Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

However, I don't expect Larian will change this. The stationary camp, while incredibly problematic, is tied to too many aspects of the narrative from potential recruits wandering in, to festivals, or villains tracking you down for a chat. I would love to see a mechanic introduced which made it closer to the table top experience of choosing defensible positions, assigning watches, setting wards (which could allow for terrain effects which aren't tied necessarily to combat and an opportunity for more dynamic quests like purifying defiled temples or graves), and getting sleep while risking ambushes and encounters (especially non combat events like waking to find raccoons went through your shit and ate all your food, or someone slept poorly and left a magical item behind which fell out of a pack because they were out of it, has since between retrieved and carried off and must be tracked down). I would like to see those narrative elements tied to the camp completely thrown out. The party is pretty lame, Raphael can adapt and missed recruits should be missed -maybe we are avoiding someone on purpose.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 05/11/20 02:30 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Meh. There is a RIGHT way to set up camp and my guy has found it and repeats it every time. Perfection!

T
T
I just ignore the runes and don't use them. Problem solved. I don't like fast travel anyway.

For the camp . . . I don't mind the static camp (and assume it will change when we get to Baldur's Gate). Regardless of what is possible, it clearly makes it easier for Larian to set all the story narrative scenes there in a set location.

I DO want them to limit when and where we can camp however!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I am generally for player convenience - with Larian's large singular area I think they need some form of fast travel. Just recent I wished Disco Elysium has some feature as soon as the map opened up. I am not sure, however, if I like the rune thing - it doesn't seem to fit.

As to world quick travel - something needs to be there, but I would prefer something more relatable then runes.

Agreed.

The problem is they made a fast travel system that is actually explained in the game by magic teleporting runes.

It would be better not to explain anything. Just change location. Or I would prefer quickly moving a party icon on a map. So that the player can assume they are traveling normally off screen.

It hurts immersion when a player convenience feature is forcefully explained by an actual magical teleport system. Why in the nine hells do you NEED teleport runes in a normal forest??? Why aren't the enemies using these runes to ambush you? Why aren't hook horrors and Duergar coming up from the underdark since it's so easy?

This feature is so clearly made for the player and not for anything actually living in Faerun. It breaks the fourth wall.

I really agree, and I think a stationnary camp could become immersive if it's a part of another change : the fast travel trough the worldmap rather than TP.

Check this thread I made a few days ago :
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=727408#Post727408

If the fast travel is a "travel trough the Sword Coast (act) map" rather than a TP, we could easily imagine a stationnary camp as a location on the worldmap for each act.
It would become more fluent and immersive when you'll have to long rest. And it would justify TP to the camp : it's not really a convenient TP anymore, it's a convenient fast travel players don't havre to see.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/11/20 06:50 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zarna
They could have a few skins for camp depending on your location right before. It is really immersion breaking to be in the Underdark and then go back to the surface to make camp, especially when playing a Lolth Sworn Drow. Even if they kept the similar camp setup and just changed the environment (although I would like the option for players to be able to rearrange the camp as well.)

Seriously??!
Thats just lazy. I haven't played that far but thats really off putting.
Larian DOS style immersion/atmosphere building for this game is hideous. It doesn't work.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by Zarna
They could have a few skins for camp depending on your location right before. It is really immersion breaking to be in the Underdark and then go back to the surface to make camp, especially when playing a Lolth Sworn Drow. Even if they kept the similar camp setup and just changed the environment (although I would like the option for players to be able to rearrange the camp as well.)

Seriously??!
Thats just lazy. I haven't played that far but thats really off putting.
Larian DOS style immersion/atmosphere building for this game is hideous. It doesn't work.

I would prefer entirely different camp setups but was suggesting something that would not require as much work.

journeyman
journeyman
There are items and spells in D&D that could easily be given right at the start that would make sense of same camp every time.
Items like:
Daern’s Instant Fortress
Wondrous item, rare
You can use an action to place this 1-inch metal cube on the ground and speak its command word. The cube rapidly grows into a fortress that remains until you use an action to speak the command word that dismisses it, which works only if the fortress is empty.
The fortress is a square tower, 20 feet on a side and 30 feet high, with arrow slits on all sides and a battlement atop it. Its interior is divided into two floors, with a ladder running along one wall to connect them. The ladder ends at a trapdoor leading to the roof. When activated, the tower has a small door on the side facing you. The door opens only at your command, which you can speak as a bonus action. It is immune to the knock spell and similar magic, such as that of a chime of openening.

or the spell;
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
You conjure an extradimensional dwelling in range that lasts for the duration. You choose where its one entrance is located. The entrance shimmers faintly and is 5 feet wide and 10 feet tall. You and any creature you designate when you cast the spell can enter the extradimensional dwelling as long as the portal remains open. You can open or close the portal if you are within 30 feet of it. While closed, the portal is invisible.

Beyond the portal is a magnificent foyer with numerous chambers beyond. The atmosphere is clean, fresh, and warm.

You can create any floor plan you like, but the space can’t exceed 50 cubes, each cube being 10 feet on each side. The place is furnished and decorated as you choose. It contains sufficient food to serve a nine-course banquet for up to 100 people. A staff of 100 near-transparent servants attends all who enter. You decide the visual appearance of these servants and their attire. They are completely obedient to your orders. Each servant can perform any task a normal human servant could perform, but they can’t attack or take any action that would directly harm another creature. Thus the servants can fetch things, clean, mend, fold clothes, light fires, serve food, pour wine, and so on. The servants can go anywhere in the mansion but can’t leave it. Furnishings and other objects created by this spell dissipate into smoke if removed from the mansion. When the spell ends, any creatures inside the extradimensional space are expelled into the open spaces nearest to the entrance.

Stationary camp would feel better if like in other games you went to a world map and then went to camp. The fact that resting directly teleports you to the camp is what feels off. If there eventually will be a world map that allows travel to different locations, then the current camp mechanics sort of make sense as we don't have a world map yet.. I mean this image makes it look like there will be a rather large world map.

Last edited by vyvexthorne; 05/11/20 01:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Stationary camp would feel better if like in other games you went to a world map and then went to camp. The fact that resting directly teleports you to the camp is what feels off. If there eventually will be a world map that allows travel to different locations, then the current camp mechanics sort of make sense as we don't have a world map yet.. I mean this image makes it look like there will be a rather large world map.

Just go there and +1 this one smile
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=727408#Post727408

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/11/20 01:22 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
(especially non combat events like waking to find raccoons went through your shit and ate all your food, or someone slept poorly and left a magical item behind which fell out of a pack because they were out of it, has since between retrieved and carried off and must be tracked down)

I love this idea, actually. Random camp events which are not always combats would be great. Raccoons eating my food would genuinely make me happy!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
They use the camp as a staging ground for lots of narrative events and such, though. So if you just camped anywhere, it would be exceedingly hard to do that.

Yep thanks again to cinematic dialogues, cut content and annoying stuff everywhere.
Because of cinematic dialogues there SO MANY THINGS that cannot be done for the sake of having a movie like experience. Ironically this kills the immersion.

this is very true, I think that just because of that whim many things have been going wrong or are difficult to fix

OP Offline
Originally Posted by luciant
There are items and spells in D&D that could easily be given right at the start that would make sense of same camp every time.

This seems like the best solution to me!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
+1

However, I don't expect Larian will change this. The stationary camp, while incredibly problematic, is tied to too many aspects of the narrative from potential recruits wandering in, to festivals, or villains tracking you down for a chat.

I think if they can find you at this imaginary camp that doesn't exist they could find you in any other camp maybe? And the cinematic dialogues and festivals etc would work in any other space if it is big and it is a safe area to begin with (It should be safe in order to camp in the first place).

Also I thought that once we entered the druid grove we would camp with them, at the grove. Stationary camp doesnt make sense because travelling back every night, undo all our footsteps, to sleep in a place that doesn't have anything special sounds inefficient. Perhaps they can add multiple stationary camps along the way (The grove, an Inn or a certain house, camp with the goblins if you befriend them etc)

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Alanhop1238
I think that I just had a really good idea what if you can clear different resting places out and making them your camp for the time being like the toll house when you fight Anders and his team you can set up beds and all kinds of things there and loot just like a D&D adventure reminds me of the system that state of decay had

This would be very good!

K
K
I don't have an issue with the camp. It's kind of obvious that its set up right now to serve a purpose, be it the cage being used for volo if you side with goblins to that carved out spot in the wall for a yet unknown character. As it is, the spot where you stargaze or have romantic encounters in the little stone building area or the slab you lay on for volo to do things to the player are sort of part of the script for Act I at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Larian changed aspects of the camp for later zones in the following Acts to reflect the path you take (mountain, underdark etc.), Act I you crashed on the beach, so you have a beach camp that whole Act.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by drimaxus
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Yep the teleport waypoints have to go too. Doesn’t feel Sword Coast at all. Just make fast travel offscreen travel.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like those!

I hate them.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kraydenvar
I don't have an issue with the camp. It's kind of obvious that its set up right now to serve a purpose, be it the cage being used for volo if you side with goblins to that carved out spot in the wall for a yet unknown character. As it is, the spot where you stargaze or have romantic encounters in the little stone building area or the slab you lay on for volo to do things to the player are sort of part of the script for Act I at least. I wouldn't be surprised if Larian changed aspects of the camp for later zones in the following Acts to reflect the path you take (mountain, underdark etc.), Act I you crashed on the beach, so you have a beach camp that whole Act.

That is a bit sad, that we are sacrificing good gameplay and immersion for just some romantic options

S
stranger
stranger
S
I love the camp idea but I do wish it was more dynamic in the location appearance and maybe not so readily available? But if I had to chose no camp or how it is now I would definitely choose it in it's current state.

journeyman
journeyman
I like the camp the way it is. The way I see is is this, the leader tadpole that the player character has teleports everyone to the camp and back.

Reminds me of Dragon Age Origins where you just instantly appear in the camp when you click on the camp.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 06/11/20 07:15 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

I’ve seen this map before, but looking at it again more closely – it’s kinda odd how much of a beach vibe we get at the start considering we’re actually really far up a river instead. Maybe they should have kept the beach stuff for when we reach the coast? Feels like a hold-over from Fort Joy more than anything.

Last edited by LukasPrism; 06/11/20 11:13 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard