attack hits. Sometimes when you do this, it initiates a dialogue or just starts combat, but the attacked character takes no damage. Sneak Attack damage should also always be applied in this case if conditions are met. Sometimes this doesn’t work.

2. Sometimes Sneak Attack does not deal its bonus damage, even when we have Advantage and don’t have Disadvantage. This seems to happen almost all the time (or all the time) when attacking from Hiding, with only that as an Advantage source. Backstab and higher ground usually work, but “threatened by our ally” and attacking from Hiding often do not.

3. Enemies are often “obscured by shadows” even though they are standing right next to a light source. This rarely happens with Dancing Lights, but it does happen with torches on the ground often, and the Light spell sometimes.

4. Entering the spores in the Underdark launches a cutscene, but if this happens with a lone, Hiding character, it should not break their stealth and immediately summon their entire party to that spot. It especially should not do this in such a way that it aggros a Minotaur, who then comes over and starts killing our party in real time while we are still stuck in the aforementioned cutscene.

5. Failures on lockpicking are using up two Thieves’ Tools instead of one.

6. The “Mobile Foe” effect from the Mobile feat does not seem to always work. Sometimes enemies still make an Opportunity Attack against the Mobile character even after the “Mobile Foe” effect has been applied.

7. Sometimes loading a save where characters were heavily encumbered results in them not being encumbered anymore, even while still carrying 747 pounds of stuff.

8. Using the Boots of Speed item’s "Click Heels" ability with Cunning Action: Dash and regular Dash actually REMOVES one of the Dashes, instead of adding to it. (So I can move 150 feet with two Dashes, but the third Dash actually brings it down to 100 feet.)

9. The “Masterwork Weapon” quest does not update in the journal after acquiring Sussur Bark.

10. The property of the Shortsword of First Blood item does not seem to work at all.

11. The “Investigate Kagha / Fight the Shadow Druids” quest doesn’t update in the journal even after finishing it.

12. Gale's companion quest (Wizard of Waterdeep) just mysteriously disappears from the journal at some point, for no discernable reason. It never comes back, even when pop-up text on the screen says that it has been updated.

13. In dialogue, Shadowheart mentions possibly using Ethel as a healer, even after we've killed Ethel.

14. In dialogue, Shadowheart mentions the goblin Gut even before we have ever met or heard of such a goblin.

15. In dialogue, Shadowheart still talks about going to Gut even after we've killed her.

16. In dialogue, Astarion at the party talks about how he killed a bunch of goblins, even if he was never in the party when we fought goblins.

17. If you take Astarion to kill the monster hunter, he has nothing to say about it afterward.

18. No matter how many Create Water spells and water barrels you use on the fire upstairs in the Waukeen's Rest inn, it never really goes out, it just keeps spreading anyway.

19. There is a book on a shelf on the second floor of the Waukeen's Rest inn, just by the stairs, that says that you cannot reach it no matter what, even if you stand on a crate inches away from it. (Also a bottle of wine and a painting on the wall there, same thing.)

20. Shadowheart's Mysterious Artifact keeps randomly moving to the main character's inventory on its own.

21. After going back to camp, the “Rescue the Grand Duke” quest updates in the journal to say "we didn't rescue anyone from the inn", despite the fact that we did rescue both possible people from the inn.

22. Having Wyll's eye in your possession does not give you any options to speak with Wyll about it in dialogue.

23. Sometimes the Bulette in the Underdark bugs out on the screen and doesn’t go away. It also doesn’t start combat, instead it just puts the game into turn-based mode except no one can act or pass turn and you’re just stuck like that forever. This happens seemingly every time on a certain ramp leading down, a bit northwest of the Selunite fort.

24. The “Kill Anders” quest will not complete in the journal after killing him. It still says to return to tell Karlach, but no matter how many times you tell her, the quest always stays uncompleted.

And that's it! This was really a lot, so if you read it all, thank you so much! I hope that the amazing developers at Larian Studios will consider making some of these changes.

Hell yeah!!! Wonderful list!!!! <3

addict
addict
Fabulous list...far better than mine or anyone else's that I have seen. Not commenting on things I agree with. Please update/add to your list as you deem appropriate. THANKS for the work on this!!!!

42.3 Only as a difficulty type setting.
42.4 or flag them as empty when using ALT key like looted corpses?
42.9 Apply to all self spells/abilities
42.12 then enemies would do the same which I don't like.
42.14&15 and we need to see ALL rolls/effects/etc.
42.21&22 YES YES YES YES YES LoL
42.26 Or at least whoever initiated the dialog
42.28 IMO fine as is if you consider it the same as a healing potion. If not, remove the mechanic entirely and make healing potions more available. You shouldn't HAVE to run a cleric.
42.35 I am fine with strength dictating jump distance (if that's in 5e) Shouldn't athletics or acrobatics reduce the chance of going prone and taking damage?
42.38 The problem is the DEX save and every mob having high DEX for AC instead of getting it from gear.

23.10 You can throw potions at downed allies? 324 hours and no clue about this. Please add to the tutorial?
23.14 I think this should apply to LOTS of suggestions people are making. Another example would be for a Cheese the Dialog option. Some people are just going to reload until they make the right roll, why make them jump through hoops.
23.15 Only thing so far I hate. If added, include in difficulty settings to enable/disable.
23.16 I am hoping this is an EA thing and we get lots more races/subraces
23.18 see 42.35
23.21 You actually use those?
23.22 Should apply to all self/party cast effects.

Bugs you missed:
Even when Zara? in the Zhent HQ says you are friends, the trader still says she needs to make you a friend before he can show you the good stuff.
When the party is up on things and you click someplace low, the rest of the party paths correctly, but the selected character frequently shimmies down and jumps off stuff taking fall damage
If you successfully damage "US" he has 11 HP. As soon as you leave that room, he is back up to 21.

Features:
You kind of touched on this, but if you jump across something, party members should too. "US" does, why not everyone else?
Not sure if it should be part of 42.1 but why do party members (esp low health ones) path through or stand in "poo" taking damage, being ensnared, etc. out of combat
This is a gripe about most CRPGs. If I fight an imp w/ a crossbow, why no crossbow in inventory? All used items should be lootable.

Last edited by RumRunner151; 05/11/20 11:30 PM.
stranger
stranger
Wonderful write-up, thank you! I agree with all of these (especially #11 from "42 OFFICIAL CHANGE REQUESTS"!) except for:

42 OFFICIAL CHANGE REQUESTS:
#27) Action economy in D&D 5e is importation. Perhaps instead we should tone down the amount of abilities which count as bonus actions (see #42). wink
#38) Instead of making sacred flame stronger, instead nerf the other cantrips to be more like the D&D 5e rules intended (e.g. remove ground effect from ray of frost and acid splash unless combined with another effect (e.g. water + ray of frost)). Cantrips aren't supposed to be as strong (or stronger, in some cases) than a 1st level or higher spell. The ease of advantage/disadvantage would also need to be fixed (another thread offers to just provide +2/-2 as cover does, so you still get a bonus for high ground, but not the +5/-5 that advantage/disadvantage equate to).
#42) I'm on the fence for this, they're fun in the game, but as others in this thread (and other threads) point out, they infringe on the rogue's abilities and are a bit overpowered being bonus actions (especially shove when near a ledge and my wizard/warlock always being hidden with hide).

23 OFFICIAL FEATURE ADDITION REQUESTS:
#2) Ready would most efficiently be fixed by just adding #3 (Delay), IMO. It'd be hard to program in a reasonable number of options for "I ready my Action to do X".

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Though I agree with many of your points, I strongly disagree on this:

42. Please DON’T change bonus action Disengage, Shove, and Hide. I think they’re fun, and I think in the case of Disengage and Hide, they actually fix bad rules in 5th Edition. People are asking you to change them, but I like it how it is.

Shove is an attack and thus has to be an action. Disengage and hide as bonus actions infringe on the rogue (and monk to a lesser degree), therefore they need to be actions not bonus actions for everyone else.

38. Please consider showing some love to Sacred Flame. Due to the changes you’ve made to Fire Bolt and Ray of Frost, and your higher ground rules making it very easy for casters of most cantrips to get excellent accuracy now, poor Sacred Flame, the Cleric’s only attack cantrip, is comparatively awful. I don’t think it needs more damage or a higher success chance, but why not take a page from 4th edition’s book (where Sacred Flame originated as a spell) and give it a minor support effect. Hit or miss, casting it could also grant a nearby ally a small number of temporary HP, or a small bonus to saving throws for one round, or something of that nature. This is how it was in 4e, and it befits the support nature of the Cleric class. It will take the sting out of always failing with Sacred Flame, while the Wizard laughs with 95% hit chance from on high while also creating free surfaces with a cantrip.

The correct thing to do is to remove surface creation from cantrips unless they are specifically targeting the ground (or an existing surface of course) and remove or at least lower the bonus from being on high ground for spells. The last thing I want is any of the 4th ed. stuff.

I know that many people disagree with me about the house rules that Larian have implemented, most of which I actually like, or at least don't mind. It's almost all people who are into 5e D&D. I wonder how many of the actual complete audience of this game will be 5e D&D players. Based on Twitch streamers playing the game, it looks like a fairly small percentage. Ask some general video gamers who know nothing of D&D, "Would you like to be able to get away from an enemy, AND attack on your turn? Or just get away from the enemy and then do nothing else on your turn?" What do you think most of them are going to say?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard