Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Originally Posted by C_Corday
I do not believe we will ever be free of the tadpole.

The powers granted from it, are like source powers form Divinity. I think that it will always be a part of us.

I think we are part of the adversary, and we have undergone complete ceromorphosis, we just don't look like Mind Flayers, and are not connected to, the elder brain.

Tadpole usage is optional. If you never use them, you do not get the dreams or any of their associated powers. They aren't like Divinity's source powers.

The devs have warned players about using them too and a negative side effect has been datamined.

S
Banned
Banned
S
The resurrection breaks the whole setting and every plot ever invented in it.
The Gods, any religion, any murder, social and cultural fabric of any society or kingdom, it all falls apart when resurrection is available.

Its a meta option added for players convenience. Thats why you always have to invent silly reasons why it cant be used in specific situations or isnt used everyday. Or just - not think about it - and simply play on.

Btw, shouldnt Gales orb of magic devouring - which is also Netherese in origin - be able to happily eat the tadpole and any magic contained in it?

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
You can work around that actually. This is no normal tadpole. So upon death it gets bound to your SPIRIT when you die as well. And reforms inside of your head upon resurrection.

Easy. Keeps immersion intact. A normal tadpole you can just crush. But THIS tadpole? It's some dark voodoo. Even the hag is afraid of it. And she's prepared for death. She shows her fear of the tadpole after you strike a deal to remove it and she flat out refuses. And if you kill her she's all "I was prepared to die".

The tadpole is scaring the hag more then DEATH. And the hag was prepared to die. But dangle an alien tadpole in front of her and she's going "F that, I'll just talk from my grave."

Last edited by Taramafor; 08/11/20 08:36 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Just fall asleep in the same room as The Child.

That little green bugger'll eat anything.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Taramafor
You can work around that actually. This is no normal tadpole. So upon death it gets bound to your SPIRIT when you die as well. And reforms inside of your head upon resurrection.

Easy. Keeps immersion intact. A normal tadpole you can just crush. But THIS tadpole? It's some dark voodoo. Even the hag is afraid of it. And she's prepared for death. She shows her fear of the tadpole after you strike a deal to remove it and she flat out refuses. And if you kill her she's all "I was prepared to die".

The tadpole is scaring the hag more then DEATH. And the hag was prepared to die. But dangle an alien tadpole in front of her and she's going "F that, I'll just talk from my grave."

If you talk to the dead Hag with speak with Dead, she suggest she will comeback, aka be resurrected. She's not afraid to die because she knows she won't be dead long.

Hags always live in coven, so she's not actually alone. Going by her letters, her coven is in Baldur's Gate.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Surface R
The resurrection breaks the whole setting and every plot ever invented in it.
Btw, shouldnt Gales orb of magic devouring - which is also Netherese in origin - be able to happily eat the tadpole and any magic contained in it?

I don't think so. Gale's Netherese destruction orb consumes "the Weave of powerful magic items". With regards to the orb, "only powerful magic items will keep it stable", so a living mind flayer tadpole held in stasis is not quite the same thing.

- Priest
S
Banned
Banned
S
Its not the items it eats, its the weave itself, the magic itself.

So,... well, the excuse could be if it eats away the magic that is used to change the tadpoles, the tadpoles would assume their normal functions or do it suddenly all at once, so that would not be a good thing to do. Still... one wonders how exactly that magic devouring orb doesnt devour any magic that comes close to it, including the one around or inside the tadpole.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

So,... well, the excuse could be if it eats away the magic that is used to change the tadpoles, the tadpoles would assume their normal functions or do it suddenly all at once, so that would not be a good thing to do. Still... one wonders how exactly that magic devouring orb doesnt devour any magic that comes close to it, including the one around or inside the tadpole.

That is a very interesting argument.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Nightsong couldn't do shit about tadpole either. And both are somewhat connected to Shar, Nightsong serves her and Gale's problem being shadow weave. Maybe it's about nature of magic shielding the tadpole. I am pretty greenish about the DnD lore but could it be that this "shield" magic is coming from Shar?

S
Banned
Banned
S
No idea, but the Gales orb isnt connected to Shar, at least from what he says about it.

veteran
veteran
No idea, but the Gales orb isnt connected to Shar, at least from what he says about it.

Not from what he says for from its nature. A bit of weave that eats magic is a description of the shadow weave and the shadow weave is a part of Shar.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Die, wait till it crawls out, resurrect...........Get a maul, splat someones head flat, resurrect..........Make a big bonfire and burn someone to bones, take bones to chapel and resurrect.

I see a great big fat plothole forming.........

Basically a 100% cure would be death, wait a bit then resurrect. Two instances of the tadpole crawling from dead host breaks the plot. I am unsure why someone with high wisdom especially a cleric wouldn't come to this conclusion.

This was already been pointed out and debated in a topic two weeks ago. Weakness of the premise or something like that.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by azarhal

If you talk to the dead Hag with speak with Dead, she suggest she will comeback, aka be resurrected. She's not afraid to die because she knows she won't be dead long.

Hags always live in coven, so she's not actually alone. Going by her letters, her coven is in Baldur's Gate.

Yes, but that just means she's still afraid of the tadpole. And had it been a NORMAL tadpole it would have been fine. But THIS tadpole terrifies her.

So she's prepared for DEATH of all things but not "some alien tadpole". Just how afraid do you have to be of something that even death is preferable? With how quickly she wanted it away from her once she found out it's like she was worried about her own safety. Perhaps because it could affect her in or beyond death itself.

Last edited by Taramafor; 09/11/20 01:26 PM.
addict
addict

Yes, but that just means she's still afraid of the tadpole. And had it been a NORMAL tadpole it would have been fine. But THIS tadpole terrifies her.

So she's prepared for DEATH of all things but not "some alien tadpole". Just how afraid do you have to be of something that even death is preferable? With how quickly she wanted it away from her once she found out it's like she was worried about her own safety. Perhaps because it could affect her in or beyond death itself.

The scene isn't "I'm not touching the tadpole, just kill me". The scene is "I'm not touching that" as if it was some smelly garbage and if you actually do the fight in the lair, and it doesn't bug out, she's going to try to get out of being killed with another deal too.

Last edited by azarhal; 09/11/20 01:43 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
incorrect.

as if it was some smelly garbage

Even been avoided because people assume the worst of you?

Except here it's not an assumption. She quite clearly shows emotional duress when finding out the tadpole is Netherese. The only reason she's not in a state of panic is because the tadpole hasn't yet brought the attention of the Netherese themselves. She wants to make very damn sure it remains that way. "Get it away from me before it puts me in DANGER." That's what it boils down too. She's a hag. She deals in gross. Wants the company probably.

Technically she's afraid of the Netherese. But the tadpole is Netherese itself considering it's been tampered with by them. Which is an interesting detail. She states it herself. Probably where the game is going to end up.

Plains of hell? At least it has a nice pub! But complete darkness and shadow magic? (that's what the Netherese is about btw) Thoughts like "Void" and "emptiness" start coming to mind. AH! That tadpole is going to attract their attention! Get it away from me!"

We're likely see more of the Netherese later in the game. Personally I know so little about them. Have looked them up though. They're likely manipulating the mindflayers. Note: Manipulation does not translate to lies and secrets. They may be allowing it. Or they may not. It's hard to tell. And if the mindflayers can be controlled... Well... Yea, I'm uh... putting this tadpole down and backing away very slowly now.

Last edited by Taramafor; 16/11/20 11:41 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard