BG2: 95% .. user score 9.1
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn

DOS2: 93% ... user score 8.8
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin-ii

you were saying?

just for fun:

BG: 91% ... user score 8.9
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate

looks like even averaged out, BG series is more renowned than DOS.

note that those are the original versions, and not the EE.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 08/11/20 07:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
People are not buying BG3 because of Larian (some yes), they are buying it because it is Baldurs Gate. The original BG series has sold 4 times more copies than DOS1&2, not counting the enhanced edition or sales post 2000. Larian need to make it clear who there target audience is, BG and D&D fans or pewdiepie subscribers.

I am sure DOS3 will be cut and pasted soon after BG3 is released. People were promised "something special" for BG3, so far not seeing it.

1m+ in EA is absolutely amazing considering the total sales of DOS2 is between 1.2-.1.35m. Says to me a different type of fan is interested in BG3, I wonder who that would be?

These are completely made up numbers.

I will never stop repeating that I loved the original BG games (second in particular) but people have an insanely inflated idea of how well they sold. Here's Wikipedia on the topic:
Sales
In the United States, Baldur's Gate II entered PC Data's computer game sales charts at #5 during the September 17–23 period.[117] It rose to second place the following week, behind The Sims: Livin' Large, while its Collector's Edition captured the seventh position.[118] In its first 14 days, Baldur's Gate II drew in revenues of $4 million across all SKUs in North America, a sales record for an Interplay computer title.[119] The game and its Collector's Edition were ranked 11th and 19th, respectively, on PC Data's monthly chart for September.[120] Entering its third week, the game fell to fifth place on the weekly chart.[121] However, it remained in the top 10 throughout the October 5–28 period,[122][123][124] and finished seventh for the month.[125] Afterwards, it was absent from PC Data's weekly top 10 and monthly top 20.[126][127] PC Data reported Baldur's Gate II's sales at 199,914 copies and its revenues at $9.2 million in the United States by the end of 2000.[128] The game's success in the country continued during 2001, when it finished 15th for January and sold another 103,144 units between February and the first week of November alone.[129][130] It tallied 225,763 domestic sales for the full year, which drew $9.63 million in revenue.[131]

On Media Control's computer game sales rankings for the German market, Baldur's Gate II debuted at #3 in October 2000. It climbed to second place the following month,[132] before dropping to 12th in December.[133] The Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland (VUD) presented it with a "Gold" award by the end of 2000,[134] indicating sales of at least 100,000 units across Germany, Austria and Switzerland.[135] Media Control proceeded to rank the game 10th, 17th and 23rd during the first three months of 2001, respectively.[133][136] In the United Kingdom, Baldur's Gate II claimed #2 for its release month of November 2000, according to Chart-Track.[137] It fell to tenth place in December, and exited the top 10 in January 2001.[138][139]

The combined global sales of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate II surpassed 3.5 million copies by March 2001.[140] Baldur's Gate II alone reached almost 1.5 million sales by December 2002,[141] and more than 2 million by November 2005.[142] According to the NPD Group, the game totaled 480,000 sales ($19.6 million) in the United States by August 2006. At that time, Edge declared it the country's 31st-best-selling computer game released since January 2000.[143]

Now, for context, these were great numbers for the time and the genre, but even DOS 2 alone did better (Steamspy puts its estimations on an imprecise amount of copies between a bare minimum of 2 millions and a max of five millions) and BG3 will probably pulverize these numbers by the end of its life cycle.
For context DOS 2 hardly ever got above 2000 concurrent users during its early access (to then spike at almost 100K when actually released. Proof: https://steamcharts.com/app/435150#All ), while BG3 already touched 48K concurrent users now, one year from release.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/11/20 07:34 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
ITT: sweeping generalizations in an attempt to provide credibility to an outlandish argument

Anyway, a few weeks ago I had read that they were over a million just on Steam alone, so I'd wager something in the range of 1.25-1.5 million across all platforms?

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Banned
Banned
Sales pretty much mean nothing.

BG2 sold more copies in its first year ... 20 years ago ... than DOS2 sold in its first year ... 5 years ago.

BG2 revolutionized RPG gaming and is still the standard against which even DOS2 is compared.

--------------------

Last edited by tsundokugames; 08/11/20 07:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
Sales pretty much mean nothing.

BG2 sold more copies in its first year ... 20 years ago ... than DOS2 sold in its first year ... 5 years ago.

Uh, no, it didn't. I just quoted proof that this is not the case few replies above.
Why people keep making shit up from thin air?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
Posting information and then misconstruing the evidence doesn't change the facts.

Here are the facts:

PC Games
Baldur's Gate was released on 30 November 1998. Baldur's Gate received positive reviews from virtually every major computer gaming publication that reviewed it. It sold about two million units quickly after release.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, was released in Sept. 2000, selling over 2 million units.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080409131841/http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/about/

It took DOS2 until November 28, 2017 to reach 1 million units sold:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-o...ginal-sin-2-steam-launch-record-breaking

You're well known for misrepresenting facts to try and lie about them, Tuco.

No matter how you want to slice it, Baldur's Gate has always been more popular then DOS. DOS just happens to be current and modern - that's all it is ... pop culture that will be replaced by whatever fad comes next.

Meanwhile, people still play BG and BG2 in large numbers, with an active reddit community.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 08/11/20 07:47 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
I just wonder if the people who complain about the story of BG3 and praise BG have actually played lately.
While the story of BG2 is really good, BG1 has grown old tragically and in terms of gameplay and story.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits

I don't get it. If that's true, where were all these people when Poe, pathfinder etc came out? I seriously doubt it

Poe isn't D&D or BG, "spritual successor" were the words used to describe the game and in my opinion was nothing like it. Poe 1&2 are ok games in their own right but BG or D&D they aren't. People who play D&D TT want the world they imagined realised in the way they understand it otherwise why bother?

BG1&2 haven't aged well but in 1997-2000 they wrote and defined the RPG standard. Poe compared side by side to BG2 on an equal time frame is like comparing The Empire Stikes Back to The Last Jedi. D&D fans knew this just like BG fans hence no increase in sales of other games.

Never even heard of pathfinder until a week ago so I cannot comment on the game itself. However after reading reviews of it I won't buy it because....drum roll....D&D like is not D&D. Funny that. Read the same boast 20 times and everytime they were nothing like it.

D&D and FR have nearly 50 years experience using methods and systems that work with established lore that could fill the great library. Somehow I doubt some 28 year old creative writing intern at Larian is going to homebrew a better system. Looks mean nothing, worlds are built on limitations and rules. Because something "looks like" Baldurs Gate but plays by a totally alien rule set makes it totally different. This concept is extremely difficult to grasp for some people.

Diablo 3 "looks like" BG, Path of Exile "looks like" BG, Pillars of Eternity"looks like" BG, DOS "looks like" BG. None are anything like it, nuff said.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I just wonder if the people who complain about the story of BG3 and praise BG have actually played lately.
While the story of BG2 is really good, BG1 has grown old tragically and in terms of gameplay and story.

I agree BG1 has aged really badly compared to BG2. It was however the foundation to which BG2 was built. In 1997 fallout and BG were landmarks, fallout 2 and BG2 defined the genre.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
70k concurrent players peak on Steam, so at least that.

Steamspy also recorded a million copies sold. Just on Steam. So over that likely, too. Edit: For comparison reasons PoE 1 sold 700k within the first year. BG2 sold 1.5 million pieces in a similar timeframe.

You can't compare sales from twenty years ago and sales from today. Between 2014 and 2020 , there has been one billions more video game players in the world. I don't have the stats for 2000 but if the world gained one billions player in six years, imagine in twenty.
1.5 millions in 2000 is way more significant that 1 millions today. But still, that a great and well deserved success for Larian.

Last edited by Hachina; 08/11/20 07:56 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran

"Here's the facts"
*Proceeds to post a bunch of unsourced bullshit that openly contradicts available official data*

Which is a conservative estimation and still barely few weeks after the release (mid September 2017).

No, I'm absolutely not. You are making shit up once again.
Am I even supposed to know who you are, anyway?

No matter how you want to slice it, Baldur's Gate has always been more popular then DOS.

Baldur's Gate has been a very successful series... In a niche genre and in a time where games were a lot less popular in general.

Meanwhile, people still play BG and BG2 in large numbers, with an active reddit community.

Yeah, I do as well.
I also play Arcanum, ToEE and Vampire Bloodlines, which no one bought. So fuckin what?

Last edited by Tuco; 08/11/20 07:57 PM.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Gathord
DOS2 is the most popular CRPG for a reason,

you were saying?

just for fun:

BG: 91% ... user score 8.9
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate

looks like even averaged out, BG series is more renowned than DOS.

note that those are the original versions, and not the EE.

You do realize what you posted has pretty much nothing to do with my post and I should not even need to be writing a reply, right? And you claim that DOS2 is pop culture trash, I have played through DOS2, bg1-2, and most other crpgs out there. When it comes to exploration and combat, I have to think more and consider more in DOS2 than the rest.

Exploration is not just ''hold highlight button'' and the combat is more than '' use correct buffs before the fight and then watch your units fight '' which is what most gameplay in crpgs is.

Say what you want of Larians game style, but a ton of people enjoy it, not because it is ''easily consumed'' or some other term you would like to throw at it, but because it is fresh and it allows for quite a bit of player expression, and a TON of player freedom. But they do often come at a cost, and for many I am sure the cost is greater than the benefit.

I am fully aware this take is not going to be popular here.

R
old hand
old hand
R
The combined global sales of Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate II surpassed 3.5 million copies by March 2001. Baldur's Gate II alone reached almost 1.5 million sales by December 2002, and more than 2 million by November 2005. According to the NPD Group, the game totaled 480,000 sales ($19.6 million) in the United States by August 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_II:_Shadows_of_Amn#Sales

I really don't want to verify this data.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hachina
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
70k concurrent players peak on Steam, so at least that.

Steamspy also recorded a million copies sold. Just on Steam. So over that likely, too. Edit: For comparison reasons PoE 1 sold 700k within the first year. BG2 sold 1.5 million pieces in a similar timeframe.

You can't compare sales from twenty years ago and sales from today. Between 2014 and 2020 , there has been one billions more video game players in the world. I don't have the stats for 2000 but if the world gained one billions player in six years, imagine in twenty.
1.5 millions in 2000 is way more significant that 1 millions today. But still, that a great and well deserved success for Larian.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Tuco

"Here's the facts"
*Proceeds to post a bunch of unsourced bullshit that openly contradicts available official data*

Which is a conservative estimation and still barely few weeks after the release (mid September 2017).

No, I'm absolutely not. You are making shit up once again.
Am I even supposed to know who you are, anyway?

No matter how you want to slice it, Baldur's Gate has always been more popular then DOS.

Baldur's Gate has been a very successful series... In a niche genre and in a time where games were a lot less popular in general.

Yeah, I do as well.
I also play Arcanum, ToEE and Vampire Bloodlines, which no one bought. So fuckin what?

I love ToEE and both VtM games. People don't know what they missed. The animations for critical hits in ToEE always felt CRITICAL, big delay then WHAM!!! Squish lol.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Both series are great. There is no reasons to compare DOS and baldurs gate, it will only lead to controversial statements. However, there are reasons to compare BG3 to BG2 and 1 as BG3 is the successor and fans are waiting for it eagerly. Then, of course, we have to deal with ''how conservative the game is '' of the original mechanics, which lead to fiery debates depending on how fixated you are on the old games. Uhuh. But I think we can all agree than both olds baldurs games and DOS are wonderful RPGs.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran
Well, to be clear for all the love I have for DOS 1 and 2, I still prefer BG2 by a long shot as an overall experience.

Which doesn't mean I feel the urge to make up some ridiculous bullshit about it as someone else.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Tuco
Well, to be clear for all the love I have for DOS 1 and 2, I still prefer BG2 by a long shot as an overall experience.

Which doesn't mean I feel the urge to make up some ridiculous bullshit about it as someone else.

I dunno about exact sales number, but its a detail, really. While BG2 is my favourite RPG with torment, I think no one will deny how innovative and fresh DOS2 was at his release and how much freedom and exploration the game allows. I Mean, casting a rain spell near a well to make the water level rise and discover some talking skull... Wow laugh

But tbh, given the number of players now, the success of DOS2 and the reputation of Baldur's gate as a serie, I can't imagine the game selling less than 4 -5 millions copy on his first year, unless the critics hardcore bash it. If it has great review, it may even be 10-15 millions, maybe?

Anything that helps old school RPG get back to the scene would make me glad, honestly.

Last edited by Hachina; 08/11/20 08:23 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
People are not buying BG3 because of Larian (some yes), they are buying it because it is Baldurs Gate. The original BG series has sold 4 times more copies than DOS1&2, not counting the enhanced edition or sales post 2000. Larian need to make it clear who there target audience is, BG and D&D fans or pewdiepie subscribers.

I am sure DOS3 will be cut and pasted soon after BG3 is released. People were promised "something special" for BG3, so far not seeing it.

1m+ in EA is absolutely amazing considering the total sales of DOS2 is between 1.2-.1.35m. Says to me a different type of fan is interested in BG3, I wonder who that would be?

This. Mostly. (don't to equate all streamers with pewdiepie who is an idiot)

I'm glad they are talking about adding options like loaded dice for people who don't want to learn the system -- part of the problems with BG3 right now come from trying to please lazy video game critics who cba to learn the rules.

The thing I don't understand is that there is a large community of BG2 fans on reddit, beamdog and obsidian forums. Why aren't they more active here?

J
Jman919 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Okay I started this thread for all it's worth. I love all the Baldur's Gate series, 3 included.

How do I put this...I don't think any of you answered the question. Maybe the info is not there.

But I will repeat the question....so how many copies of BG3 has been sold...if someone can answer this.

Thank you!

old hand
old hand
Well you guys were talking about sales so I did some googling. Kind of interesting but I dont know how relevant it will be to the argument.

https://wccftech.com/divinity-original-sin-2-85m-revenue-2017/

This basically says they generated $85 million in 2017, placing DOS2 at the ninth spot in 2018s premium PC market chart

PREMIUM PC

1 PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds - $714M
2 Overwatch - $382M
3 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - $341M
4 Destiny 2 - $218M
5 Grand Theft Auto V - $118M
6 Battlefield 1 - $113M
7 Minecraft - $92M
8 Guild Wars 2 - $87M
9 Divinity: Original Sin 2 - $85M
10 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - $67M

The source is coming from something called SuperData Research, link is on the website if interested.

Edit* wow that took a bit, here is what i could find for sales for the year on BG1
At $15.7 million in revenue, it was the country's seventh-highest-grossing computer game of 1999
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate

Last edited by fallenj; 09/11/20 05:53 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard