Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarorn
I think it’s quite odd how a lot of people kinda forget that many of the mechanics in the game - you don’t need to use !
Don’t like barrels, don’t use em, don’t like food - don’t eat it, think xyz build is to overpowered don’t use it....
The game is pitching at a wide audience & there is a heap of choice - play it your own way & enjoy it - remember not all things in game were designed with just a particular individual in mind.

Why would we need any rules then? Why not have infinite actions? Why not infinite spell slots? Don't like it, don't use it. Why have any sort of difficulty? A player could choose to limit himself to not using certain mechanics to make it more challenging.

Games have rules for a reason. Not using an obviously effective mechanic doesn't feel like choosing your playstyle, it feels like shooting yourself in the foot to fix the gameplay.

There are two main problems to this:
- "a player can just not do it" is a shitty excuse for bad game balance
- a game is made up from mechanics and mechanics create a certain "gameplay type/environment" and a certain "feel/tone"; a grounded tactical game feels completely different from a game overloaded with explosions, ground effects and what have you; it also strains believability

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
I think it’s quite odd how a lot of people kinda forget that many of the mechanics in the game - you don’t need to use !
Don’t like barrels, don’t use em, don’t like food - don’t eat it, think xyz build is to overpowered don’t use it....
The game is pitching at a wide audience & there is a heap of choice - play it your own way & enjoy it - remember not all things in game were designed with just a particular individual in mind.

Why would we need any rules then? Why not have infinite actions? Why not infinite spell slots? Don't like it, don't use it. Why have any sort of difficulty? A player could choose to limit himself to not using certain mechanics to make it more challenging.

Games have rules for a reason. Not using an obviously effective mechanic doesn't feel like choosing your playstyle, it feels like shooting yourself in the foot to fix the gameplay.

- a game is made up from mechanics and mechanics create a certain "gameplay type/environment" and a certain "feel/tone"; a grounded tactical game feels completely different from a game overloaded with explosions, ground effects and what have you; it also strains believability

I second this. A game is not supposed to be a challenge against yourself but a challenge against mechanics set by the game rules. And it's even more so the case as it's a multiplayer game. Rules have to be the same for everyone to be a fair and fun experience.

Imagine if the chess championship organizers were stating: "Ok from now on, you can move the pieces any way you want. But if you want more difficulty, you can keep the standard moves". It would become such a mess.

Last edited by Nyanko; 06/11/20 10:53 AM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyanko

I second this. A game is not supposed to be a challenge against yourself but a challenge against mechanics set by the game rules. And it's even more so the case as it's a multiplayer game. Rules have to be the same for everyone to be a fair and fun experience.

Imagine if the chess championship organizers were stating: "Ok from now on, you can move the pieces any way you want. But if you want more difficulty, you can keep the standard moves". It would become such a mess.

Pawn takes pawn - checkamate in one move lol. Good analogy laugh.

journeyman
journeyman
I have exactly this discussion in another thread. By flaging a bad game design an optional and you-don't-need-to-use-it is very weak argument, invalidating existence of rules at all. This is Player vs Environment (PvE) type of game, where you are playing against the game, not against other players and certainly not against yourself.

And to the topic question, did really nobody mention painted and possibly custom portraits? And I would love them on the right side of the screen too, haha.

Last edited by Zahur; 06/11/20 01:48 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Mostly agreed with the random encounters. I do recall when in Fallout 2 the topic was related to a mission
a) You helped and killed a bad guy.
b) At a random point the brothers come in 3 encounters and hunt you.

Can be done via random creatures or also adventuring parties... could be triggered upon rest and easily made optional. Only thing is that these should not happen to often...

journeyman
journeyman
Regarding random encounters in BG2 I especially liked when you met Drizzt and when you met a group of adventurers who impersonate your group.

Oh and we certainly need to hear: You must gather your party before venturing forth.

old hand
old hand

Completely agree. Rules and restrictions MAKE the game. I want to play D&D with a DM telling me what I can and can't do. I don't want to be my own DM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard