Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
addict
addict
Vampire TM is favorite Tabletop. Wished they explored the franchise more in videogames.

Redemption had a very nice atmosphere, characters and voice-acting. It is hidden gem. Much more action than RPG.

Bloodlines is interesting but buggy. Really hopeful for Bloodlines 2.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 05/11/20 07:42 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Obsidian is clearly the best studio for me. I can see some might consider them overrated because they didn't make a truly great game in many years but they DID make KOTOR 2 and FNV

Obsidian is also the most promising because Avowed is coming, shame they had to release POE 2 first to realize that paying homage to the old infinity engine games over and over doesn't pay but better late than never

Bethesda is clearly the most overrated, I didn't truly enjoy any of their games, they are good at building open worlds but they fill them with shit content and story

CDPR is also a bit overrated. I loved Witcher 1 but can't say I'm happy how TW2 a TW3 turned out but I can see how normies could enjoy them.

As for Bioware the less to say about them the better. Last game they made that was actually good was what? KOTOR 1? And even that was later completely overshadowed by KOTOR 2 even though it was released unfinished.

My top 3 RPGs are:
Witcher 1
FNV
KOTOR 2

Larian should take a close look at KOTOR 2 It is based on DND but it is clearly unique. It has turn based combat that looks and feels good (more spells, animations etc. than KOTOR 1) And it managed it without constntly throwing fire under your feet or abusing verticality.

Last edited by eLeF; 05/11/20 07:47 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Best RPG studio of all times: At first, I wanted to answer Bioware, but then I thought about it some, slept on it and came into conclusion that the people who made Bioware successful are long gone, replaced by EAs lackeys. Bioware of the past has made some of the most memorable games that redefined the term cRPG, but lately, thanks to the evil daddy EA they are stuck using engines that aren't really made for RPGs, so they have to battle with them to modify them. Sure, their current games look gorgeous, but are empty shells compared to some of their older work, based on the depth of the stories and the characters. So for me, personally the winner is Obsidian. Sure, they have quite a lot of bad to mediocre games under their belt, but they also aren't afraid to experiment to push their own creative boundaries. The best example I can give is: Bioware, recently has gotten lazy and sticks to their true and tested cookie cutter formula of game writing and design, they are desperately trying to recreate and recapture their own glory days while streamlining their stories and game mechanics as much as possible, meanwhile Obsidian has taken a lot of risks, they don't just stick to what worked in the past, no, they do their best to try to reinvent the wheel, for better or for worse. Not to mention all the times Obsidian has been royally screwed over, it's a wonder they haven't capitulated and called it a day. What I am really hoping for, is that daddy Microsoft won't become the next EA. Given enough time and resources to flourish, I do truly believe that Obsidian might just enter their truly golden era - and they deserve it.

Best RPG game series: Baldur's Gate of course. Although, original Fallouts are also amazing, it's too bad the series have been perverted beyond recognition.

Best RPG for modders: Skyrim.

Best RPG for normies: Skyrim.

Most Overrated Studio: Bethesda - let's get this straight - they have some of the biggest RPG titles out there, but lack creativity to do anything with them, aside from constant reusing of the same game engine they used since Morrowind (slightly modified to graphically look better and better). Their games, once modded and/or fixed by their players are enjoyable enough I guess, but I hate it how it's the community that has to do the heavy lifting for them. Their last good RPG, in my opinion has been Morrowind. At the time of it's release, it was revolutionary, but ever since then they're been recreating the same type of game under different title, they are taking 0 risks and it shows.

Most Promising Studio: Now this is a hard one for me, but I actually think Larian deserves this title. They've been going at it for ages now, I remember when I was a kid with no PC and saw my cousin play this cool game called ... Divine Divinity. And later to realize that both DOS games are prequels/sequel type of deal. BUT I have one criticism to DOS - too much fighting and too little story, what story there is - it's good, but my main problem is that you gotta go through hours of combat to get to the next story bit, and sure, turn based combat is enjoyable, but not when 1 simple fight is a waste of minimum of 5 mins because the AI takes it's sweet ass time plotting the next move... It's the main reason I haven't been able to finish both of them. But I guess before BG3 is done, I will have enough time to actually power through both DOS just to actually see the stories unfold for myself. My main problem with these types of games is that I have to discover every corner of the map, even if there is absolutely nothing there to see. I am a true anal OCD completionist and that tends to tire me out on certain types of games.

The one Game that has Everything Baldur's Gate 3 needs to become a legend: Oof, another hard one for me. But I would say, gameplay wise it's doing fine (could nerf the surfaces though), improve the thinking speed of the AI (getting DOS flashbacks) but... one game that would turn BG3 into legendary status? NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, I know a lot of people think "eww, NWN2 is trash' or 'boooring' and I agree, the base game was kinda lackluster, but MotB is one of the most epic stories I have ever played through, it's really up there on the lvl of BG2 and Planescape Torment... the only downside it's an expansion, so it's kinda short and you don't have many romance choices because of that, but there is so much in it! All the planar travel (Fugue plane, shadow Mulsantir, can we please get shadow Baldur's Gate? with all the Shar plots it would make some sense), dark force threatening to devour the main char from within...in BG3 it could be the tadpole maybe? Then all my complaints about lack of a main villain on the lvl of Sarevok or Irenicus would be gone. I mean, tadpole being the end boss of BG3 would be fun, but the problem I have with that is - companions and their tadpoles, would we have to fight 4 tadpole bosses in our minds? I don't think it would be that simple. But story wise... I can't state enough how good that game is.

My favorite game of all times: Baldur's Gate 2. It's old and I don't give a damn. I still make it a point to replay it once every couple of years. Just to keep my memory fresh.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by vometia

Similar to me (well, except without The Recording of Stuff). I prefer to take my time and explore, and re-explore to see if I've missed anything or just because I feel like it and want to look at the scenery, and to generally faff about and go on random tangents and stuff. Speed-runs are a real anathema to my play-style; as is the risk of doing quests in the wrong order...

Yeah, this. You can't JUST talk to every NPC. You have to talk to every NPC multiple times, to see if there's new dialogue. And sometimes I do spend a long time looking at scenery.

I've bounced off Tyranny because all marketing was "play an evil character" and that's just not where my fun times lie. Dark story, I can do with...but not flat out villain.

You actually don't have to be an evil character. You can rebel against the evil people and help the "good" people. You have a position within the evil empire, but you can actually decide to use your power for good, and eventually stand up against your evil overlords.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DayVlad73
They have the complete NWN2 on gog for 20 american bux so imay do it just because but honestly if it lags like NWN remastered does i probably wont touch it because of the way it runs ...I just hope it runs better than the 1st one which I bought for xbone 1 these were of course pre PC days... ha I mean does it have better dated graphics than NWN1???

In my opinion, NWN2 has MUCH better graphics than NWN. Much. I mean, by today's standards, they're still not great graphics, but they don't hurt my soul to look at like NWN. (Which I still love, in spite of the fact that it looks like seven miles of bad road.)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Verte
Tyranny pushed me to read Black Company series (not very popular dark fantasy books in my country) after I found out Soulcatcher was inspiration for the Voices of Nerat. So good to have games like this.

The Black Company series is great!

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I wanted to address this point before but forgot, so here it is - About Bethesda-

They used to be some very highly regarded studio, but I doubt they still are. The best thing about Fallout 4 was the fact it was created with Skyrim's engine, which allowed mod makers to actually fix it's broken story. Since it is still mods, the story still feels like a big mass, and the game is very flawed. Since then Bethesda released the very hated Fallout 77 which was really a bug-ridden expensive nothing. Bethesda is very lucky to have the modding community to fix their games lol.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
T
addict
addict
T
One RPG I've been having a lot fun with recently is CrossCode...which is an indie puzzle-platformer/action RPG. One of the developers I believe is one of the people in the RPG Maker community that is known for doing high-quality bits and the game has a bit of that visual style of classic JRPGs. Though, again, it's an action RPG and not at all turn-based. Lots of dodging and switching modes. The puzzles are very clever, the music is amazing, and it's actually rather relaxing to just get on and wander about exploring, looking for some of the hidden optional jump-puzzles, fighting the enemies, and just generally experiencing the game.

Storyline is that it is far future and there is a planet, I forget the name of it, where a continent has been set aside as "The Playground". Here people will connect to Avatars generated by something called "Instant Matter" and basically have full-on MMO in actual physical place. This MMO is called "CrossWorld". After a short prologue where you play some lady called "Shizuka" trying to find her brother, you wake up as "Lea" on a ship outside of the Playground proper and told you're going to be put into the game because you have amnesia and the one thing they are sure of is that you had been a player in this game and maybe playing it will get your memory back.

Also, Lea is sort of mute. This is explained as a problem with a neuro-interface and once or twice other "players" will comment that they thought that didn't happen anymore. Over the course of the game, the tech guy supporting Lea will manages to program in a new word here and there (I'm...maybe halfway through the base game and I have, I think, 7 words.) It's both a wonderful bit of poking at the silent protagonist and a bit of representation for people are actually mute (the friend who introduced me to the game occasionally suffers from selective mutism and really loves this game). Lea's dialogue art is extremely expressive and she somehow manages to be extremely snarky even with a very limited vocabulary. Her expression when an NPC responds to her silence or single word replies as if she'd said a paragraph are especially amusing.

I'm not usually a fan of games with set characters (hence why there aren't that many JRPGs on my list) but this game is just delightful. The story has unexpected depths though it is not a branching storyline. And I just love Lea and the first friend she encounters among other players. Just very fun all around.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by eLeF
Obsidian is clearly the best studio for me. I can see some might consider them overrated because they didn't make a truly great game in many years but they DID make KOTOR 2 and FNV.

Err... PoE1 and PoE2 are pretty recent releases.

addict
addict
Most promising studio is very hard to answer. I put Obsidian because Avowed but Larian and Spiders are just as promising.

I just didn't understand why Spiders is coming up with a new IP when Greedfall got so close to greatness. A sequel with more complex mechanics and bigger scope (and now they have the money to do it) could be the RPG of the year.

Last edited by Danielbda; 05/11/20 09:23 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Most promising studio is very hard to answer. I put Obsidian because Avowed but Larian and Spiders are just as promising.

I just didn't understand why Spiders is coming up with a new IP when Greedfall got so close to greatness. A sequel with more complex mechanics and bigger scope (and now they have the money to do it) could be the RPG of the year.

Well, Technomancer shared world with their older production Mars War Logs so there is still a chance for colonial expansion in the future. ;-)

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

That's actually very good news. Means we have a lot of great games to look forward to.

I really hope CD project won't stay at the FPS games sphere for life. same hope for Obsidian. if Avowed won't be FP only, I'll probably play and enjoy it. And of course, we have Larian, that hopefully will keep evolving and perfecting their formula. or try something completely new (as they like to do), but this time with much more resources

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits

That's actually very good news. Means we have a lot of great games to look forward to.

I really hope CD project won't stay at the FPS games sphere for life. same hope for Obsidian. if Avowed won't be FP only, I'll probably play and enjoy it. And of course, we have Larian, that hopefully will keep evolving and perfecting their formula. or try something completely new (as they like to do), but this time with much more resources

Would be better news if Spiders stuck with Greedfall.
Again, that game was huge for them, it was like PoE for Obsidian or DoS to Larian. It was one of the best selling games of the year, it made their profit go up 400%, why not invest in it?

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Would be better news if Spiders stuck with Greedfall.
Again, that game was huge for them, it was like PoE for Obsidian or DoS to Larian. It was one of the best selling games of the year, it made their profit go up 400%, why not invest in it?

Oh I definitely agree about Spiders. Greedfall was very rough around the edges, but it was so interesting and had such a unique and interesting setting... I don't get them.

T
addict
addict
T
Regarding favorite RPG companions....hrrm, this will be hard:

Neeshka (NWN2) - Neeshka is the best rogue companion I've ever had in a game. And she is just adorable. Neeshka is best girl...and if her company leader would stop touching things before she can check them for traps all would be right with the world.

Emilie-Sophie de Belmond aka "Emilienator" - Emilie is amazing. She is the first friend Lea makes in the game and despite the fact it takes her forever to figure out that Lea can't talk much, she is definitely supportive. She is also very competitive in a friendly and non-toxic manner.

Gobbet (Shadowrun: Hong Kong) - Gobbet is an orc rat shaman who is about 19 years old or so. And she is just....an absolute disaster of a person. Reckless, haphazard, friendly, competent, loyal, but more than a little crazy. To be honest, she's sort of the same type of character as Neeshka...though much filthier and more emotionally resilient. (stuff that should be trauma just seems to roll off her like water off a duck's back)

Linu La'Neral (NWN/NWN:HoU) - So, this is another disaster character. Hugely accident prone. Every chapter where you meet her she has a new story of bizarre Rube-Goldbergian disaster that happened since she last saw you. Also she makes undead go Bzzat!

Shandra Jerro (NWN2) - She's a great person who gets drawn into your story through no fault of her own and if there were any justice in the world she would have appeared in Mask of the Betrayer.

Glory (Shadowrun: Dragonfall) - Glory's story....is just so poignant. It is such a well-written story and....I can't say too much without spoiling. Just the sheer weight of her emotional fatigue becomes clearer and clearer the more you know her. And it felt so refreshing to get her some level of closure.

Deekin (NWN:SoU / NWN:HoU) - Deekin is the infamous kobold bard and there is an innocence to the way he talks about things that is just so charming. Let me be clear about what I mean by innocence. Deekin is very friendly and doesn't ever seem to act with evil intent, but at the same time, he takes some activities and situations for granted which any other character would discuss with either fear or sinister attitude.

Hommet Shaw (Sword Coast Legends) - How does one get exiled by the Harpell family? Hommet is the answer to that question. Oh my goodness, he almost feels like he belongs in Discworld. Partying with him is like an exercise in amusing absurdity.

Neera (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2) - I do seem have a thing for disaster characters. Neera is just really a fun character to have around, I was really amused by the way she introduced herself and just the way she has mixes constant anxiety with idealism and optimism just is a mood.

T
addict
addict
T

Oh I definitely agree about Spiders. Greedfall was very rough around the edges, but it was so interesting and had such a unique and interesting setting... I don't get them.

On the balance I enjoyed Greedfall....but I have trouble deciding if the social commentary aspect is too much or too little and have basically decided that it was just extremely unpolished.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Regarding favorite RPG companions....hrrm, this will be hard:

Neeshka (NWN2) - Neeshka is the best rogue companion I've ever had in a game. And she is just adorable. Neeshka is best girl...and if her company leader would stop touching things before she can check them for traps all would be right with the world.

Emilie-Sophie de Belmond aka "Emilienator" - Emilie is amazing. She is the first friend Lea makes in the game and despite the fact it takes her forever to figure out that Lea can't talk much, she is definitely supportive. She is also very competitive in a friendly and non-toxic manner.

Gobbet (Shadowrun: Hong Kong) - Gobbet is an orc rat shaman who is about 19 years old or so. And she is just....an absolute disaster of a person. Reckless, haphazard, friendly, competent, loyal, but more than a little crazy. To be honest, she's sort of the same type of character as Neeshka...though much filthier and more emotionally resilient. (stuff that should be trauma just seems to roll off her like water off a duck's back)

Linu La'Neral (NWN/NWN:HoU) - So, this is another disaster character. Hugely accident prone. Every chapter where you meet her she has a new story of bizarre Rube-Goldbergian disaster that happened since she last saw you. Also she makes undead go Bzzat!

Shandra Jerro (NWN2) - She's a great person who gets drawn into your story through no fault of her own and if there were any justice in the world she would have appeared in Mask of the Betrayer.

Glory (Shadowrun: Dragonfall) - Glory's story....is just so poignant. It is such a well-written story and....I can't say too much without spoiling. Just the sheer weight of her emotional fatigue becomes clearer and clearer the more you know her. And it felt so refreshing to get her some level of closure.

Deekin (NWN:SoU / NWN:HoU) - Deekin is the infamous kobold bard and there is an innocence to the way he talks about things that is just so charming. Let me be clear about what I mean by innocence. Deekin is very friendly and doesn't ever seem to act with evil intent, but at the same time, he takes some activities and situations for granted which any other character would discuss with either fear or sinister attitude.

Hommet Shaw (Sword Coast Legends) - How does one get exiled by the Harpell family? Hommet is the answer to that question. Oh my goodness, he almost feels like he belongs in Discworld. Partying with him is like an exercise in amusing absurdity.

Neera (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2) - I do seem have a thing for disaster characters. Neera is just really a fun character to have around, I was really amused by the way she introduced herself and just the way she has mixes constant anxiety with idealism and optimism just is a mood.

Very nice! Several of these would also be on my list. Gobbet, Shandra Jerro, Glory, and Deekin for sure. Linu was pretty cool too, though NWN doesn't give companions a ton of development, and Neeshka was all right. I found Neeshka a little too boilerplate, but she was still a good companion. But before any of those would be Dak'kon, Fall-From-Grace, Annah, and Nordom from Planescape: Torment. And Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Dak'kon, Fall-From-Grace, Annah, and Nordom from Planescape: Torment. And Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium.

No love for Morte? D:

veteran
veteran

Let's talk companions

In general I prefer companions with gradual development, and good integration with world/story/themes. In short companions that immediately “pop”, but fails to be relevant or developed (Kingmaker, Baldur’s Gates, D:OS1&2) don’t stay in my memory as much.

The best recent ensemble cast for me was Pillars Of Eternity1. Varied companions with compelling ways of developing them - well representing world, history and themes. Best companions act as resonating boards that amplify game’s story and conflict. PoE1 final revelation wouldn’t hit nearly as hard, if not for an excellent companions whom this reveal is personally relevant. Little back&forth between Thaos and the party of my choice is always rewarding. Favourites: Durance. Such a horrible being, such a satisfying payoff, Edér - I want him to be my bro, Sagani - just liked her journey, and I find it compelling to interact with a companion who has her own life/family, I think that is a bit that a lot of modern RPG loose and that was present in BG2. By making all companions romancable, who those companions can be becomes rather limited - and absurd if you put all companions together.

Other, singular standout is Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium - a nuanced and subtle companion. Best companions feel like actual beings, and Kim is outstanding in that regards. Still, I think skills in DE should count as companions as well - they are great too.

From classics - Planescape. Morte for life! And Dak’kon

Last edited by Wormerine; 05/11/20 11:27 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Verte
Dak'kon, Fall-From-Grace, Annah, and Nordom from Planescape: Torment. And Kim Kitsuragi from Disco Elysium.

No love for Morte? D:

Oh shit I forgot Morte somehow! I feel bad now, Morte is awesome. Of course Morte goes on the list.

Some other ones I liked would be:

- Rhin, Erritis, and Matkina from Tides of Numenera
- Verse, Lantry, and Sirin from Tyranny
- Eder, Grieving Mother, and Devil of Caroc from Pillars of Eternity
- Linzi, Ekundayo, and Amiri from Kingmaker
- Imoen, Minsc, and Viconia from Baldur's Gate
- Mazzy Fentan from Baldur's Gate 2
- Racter and Gaichu (and of course Gobbet as mentioned before) from Shadowrun: Hong Kong
- Khelgar Ironfist from Neverwinter Nights 2
- Kaelyn the Dove and Okku from Mask of the Betrayer
- Parvati and Vicar Max from The Outer Worlds
- Alistair, Oghren, Sten, Shale, and Leliana (and the dog) from Dragon Age Origins
- Stephen Heck (kinda a companion) from Alpha Protocol
- Amadea and Kalden from Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard