Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sharet Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So, I did three playthroughs and always thought the game encounters were pretty standard in difficulty. In the first playthrough, the Hag was bugged and just stand still while I killed her. In the second playthrough, I forgot about her so I decided to take her down on this third one.
So, I entered the lair and passed undetected past her masked bodyguards. With a combination of feather-fall and poison resistance, I arrive in the boss fight room.
This time she was not bugged.

So, FFS, what the fuck is this encounter?
She creates 4 copies of herself on the first turn. I knew who the real one was thanks to my hunter's mark but still, she was pretty far away and has a ton of hp. Each one of her copies cast "hold person" on my characters so they lose their turn. The second turn, while my characters are still immobilized, her four copies cast acid arrows like no tomorrow, 29dmg each one. Then, the real hag summons ANOTHER four copies and heals herself.

And if this wasn't enough, at the start of the fight, she summons her masked bodyguard (on who I sneaked on before to avoid killing them) but luckily they are bugged and never manage to enter the encounter properly.

So, at the start of turn three, there are 9 hags and, in theory, 4 masked bodyguards and EACH ONE of these 13 fellas can one-shot one of your party members.

Please, I beg you, tell me wtf is the sense of this encounter and how did u manage to beat it.

Thanks.

Ps: forgive my English, typically I give a lot of attention to present my posts well but now I'm pissed off.

addict
addict
So, I always kill the masked guys instead of sneaking past them. For her, Each time sh makes copies, have Gale cast Magic Missile and send one missile at each copy. Then its you and her w/ a few more minor twists. I alos like to save her for when my party is level 4. Same w/ Gith and Underdark.

sneak with your party into her lair, get behind her and shove her into the pit. Make sure she is 'surprised' and it's 100% success.

Last edited by Moirnelithe; 07/11/20 09:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
I love this fight. Pretty much makes the game. And its the exception to the rule -- this is the most "5th ed" fight in the game. Surfaces and bombs are of limited use.

With the duplicates -- use your magic missile and / or scorching ray to hit each duplicate. The hag is fae (and oh so evil) so the protection from evil will protect you from hold person. Faerie fire will make it easier to hit. Use Lae'zels terrifying attack to keep her from casting other spells.

Create water will get rid of invisibility.

Yes, shoving works as does a pushing spell. A potion of hill giant strength will help there. But you miss out on some good stuff if you throw her into the pit.

And it might make it too easy but thief with dual daggers and Wyvern poison will end this fight in 2-3 rounds.

Other things that will help such as SH 'duplicity' spell.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Gotta Save your wyvern poison for her, i believe Astarion can prock it 3 times

BattleMaster Lae'zel can terrify her as well

addict
addict
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

I always use the wyvern poison on Priestess Gut so she doesnt call for help.

T
T
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

There are two wyvern poisons you can get . . . so both can be options. But for the hag its just trivially easy to knock (or pull) her into the pit, sure you miss some loot but whatever.

W
veteran
veteran
W
The first time I actually got to fight her I took her down to 1 hp and she pushed Shadowheart into the abyss. Well played Ethel. Well played.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I had problems getting her to proc inside her lair, so I have just had to continually kill her in the entryway of the teahouse. I have it down to a science now.

Do whatever your main does best, use Astarion to backstarb, Lez doing push attacks to keep her away from the fire place, while Gale keeps her all greased up, which sets her on fire because she stand near a touch, keeps her from going invisible, and most importantly also keeps her prone. One round and she's down, sometimes two.

[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Does silence work? You can cover the map with a few scrolls. I have only ever done the eye pluck thing.

N
old hand
old hand
N
You should be able to pop
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

you should be able to burst Gut before she can call for help without wyveen, agree to go to her private chambers and have Astarion stealth and sneak attack her

old hand
old hand
I just casually killed her in the teahouse by using the most powerful ability in the game right now, Menacing Attack.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I push her down, not sure if it's just my weird RNG but I've pushed her down on the second attempt every time even tho it's a 5% chance.
The RNG can be really weird in this game sometimes, it almost feels like it's showing the wrong number at times.

C
stranger
stranger
C
This fight is so great! <3 Never done it with the bodyguards, but redcaps taught me to not let enemies behind me. Killerrabbit said it all, use multiple targetting spells to dispel asap their images. Try to stop her from acting anyway you can, injonction, fear... What really bug me in this fight is when she take the appearence of Maryna and you have to choose wich one to hit. Maryna don't have much HP :p

Sharet Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The problem is, the first thing I tried to do with the copies were exactly the magic missiles. I thought that one hit should suffice killing an illusion.
I was wrong. I don't know if this is a bug or what but it took me like 15-20dmg to take down a copy.

EDIT: pf course I burst her with stealth Astarion but again, as soon as she summons the copies they have the initiative and hold-person my entire party.

Last edited by Sharet; 08/11/20 09:43 AM.
Sharet Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I just casually killed her in the teahouse by using the most powerful ability in the game right now, Menacing Attack.

In my first playthrough, I burst her to 2hp at the house entrance. This ability is OP.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard