Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Playing BG3 should feel like you're reading an epic fantasy novel. Unfortunately, BG3 has some elements which makes me feel like I'm reading a fairy tale. So, I think that at least these elements should be removed from the game:

Talking to animals and corpses
I have read a lot of fantasy novels, and none of them has a main character who talks to all the animals and corpses he sees. This mechanic gives the game a comedic element, but it takes away epicness from the world and the story.

Witch in a cabin
This storyline is directly from fairy tales, and it should not be part of an epic fantasy story. The biggest problem is that the witch is an empty stereotype, who hurts people because she is evil. Turn her into a sorceress, who has a real background and motives. Also, she should not be completely evil.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Cant tell if serious orrrrrr

addict
addict
Trolls posting low-effort bait and then feigning ignorance and acting offended when people point and laugh as a response has become entirely too common around here.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Trolls posting low-effort bait and then feigning ignorance and acting offended when people point and laugh as a response has become entirely too common around here.

Hyper-intolerant people labelling everyone who has a different opinion a troll is a much worse problem here.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by oldgeezer
Playing BG3 should feel like you're reading an epic fantasy novel. Unfortunately, BG3 has some elements which makes me feel like I'm reading a fairy tale. So, I think that at least these elements should be removed from the game:

Talking to animals and corpses
I have read a lot of fantasy novels, and none of them has a main character who talks to all the animals and corpses he sees. This mechanic gives the game a comedic element, but it takes away epicness from the world and the story.

Witch in a cabin
This storyline is directly from fairy tales, and it should not be part of an epic fantasy story. The biggest problem is that the witch is an empty stereotype, who hurts people because she is evil. Turn her into a sorceress, who has a real background and motives. Also, she should not be completely evil.

You are aware of that a lot of fantasy novels contains elements of what you call "fairy tales", right? What you might deem appropriate in a fantasy novel might not be ideal or appropriate for another person/player.

I play all RPGs with the same mindset - I use them as an alternative to reading fantasy novels (which I do... A LOT), and I don't think BG3 has failed in that perspective, quite the opposite.

Using your own examples: a hag in the swamp is a bit stereotypical, sure. But where's the harm in that? I loved that part, especially singe my ranger had unique responses that I felt was really appropriate to the situation.

And talking to animals... Like, uhm... Lord of the Rings, one of the most famous fantasy serie of all times contain characters that can talk to animals - like Radagast. If it is appropriate for your character (which is decided by no one else but the player), then what is the issue? :x

Just because something might be common in "fairy tales", doesn't mean that is out of place in a fantasy novel. <.< I mean, if we are gonna get REALLY technical, "fairy tales" per definition is just short stories made up from difference aspects of folk lore. Almost all fantasy novels are also, at least partly, inspired by folk lore ... :x

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
addict
addict
Actually playing baldurs gate 3 should feel like warm apple pie OP

veteran
veteran
Playing Baldur's Gate 3 should feel like a great salmon sandwich

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Fairy tales about tantacles splitting through your skull and horny companions around, I can see your point now. Remove talking with corpses please.

addict
addict
larian remove warlock pls, reason: not in lord of the rings, makes my tummy hurt

veteran
veteran
Larian remove the game please

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Playing BG3 should feel like being tickled with peacock feathers by a pig dressed in a ballerina costume.

It doesn't, and I'm disappointed.

old hand
old hand
Playing BG3 should feel like playing a video game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Playing BG3 should feel like playing a video game.

Shh, I'm afraid they'll listen to you.

Banned
Banned
you guys are a bunch of dicks.

veteran
veteran
being a dick is dictating how baldur's gate 3 should feel

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

. . .

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
Trolling taking place on trolling thread.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

. . .

[Linked Image]

I also thought of this. Not sure if intended.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It absolutely has to be. Alice has a pretty wicked sense of humor.

apprentice
apprentice
Good jokes, but I have to agree with the OP. Bioware games like DA:O are very consistent in establishing a mood, supported by world building, story, characters, music, presentation, gameplay, that feels like an immersive, traditional fantasy novel.

Larian games like DOS:1, DOS:2 and now BG:3 feel like a theme park of random fantasy cliches. The mood is all over the place. And this is true for every building block, starting with the highly inconsistent maps, a collection of party members that make the doom patrol look like average joes, gameplay elements that feel like shenanigans from a mischievous teenie comedy, a tutorial that starts with the DnD equivalent of an alien attack combined with an earthquake etc. etc.

DA:O, if it were a movie, would have been a moderately successful rip-off of LotR. BG:3, as well as its spiritual predecessors DOS:1 and DOS:2, would be in production hell, where the A team thought it was doing a spoof movie, the B team thought it was doing a melodrama, the writers thought they were creating a TV action series that is really a deep political allegory tackling a different topic each episode, the director would have a psychotic breakdown in the cutting room, and the producer would be fixated on the CGI action and the sex scenes and would want to publish the whole thing anyway, because that's what people pay to see, in the end.

Last edited by TimVanBeek; 08/11/20 09:19 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard