Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Basically what the title says, since there are Gunslingers in 5e D&D (Which I had no idea there were cause I'm not very knowledgeable about D&D) can we create on in-game? I recently finished Steven Kings' The Dark Tower series and would love to make a character that's part of that world.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I don't believe that 5e has adopted the Gunslinger as a class. It might go that way, but I (for one) hope not.

Pathfinder had a rake of firearms-related classes and they never really sat properly with me. I'm happy enough with an early arquebus making an appearance (and an appropriate handful of Feats to accompany it), but PF was definitely straying into the Wild West Gunfighter genre with some of their later additions.

S
addict
addict
S
Gunslinger aren’t officially a part of the Dungeons & Dragons game. This brings steampunk into the setting and would likely prefer a 100k other implementations before this one tbh.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
don't agree, also think does not seem medieval enough

old hand
old hand
I don't like guns in fantasy. And there's no precedent for having "gunslingers" in Forgotten Realms lore.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Whilst I agree that, somehow, 'Fantasy' does not equate to firearms, there is no real reason why it shouldn't.

Leaving aside the most obvious argument that Fantasy is, by its nature, open to personal interpretation, the high/late medieval setting that allows rapiers and full plate armour should also allow (fairly primitive) firearms. That it doesn't in the minds of a great many gamers (myself included) is interesting. I even went to extent of making my fantasy gameworld, set in a mythical world approximately equivalent to our own 1530s, free of the widespread use of firearms. They just didn't seem right. I might go back and allow them into the setting when I update the world books, but I made a deliberate decision to avoid them first time around, despite firearms being common in the real-world I leaned on for 'historical' inspiration and flavour.

Last edited by Sadurian; 05/11/20 08:07 PM.
N
N
+1

i doubt that it will be in the game at launch, but i dont see why its not something that could be modded in if larian/wotc allows. sure a gunslinger may seem 'off' in the FR setting and i wanna say the gunslinger class is still 'unofficial' content, but im pretty sure the FR has a blackpowder equivalent so i dont see why it couldnt be included from a lore perspective - its more a matter of how larian implements it that i would be concerned with. my approach would be to reflavor crossbows with maybe higher dmg output but shorter average range, still have loading limitations (maybe even increased to balance dmg output), and maybe throw in some self destruct mechanics if you roll a nat 1 (id even scale it the 'heavier' the firearm, ie handgun(xbow) roll a 1 self destruct, lightgun (lightxbow) 1-2 self destruct, etc) to represent the volatility of such weapons. i wouldnt want to make these weapons too op, but create them so the could mechanically fit into the game (i would be really against turning all firearms into grenade like launchers tho, and just be able to blanket a combat encounter with surface fire - but that is another thread)

i used to also be of the mindset that guns arent medieval/fantasy, but kinda got over that the more i dm'd and realized that dnd isnt just 'medieval fantasy'. sure that could be the theme or rules you have established for your campaign/group and all the power to you if you prefer playing in a more traditional fantasy setting, but you have the capacity for all kinds of different campaign scenarios within the FR setting so if one player wanted to play as a gunslinger i would see that more of an opportunity to think about how i would incorporate those elements into the campaign, but of course that is pnp/tabletop and can be difficult for larian to incorporate for a video game (particularly since again, the gunslinger is 'unofficial').

enthusiast
enthusiast
The Forgotten Realms and the Sword Coast have never had a gunslinger class, or any such variant. While there ARE areas of Faerun that allowed for black powder (the Eastern/Asian realms for example, or Gondian Inventions)) even they were generally restricted to cannon or siege type weapons - black powder tended to be more of a defensive "trap" type or offense siege type usage.

While appropriate for some steampunk or pirate type RPG's - Arcanum and PoE come to mind, it's not lore/realm appropriate here.

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
There IS an official gunslinger for 5e, you can pick it as a class option on dndbeyond even.

But. It's CR content, so a lot of players don't like to use it unless they are actively playing in Exandria instead of the realms (or because they hate CR). If you want a non-cr gunslinger your only options right now are with artificer subclasses, which I have seen worked into a passable gunslinger, although it was very steampunk and not at all traditional western themed gunslinger. But, artificer is Eberron content, so again, people often don't like to use it unless they are playing in Eberron instead of the Realms.

Last edited by Piff; 06/11/20 12:12 AM. Reason: speeling
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
no

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
stranger
stranger
Gunslinger is an unofficial subclass for the Fighter class, so I wouldn't think so.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Anthony Talcott
Basically what the title says, since there are Gunslingers in 5e D&D (Which I had no idea there were cause I'm not very knowledgeable about D&D) can we create on in-game? I recently finished Steven Kings' The Dark Tower series and would love to make a character that's part of that world.

Good job finishing the series; 'Oy was def my favorite character smile

Smokepowder definitely was used around the time of the events of Baldur's Gate 2 and into the timeline that encompasses BG3, but mostly in cannon or arquebus form. Gunpowder doesn't actually work in the Realms (thanks, Gond) and guns remain pretty rare and rather unreliable because smokepowder is a bit more nitroglycerin-y and a bit less gunpowder-y with regards to its volatility.

Doesn't necessarily rule it out, though - just probably makes it a bit less likely to make an appearance. I'd be down with a pistoleer or musketeer class, for sure smile

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
there is no official "gunslinger" class but the artificer artillerist subclass does have cannons and firearms

K
stranger
stranger
K
I would love a pair of flintlock pistols to recreate my rogue (since in my rp he's actually a half-elf swashbuckler) but I don't hold any hopes that they'll implement guns, it's highly unlikely. I would love some throwing knives or axes though if they don't actually implement guns

journeyman
journeyman
The DMG has rules for firearms, and artifacer is proficient in firearms via ebberon rising from the last war.

I could see them adding firearms, but I doubt gunslinger because it's just homebrew.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Only PHB classes are being added apparently and artificer isn't. List of classes https://olddungeonmaster.com/2020/05/24/dd-5e-subclasses/

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Larian has said that they are going to incluse the Players Handbook classes and subclasses.
Gunslinger isn't even official, it's as far as I know it's a Critical Role homebrew that's not been officially released.

As for the suggestion about Artificer: it's not a PHB class, and thus I doubt we'll see it in BG3.

L
stranger
stranger
L
please no...let's keep it simple.

I’d prefer not to have it official, as a Mod sure.

veteran
veteran
Well ... truth be told, its odd that no one invented boomstick yet, concidering how many tons of gunpowder is laying around the Sword Coast ... it almost should be renamed to Explosive Coast. :-/
But i would prefer not including this. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/11/20 12:22 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard