Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24
journeyman
journeyman
Absolute is
Cyric
I think. He will have a way of coming back to realms, if you wreck enough havoc with your choices maybe?
A lot of encounters that are dribbled in EA seem to be odd; because the people are shadow people that don't completely remember their memories and their time is warped,
I think each of your companions will turn out to be a reincarnation or avatar of god/s and the player character could represents Mystra, but it could also continue being convoluded and we will see a lot of ties with our character's "needs" and past of some evil gods.

The big villain is the voice in your head, whoever that is.
Vampiric illithid DM *coughs*

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Here's another far out possibility @Priest. Far out there, not very likely but I'm just spitballing.

Perhaps the absolute, like all mind flayers doesn't have a gender. Instead the absolute is a god like Angharradh that is made up parts of other gods? The dead three, Ilsensine and Shar?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Angharradh

I don't think that the Absolute is a combination of the Dead Three, Ilsensine, and Shar. I can't see what Ilsensine and Shar would have to gain from working with three now-lowly deities.

- Priest
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by azarhal

That dialogue could be conditional to using the tadpole.

And it's not exactly resisting Shar's power, it's resisting the Nightsong's soul sucking kiss. Kiss that might also be conditional. If Shar is responsible for shielding the tadpole, then she would want you dead if you used it as well.

Makes sense, I agree. An evil goddess protecting the character from another evil entity. Overused concept, but why not.

I hope at some point though, through Gale for instance, Mystra will have a role to play to help Good leaning characters in this fight. Selune too.

Last edited by Nyanko; 06/11/20 01:39 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Vamathi
Absolute is
Cyric
I think.

Why would Cyric be represented by the symbols of the Dead Three and be referred to as both male and female?

- Priest
Originally Posted by Priest
Absolute is
Cyric
I think.

Why would Cyric be represented by the symbols of the Dead Three and be referred to as both male and female?

I personally do not support this theory.
But it can be justified.
That is, the Cyric is a mad deity, and his domain is deception. It is possible that he tricked the goblins, drow and other followers into posing as both a woman and a man.
The use of the symbols of the Dead Three can be justified by the fact that initially Cyric usurped their orbs when he killed Leira and making himself the God of Deception, Murder, Strife, the Dead.
By the way, it seems strange to me that Cyric is not on the list of deities. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the game is in EA, but it's still weird.

Hello there.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko

That dialogue could be conditional to using the tadpole.

And it's not exactly resisting Shar's power, it's resisting the Nightsong's soul sucking kiss. Kiss that might also be conditional. If Shar is responsible for shielding the tadpole, then she would want you dead if you used it as well.

Makes sense, I agree. An evil goddess protecting the character from another evil entity. Overused concept, but why not.

I hope at some point though, through Gale for instance, Mystra will have a role to play to help Good leaning characters in this fight. Selune too.

Going by the description of what is in Gale's chest,
he's more in Shar's palm than Mystra's right now...

Saying that, before the end of Act 1, you can probably piss off Shar
without using the tadpole or working for the Absolute. As you can remove the shadow curse which Shar wants to keep up and destroy the remains of her power base in the region.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by BuckettMonkey
But it can be justified.
That is, the Cyric is a mad deity, and his domain is deception. It is possible that he tricked the goblins, drow and other followers into posing as both a woman and a man.
The use of the symbols of the Dead Three can be justified by the fact that initially Cyric usurped their orbs when he killed Leira and making himself the God of Deception, Murder, Strife, the Dead.
By the way, it seems strange to me that Cyric is not on the list of deities. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the game is in EA, but it's still weird.

Yes, this where I started; but I am also now under impression that I understand what Larian and WotC wanna do... and how it's going to meld into current 5e handbooks.
Cyric was supposed to rise in power around the time of BG3 and it's not adressed in the books so far. I assume it's going to be addressed in the game. Specifically if you don't keep certain someone in check.

Not today.”
apprentice
apprentice
Absolute is
Cyric
I think.

But it can be justified.

We know that the Dead Three are generally behind the crisis going on in the Western Heartlands.
From the press kit: "we find ourselves on the center stage of a complot hatched by none other than the Dead Three: the gods of Murder, Tyranny, and Death."
I don't see how both the Dead Three and Cyric could fit in with this. Perhaps one or the other, but not both parties.

In addition, the divine hooded skeleton in the camp is very likely to be Jergal, due to the several dialogue options explored. Considering Jergal allowed Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul to assume his power, it is possible he has been brought back to atone for his crime. Perhaps Ao, or lawful deity by the command of Ao, say Helm, is responsible for this, and has set the hooded skeleton on his divine mission. This would also explain why Jergal is hanging around the camp assisting the PCs.

- Priest
But it can be justified.

Yes, this where I started; but I am also now under impression that I understand what Larian and WotC wanna do... and how it's going to meld into current 5e handbooks.
Cyric was supposed to rise in power around the time of BG3 and it's not adressed in the books so far. I assume it's going to be addressed in the game. Specifically if you don't keep certain someone in check.

Sorry, I didn't really understand you.
You mean the very ascent of Cyric as God? It's just that the rise of Cyric itself happened 100 years before the start of the game.
In BG 3 (late-15th DR) Cyric is already God. More interestingly, he is imprisoned. After killing Mystra, he was imprisoned in the Supreme Throne for 1000 years.
This, coupled with the prohibition of the Church of Cyric, may explain why he is posing as the Absolute.

Hello there.
addict
addict
Absolute is
Cyric
I think.

But it can be justified.

We know that the Dead Three are generally behind the crisis going on in the Western Heartlands.
From the press kit: "we find ourselves on the center stage of a complot hatched by none other than the Dead Three: the gods of Murder, Tyranny, and Death."
I don't see how both the Dead Three and Cyric could fit in with this. Perhaps one or the other, but not both parties.

In addition, the divine hooded skeleton in the camp is very likely to be Jergal, due to the several dialogue options explored. Considering Jergal allowed Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul to assume his power, it is possible he has been brought back to atone for his crime. Perhaps Ao, or lawful deity by the command of Ao, say Helm, is responsible for this, and has set the hooded skeleton on his divine mission. This would also explain why Jergal is hanging around the camp assisting the PCs.

Jergal was never gone, he's been working for Myrkul, then Cyric and now for Kelemvor as scribe of the dead recording everything that dies since he passed most of his power to the Three. I'm not sure why he would be punished now for it either, considering how long ago that happened.

Also, he's pretty busy recording things, so I doubt the skeleton is him. The skeleton could be working for Jergal thought.

Well, yes, for approximately this reason I reject the theory that Cyric is the Absolute.
So far, it seems to me that the Absolute is a consortium of the Dead Three, like Angharradh mentioned earlier.

Yes, I also think that the hooded skeleton is Jergal, or his avatar, or something related to it. There are too many hints of this in the game. Only I don’t think that he is involved in this Ao. So, as Overgod, he is, essentially, the God of Gods, the aloof and indifferent ruler over all deities who occasionally bestirs himself to smack them all upside the head when they do something he finds unforgivably stupid. Perhaps he will intervene in the course of the plot, but this seems doubtful to me.

Last edited by BuckettMonkey; 06/11/20 02:59 PM.

Hello there.
journeyman
journeyman

It's a theory. If you think they will just place a main villain in front of you and it will be straight-forwards you haven't been listening to the NPCs around you much.
Maybe the Dead Three are falling to Shadowfell and Cyric will take over or is already taking over, maybe there will be other resolution, but I am convinced that he already has something to do with it.
Tbh I am not convinced that the talking skeleton is God, I think he might be a powerful lich such as https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Larloch could turn out to be quite a problem for your party. Of course that's more of a going more by lore on wiki...

Sorry, I didn't really understand you.
You mean the very ascent of Cyric as God? It's just that the rise of Cyric itself happened 100 years before the start of the game.
In BG 3 (late-15th DR) Cyric is already God. More interestingly, he is imprisoned. After killing Mystra, he was imprisoned in the Supreme Throne for 1000 years.
This, coupled with the prohibition of the Church of Cyric, may explain why he is posing as the Absolute.

I am well aware, the time in Act 1 is not what it seems like smile

Last edited by Vamathi; 06/11/20 03:01 PM.

Not today.”
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

Yeah but so far none of the True Souls have even known about their tadpoles, much less that they are altered by shadow magic.

Is there any information in the game that the 'true souls' tadpoles got tampered with shadow magic too? Because my impression was it's only those who were on that ship.

The Drow Halsin killed before he met us had q tadpole in stasis too, qll the true souls tadpoles are in stasis, its why they arnt mindflayers

apprentice
apprentice

Jergal was never gone, he's been working for Myrkul, then Cyric and now for Kelemvor as scribe of the dead recording everything that dies since he passed most of his power to the Three. I'm not sure why he would be punished now for it either, considering how long ago that happened.

Also, he's pretty busy recording things, so I doubt the skeleton is him. The skeleton could be working for Jergal thought.

I didn't mean that he was fully "gone" and then "brought back" to "life". I just meant that he had been brought to Faerun to assist the party against the Dead Three.
We don't know what has happened to Jergal as of the last couple of years. Perhaps he had been imprisoned some time after the Second Sundering (by another deity that recently "returned", Helm, perhaps).

I still believe that the skeleton is Jergal, or at least some sort of avatar, as BuckettMonkey said, there are many hints in the dialogue we have seen thus far.

Just speculation on my behalf, it is possible the skeletal being from the crypt is something else!

- Priest
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ash elemental

Yeah but so far none of the True Souls have even known about their tadpoles, much less that they are altered by shadow magic.

Is there any information in the game that the 'true souls' tadpoles got tampered with shadow magic too? Because my impression was it's only those who were on that ship.

The Drow Halsin killed before he met us had q tadpole in stasis too, qll the true souls tadpoles are in stasis, its why they arnt mindflayers

I don't remember Halsin's note mention shadow magic. We know about it because of the hag and the Mindflayer in the Underdark can sense the magic too but doesn't know what it is. That Mindflayer also suggest the tadpole were evolved to stay in stasis (as a species). So the stasis and shadow magic might be unrelated.

Also, there were other survivors in the ship with tadpoles (not companions), they were brought away by a female Elf controlling them (you have to talk to the dead fishermen to find that out). Even in the ship, Us and the Mindflayer at the helm think you are connected to the network, like everyone else on the ship, but you aren't and both will attack you if they realize that. Just like the Absolute members will attack you if they learn you are a survivor from the ship regardless if you used the tadpole or not.
And once you meet Nere the True Soul, he can mind control you if you used the tadpole too much, just like the survivors from the ship taken away.

There is something different between the PC/Origin's tadpoles and the ones everyone else is using and the only special thing we know about our tadpole is that there is shadow magic involved.

A
stranger
stranger
A

Also, there were other survivors in the ship with tadpoles (not companions), they were brought away by a female Elf controlling them (you have to talk to the dead fishermen to find that out).

The synopsis for that dialog says that it's about mindflayer illusion
You speak with the dead soul of a fisherman, who hurried to the crash site when he saw your ship fall from the sky. At the site he saw a mindflayer, disguised as a beautiful woman, and was killed by Intellect Devourers (brains)

veteran
veteran
Here's another far out possibility @Priest. Far out there, not very likely but I'm just spitballing.

Perhaps the absolute, like all mind flayers doesn't have a gender. Instead the absolute is a god like Angharradh that is made up parts of other gods? The dead three, Ilsensine and Shar?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Angharradh

I don't think that the Absolute is a combination of the Dead Three, Ilsensine, and Shar. I can't see what Ilsensine and Shar would have to gain from working with three now-lowly deities.

We''ll I'm not fully committed to the theory but here's a defense anyway smile Shar has a long history of using low level evil deities for her own purposes. (indeed all these gods are her creation) Most recently she helped Cyric murder Mystra and did so at a time that Cyric was barely able to hold onto his portfolio.

Ilsensine has wanted to destroy and replace the Ohgma and the other gods of knowledge so "replacement" plot is right up his alley.

Again, not betting the farm on it but it seems plausible. smile

veteran
veteran

That's my guess as well. The dialogue mentions the power of a chosen which would fit. As would an old avatar. If it were Jergal himself he would be disguising his form and faking his time in the tomb (Jergal looks like a praying mantis.)

A
stranger
stranger
A

That's my guess as well. The dialogue mentions the power of a chosen which would fit. As would an old avatar. If it were Jergal himself he would be disguising his form and faking his time in the tomb (Jergal looks like a praying mantis.)

again datamined scene synopsis

"After the party has slain a group of undead scholars, the judge of death--Jergal--climbs out of his sarcophagus to greet them. He has been locked inside for years by the god Helm to atone for his part in raising the Dead Three, wicked gods who are now plotting to conquer the realms. Jergal is emotionless and excessively formal, both resigned to his fate and that of others. He is here to assist the party because that is his divine oath, not out of any true desire to act. Players can attempt to goad or attack him, but to minimal effect, as he is functionally immortal. His only goal was to see their faces, so he can find them at camp later to offer further assistance."

"Jergal, a god of the dead, awaits the player in camp. He is bound by the judgment of another god - Helm - to assist the players as penance for past crimes. He provides resurrection services to the players."

addict
addict
Originally Posted by alt-thea

again datamined scene synopsis

"After the party has slain a group of undead scholars, the judge of death--Jergal--climbs out of his sarcophagus to greet them. He has been locked inside for years by the god Helm to atone for his part in raising the Dead Three, wicked gods who are now plotting to conquer the realms. Jergal is emotionless and excessively formal, both resigned to his fate and that of others. He is here to assist the party because that is his divine oath, not out of any true desire to act. Players can attempt to goad or attack him, but to minimal effect, as he is functionally immortal. His only goal was to see their faces, so he can find them at camp later to offer further assistance."

"Jergal, a god of the dead, awaits the player in camp. He is bound by the judgment of another god - Helm - to assist the players as penance for past crimes. He provides resurrection services to the players."

That contradict ~30 years of Forgotten Realms lore. I would be rather surprised that WoTC would just allow the devs to change that. Even more curious, the place where we find him was a Selûne's chapel just a few months ago (in demonstration) and everything related to that is still in the game files.

Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard