Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#730004 08/11/20 03:47 AM
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Something I hope to see more in this game compared to DOS2 is a better system for armor. The DOS2 character creator set my hopes high for how awesome my character might look later in the game. Most of the time though our party was a Hodge-Podge of whatever had the best stats at the time. So far I like that armor itself is all one piece, pants were the bane of my existence in DOS2. Gloves, shoes, and helmets are easier to interchange and still look alright. Basically, I guess I'm hoping for a stronger "fashion-souls" element to BG3.

old hand
old hand
This seems to be something that virtually all single-player RPGs struggle with. The only games that seem to offer a lot of cosmetic options are MMOs and other live service games, usually ones where they can charge you real money for cosmetic options. It seems very de-prioritized by the developers of classic RPGs, in general.

addict
addict
I'd love to see something like World of Warcraft's "Transmogrification" system implemented where when you find a piece of armor or a weapon, the game catalogs it, and you can change the appearance of your current items to whatever you've collected in your catalog. Grim Dawn had something similar. I'm all about the fashion too so +1 to anyone suggesting ways to make my characters have a cohesive look.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
This seems to be something that virtually all single-player RPGs struggle with. The only games that seem to offer a lot of cosmetic options are MMOs and other live service games, usually ones where they can charge you real money for cosmetic options. It seems very de-prioritized by the developers of classic RPGs, in general.

One tendency I honestly dislike in most titles in the genre is what I call the "christmas tree syndrome" of your outfits getting more and more TACKY and ridiculous as you start ramping up in power, plus usually showered by an inane amount of permanent magic status effects.

For instance I found this among the "datamined stuff" on reddit:

[Linked Image]

This is allegedly the "standard" +3 full plate armor in the game (and I use the term "standard" loosely, since these are supposed to be pretty damn rare in general).

Now, besides the fact that it triggers one of my most fierce idiosyncrasies in gaming (I hate fucking giant pauldrons on armors with a burning passion), who the hell wants to look like this by the end of his adventure?
Unless you are SPECIFICALLY going for "gaudy paladin that loves to embarrass himself in public".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco

Now, besides the fact that it triggers one of my most fierce idiosyncrasies in gaming (I hate fucking giant pauldrons on armors with a burning passion), who the hell wants to look like this by the end of his adventure?
Unless you are SPECIFICALLY going for "gaudy paladin that loves to embarrass himself in public".

1: Please put things from datamining in spoilers ^^'''.
2: Embarass himself? Don't you like pink Tuco? Mmmm? Nothing embarrassing about it.
3: I have to agree that armor is way too flashy xD Way too pink/gold/white. (You can still wear it with pride!!).

Everyone will have different taste when it comes to this obviously. Maybe it makes sense to have at least some kind of basic color scheme choice at least? Would be cool.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, we really need to have alternate views. I hope this isn't standard -- it's worse that the Gareth Armor from DOS. I so hated the Rio Carnival outfits at the end of DOS2 and I really hope they don't repeat this aesthetic.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by virion
1: Please put things from datamining in spoilers ^^'''.

It's an armor, not a plot point. And maybe not even a final model. Hopefully.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/11/20 06:14 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Would be nice if they allowed like a cosmetic option for the gear so you can change color and tones of the armors. I know a lot of people think +3 or up has to be flashy, but really I remember weapons that just looked dull be +5 by design until wielded by a worthy person. Heck, if you look at Helm's armor it isn't that flashy. It looks cool, but it isn't very glamorous or ornate. It would be nice though if maybe they allowed like a glamour ability or transmutation like ability for armor sets like Diablo 3 did. That way you can have really great statistical armor, but pick how you look with dye pigments and visuals. Just a thought.

old hand
old hand

One tendency I honestly dislike in most titles in the genre is what I call the "christmas tree syndrome" of your outfits getting more and more TACKY and ridiculous as you start ramping up in power, plus usually showered by an inane amount of permanent magic status effects.

[Linked Image]

This is allegedly the "standard" +3 full plate armor in the game (and I use the term "standard" loosely, since these are supposed to be pretty damn rare in general).

Must be a King.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't know, large pauldrons with blade breakers did exist and while nearly all examples are embellished from their historical inspirations they don't always looks terrible.

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
I still don't see why they can't borrow from all the previous Baldur's Gate entries and allow players to choose some major/minor colors for their outfits. Its such a simple thing but adds a lot.

It would also be nice if some armor with those same colors displayed on the portrait as well. Even if they're cropping at the bust, I think it would be a more dynamic and unique feeling portrait of the 3d avatar that way.

I'm not a big fan of the flashing jousting armor either, with all the ceremonial flourishes, or impractically silly shoulders and the like. But pretty much everything can be improved with a little color control. Not having a way to get some black in your get up as a Rogue, or some green as a Ranger kinda blows. Wizards robes are particularly painful to look at with no way to tweak the colors.

In BG1/2 we usually had control over the cloth elements to re-color and it could be done on the fly at any point. It was a nice touch in the older games that seems pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 08/11/20 08:27 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Yeah I've had access to all the stuff that's in the game via cheat engine since you can spawn things in that way.

The armour is absolutely awful looking. At least for the purpose of combat. It looks more like ceremonial armour rather than something an adventurer would wear for combat. And this being one of the + tiers means this is what... adventurers wear by default?

What? Why? Magic or not its horrifically impractical. And would probably make you a greater target for being robbed than anything "look at that fancy bugger must have a fat purse".

journeyman
journeyman
I highly agree - i would wish to have a variety of armors ingame, DOS was terribly limiting and if Larian wanted to taunt you, they made incredible armors for NPCs, not aviable for the PC.

I dont need customization, just more variety e.g. Helms with closed Visors like mentioned in another thread

addict
addict

(image deleted because it hurt my eyes)

100% Agree.

Banned
Banned
Not being the guy who wants to say
" Hey guys its still EarlyAccess... " but it is. grin

But I too had this sense of a lack of fashion present. I wish we could chose between a set of default coloration patterns for every individual gear spot, like in GuildWars2.
The Transmogrification from WoW was also a good example but without the annoying ingame-currency cost then, please.

I followed the footage LarianStudio released since the first stream.
And I noticed immediately when the Armor "Shadowsass" wears, got stylized and looked much more cooler and fitting for her image as a Cleric.
And then we find better stuff for her and it looks like Goblinsh*t compared to her own style-Armor. smirk

Same with her Headband. Really befitting her role as a Shar Cleric I think.
Everything else looks just like random stuff.

I am not so sure about our own character but the named story-characters of the group, maybe stuff should just look different on them.
As in they can wear any piece of gear the game has to offer, but whatever they wear, only for them it will change its look so that if still fits their overall character theme.
So that every piece of Headgear will somewhere have the full "Newmoon" of Shadowhearts Headband on every other piece of gear that Shadowhearts wears on her head.
And our Vampyboy will always have his gear look kinda... Nobleman style or whatever his style is.

We can look cool yes.
But the original story characters will always be recognizable as themself with a single glance.
Would be nice I think.
Not a must be but would be nice.

Last edited by JustAnotherBaldu; 08/11/20 08:59 AM.
addict
addict

[Linked Image]

It's actually the +2 full plate, I assume the +3 version will be look even more gaudy...

Aside from leather armor, hide armor, chain shirt and half plate I really dislike the player armor. What's even more annoying is that many NPC armors look good, but the player can't get them (this goes for actual armors and clothing).
I hope we can at least recolor the armors, even if we're stuck using those designs (aside from mods wink ).

veteran
veteran
The standard armor models for padded, leather, studded leather, chain and scale look alright. Most of the wonk factor comes with the plate.

But honestly if there were more colored variants I think I could get into it a bit more. Especially the robes.

I hope they keep the hood as a separate piece of equipment from the main armor with options to hide anything that covers the head.

I wish they'd put a ton of zots into armors like the MMOs do these days. But in BG1/2 it was basically only what 4 armored looks?

Either leather, chain, plate or basic tunic, and 2 robed looks for mages. All the rest of the variation came purely from differences in color. It was super basic by today's standards, but still each of the armor types looked pretty cool. I was fond of the chain armor look especially. But the nice part was that you could often recognize how badass a brawling enemy was by their armor. Here its much harder to tell at a glance what kind of gear someone might be wearing.

The companion gear-up for Lae'zel and Shadowheart kinda suffers from them starting out with their coolest look right out the gate. Like I rarely want to trade out their gear even with the +1s on offer with merchants. It would be cooler if they started out more basic and had to recover their coolest looking equipment from the nautaloid via a quest during some later chapter.

old hand
old hand

Yeah, I really hate oversized pauldrons too. And pauldrons with some weird-ass shape. And overly gaudy armor in general. Most MMOs have awful armor that I can't stand.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
OMG that flaming pink armor is just so bad, I'd literally have to go back to leather. I'm not joking. =/

addict
addict
About that armor Tuco shared...

I, for one, am going to take it as a sign from our Lord and Saviour, Cosmetic Variants for Generic Items.

*baseless optimism intensifies*

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard