Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Baraz
Although we are getting a bit off topic : I forget how I failed to save the character, but the next turn the minautaur ignored Laezel in melee and instead ended the dying character. Normally, creatures who wish to live focus the active threats, but anyhow. No matter, we have tons of Revivify scrolls. It did not matter to me: the 3 left characters focused on ending the two minautaurs rather than saving a character.

In retrospect, using Dex or Wis spells would have been much much better than my ambush/trap attempt.

A little bit off-topic, sure, but still worthwhile discussion. As has been argued in many threads, the enemies' penchant for attacking downed enemies is a bit odd and feels spiteful. And doesn't really make sense for all but the most feral or most intelligent enemies.

@Demoulius
I find that Menacing Attack is one of the most useful abilities out of all the characters' abilities, since being frightened is overpowered in BG3 compared to PnP 5e.
-you're right that hold person wouldn't work. I retract that statement.

I agree with you that Larian homebrewing a lot of characters to add the same jump mechanic is somewhat boring. Just let the minotaurs charge!

veteran
veteran
Don't forget to grease them good. anyway, I thought I wrote it earlier but apparently, it was on a different topic - don't forget you have a level lock. If you meet them on the full game and you are level 5-6 I believe this encounter would be much easier

Last edited by Abits; 02/11/20 09:07 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
Don't forget to grease them good. anyway, I thought I wrote it earlier but apparently, it was on a different topic - don't forget you have a level lock. If you meet them on the full game and you are level 5-6 I believe this encounter would be much easier

- Exactly ! When I redo that fight, Grease, Ray of Frost, etc. Making them prone instead of me :P
- Laezel did succeed a Fright effect ! :P
- Good point that we can easily be levels 5 or 6 in the full game. I was level 4 before even attacking the goblin camp/Selune temple ruins nor doing the spîder lair.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Fog spell, best spell in the game. Hide in fog, pop out of fog, shoot them, hide back in fog. I'm invincible!

C
CMF Offline
C
Killed minos a few times now. Very first encounter was way too hard, my builds were bad and I avoided the fight. Second time through I had a mix of melee and ranged and was able to force out the fight with a few assists on downed characters. A lucky miss streak by them helped me finish the minos at the end.
After that I knew I could cheese them and knock them off a ledge or use other environmentals to win. I even ran them back to the keep and turned on the defense lasers but then they jumped up on the ramparts and I had to fight them normally again.

My latest kill was with an all melee group (to test viability I have my "brawler bros" and my "caster comrades" to see how balanced the archetypes are). My whole melee group is around 19-21 AC but the minos are still able to land hits on us reliably. I thought I was gonna have to reload and try again when one of my characters got knocked over the ledge and landed next to the bulette. Well the next move both mino's jump down and start attacking the guy down there, he gets downed pretty quickly...then the bullette starts attacking the minotaurs!!! they all got each other low and I threw a heal potion over the ledge and got my downed player up. I ran him out of line of sight and sheathed him away as the NPCs fought each other and I lobbed arrows from up top.....there are so many different ways to approach this fight it is pretty amazing.

veteran
veteran
I think the biggest problem with the minotaurs is the fact that this fight is unavoidable. Usually hard fights like this one are optional. If I had to fight Firkraag the first time I encountered him I would probably never finish BG2. Like I said before, I assume this fight is so hard right now because of the ea level cap. I hope they won't change it too much because it's a fitting place for a hard fight, but I also hope they would give us the known dnd choice of "git gud and come back"

Last edited by Abits; 03/11/20 06:42 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
C
CMF Offline
C
I was able to avoid it the first time playing. yes they saw me and killed me before I knew they were there, but after a reload I just snuck around them and avoided that section all together. nothing back there beyond a chest I think. Can walk down the other path and jump across to get to the mushroom people and not have to fight the minotaurs

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CMF
I was able to avoid it the first time playing. yes they saw me and killed me before I knew they were there, but after a reload I just snuck around them and avoided that section all together. nothing back there beyond a chest I think. Can walk down the other path and jump across to get to the mushroom people and not have to fight the minotaurs

It's possible only if you come from the goblin fort and only if you know they are there. Hardly optional imo. Again, I don't mind it not being optional provided we'll be allowed to have an extra level or two when fighting them (which I believe we'll have)

C
CMF Offline
C
No there is a path going down left exiting the abandoned fort. If you go straight out of that it walks you into the purple spore mist and the minotaurs. If you go left down the ramp it triggers the bullette. If you are sneaking you can avoid triggering the minotaurs agro even if you are not in the cone of visibility (as they agro just a bit before the red cone intersects with you, so sometimes they see you at the purple mushroom spore mist).

(just realized you said goblin fort, which is what I just described)....

The very first time I ran into the mino's i jumped a character down the pit at the phase spiders because I accidently won by pushing the matriarch down the hole and wanted to see if i could go down there and find a body to loot. Imagine my surprise on finding the underdark!!! From there I was able to jump off the side next to the flamable mushrooms and sneak out, again you can avoid a fight from that approach....I am not sure of any other ways to get to the underdark at the moment. Goblins or the spider cave.

veteran
veteran
Really? I was certain the spider queen route is instant battle. Good to know. But the first time I jumped I died from the fall 🤣. Anyway stealth is really not my cup of tea. But I guess it's nice to have options.

C
CMF Offline
C
Lol, I too died the first time. I was highly amused with the spiraling down piano/music as I flipped around and fell to my death...that was the first time I used feather fall in the game and was pleasantly surprised to see that worked too. That accidental spider fight win and then falling down the hole to find another world was the moment I thought that this game was amazing.

I was so awestruck (and only level 3 at the time) that I was timidly sneaking everywhere and moving really slow.

veteran
veteran
I think the developers should really think about better ways to handle this scene. Perhaps just a short massage you died and a game over if you don't jump with feather fall. Because having this epic scene only to die is stupidly hilarious

Not sure if anyone's noticed this yet, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if you "examine" the minotaurs you'll notice that they're resistant to slashing weapons and vulnerable to bludgeoning. Maybe that'll help someone out...

journeyman
journeyman
The thing about all of Larian's games is, they force the player to think. There is no charging blindly into these sorts of strong foes....you have to plan and use the ground and your spells and abilities to suit the occasion. The first time facing the minotaurs, got my ass kicked badly. Took some moving of barrels and studying the ground, and took them on the third try. Lae'zel gor tossed off an edge deep into the depths of the dark, but, we prevailed.

I realize that some players don't like being forced to plan and really use strategy- but personally, I love the way Larian surprises and seems to present impossible foes or traps that force you to really think outside the box and be clever. They offer real challenges to players. They leave you feeling accomplished. While it may seem cheesy to have to save and try again, it is extremely fun, to me anyways, being forced into these difficult situations where the answers are not always obvious. I don't like games that hold your hand where you "follow the carrot" through a one way maze. Give me this creative play, where there are multiple answers, different directions to travel, lots of ways to travel the path of adventure.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Balls
The thing about all of Larian's games is, they force the player to think. There is no charging blindly into these sorts of strong foes....you have to plan and use the ground and your spells and abilities to suit the occasion. The first time facing the minotaurs, got my ass kicked badly. Took some moving of barrels and studying the ground, and took them on the third try. Lae'zel gor tossed off an edge deep into the depths of the dark, but, we prevailed.

I realize that some players don't like being forced to plan and really use strategy- but personally, I love the way Larian surprises and seems to present impossible foes or traps that force you to really think outside the box and be clever. They offer real challenges to players. They leave you feeling accomplished. While it may seem cheesy to have to save and try again, it is extremely fun, to me anyways, being forced into these difficult situations where the answers are not always obvious. I don't like games that hold your hand where you "follow the carrot" through a one way maze. Give me this creative play, where there are multiple answers, different directions to travel, lots of ways to travel the path of adventure.

The combat encounters are honestly the only reason I didn't shelf this game after finishing the EA. I still think the kid and the harpies is the best, but there are so many dynamic encounters its easy to find a favorite.

+1 Balls

N
old hand
old hand
N
I did them for the first time the other day, they ambushed me actually, They were that bad at all

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 08/11/20 02:31 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Minotaurs cannot jump, they have a 10ft knockdown charge attack, greataxe and gore. They surely cannot jump/knockdown from half way across the map.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Minotaurs cannot jump, they have a 10ft knockdown charge attack, greataxe and gore. They surely cannot jump/knockdown from half way across the map.

Pretty sure their charge is "atleast" 10 feet

journeyman
journeyman
First time I faced this encounter, I thought, wow it's tough. Just got done soloing it again for like the 5th time. Solo as in 1 character playthrough with no party members.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Jhelzei
Not sure if anyone's noticed this yet, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if you "examine" the minotaurs you'll notice that they're resistant to slashing weapons and vulnerable to bludgeoning. Maybe that'll help someone out...

Well, one of them is. Due to an item he's wearing. Still, if you take advantage of that vulnerability, it does make the fight much easier.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard