Dorlann Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Firebolt does 1D10 damage, not 1D6.

Dorlann #728789 06/11/20 06:58 AM
old hand
old hand
They lowered it because now it creates a fire surface under the target, which does some extra damage.

Firesnakearies #728790 06/11/20 07:01 AM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
They lowered it because now it creates a fire surface under the target, which does some extra damage.

And it ignites the target, which does even more damage.

But Dorlaan is on to something: Firebolt isn't supposed to do that!

Dorlann #728814 06/11/20 08:27 AM
veteran
veteran
I love it ...
Your meele characters can fire-dip weapons to do extra fire damage to any enemy that was hit by Firebolt. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
RagnarokCzD #728825 06/11/20 09:04 AM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I love it ...
Your meele characters can fire-dip weapons to do extra fire damage to any enemy that was hit by Firebolt. laugh

Yeah, that "fire dipping" is another issue all together. Not really logical, nor needed in the game.

RagnarokCzD #728836 06/11/20 09:36 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
I love it ...

The funny thing, and I hope in higher difficulty they will, is the enemy can dip their weapon into the firebolt you cast at them XD

Dorlann #728889 06/11/20 11:59 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I mean firebolt alone breaks about 5 D&D rules. Wrong damage, AoE, burns concrete, does DoT and you can dip your bow in it without burning your hand or knackering the bow stings. I quess a flat 1d10 fire damage was overthinking it laugh.

Nyanko #728897 06/11/20 12:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I love it ...

The funny thing, and I hope in higher difficulty they will, is the enemy can dip their weapon into the firebolt you cast at them XD

They should get it automaticly ...
I dont envy any Pyromancers. laugh

Dorlann #728898 06/11/20 12:11 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
The ignite feels very inconsistent to me, I feel like it almost never happens.

Dorlann #728900 06/11/20 12:14 PM
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Dorlann
Firebolt does 1D10 damage, not 1D6.

Though I agree, it is funny to me how the people who like to play the class known for pointy hats, all complain about the few perceived nerfs while completely silent about all the plethora of ways Wizards have been given unwarranted and unbalancing buffs.

In early access, Fire Bolt is in reality buffed like so many other aspects of the Wizard. Multiple times, an enemy have cast Fire Bolt who MISSED me, yet damaged me for 8 hp before I could act and I would still be on fire. Fire Bolt now set surfaces on fire (can unrealistically only miss the target but not the ground the target occupies), it can set the target on fire (1-4 dmg for 2 turns I believe), and the burning effect is an AoE that can even set other targets on fire. Add to this that Fire Bolt is now an elemental "barrelmancy" detonator/trigger that will blow shit up, or burn shit away (like spider webs where the Spider Matriarch gets over 40 falling dmg).

I could go on listing homebrew I hate about Swen Vincke's love-child, but would be too much of a rant. So yes please, let's bring back D&D to DOS3.

Last edited by Seraphael; 06/11/20 12:30 PM.
Seraphael #729009 06/11/20 03:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seraphael
can unrealistically only miss the target but not the ground the target occupies

Sure it can ... if you dodge that ball of fire, it misses you ... if that ball of fire explode in next second both the ground and you will be on fire.
Do you really think that someone who can create ball of burning plasma in his bare hand cant control it anymore once he throws it? Think again. laugh

like spider webs where the Spider Matriarch gets over 40 falling dmg

I destroyed that web with single arrow ... same result, no firebolt included ...
I dont see your point here. O_o

Seraphael #729016 06/11/20 03:21 PM
Dorlann Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The only complaint I see here is yours. This is an early access game. The post was to point out that the current version of Firebolt doesn't follow D&D rules. Firebolt doesn't set the area on fire with splash damage, doesn't do 1D6 damage, and it doesn't set the target on fire if its a creature. However Firebolt does set items not carried or worn on fire and those things on fire take 1D10 fire damage at the beginning of the turn until its doused. The point of Early Access is to find and report bugs and inconsistencies in the game and the forums are for them to be reported, not to complain about things you haven't looked into, not to complain about the way a class you aren't familiar with plays, not to bully, not to rant, and definitely not to whine about how Baldur's Gate 3 plays similar to another game. So instead of being toxic on another persons post, go play the game and help the devs find bugs and inconsistencies with the game and play it for what it is instead of what you think it feels like.

Side note: After 4 misses casting Firebolt on the Spider Matriarch and it not setting the webbing underneath her on fire, I had to use Burning hands to drop her which only knocked her prone. So its good that you were able to do over 40 falling damage to her instead of having to pick her off at range with a spell that does LESS damage than a longbow.

RagnarokCzD #729018 06/11/20 03:23 PM
Dorlann Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Firebolt and Fireball are two different spells and don't work the same.

Dorlann #729086 06/11/20 05:27 PM
veteran
veteran
can unrealistically only miss the target but not the ground the target occupies

Sure it can ... if you dodge that ball of fire, it misses you ... if that ball of fire explode in next second both the ground and you will be on fire.
Do you really think that someone who can create ball of burning plasma in his bare hand cant control it anymore once he throws it? Think again. laugh

The spell is firebolt, not fireball. There is no exploding. It's more similar to a crossbow bolt than a grenade.
like spider webs where the Spider Matriarch gets over 40 falling dmg

I destroyed that web with single arrow ... same result, no firebolt included ...
I dont see your point here. O_o

Did you shoot the web directly with the arrow? Or did you shoot the Spider Matriarch with an arrow and the arrow:
-did damage to her
-and splintered into dozens of shards that did AoE damage
-and caused bleeding for damage over time?

Because the latter is what firebolt currently does

Dorlann #729090 06/11/20 05:30 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
+1 put cantrips back to RAW. Heavily reduce the amount if ground effects and exploding barrels. Let the higher level spells do what they are supposed to, instead of cantrips and easily found potions and arrows that every basic goblin seems to have.

Last edited by dotemtpy; 06/11/20 05:31 PM.
Dorlann #729094 06/11/20 05:40 PM
veteran
veteran
My version of Firebolt would be...

1d10 as per 5e
OR
target terrain to ignite a flammable surface (not stone floors) or a brazier, torch etc. If a creature is standing it, Dex save or 1d4 damage.

I wouldn't let a single Fire Bolt cantrip ignite an oil barrel unless it also breaks it. Use a Scorching Ray if you want to make sure it blows up.

Sounds about balanced to me.

My version of Dip would require a consumable oil flask.

Last edited by 1varangian; 06/11/20 05:40 PM.
1varangian #729101 06/11/20 05:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
My version of Firebolt would be...

1d10 as per 5e
OR
target terrain to ignite a flammable surface (not stone floors) or a brazier, torch etc. If a creature is standing it, Dex save or 1d4 damage. [snip]

There is already a cantrip that kind of does your latter description: Create Bonfire.
"You create a bonfire on the ground...any creature in the bonfire's space must succeed on Dex ST or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the ST when it moves onto the bonfire or ends it turn there. The bonfire ignites flammable objects that aren't being worn or carried"

I would be perfectly fine if Larian changed firebolt to have 2 uses: normal firebolt targeting an NPC or target the ground to work as ^

Dorlann #729294 06/11/20 10:59 PM
S
Banned
Banned
S
It would be nice if fire-bolts would ricochet around, bounce off enemies, hit whatever. Maybe it could be controllable on higher levels, that would be a nice addition to increased spell power. More control.

If you dont believe bolts bounce off just try to hit someone from your family with a nice hefty one. trust me. I know what im doing.

Link Copied to Clipboard