Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#729989 08/11/20 03:08 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
With the druid code in mind to be a druid do you have to be full vegan....

addict
addict
Well, there is the cycle of life and all that stuff going on in nature all the time. My Beach Druid characters have always been fine with eating bivalves (clams, scallops, etc.)

F
stranger
stranger
F
As an IRL vegetarian, I like to sometimes try it in certain games. It's an interesting challenge in Minecraft for instance. I'm also reminded of the fish people in Starbound, they were my favorite race and vegetarian in the lore, it wasn't forced on you but I did it anyway for fun/immersion. I honestly think BG3 would function the same way, it's a low-key lore-friendly thing to do, but not a requirement. They might even sneak in some snarky dialogue about it somewhere if you choose not to.

old hand
old hand
I don't know why druids would be vegan. They are into nature, in nature animals eat each other. They revere both plants AND animals, so why would they even eat plants? Because everything eats each other in nature, it's how things are supposed to be, the circle of life, etc.

EDIT: Although they COULD just live on Goodberries, if they wanted to.

Last edited by Firesnakearies; 08/11/20 04:06 AM.
T
addict
addict
T
Animals eat meat...druids would not be vegetarian entirely...some would, sure...but there'd be some that are very predatorial

addict
addict
My druids almost always veer dangerously far in the opposite direction.

-Bear rips out a goblin's throat and swallows-

-Party looks on in horror-

"What? It was already in my mouth. May as well."

That said I could see some druids going the vegan route ala Beast Boy from Teen Titans.

"DUDE! I've been some of these animals!"

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 08/11/20 06:01 AM.
I would say druids are like any other person. Some are vegan and others aren't. It is more of a personal choice than a druid sect code. Also don't confuse Druids with Paladin orders or clerical orders. Druids do have some codes and rites they follow, but for the most part they are pretty relaxed about most things. The only thing I remember about druids, and I'm not sure if this is still expected in 5E, but they couldn't wear metal armor and had specific weapons they could only wield. Scimitar, maces, clubs, quarterstaff, sling, daggers, and bows I think were allowed? I rarely played druids so my memory is foggy on what they were allowed to wield. As far as eating animals never said one way or the other about that. That was usually just a PC choice for their character to be vegan or not.

old hand
old hand
Vegetarianism in the game has already been discussed in this thread

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=726007&page=1

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
old hand
old hand
Which "druid's code" are you talking about?

In my mind druids are far more likely to venerate plants rather than animals and this would be more likely to carnivans rather than vegans or vegetarians.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Druids should be like, "Eat whatever you want, as long as you don't fuck up the ecosystem."

addict
addict
"the druid code"

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The first rule of the druid code is that you don't talk about the druid code.

Druids identify with and turn into all manner of animals, and seek to be part of nature. Of course there would not be a 'code' against eating other animals; that's not nature's way. In fact, I could see carnivore-animal druids eating any source of meat they could catch, sentient species included.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
"the druid code"

Definitely a thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Druidity is a real religion my freind is one. It is like Ghia's paganism. The balance, all Druids strive to be neutral. Too many deer? They eat deer, too many people? They remove people. They technically eat anything nature provides as long as they maintain the balance. Eating grass and trees and stuff isn't a Druidic tenant, they aren't sheep.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Not considering magic, druids are probably more likely to live and thrive with a balanced diet.

Getting enough food for a plant-based diet that would be satisfying and healthy, requires either hectars of unnaturally prepared land, or several hours of forarging.

The druid would have to take the animal population into account, both for food in regards to forarging, the nature around them, the earth, etc. They would have to consider the ecosystem overall. If they compete with animals for food, then there may not be enough food for both, and either will die. Humans are adapable in terms of places to live, many animals are not, so this means moving to another location, or accept that a balance must be struck, the latter very likely in the druid's case.

Killing animals can destroy ecosystems, not killing animals can also destroy ecosystems.

You must find balance.

Soul-Scar #730306 08/11/20 03:21 PM
old hand
old hand
"the druid code"

It's more like guidelines anyway

Originally Posted by Sadurian
The first rule of the druid code is that you don't talk about the druid code.

Second rule is! Be nice to mommy!

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
"the druid code"

Definitely a thing.

Quoted and sourced no doubt

Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Druidity is a real religion my freind is one. It is like Ghia's paganism. The balance, all Druids strive to be neutral. Too many deer? They eat deer, too many people? They remove people. They technically eat anything nature provides as long as they maintain the balance. Eating grass and trees and stuff isn't a Druidic tenant, they aren't sheep.

1. Druids in DnD are not real world druids.
2. Druidism died out a thousand years ago, give or take a few centuries.

Dexai #730309 08/11/20 03:28 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Dexai
2. Druidism died out a thousand years ago, give or take a few centuries.

The neo-Druids arose out of the Romanticist movement, about 300-350 years ago (give or take). They cobbled together dribs and drabs of myth and contemporary ideas, very little about the actual druids being known.

old hand
old hand
Yeah but they said real religion, and neo-paganism ain't none. It's just a bunch of people appropriating cultures to make themselves feel special and unique (and in case of the people who sell it; make themselves a whole lot of money defrauding easy marks).

TheOtter #730314 08/11/20 03:32 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheOtter
Not considering magic, druids are probably more likely to live and thrive with a balanced diet.

Getting enough food for a plant-based diet that would be satisfying and healthy, requires either hectars of unnaturally prepared land, or several hours of forarging.

The druid would have to take the animal population into account, both for food in regards to forarging, the nature around them, the earth, etc. They would have to consider the ecosystem overall. If they compete with animals for food, then there may not be enough food for both, and either will die. Humans are adapable in terms of places to live, many animals are not, so this means moving to another location, or accept that a balance must be struck, the latter very likely in the druid's case.

Killing animals can destroy ecosystems, not killing animals can also destroy ecosystems.

You must find balance.

Wise words.

Dexai #730317 08/11/20 03:35 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Dexai
Yeah but they said real religion, and neo-paganism ain't none. It's just a bunch of people appropriating cultures to make themselves feel special and unique (and in case of the people who sell it; make themselves a whole lot of money defrauding easy marks).

Sounds like religion to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard